Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Illuminado posted:

Really? I took exactly the opposite away from SFV coming from SF4. Vortexes were only with a few characters, and even then, you had a decent option select with a few characters. There was also a high degree of difficulty in executing most of those vortexes that was easy to mess up and leave you wide open to a DP, Throw on wakeup or Ultra worst case scenario. In SFV, I feel the defender is almost always the underdog, meaty hits abound and are hard to punish, and you'll end up being thrown on wakeup about 1/3 of the time. The other meta there is buffering an arbitrary number of light hits between 1-2 hits and THEN a tick throw. I've come close to eating my controller after the 3rd or 4th cycle of that.

Meatys are good things, it encourages actually blocking on wakeup which is a pretty foreign concept to a lot of people coming from SFIV. Not having to worry about people mashing out invincible moves or churning SPDs through frame traps is loving fantastic and is such a better playing experience. People having to actually deal with your buttons in neutral instead of just focus backdashing or whatever is also great

Illuminado posted:

Granted, I almost exclusively play Nash. So that could frame my experience differently, but I get the same feel watching other characters dealing with that the same way.

For Nash, specifically, his V-Trigger is supposed to be a "get out of jail free card", except that it has a decent amount of start up that can be interrupted in most of those wakeup cases, so you can't really rely on it to bail you out, and if that is stuffed you don't have a 3fr to counter effectively, and that pressure becomes a steep uphill battle.

Edit edit, words are hard.

His V-trigger isn't supposed to be a get out of jail free card otherwise it would be invincible. It actually should never be a thing that works in most situations but people gently caress up their meaty timings and it feels like it is. I am guilty of this and I feel dumb every time it happens to me

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
high low throw

...with 8 frames of lag

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: I really really hate the look of SF4 though. Everyone looks like a chunky fatty boom boom

I've expressed this a few times already, but I think Street Fighter V is every bit as guilty of that. A bunch of characters have these weirdly obese lower bodies.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Zand posted:

high low throw

...with 8 frames of lag

It's really only two and a half extra not eight extra :science:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Illuminado posted:

Really? I took exactly the opposite away from SFV coming from SF4. Vortexes were only with a few characters, and even then, you had a decent option select with a few characters. There was also a high degree of difficulty in executing most of those vortexes that was easy to mess up and leave you wide open to a DP, Throw on wakeup or Ultra worst case scenario. In SFV, I feel the defender is almost always the underdog, meaty hits abound and are hard to punish, and you'll end up being thrown on wakeup about 1/3 of the time. The other meta there is buffering an arbitrary number of light hits between 1-2 hits and THEN a tick throw. I've come close to eating my controller after the 3rd or 4th cycle of that.

Throws kill pressure outside the corner for most of the cast, and just doing a meaty without getting jabbed requires you to memorize multiple setups and react to the wakeup option used. I mean just look at this poo poo.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I don't mean to be an rear end in a top hat but if you're ever defending sf5 in a non ironic manner, even if its against like clay fighter, or that power rangers fighting game with ivan ooze you are fighting the most ridiculously losing battle you could possibly fight.

Capcom has done all the work of dismantling the game themselves OUTSIDE of gameplay.

The gameplay is bad.

Like sf4 was far from perfect, but let's just take the only bearable character. (juri)

She's worse in every way.

From theme (and this is petty bullshit), to game play, to combos and more.

She was better before (hell, best in sfxtk) she had actual screen control,
Decent damage, movement and had a "vtrigger" (dress it up as you like, something that builds faster when you're damaged than through and other method IS in fact the same ultra system) that was better than her current one outside of her v skill, which while useful, is useful in the scope of this game because they decided mix-ups shouldn't be a normal thing. But in the process kept some of her options and removed others without regard for her toolset, to the point where they gave her an air throw while keeping a j.mp that puts the opponent in a juggle state.

