Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Game ran like a dream on my older PC with lesser specs. Unless a recent patch hosed something up, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

LeninVS posted:

I tried to get back into this game last night/today

The game runs like dogcrap on my computer.
I have a Nvidia 1080 and i7 8700k. Normally I run every game in 3440x1440 ultra graphics no problem

I get stuttering FPS even on medium graphics.between 30-,60fps
I tried playing with some Nvidia settings, but I couldn't get it to work well.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thinking of just playing another game at this point.

Go to Nvidia Control Panel, then Manage 3D settings, Program Settings, find the SF5 executable to modify settings for, scroll down to Power Management Mode, select the "Prefer Maximum Performance" and then apply the settings.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Go to Nvidia Control Panel, then Manage 3D settings, Program Settings, find the SF5 executable to modify settings for, scroll down to Power Management Mode, select the "Prefer Maximum Performance" and then apply the settings.

Il try this when I get home.
I was enjoying my day 0 kage play.
Pretending to be evil Ryu is somewhat fun.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LeninVS posted:

I have a Nvidia 1080 and i7 8700k. Normally I run every game in 3440x1440 ultra graphics no problem

Anyone know how to fix this? Thinking of just playing another game at this point.

The game ran at 40-50fps in the menus and 20-30fps in-game regardless of the graphics settings until I manually cleaned up leftover registry entries which for some dumb reason fixed it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I had issues running SF5 when it came out and upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 fixed them, so it could be a registry/driver issue.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LeninVS posted:

Not sure if it'll help but Capcom just released a benchmark program for SFV:

https://game.capcom.com/sfv/benchmark/

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Can't believe I have to benchmark against a 5 year old game.

Anyone have suggestions on who I should try and main?

My execution is "okay", in sf4 I mained balrog with a pocket Eryu and Honda.
I think I liked the explosiveness of Eryu if you landed a mk fireball FADC.
I liked the footsies of balrog/Honda.

I'm trying to learn kage, and Im not disliking it. But I feel like something is missing.
I think I just miss FADC in some sick way.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Play Karin she is fun and you can make people real mad

e: fair warning I haven't played in like 6 months so I'm sorry if she is bad now

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm having a difficult time trying to choose a main, I usually go with "best looks" + "best punishes" and, well... noone fits the first criteria. What the hell, character design in this game is aggressively bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like Menat/Kolin's designs (Kolin's alt with the scarf is better than her default though) and new Seth

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LeninVS posted:

I'm trying to learn kage, and Im not disliking it. But I feel like something is missing.

I really like Gill’s V-Trigger combos.

The curtain falls!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I like Menat/Kolin's designs (Kolin's alt with the scarf is better than her default though) and new Seth

Both Menat and Kolin have real good designs. Hopefully they survive to show up in a better game as well.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the last few rounds of new characters almost all look way better than the original cast, like they figured something out or found a new guy to design everything

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

LeninVS posted:

I suggest you join New Challenger, it's a good discord with links to other character discord, tech documents, and free coaching for SFV and other fighting games.

I also committed some stuff I know about various characters to my dropbox. It's far from optimal in some cases, but provides a decent starting point

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like poison's story outfit

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

fair warning I haven't played in like 6 months so I'm sorry if she is bad now
the story of every current fighting game with seasons... every time i come back to one it’s all change!!

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Sestze posted:

I suggest you join New Challenger, it's a good discord with links to other character discord, tech documents, and free coaching for SFV and other fighting games.

I also committed some stuff I know about various characters to my dropbox. It's far from optimal in some cases, but provides a decent starting point

Love the notes.
Thanks for the discord advise, il join that tonight.

Did you main chun in sf4? I recognize the name.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

LeninVS posted:

Love the notes.
Thanks for the discord advise, il join that tonight.

Did you main chun in sf4? I recognize the name.
No, I was an ibuki main in SF4, though I tried to learn about the entire cast.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Play Karin she is fun and you can make people real mad

e: fair warning I haven't played in like 6 months so I'm sorry if she is bad now
Karin lost her walk-up throw loop in the corner and has increased pushback on st. mp.

Other changes were detailed here.

Karin is still very fun, she didn't lose any of her combo routes or ability to tack on additional damage/stun by spending meter post tenko.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 3, 2020

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I believe you were the first goon to add me on steam to run sets with like 100 years ago. I barely understood how to DP. I think I lost 200 matches before I took a round

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

LeninVS posted:

I believe you were the first goon to add me on steam to run sets with like 100 years ago. I barely understood how to DP. I think I lost 200 matches before I took a round
Once upon a time, yeah. I understand a little bit more about FGs now than I did back then :D

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm on board the Seth train SHOW ME EVERYTHING ORA ORA ORA

Seriously Seth is fun. Probably not quite top level, but I think a decent upper-mid/low-high guy. V Trigger 1 combos are fun too.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Finally coming back to this game lately since they've addressed (not fixed, but at least improved) the vast majority of issues I've had with the game since launch. Not too many people in the main FG discord interested in playing sets of this lately, is there still an SFV-centric goon discord for this or just anybody wanna pop in to the Goonsgarden discord and play some sets with me?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Judging by this thread I take it this game is mostly dead, but I'm thinking about buying it as a 90s SF nut (I suck at the game, but enjoy it for what it is). Is Championship edition worth it? I see a lot of folks selling keys for $5 but the upgrade is another $20 (which seems crazy to me, but I guess Capcom needs to make some dough).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bank posted:

Judging by this thread I take it this game is mostly dead, but I'm thinking about buying it as a 90s SF nut (I suck at the game, but enjoy it for what it is). Is Championship edition worth it? I see a lot of folks selling keys for $5 but the upgrade is another $20 (which seems crazy to me, but I guess Capcom needs to make some dough).

it's not dead in general at all, just dead among goons

anyway championship edition is literally all the overpriced dlc they've released over the years in one package so if you're enjoying SFV 20 dollars is actually a pretty good deal compared to how it was before

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the newer characters are more fun that a lot of the initial ones but if you can get the base game for cheap then do that and see if you like it.

