Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I gave up on ranked matches today. 11 matches. 3 losses, 2 wins, 6 disconnects when I was about to win or right after I had won.

What's the loving point, man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

if you were about to win, and the other guy disconnects, you still won. who gives a poo poo if some dumb number goes up.

I do.

On as EasternSasquatch. Someone come do fights with me.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

It's old tech they've implemented before, so it's safe to assume they're at least aware it's a thing.

I've quit three games so far. Two because I let myself get angry, 1 because it was against a guy who had previous DC'd when I won. Out of probably 200.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 22, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I'm having some difficulty with R.Mika, specifically some of her options when she gets in. I'm having difficulty reacting in time when I block or get hit by a cr.lp, and then eat a command throw right after.

Any suggestions?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Hydrocodone posted:

I think Zangief and R Mika are the most heroic characters because they just have wrestling training and they still go out there to fight people who can throw fireballs.

Is there a looping gif of Gief's vacuum yet?

Zangief can turn his skin into iron and absorb fireballs with his face. He is terrifying.

R. Mika I buy though.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I can't break 3000lp and it is driving me crazy. Four times today I was around 2,9XX.

Is there a list of all invincible moves anywhere, and how long invis frames last?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Right now the game feels really decently balanced

Said a non zangief main.

Sarcasm aside, I agree overall.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I just made some top 200 guy quit out of a casual match after perfecting him in the final round. When you aren't even top 1k, feels good man.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone interested in an SA SFV tournament?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Just watching snake eyez, I'm fairly certain daigo is going to obliterate him if they meet at evo. Li Joe and Art both look stronger at the moment too.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Poison Jam posted:

That I can confirm. It was the weirdest waste of time and I don't understand why they've done it like that. Looks like I'll have to train for a good while and try to figure out what in gods name you guys are on about with regards to moves because these terms are pretty much alien to me but it's not like I don't have the time. My disability kinda prevents me from playing more than about 15 minutes at a time so I guess I'd better make the most of each session by training like mad with a dummy. A dummy that can and does kick my rear end. I've just realised I'm coming off as an angry dick, I'm just bad at the game and I didn't mean to come across like that. You guys seem pretty cool trying to help people get better so I'm sorry for coming across like a raving lunatic.

Try using Birdie. He has strong pokes. Throws don't deal that much damage so focus on blocking and attacking more than teching.

Stop jumping all the time (assumption). Stop using cr.hk over and over. Learn what every button you have does, even if you don't use it.

Also post a video or two. Review your matches. Does every opponent jump at you after you do X? Now you know a tendency that your play style is creating in your opponents and you can exploit it.

When you counter with a jab, can you do another jab then link a lp/lk version of one of your specials? Try it with the characters you use and find out.

How many different patterns do you have? Are you mixing up jumpins, throws, overheads, lows, jump in lows, crossups, armor moves, and general spacing?

Do you know what ranges you threaten? Do you know what ranges you're weak at? Do you try to AA crossups and eat huge damage all the time?

Don't rely on the animation to tell you when you can hit a button. Test in training mode and read frame data.

It's really hard to say what your problem is without seeing you play. If you perfect very basic combos though and don't just face roll, you should at least win sometimes. Hell, if you pick ken and uppercut 100% of the time, you will still win more than 0 matches.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 31, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

So what's the consensus? Alex seems pretty garbage tier at the moment.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

My mains online are birdie and gief :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

My local scene is like 6 people so online is basically all I get.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

The gief and r.mika costumes are outrageously good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

!Klams posted:

Yeah. It feels to me (although I have no idea if it's true) like at some point he had it, but that at the same time his spd did way more damage. Then during play testing they removed the palm, but then also at some point lowered the damage. It just really feels like either there should be more payoff for managing to get in, or a way to get in. Not neither.

He seems really hard to balance. V-Trigger links off almost everything and you can ex air spd after for around 400 damage. His H.SPD still does about 1/4th of most character's life. He has possibly the best ult in the game.

If he has an easier way to get in, he could quickly become a very oppressive character. It'd be cool if absorbing a fireball with his F.HP increased his walk speed for a short time, or something like that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

What is an ult

Sorry I've been playing a lot of League lately so I call everyones critical art an ult.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't like charge characters because I always gently caress up charge timing and there's nothing more frustrating than dropping a combo because you were just a little too quick moving out of your charge motion. :(

Overall it feels like the length you have to hold charges for are way down in this game compared to Ultra.

Anyone else entering Dreamhack next month? I'll be there.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I'm sorry everyone. I didn't mean to call critical arts ults. Let's heal and move past this.

In street fighter related news, I made Kreymore rage quit so that was nice.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

This one guy Pomp cares. He cares a whole lot.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Pomp posted:

no hill too small to die on

The word you're looking for is tump.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

akadajet posted:

So it's mostly an avoidance game. I wasn't having much luck with anti-airs but probably slow execution on my part.

Go into training mode and practice shoryu on a jumping zangief dummy. If you can't anti air with shoryu you should seriously consider a different character with a strong one button anti air, like Birdie.

After doing a jump in on gief, are you mixing up or doing the same thing over and over? Try neutral jump or throw if he blocks. Keep him guessing.

The biggest reason new players lose to average or below average players Is predictability.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, fine. Fine is just a polite way of saying bland.

I'll give it to you that Birdie and FANG look pretty cool but the models have some serious clipping issues. The others are either just okay or have looked cooler in past games. Cammy doesn't even have her camo, that's the entire reason she's named Cammy goddammit.

When I try to grab with birdie and my fat dumb hand passes entirely through the opponent's face without connecting it makes me upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I hung on until I saw the S4 patch notes, but I just can't anymore. I'm out.

Better luck in SFVI, Capcom.