The usual "hey people always say the old game was better thing" is amplified a hundred fold by the game being on a non gameplay level, so MUCH worse than everything preceding it on launch. sf x tk and even marvel 3 were more complete on launch on both have their own unique train wreck stories.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 29, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SectumSempra posted:

even marvel 3 were more complete on launch on both have their own unique train wreck stories.

Someone please tell me the Marvel 3 Launch story I'm not old enough to remember it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

mycot posted:

Someone please tell me the Marvel 3 Launch story I'm not old enough to remember it.

poo poo I typed out a decently sized post but it deleted,

here's the gist

_mvc2 release date 2000, mvc 3 feb 2011, UMVC3 Nov 2011. says a lot on its own, because there was no update.

-robust story mode? 2 screen shots of comic per character

--partially completed characters found on disk, some never made it all the way to the end (doc oc)

-Phoenix being a creative idea for a fg, but one of the most wildly unbalanced things seen (lol at evo i was gonna post the jab crlllllll gif but can't find), and not yet attempted again so far.

-the changes actually made being silly things that kinda left the game in its current state (morrigan flight/unflight time being reduced just enough to make her chris g's money maker for a few years, sentinels health being nerfed like a week into the games life, vergil being added at all, but int he state he was and is)

- complex licensing and rushing the game to meet that, then removing it and it's dlc based on those.

Someone else will add on more likely than not.

There's even a cool 5 minute hype trailer they made featuring all the characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSSILyBYtfs

the game was so rushed, the full trailer isn't in umvc3's final game., it's about 2 minutes long on disk iirc.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 29, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

SectumSempra posted:

poo poo I typed out a decently sized post but it deleted,

here's the gist

_mvc2 release date 2000, mvc 3 feb 2011, UMVC3 Nov 2011.

-robust story mode? 2 screen shots per character

-Phoenix being a creative idea for a fg, but one of the most wildly unbalanced things seen, and not yet attempted again so far.

-the changes actually made being silly things that kinda left the game in its current state (morrigan flight/unflight time being reduced just enough to make her chris g's money maker for a few years, sentinels health being nerfed like a week into the games life, vergil being added at all, but int he state he was and is)

- complex licensing and rushing the game to meet that, then removing it and it's dlc based on those.

- zero buffed in between versions

2 screen shots per character for a versus series game is pretty legit compared to the rest of the series though, for what its worth.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Zand posted:

- zero buffed in between versions

2 screen shots per character for a versus series game is pretty legit compared to the rest of the series though, for what its worth.

it definitely is, but not when they promised and went on and on about how good the story was going to be.

It had some sick as gently caress songs on its ost, one even being a buff to one of sf4's better songs (viper theme), then other goodies like doom theme and phoneix theme, hell even vergils theme was good most others being hit or miss on opinion (x-23 for example)

In addition to zero being buffed, morrigan not only got that buff but also got a buff to make her more anti-phoenix, along with a system added that made a gameplay system anti phoenix along with phoenix getting nerfed (she is still viable if that helps give an idea to how incredibly broken the idea was)

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 29, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Marvel is dope.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Agoat posted:

Marvel is dope.

Oh it is, and has more personality and decisive ideas made than anything in sf5.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

mvc 3 feb 2011, UMVC3 Nov 2011. says a lot on its own, because there was no update.

They weren't even intending to do Ultimate(At least at that time?), they were intending more DLC, but the earthquake happened and everything got thrown off. At least, that's as I recall.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

lets talk strategy.

capcom has been using whats essentially the same strategy for hyping their games up in the west for a while now.

back forever ago, there was a game called SF Anniversary edition or something that was an xbox/ps2 release of 3S and Hyper SF2. This was set to release around the same time as Capcom Fighting Evolution. at the time, this was the first real lull in capcom style game releases but all the scenes were alive and well still, for the most part. CvS2 was still big, people still played 3s and mvc2. Anime was starting to pick up steam and kof 2003 was fresh.

