Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

nickmeister posted:

Is there a way I can make my stick a PS4 stick instead of PS3? I was using it this weekend at a local tournament and got noticeable lag on the PS4. Would rather mod instead of paying $200 if possible.

You could buy a brook superconverter for $40 instead. (Assuming you can find one in-stock anywhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Lhet posted:

Anybody know what circuitboard I need to buy to have a proper PS4 fightstick? I'm seeing conflicting information on some of them (PS4 listed on one page/missing on another page, something about 8 minute timeout, things about lag, etc).

Brook's got a board that should work well - they're the ones who make the converters (which also work very well) and they've been pretty on-point with pushing updates every time Sony fucks with compatibility.

If you want to avoid any possible 8-minute issues entirely, you'll probably have to go with a retail madcatz stick - as far as I know they're the only ones that Sony won't be loving with.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

FrankieGoes posted:

Would one of those USB MAME 6 or 8 button + joystick controllers be good for this? I've been thinking about getting one anyway so I can get really angry while playing Joust and if it worked great for SF5 that'd be a big bonus. tia

Unless it uses xinput, it won't work well at the moment.

An xbox 360 or xbox one stick should work though.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm still down in rookie and even 0 lp players do it to me. why are you rage quitting when you lose nothing?

Quitting gives the opponent nothing though, right?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

alecm posted:

Is there any more detail here? I can only use Google Translate, and it's really ambiguous about whether these ports are required for outbound or inbound traffic. It's hard for me to believe TCP 80 and 443 inbound are used. Seems like UPNP isn't used, for the PC version at least.

I never bother forwarding 80/443 and things always work fine.

Hydrocodone posted:

I've been looking at fight sticks too and considering a Madcatz, the HORI RAP4, and whatever shows up on craigslist.

The HORI seems great but I don't like how gigantic it is. And I haven't heard any reason for it to be that big other than if you find it more stable on your lap.

What I'm really curious about is if there's any delay or similar problems using one of the Brook USB stick converters for PS3 > PS4. And when you do, is that when you use legacy authentication or does the converter avoid that?

Hori isn't always easily upgradeable, as I understand it, so be wary of buying their sticks if you ever want to replace sticks/buttons.

The converters work very well; no noticeable lag at all. The only issue is that periodically PS4 firmware updates will kick them back into 8 minute mode, but that's fixed quickly by the manufacturer w/a firmware update for the converter.

I own the PS3>PS4, Xbox 360/One>PS4, and PS3/4>Xbox One converters and they all work great.

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

edit- Also I am going out to find a Hori Fighting Pad thing. I am pretty sure Hori is Japanese so hopefully a local electronics shop has something because it takes forever to get something sent to Japan from the US.

If you have trouble finding it locally, e: nevermind, that's the old PS3 one, ignore me

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables?

No. The game renders at a fixed 60 fps. It is unplayable on low-end machines because of this, but it's very critical to the gameplay.

You can't have variable frame rates because of the moves - a 7 frame move has to be 7/60th of a second the first time and every time after that.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ZenVulgarity posted:

The only think I don't like about the hitbox is it seems like you're paying 225 for 80 work of parts

So go make your own? :P

Yorkshire Tea posted:

What I'd really like is a hitbox with the buttons reversed. Since I played my entire time on keyboard I'm used to movement being sat on my right and buttons on my left.

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120

You could build your own with a case like this and then just flip the top panel over so that the button layout is reversed.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah putting the case together would probably be fine, but if you put me near circuitry it explodes.

Good boards are screwdown terminals - no soldering or anything.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Constellation I posted:

So, uh, just for shits, I listed my pre-order Bison code on eBay. I set it to a $5 bid then put a Buy It Now price of $40. Some dude bit on the $40, which is wayyy too much. The guy only has 3 feedback, but at a 100%. I'm tempted to go through with it, but man, this seems like such a scam since eBay doesn't have seller protection.

I would never trust ebay/paypal for digital transactions like that - he can simply report you afterwards as providing a bad code (even if that's an outright lie) and get all $40 back.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If you're serious about going into more details, then I'd totally appreciate just a list of poo poo I needed to go with http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=tek&tekid=1&tversion=official&item=120 to make my own, including what kind of specs I'd need for the case.

Ideally I'd like smaller buttons, but I'm not fussy.

That link is the case. You just need to pick the Hitbox Layout - 8 Button option on the Top Panel. Hitbox uses 24mm buttons by default for everything except the jump button, which is 30mm.

For everything else, it's completely up to you how you want the stick to look. He's got all sorts of color options for the plexiglass. I went pretty simple; everything is clear except a few mirror panels:

Brook has a universal board coming out soon that covers every console imaginable:

http://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-universal-fighting-board-ps3-ps4-xbox-360-xbox-one-pc

They also have an older PS3/PS4 option available, but it doesn't have the nice screwdown terminals. You'd have to be willing to do some soldering:

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-ps3-ps4-fight-board-pcba/

Those options would prevent the need to use a converter on PS4. However, if you don't mind the converters, you could use the older PS360+ that supports everything but PS4 (I don't count the 8-minute mode) and then buy a brook converter to go with it, but this adds a slight bit of annoyance having to carry the converter around as well.

https://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/

https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-3-to-playstation-4-usb-adapter/

(and the converters are sold out quite a bit right now)

The buttons are a little harder for me to give tips on, as a friend did the actual build of ours - his is a hitbox, mine a normal stick. He did custom wiring harnesses, so I can't give a quick link like the PCBs :) (though he's saying it's as easy as crimping some connectors together, as long as you measure right)

I will say that having the Neutrik connector is really nice, as if makes the cable nicely detachable.

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Mattavist posted:

You also need to configure the front panel for the USB/Start/Select/Home button cutouts.

True; or the side panels for those who prefer those buttons on the side. (though you'd still need to plan for a cable)