Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Heavy Metal posted:

How do I do that?

hatefuck them with your crushcounter whiff punish button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Hydrocodone posted:

After your match, a caster crushes your DS4 in their powerful hands to assure a desync.

Don't call them "casters". Jesus christ.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Lothire posted:

Yay SFV.

(Necalli words..)

Normals are definitely his weak point. Often I get zoned out with jabs or quick mediums that are difficult to whiff punish. Standing HK is his best normal imo but won't ever hold up against the real footsie players, or even a mediocre chun or nash. It's a tough spot to be in. Groundpound works sometimes (especially in trollmode), if your opponent is being mindless about it, but this is risky.

I haven't really found a good answer for this yet.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/701947647398023168

SFV server maintenance extended "indefinitely"

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Benson Cunningham posted:

I can't break 3000lp and it is driving me crazy. Four times today I was around 2,9XX.

Is there a list of all invincible moves anywhere, and how long invis frames last?

I made a table of reversals and each characters fastest normal... it's really more for trying to figure out safejumps and frametraps so probably not super accurate, or what you want.

I can update it if there is something incorrect.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

General Morden posted:

laura's ex shoulder charge has one hit of armor and is her reversal move

idk why you put dictator's EX head stomp as a reversal option. his only reversal option is super or v-reversal.

shoulder doesn't have armor until frame 3

headstomp is commonly used as a reversal.

fnox posted:

Ken's LP shoryu and EX shoryu are both 3f.

lp shoryu is only lower body invincible

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
yes

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

That... is loving dirty.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Sticks being big are a good thing, especially if they're also heavy. You don't want a stick walking all over your lap if you get a little too enthusiastic with motions, as newer stick users tend to be.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/haunts/status/703372557836156928

https://twitter.com/haunts/status/703372724215762944

I am not sure if he is serious or not.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Color 10 Fang is legit and it's the only Fang color I will ever use.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff.

It's the animation of a particular move. Each move (and thus animation) in the game has 3 parts to it:

1) Startup, the animation of the move before it is able to hit.
When someone says "Necalli has a 3 frame jab" it means that Necalli's jab (LP) has 3 frames of startup animation. (Actually it gets complicated there, but I'll keep this simple)

2) Active, the animation of the move while it is able to hit.
Active frames are basically never referenced by anyone, but generally, the more active frames, the easier it is to perform a meaty attack.

3) Recovery, the animation of the move after it is unable to hit.
Lots of recovery frames are bad, and makes a move easier to whiff punish. With many moves, you can CANCEL the recovery frames by immediately performing a special move. The recovery of a move (in combination with its block-stun or hit-stun) determines if a move is at frame advantage or not. If a move is -3 on block, that means it can be punished by a move with 3 frame startup, or you can do whatever you want for 3 frames because they're still in recovery.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

anyone know about streaming stuff? My friend who occasionally streams ST and SF4 can't capture his PS4 because of the hdmi encryption layer(or something like that, hes getting a "Game is copyrighted" error) on his avermedia device. Is this something easy to get around?

Disable HDCP in settings>system. It should be disabled by default when the game is being played though sooooo

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Shady K also did a lot of the Ultra guide which was really good.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
The only reason the guy never won SF4 at evo is because "the best street fighter player in the us by a solid margin" is barely enough to put him in the running for Top 10 in the world.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Jesus loving christ we get it. I don't particularly enjoy the game either, but you fuckers going on and on and on and on and on about how much you hate the game is tiresome as gently caress.

Please post more dante gifs or shut the gently caress up

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Looks like the only difference (that I can see) is the TE2 opens up and has a little storage space. They use the same parts and have the same layout.

Another option is the Hori RAP4, which is cheaper. The Hori uses proprietary buttons and stick but (now) they are pretty good.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

Does anyone else have the problem where the game thinks they're somewhere they're not?

I'm almost 100% positive that's not where Seattle is.

It happens to some people... PR_Balrog is apparently in Indiana somewhere.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Arzachel posted:

Most of her knockdowns leave you at 0 or less after forward dash ...

Most of her knockdowns give great meaty pressure actually. All of them in fact.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Arzachel posted:

I'm going off wrong information then and will have to lab that myself.

Basically:
Forward throw = f.hp (link into lk)
Command grab = lp elbow (link into lp)
Back throw = dash, grab
By this time you can already tell if they didn't quick rise, and if they didn't then immediately dash and throw out a standing mp, which (I think) is meaty enough to link into even cr.hp.
The back throw is probably the weakest, meaty-wise, but actually it's the best Oki-wise.

The elbow follow-ups have similar setups as well but I don't actually remember them off the top of my head. I think maybe they are the same as forward throw, but I'm phone posting and can't check, also I don't really play Laura.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

SectumSempra posted:

I feel like for my level this game has very little to offer. I don't like ranked. ( i feel like people play stupidly and it takes too long to rank up to 'good' people)

I don't play randoms and the person I played sf4 with since vanilla is more interested in the division than this game.

It also feels like there aren't enough archetypes.

Hey man.. there is a discord chat thingy with goons of your level that way to play all the time (sorta). Honestly you should play with people much better than yourself to get better, so maybe see if you can find the goonsgarden irc channel (if they haven't given up on this game yet (lol) or even assuming that channel still exists).

I think there is a link in the op. Maybe.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Gootecks seems like a dude who'd be super fun to hang out with once every six months, and that's it.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

teagone posted:

I feel like even if you only hung out with Gootecks every six months, he'd still not offer to pay for anything and mooch off of you.