capcoms basic strategy for game release hyping has been the same for a while. grab community heads or just names. have them write poo poo. people will write about it on srk or wherever.

capcom nabbed mopreme and kamui to do the 3s guide. they grabbed mr wizard and loving Maj even for the CFE guide. these guides are absolutely phenomenal by the way, i'm not making GBS threads on them at all.

anyway, the capcom strategy hasn't changed much except they just didn't really release poo poo forever. they grabbed seth killian for a few games, sf4 and sfxt. they grabbed buktooth for mvc3 and combofiend for a bunch of poo poo. these guys made guides and poo poo but also had a social media presence where they dispensed advertisements to people that interpreted them as genuine enthusiasm. they tweet or publicly interact on social media with other folks that have a profit motive, like the upper echelon of fg players that try to drum up pot monsters to farm for money, or maximillian.

i really wonder how many more times they are going to do this, because it doesn't seem to be helping with their sales numbers much anymore compared to releasing good games on schedule. the capcom Community Head-based hype machine bundled with early access to betas in SFV was really great at giving capcom a waiting stable of defenders that were already pot-committed to SFV. this gave them a pretty solid defense force for the obviously poo poo game they released but it didn't give them big sales numbers, they have failed to hit even 80% of the sales numbers they were supposed to hit 6 months ago.

compare this to other game company strategies for releasing fgs. they seem to be trying to create a good game and experience for their players and letting the quality of the game speak for itself. they seed tournaments and don't try to force their game down peoples' throats. look at ASW and what they've done with GG, especially revelator... it has robust training modes and mostly complete features at release, with more free updates down the line and DLC that is relatively fairly priced. while basically on the opposite end of SFV on the quality spectrum, this doesn't seem to be working either for sales or popularity.

so how about tekken?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I thought everyone hated Capcom Fighting Jam

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

It's ridiculous but I'm actually still to this day super disappointed about that trailer not being on disk.

The fanboy in me enjoyed every second and the creative in me enjoyed the idea of making the whole thing a freeze frame on a ton of fights that would probably leave most people curious (beside the one involving shuma)

It's also really fun looking for non obvious characters like jill, akuma and storm and especially loving dormmamu. behind trish v thor fight

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 29, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I thought everyone hated Capcom Fighting Jam

everyone did but they still got maj and others to make a guide for it. people also hyped it at played it at release, and it was a tourney game for months. it was meant to succeed cvs2, thats why they got maj.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm going to go out on a limb and say SFV is more fun than Clay Fighter and 'that power rangers fighting game with Ivan Ooze'.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say SFV is more fun than Clay Fighter and 'that power rangers fighting game with Ivan Ooze'.

mmpr fg is really fun outside of ooze and zedd. you should try it. it has snappy controls and cool powerful moves!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That power rangers game is fun as hell wtf

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
All of you suck rear end unless you hang out on Discord.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
-start game
-wait several minutes for everything to load and login
-join queue
-wait over 5 minutes to get a match
-wait almost another minute for everything to load and the match to start
-wait for all the superfluous stuff to disappear after the match is over and I get to rematch
-wait again after the second match, you probably go back to search after this
-wait for the main menu to load, wait even longer if you want back into training mode
-wait another 5 minutes for your next match
-get bored and try hosting a lobby
-spend 10 minutes kicking people not in your continent
-start to get bored and think about doing something else instead of rejoining the queue again
-the next time you think about playing sfv, you remember all that time you spent twiddling your thumbs instead of playing

The game in a nutshell for me.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I play survival to remember how to play and maybe turn on live play.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I never get connected to anyone. Pc or ps4

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

At poo poo levels you get connected to bots...

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Agoat posted:

All of you suck rear end unless you hang out on Discord.