The 30th anniversary pack also goes on sale pretty often so you could just play that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the best way to "hang around" when I'm on, on the off chance someone wants to play? The general FG discord in the OP of that main thread?

Edit: I see a game specific discord in this OP, but I dunno how busy it is.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 18, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Champion Edition is an insane value for the amount of content you’re getting. And the game is very active, you’ll have no trouble at all getting online matches. Unless you’re looking to play goons specifically, then you might have trouble.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
SFV at this point has gone from "poo poo" to "Okay" and CE is a more than adequate apology for the DLC volume

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah ive been playing more these days

CE did a lot to say sorry and im getting matches quickly

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'd play more, but they sort of nerfed everything I liked about Ibuki wrt setups since she can't do real setups on block and the Bomb is still kinda useless.

I haven't found another character I really enjoy playing like I did her. I like Menat but I'm poo poo awful at VT1 combos and without those she's really not that threatening.

Maybe I'll try Seth? They look really fun.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seth is great fun and I highly recommend saying SHOW ME EVERYTHING over and over again in fact just ham it up and quote them all day

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's other games I'd rather be playing but from chatting with locals the scenes where I live are this, Tekken or Smash and I prefer 2D fighters and having interacted with the Smash community here a few times I don't think I want to go down that road.

Currently playing Sagat and trying to get my fundamentals down, definitely need to keep working on my anti-airing at the moment and not panicking. Most of my losses so far are either me panic hitting buttons when I shouldn't or letting too many jump-ins go for free.

When it all goes well though, frustrating people with fireballs and tiger uppercutting them the second they try and jump in and rinsing and repeating is absolutely delightful.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Just wrapped up a session earlier. I was bombarded with training and updates to the game (probably 30 windows to close) and I was a bit confused as I saw different "Street Fighters" to choose from. Weird, but OK..

Played with Nash all the way through SFA on Normal mode and everyone was stupid easy, like they barely did anything. I know if/when I play online I'll get my rear end handed to me. Overall the game is fun, but still on the fence about paying for Championship edition. I might anyway since there's like half the roster that shows up with shopping carts (wtf).

I built my PC about 6 months ago but still really surprised at how smooth it ran without any choppiness. I think I still prefer Ultra SF4 but I'll keep at it for now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Characters have invincible rising moves to punish aggression, right? Like Ryu's DP? Does Cody have anything like that? Is that what his Bad Spray sand throw is for? Or does he have another tool I should be using there?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 20, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
As far as I know, Cody doesn't have a proper invincible reversal. V skill 1 is only invincible frame 3 so a properly timed attack will beat it if you're doing it on wakeup. Your best bet for getting out of pressure is using his v reversal on a blocked attack.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Bit more ranked last night, slowly progressing up towards Super Bronze.

Practiced some anti-airing before I queued and definitely felt like my execution was a bit better but still have a long way to go, I particularly keep getting EX Tiger Shot when trying to input EX Tiger Uppercut.

Fought against a Lucia who I really struggled with - her quick sliding dash that goes through even low tiger shots meant I felt like I had pretty much zero effective pressure at range because she was never going to jump when she could slide under it. I seemed to be able to punish it with cr.LK but inconsistently. By the final round of our set I was playing a much more footsies based game while using HP Tiger Shots to stuff her run-in attempts and felt like I was turning the tide but couldn't adjust quickly enough to prevent her taking the set.

That said, I finished the night closer to Super Bronze than where I started so that's satisfying and I'm pretty sure if I keep working on the problems I already know I have - anti-airing consistently and not pressing buttons when I don't need to - I'll hit Super Bronze soon.

Also shoutout to the Ultra Bronze Chun-Li I fought who threw a bunch of rapid unsafe pressure at me, got blocked and punished for it, tried it again twice more with the same results, and then ragequit as I was going to close out the round. :allears:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm LP 750ish, maybe we could play sometime? I'm brand new to FGC but I'm having a good time.

I did want to ask, it seems like, if I block a DP or some other attack that end with the enemy coming down in the air, I can't perform Cody's Final Combination while they're in the air? If I throw the first light punch they'll get hit by that but not the rest? Do I have that right?

Relatedly, should I be able to wait for them to land and then do Final Combination, or am I relying on my enemy to make a mistake there? I have some success doing that but I don't know if it's just my opponent being bad.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know much about Cody so someone else can hopefully help you there, but as a general rule of thumb you can punish whiffed DP using a crush combo which can then end on a super if you have meter

This is from a random YT search for Cody's crush counters (meaning I don't know if they all still work or whatever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_knfqfpdcNc

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm in Australia so if you also happen to be down that way I'd be happy for some matches.

Slid closer to Super Bronze tonight, sitting around 850LP.

Getting better at not panic mashing but still really, really need to work on my anti-airing. Every jump-in that doesn't get a Tiger Uppercut right to the face is a disappointment to the King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
drat, I'm in the USA; I'm guessing online play between AU and US isn't really going to work? Well, good luck in your matches though.