I seriously doubt it. He so desperately wants to be seen as successful and important that he'll break the bank to prove that his life is amazing constant fun. Plus once he blows up on you/tiny Korean child for looking behind the curtain/running into the camera, you don't feel as bad because he was always a dick.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

I saw this on Reddit and everyone was acting like it's a new thing but I'm pretty sure someone here made a video about it weeks ago. (Or posted the video weeks ago at the least)

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

oswald ownenstein posted:

Wait is this SF4 or SF5? I thought they overhauled Vega in SF5 to make him good and his specials not suck

Well it's not punishable in sf4 except by some supers.

THIS HAS BEEN YOUR USELESS VEGA SHENANIGAN OF THE MONTH AND PROBABLY THE LAST ONE EVER.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
What does that even mean?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is cr.HP the go to normal for cancelling into specials for Laura? And is there a reason the trials all use jmp.HK to start combos? It seems like a badass anti-air but jmp.HP looks like the better jump in.

I like Laura's style but it's hard not to go dumb with her elbow and forward->HP->HP->air throw thing.

Edit: Any handy beginner tips for her would be cool really. I'm switching off between her and Mika, and then using the Ryu guide posted last page when the salt is too strong.
cr.mk will combo into lp elbow, if it hits you're something like +2 so you can do a mp(?)/throw mixup. I don't remember what it is on block but I think it's safe? Maybe.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

CrashTestVictim posted:

I know isn't a deluge of FANG info floating around but does anyone know what the frame data is on FANG's cr.HK (crush and non) xx V-trigger is? I'm having some issues comboing out of it sometimes compared to df.HP xx V-trigger. How do I even calculate advantage on V-Trigger cancels?

+6 +8. Links into cr.mp normally or standing HP on counter hit.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Dear person struggling with zangief: find a friend who plays zangief, hope he is better than you. Learn.

I've been playing the same Zangief player for like 3 years now, and I've won maybe a hundred matches. Ever. But losing so much has undoubtedly made me a better player. Other giefs do not stand a chance.

Just play. Lose a lot. Then don't lose. Simple.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Oh my God the controller thing still isn't solved? Holy loving poo poo. I'm not one to repeatedly say how bad the game is (it is) but that is straight embarrassing.

Honestly that is sad. And it makes me sad.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

My penis was chafed jackin it to prenerf Ramlethal (i do it raw)

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I don't play shooter games fps or otherwise but...
Because we're talking about out other video games in this thread now, let me just say Stellaris is the SFV of Paradox games.

So...there's that. Glad to help out.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Is there a Tekken primer for street fighter players anywhere?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
The worst part of playing SF5 is; it's boring as gently caress.

This might seem weird or whatever, but to me, there is no chance to "express yourself" if yall will excuse the flowery language. Every character plays the same. Used to be, you could see Infiltration play Akuma and Tokido play Akuma and spot their different playstyles and appreciate both. Like the difference between Diminion Guile or NuckleDu Guile. Snake eyes and Vangief. There is none of that now. Daigo looks like Tokido. Momochi plays exactly like 10 other Kens. A dude who posts in this thread and is pretty good plays EXACTLY like Itabashi Zangief.

The game is sad as gently caress and literally everyone knew it as soon as it came out. I'm not even talking about the lag or lovely hit boxes but just general fun. I used to play with a solid 8 people very regularly in USF4 (a deeply flawed game itself) and basically everyone hates this game. I talk to these people about our gardens now, or drinking stories, or about dumb FGC members. What a ruined opportunity.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

Because frankly most fighting games feel the same to watch.

What a load of ignorance. And if you really said "And to play" and edited it out, just play more than one fighting game. They are free on fightcade. Easy to set up, every single one of them even has an arcade mode which I'm sure is right up your alley.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

cams posted:

sorry, i meant the guy named mrapples who would hang out in the discord. if i am getting the name right, he played gief and is by far the best goon sfv player i rolled with.

This is from 20 pages ago, but I rarely check this thread sooo...
1) the dude you're talking about is Mr. Rascal (my nigga, what up dude, I'm taking a very long vacation let's play some turf masters this weekend) and he is just generally very smart and good at fighting games.
2) Mr rascal despises sfv
3) you're pretty good at fighting games so I can respect that but bebop would loving ruin you.

Also lol @ all this malware poo poo.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Can anyone please summarize? 8 frames is not a thing anymore? Or it is? But like7.5 frames? Or its still not as good as PC minus antialiasing? But close?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

attackmole posted:

I was playing Revelator yesterday with someone who insisted on using the kinda hazy washed out colour that everyone has somewhere in the 20's and it made me hate them because that scheme makes me feel like my monitor is dying.

You mean the pastel color? It's 19 and it's the best Jack-O color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Hey does anyone still have very very old SF threads bookmarked?

I remember the first or second post of a certain thread had a ton of great matches from the last generation. And a lot of them were from the 25th anniversary Tournament I thinkk or maybe the first Capcom Cup.

It might have been the generic fighting game thread though... I'll copy paste this there so everyones eyes can see it.

One i remember was Chris G vs Sakonoko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NqBXL4AaRo

I wanna say one was Infiltration Akuma vs...... maybe it was Daigo??? or Maybe Valle? It was some ryu.

I don't have any care for the current game but i still love watching the old matches and reminiscing about the best of the best back in the day.

EDIT: Pomp, Zand, Dias still post in this thread? Jesus, yall still hating on the SF5 kids?

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 10, 2019