Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There's other games I'd rather be playing but from chatting with locals the scenes where I live are this, Tekken or Smash and I prefer 2D fighters and having interacted with the Smash community here a few times I don't think I want to go down that road.

Currently playing Sagat and trying to get my fundamentals down, definitely need to keep working on my anti-airing at the moment and not panicking. Most of my losses so far are either me panic hitting buttons when I shouldn't or letting too many jump-ins go for free.

When it all goes well though, frustrating people with fireballs and tiger uppercutting them the second they try and jump in and rinsing and repeating is absolutely delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Bit more ranked last night, slowly progressing up towards Super Bronze.

Practiced some anti-airing before I queued and definitely felt like my execution was a bit better but still have a long way to go, I particularly keep getting EX Tiger Shot when trying to input EX Tiger Uppercut.

Fought against a Lucia who I really struggled with - her quick sliding dash that goes through even low tiger shots meant I felt like I had pretty much zero effective pressure at range because she was never going to jump when she could slide under it. I seemed to be able to punish it with cr.LK but inconsistently. By the final round of our set I was playing a much more footsies based game while using HP Tiger Shots to stuff her run-in attempts and felt like I was turning the tide but couldn't adjust quickly enough to prevent her taking the set.

That said, I finished the night closer to Super Bronze than where I started so that's satisfying and I'm pretty sure if I keep working on the problems I already know I have - anti-airing consistently and not pressing buttons when I don't need to - I'll hit Super Bronze soon.

Also shoutout to the Ultra Bronze Chun-Li I fought who threw a bunch of rapid unsafe pressure at me, got blocked and punished for it, tried it again twice more with the same results, and then ragequit as I was going to close out the round. :allears:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm in Australia so if you also happen to be down that way I'd be happy for some matches.

Slid closer to Super Bronze tonight, sitting around 850LP.

Getting better at not panic mashing but still really, really need to work on my anti-airing. Every jump-in that doesn't get a Tiger Uppercut right to the face is a disappointment to the King.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I made Super Bronze last night!
Six times. And then fell back into Bronze again at the end of the night. :v:

Feels like a universal constant that my first match after getting Super Bronze is a wifi warrior or someone about to throw my lifeless body aside to rank up into Silver. Ah well, I'll get there in time.

Some good games though, and definitely some learning progress - learning how to punish Karin's Rassenha over the course of three match ups against a player I kept running into until I could consistently take sets from them was satisfying. Also getting owned by a Ryu who did nothing but a jump in combo over and over before matching with him again and consistently tiger uppercutting every single jump-in. We then rematched and he did....exactly the same thing again as I tiger uppercutted him into oblivion.

Working on st. MP, cr. MP xx Tiger Uppercut as a starting combo for Sagat - struggling to get crouching DPs motions off consistently with a pad though so definitely something I need to keep drilling in training to get in to my muscle memory.

Also getting one hell of a thumb callous going.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Nice job!

There's actually a trick to crouching DP combos like that, you don't have to input a complete DP motion after pressing crMP

So, for example, you could do this:

Forward + st MP, down + crMP, down-forward + HP or whatever and you'd still get the DP at the end. Basically you hit the down portion of the motion at the same time as your cr MP. It's also the secret to doing a standing normal in a combo with a down up charge move!

Depending on how long the buttons are, you might have to input forward AFTER st MP but before your crMP, but it's the same idea

Thanks for this, I'll try and give it a whirl in training mode for a while today - I'd seen a video that had discussed doing df, d, df as a shortcut for DP from crouching moves but it didn't feel consistent and was shredding my thumb, that seems a lot more manageable.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh awesome, I've seen/read a bunch of these guides but didn't know you were a goon - thanks so much for these, I really appreciate the straightforward way they're written.

Ranked update: Super Bronze and hovering around the 1000-1200 range consistently. Every Ultra Bronze I've fought lately I've come pretty close to winning which is comforting, but have been let down by execution or match-up unfamiliarity.
Working on getting some combos into my muscle memory but finding the link timing challenging, though double tapping is helping with that a bit - most of the fighters I've played recently have had gatling or cancel systems so I'm used to a certain degree of dialling in a combo that SFV doesn't let me get away with.

This is also where I start wanting to play other characters even though I know it's probably better for me to just stick with Sagat and knuckle down on learning him. It's not that I don't enjoy Sagat, more that this game has a lot of cool characters.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sestze posted:

honestly, play who you like.

80% of the cast here I come :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Progress report, climbed to Ultra Bronze tonight. :toot: Got knocked down shortly after but climbed back up by the end of my session!

Really digging Sagat still, I've always enjoyed zoners and playing the patient, frustrate-my-opponent slow game. It's interesting seeing the other playstyles in Super/Ultra Bronze that I've encountered so far - I'm commonly encountering people who have practiced a particular combo to perfection. It's always hugely damaging, they go for it any chance they get, and it swings matches for them because although I'm landing the occasional hitconfirm or f+HK into heavy Tiger Uppercut it just doesn't put out the same level of damage that quickly. They only need to create just a couple of openings to win, whereas I'm achieving victory more through the slow grind down.

I'm finding a lot though that generally these single-combo players have no clue what to do if someone plays patient and defensive, especially the ones who have no other way to launch into the combo other than through jump in.
I think I need to spend some time practicing some better punishes and confirms, just to make sure I'm maximizing the opportunities that I do get.

Think I might play around with Bison for a bit soon as well - he's currently my nightmare matchup and I want the opportunity to be an rear end in a top hat with plus frames absolutely fuckin' everywhere too.