Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Oh shiiiit, I was all pumped to go to a big tourney today but I just realized my stick is PS3. Tourney is PS4. Is that not going to work, or will it be difficult to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Pausing a tournament so some guy who'll finish eleventeenth can gently caress around with his mangy bespoke poverty stick is a good idea.

That's my concern; I'd feel like an rear end fiddling with settings for 5 minutes just to get perfect'd twice in a row (the likely scenario).

But there's also a huge amount of worry in the FB event page about how DS4 controllers need to be manually desync'd after every fight and failure to do so is punished with a loss. So it doesn't sound like PS3 sticks are the only problem.

Asking on the event page, we'll see what they say.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

Went to a tournament on Monday in MD at a Thai place.

It was 40-50 people, and I was feeling comfy under the assumption it was mostly newcomers like myself. When I started watching casuals I saw a surprising amount of mistakes and/or non-applicable SF4 strats being pulled under pressure. Also a good sign.

Tournament was double-elimination so I gave myself maybe a 20% chance to win at least one match.

First match was my Ryu against Bison and I got wrecked. (Not a lot of people were playing him well in online casuals during the launch week, probably because he's so different now, so I didn't anticipate how much he fucks up Ryu when played properly.) I almost got a round in so I felt good about that. In retrospect I should've pressured him way more. I don't know how to do that well with Ryu but the alternative was eating my own fireballs so...

Regardless, first tournament match and my ego was still intact.

I actually won the second match in losers. It was a Ryu mirror in more ways than one; we were both trying to shake SF4 flowchart Ryu from our habits and our play-style was incredibly similar (and rusty). I won the match with (not exaggerating) a pixel of health with 1 second on the clock in the 9th round. I was at 15% to his 30% and felt confident he'd slip up trying to finish me, but then I realized there was only 6-7 seconds left. I yelled "OH poo poo TIME" and jumped in, which lead to us throwing hard normals randomly, and the right one just happened to connect for me.

e: (My yelling about time didn't distract the other player or anything, we were yelling and joking about our fuckups the whole time which was nice.)

It was a crazy and totally undeserved adrenaline rush and I loved it.

The next losers match came really quickly and I got pretty thoroughly demolished by a Laura. The Lauras online haven't been nearly as tricky so far.

Still, 1 for 3 is better than I was expecting. They're starting a 9-week league that I might try to attend most of, even though it's an hour away and on weeknights. I guess I'm a little hooked at this point.

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 25, 2016