I had a lot of fun last night, hope y'all who showed up did too.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 29, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

No one ever wants to play in the Discord when I ask :(

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SectumSempra posted:

Someone else will add on more likely than not.

original marvel 3 had a mode called shadow battle where you spent money to download teams with "custom AI that is totally based on whatever staff member/pro player/whatever gimmick" & if you won you got exclusive titles

umvc3 just doesn't have this mode for some reason, instead you get the titles by doing other stuff related to your stats tracking or heroes and heralds mode (ill get to that in a second). every other capcom fighting game DLC will transfer to the update but this didn't, gently caress you.

heroes and heralds mode was a really cool idea for a lot of reasons, but then the entire concept is ruined because the only way to actually play it is random ranked online, playing against the comically unfun button reading AI that will literally block everything but never jump the most basic zoning even on low settings, or spending an eternity setting up stuff in training mode to mostly emulate how versus mode is. this means that any kind of proper tournament or dicking around with weird builds against friends(the sort of things you'd expect from a "collect these cards & fight with them mode") could never really happen.

putting the two together, one of the shadow battles was "it's arcade mode but every team is three modoks". They were all the one color but otherwise it worked like a proper team & modok could calll modok assists and poo poo, just like the feature in the console versions of mvc2 that wasn't allowed in tournaments but was fun to dick around with. heroes and heralds has a card that makes it so your team is replaced by the first character x3, only instead of working like the thing they already coded and threw into the dumpster it's just three solo characters without any assists or anything meaning it's totally worthless because that's easier to program.

it's also worth pointing out the seeming lack of communication capcom & marvel had, which led to stuff like capcom being unable to put cyclops in the game because marvel doesn't make moneyy off x-men movies (so viper gets a laser eye special), she-hulk slide move being nerfed & then hawkeye (a zoning character and someone nobody gave a poo poo about in 2011 but who marvel needed to sell avengers merch for) getting a slide about as good in ultimate and magneto's DLC costume being removed from the game (unless you use a glitch that was later patched) because nobody at marvel said "hey, we got in poo poo from spain for using that outfit a few years back, maybe don't use that" during the several months it takes to develop, promote and upload to sony/microsoft servers and then capcom got in poo poo with spain so they removed it, replace it with nothing and basically just hoped everyone would forget about it.

and yet in spite of all this bullshit the game itself is pretty great, unlike sf5, because they outsourced development to the company that made bloody roar and a bunch of mediocre fighting games based on anime instead of the one that made launch strekken and sonic 4.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 29, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I occasionally like watching this game on stream but Chun instantly throws any excitement out the window.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
what if Capcom outsourced sf6 to arc system works

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Nodoze posted:

No one ever wants to play in the Discord when I ask :(

:(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dhamster posted:

it would have good music

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/JMDurden/status/792266434806157312

This is v. good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dhamster posted:

best selling game of all time

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mike z sounds very sad

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
The whole "dead game" thing is really tired at this point but dang, MikeZ's sounding like a real dingus here.

"Skullgirls has sold more copies on PC than USF4"
- Skullgirls is frequently on sale for 2-3 dollars. They've practically been giving the game away for years. Either way, comparing sales numbers is dumb. Try looking at the number of actual players instead. (Spoiler: USF4 and most other currently played games have far more players than SG)

"Outside of the FGC, SFV is dead as hell"
- Every fighting game is "dead as hell" outside the FGC.

Why even bring up other games? If you're going to trash other games maybe don't be a dumbass and namedrop USF4, a game that undeniably had more players than SG ever will. Over 2200 people signed up for USF4 at Evo last year; that's probably more than the total number of active SG players worldwide.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Ah yeah I remember Skull Girls when I downloaded it on PS3 some years ago and got about 2 matches every 30 minutes, with the same person. The entirety of FGC is defined by playing dead games long past they've rotted, so I dont see how you could seriously try to argue that any fighting game at any given point isn't dead. I guess he just got mad and started saying stupid poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dhamster posted:

Last time Capcom outsourced one of their games to ArcSys it was comically bad

halwain
May 31, 2011
I hate watching chun-li in pro matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal