Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Goddamn I'm really loving the game right now. Evil Canadian spent an hour last night kicking my poo poo in, but I actually feel like I might be getting better at this.

If only we could have Mortal Kombat X's presentation with SFV's netcode and actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Arzachel posted:

If by presentation you mean having an actual story mode

Well that and characters that wear clothes. Oh and other non-story modes, like challenge towers.

Like poo poo, when did MK become the more progressive series?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The protagonists of MKX are a white girl,a black girl, a gay dude and a mixed race asian dude. They all wear clothes. It's pretty cool.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Foodahn posted:

Basically:
Forward throw = f.hp (link into lk)
Command grab = lp elbow (link into lp)
Back throw = dash, grab
By this time you can already tell if they didn't quick rise, and if they didn't then immediately dash and throw out a standing mp, which (I think) is meaty enough to link into even cr.hp.
The back throw is probably the weakest, meaty-wise, but actually it's the best Oki-wise.

The elbow follow-ups have similar setups as well but I don't actually remember them off the top of my head. I think maybe they are the same as forward throw, but I'm phone posting and can't check, also I don't really play Laura.

Elbow followups:

You're at +2.

Backthrow on 5 frame startup will beat anything apart from a Jump, a backdash or a tech and is safe. If you're really fast you can even anti-air a neutral jump.

Cr. MP is 5 frame startup and will beat anything apart from them blocking since it frametraps 3 frame jabs. It leads back to LP elbow for more fun. LP does the same but is just worse.

HP Command throw will lose to jumping and lose to three frame jabs, but hit significantly harder than either throw or Cr. MP.

There's not much else worth mentioning. Go for backthrow until they start teching. Then go for Cr. MP until they start blocking. Then command throw them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I really like SFV. It's the first fighting game in a while where I can actually see myself improving and that has an actual PC community with real support.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Faffel posted:

The PC version has support? How many betas and now over a month later and it still doesn't do xinput?

I play on Keyboard.

And I mean the most recent release I have to compare this to is MK10 where you had to do 40 hit combos with lag that made basically anything completely unplayable on PC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
When you hit an MK and you instinctively hit V-trigger for combo extension for the first time.

I'm getting better.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I loved SG, but I crushed all my friends playing it so they all quit and there isn't much of a goon community around it. Playing online ends up just being a bit soul destroying when you can't play anyone you actually know.

SFV is good because I can at least chat poo poo on discord after a match and find games against people who'll kick my poo poo in and then tell me why they were managing to do it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Lemon-Lime posted:

All the female characters' design in Skullgirls was loving atrocious, which is a real shame since the game has a fantastic aesthetic and also Big Band. :(

I thought Parasoul's was pretty stylin'

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

inthesto posted:

Or rather the you can't keep headbutt charged after low rush

Wait, does this mean you can't Headbutt -> Super?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Once again if you're in Europe, enjoy a day where you can't play the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gammatron 64 posted:

You're going to have a harder time playing on one. Seriously. DPs and charge characters are much, much easier with a square gate. If you are a charge character, you're going to want to hold down-back a lot and it's a lot harder when you have a slope instead of a corner. And circular gates? Forget about it.

You can technically play well with an octagonal if you wanted to, just like there are many great pad players out there (and if you play pad, you'd want a special Sega Saturn style fightpad as standard Playstation controllers are tough to use for fighters), but I'd say all you'd be doing is making things more difficult for no added benefit. And fighting games are already pretty hard, so you don't need to make things harder.

You can play on whatever you want and I'm not gonna judge you for it. If it works for you, it works for you. But in my personal experience, octagonal gates just make life harder for no reason.

I find them useful for 3d fighters, but they're awful for 2d ones.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Brosnan posted:

People who are new to sticks don't like being bad at doing stuff, so they often convince themselves that they can buy or mod their way out of having to spend time playing to get better; octagates and new springs and hitboxes and all manner of other dumb things end up finding their way in when people get impatient.

Basically true for any other hobby, I guess. If I just had this one golf club, *then* I'd be able to drive it 250 yards! ... Okay maybe I just need to use different balls, then I'll *really* nail it.

I mean, if you're using a 9 iron when you're trying to do a drive then you probably do need that one golf club. My own experience is that I'm much better and more comfortable with my directional inputs as buttons than as stick directions because I learned Street Fighter playing Alpha 2 on a laptop. I /could/ learn to use a stick, but it wouldn't make me any better given my inputs aren't being limited by the fact that I'm using buttons instead of a joystick.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Agoat posted:

I played some random in Marvel a few years ago and they lost their mind.

I'm rear end at Marvel.

I once played Marvel with a few randoms at a geek night in London. I ran a team of Hulk/Morrigan/Phoenix and expected to get blown up. I held back and kept summoning my Morrigan assist to build meter. My opponents couldn't break me and kept losing to Dark Phoenix bullshit over and over. They goddamn lost their minds over the concept that I was using an assist as part of my actual strategy.

!Klams posted:

I recognize this much vitriol comes across as anger, but it's not at the people themselves even though it does sound like it. I love the football game loving kids. They're my best friends, who I would take a bullet for. It's just that 'no one actually really bothers with things they're into' here is a kind of persistent elephant in the corner that's sometimes a major bummer.

Yeah this sucks. I feel like I'm the only person that actually likes to compete among any of my friends.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so new jump is 4 frames right? So if I hit my LP elbow on Laura and end up on +2 and then go for a regular grab, which has a 5 frame startup, is it no longer possible to escape by jumping?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

NecroMonster posted:

super

alpha counter

parry

burst

no one cares exactly what they are called in any given game.

Mate if you're calling a combobreaker a burst I don't know what to tell you.

Oh that's it. Play some Killer Instinct.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Golem II posted:

Why this thread is trash

Because it has a nerd in it who thinks combobreakers are called bursts and didn't play KI in 1994.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dias posted:

Bursts and combobreakers are different anyway, you can't make a combobreaker whiff or use it offensively.

Bursts and combobreakers are different because one is a lame anime thing and the other yells C-c-c-c-ombobreaker when you use it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I actually like the Laura vs. Mika matchup.

If only because suddenly Mika has to play the guessing game and it's glorious to see Mika players implode when faced with this.

My favourite thing in ranked right now is to see the evident shock on players who have figured out to jump after Laura goes for Jab Elbow only to realise that if I go for a normal grab, I can react DP them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So if I have the parts for a stick, what should I do to keep the board in place on the case?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Laura question.

So I've learned to follow up my command throws with LP Elbow as a meaty and that screws up a lot of people. Once they learn and start block what are my options that let me still meaty the poo poo out of them? As far as I can tell, forward dash throw doesn't put me in range.

Also a similar question for my followup after Forward throw. Forward HP elbow is my usual meaty followup, but is there anything I can do when they start blocking it? My plan so far has been to hit the forward elbow and then followup with LP command throw.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Revelant posted:

Block elbow will put you at disadvantage. You now have to guess

Alternatively instead of lp elbow you can do s.HK , fish for a counter hit and go into mp elbow.

I think you're misunderstanding. On the assumption that I've trained them to block on wakeup always after a command throw, what should I be doing to take advantage of this?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Is there any way to know how much a meaty will save in terms of recovery frames? I'm trying to figure out what Laura can do off a Meaty Cr. MP because I've realised that I can do Backthrow, Dash forward, Cr. MP to create a 50:50 mixup with throw and potentially a 33% mixup with Command throw. If a meaty Cr. MP confirms into itself then I've got a knockdown on every version of that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ixiggle posted:

The extra advantage you get from a meaty is based on the number of active frames the move has and which active frame strikes the opponent.

cr.mp has 2 active frames and is normally +3 on hit. You would have a 1 frame window to get the second active frame to hit and it still wouldn't be enough to link another medium button.

st.mp, however, has 5 active frames and is normally +4, so any of them beyond the first gives you enough frames to link cr.mp after. You should basically always try to meaty with st.mp over cr.mp, not only does it give you better stuff but having 5 active frames is waaaaay easier to time meaty than 2.

The reason I'm talking about this is because Cr. MP in that particular scenario gets rid of timing issues. Since you're +19 after a backthrow and dash forward is 17 frames you're on +2 going in. Since Cr. MP has a 5 frame startup you'll stuff any 3f jabs that come out where St. MP is vulnerable to them since it has a 6f startup.

I'm just looking to figure out if there's anything significant I can combo to from there, but it just looks like Cr. MP -> LP elbow is the way to go.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 22, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So I'm playing with the new hitbox I built and it's frustrating but my fingers keep going to the wrong places for my buttons. I know the solution is just to play a shittonne until I'm used to it, but drat if it isn't frustrating when I go to where I used to for EX punch and get a throw instead.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

itskage posted:

Why aren't they the same? What were you doing before? Keyboard?

Yup

I used to have LP sat on my pinky finger and I moved it to my index finger instead. Also the layout is fairly different to what I'm used to anyway because the button spacings are different.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Oh Jesus is this why Laura's meaty command throw is so hard to time? People can just jab and unless I've timed the two active frames to hit on frame 3 I'll get stuffed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait so are we just not getting Balrog any more?

Welp, gently caress this game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Help Im Alive posted:

How did you reach that conclusion

Instead of getting Balrog this month we get nothing and Ibuki is next. Balrog's going to be out in like October of this year at this rate and the only reason I was holding out is in the hope he'd be released.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I am glad Balrog, Capcom's least cool and interesting Boxer character, is getting delayed. I hope he gets delayed long enough to sneak both Dudders AND C. Jack into the game.

They call him Dudley because he's a massive Dud.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

same

also if you want quick fight money on your pc sfv then this'll help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG9J8eIPyyY

Thanks to this I got Laura's black costume. I'll probably get banned but it's going to be a good year before Balrog comes out so i can save the money for a new copy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The moment when I waited months for Rog to come out so I could switch from Laura.

And then I saw PRRog get destroyed like five times in a row by Wolfkrone and I was sad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Trihugger posted:

Your only limiting options for a controller are a controller that doesn't have enough buttons like an NES one, the Dreamcast controller because it's a piece of poo poo, and a Gamecube controller because it's a really good controller for anything except fighting games.

I mean, in the EVO thread, there was a picture of someone using an electronic keyboard as a controller. Just use whatever you feel happy using and you'll get comfortable with it. But don't necessarily use what you're comfortable with if you're not happy with it. The exception being don't use a Dreamcast controller even if you're happy with it, because you'll never get comfortable with it.

EDIT: This post isn't very helpful at all, but I guess the point is that you can play fighting games on almost anything and despite the ingrained bias towards sticks because that's what most people enjoy playing on, there isn't necessarily a greater advantage to playing on one. So just pick whatever works for you.

I played for years on a keyboard. I've only just transitioned to hitbox. I don't think I'll ever be able to play with a D-pad or stick and having to do so for years is what stopped me from picking up fighting games until SFIV released on the PC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Goetta posted:

Balrog isn't hot garbage but is different for sure, mainly headbutt being different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Br5PAeHh30

He's bad and gets ruined by anyone with a command grab.

Spoilers, that's half the cast.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shiki Dan posted:

I don't think that's half the cast.

Even Birdie has throw invincibility on his EX command grab. Not even the Free Willy leap, the grounded one.

Balrog has by far the worst V-Reversal in the game, stubby normals, unsafe specials, a wide hurtbox, and no attacks that counter meaty throws except like Level 8+ TAP and Super.

Also if anyone isn't on that list they have fireballs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I get what I'm meant to do in fighting games and have a head for anticipating what other people will do, but my execution has always been dogshit and I have old man reactions now. The only game I've ever been good at is Melee (and maybe Soul Calibur 2) because I picked Peach and was able to bypass all the execution in that game and rely on knowing how my opponents would act.

The issue is that makes this a problem I'm a competitive person so I want to play to a standard that I feel is acceptable. So in Marvel an acceptable standard would be to master an OTG combo for all three of my characters. So I would spend months in the lab trying to get this down and just couldn't do it which made actually playing the game feel like a chore, even if I was improving.

This means I end up enjoying SF more than I do GG or Marvel because the execution floor is a lot lower and I can play to the standard I want to. (Perhaps unsurprisingly I play Laura in V)

Whilst I accept that SFV is a bad game, it is fundamentally always going to be more fun for me than better games because it's much more suited to my style of play. It's just sad that Capcom shat the bed so badly and there isn't something in SFV's style that I can play.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CaptCommy posted:

Bison had a pretty important one too

Balrog's best combos all needed them.

may contain peanuts posted:

What the gently caress...?

Imagine that I've spent years playing street fighter IV and can't consistently DPM. Imagine I was so bad at using stick that using a computer keyboard made me exponentially better at fighting games because I could finally QCF reliably.

Now imagine that despite all of this I am so vastly better than my friends that they refuse to play against me because I routinely destroy them, regardless of control input.

Sometimes what you assume is easy is just not for other people.

That and I wanted to play Zero and Sougenmu loops are loving impossible.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

A.o.D. posted:

What SFV has is frame perfect wakeup pressure. With invincible backdashes and focus attacks going away, very few moves having invulnerability, and only one move having armor on frame 1, wake up pressure and mixups are an essential part of this game's meta. So instead of training yourself to hit inputs I a 1/60th of a second, now you need to create mixups that can't be jabbed, jumped, or armored out of.

Of course, this was very much a thing in SF4, but it's a very huge component of mid and high level V play.

One of my big issues right now is the timing on wakeup command throw pressure. I think there's a 2 frame window where they're still in the wakeup animation but aren't throw immune and Laura has a 2 active frames on her command throw, so effectively I have to hit a 4 frame timing window in order to command throw someone on wakeup.

I'm really struggling with that timing and I know it's screwing me over. It's still not a 1f link though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

There are 2 frames on wakeup where you can't be thrown. Assuming the person has a 3f normal, you have to hit that 3rd frame exactly with your command grab to beat their normal. If your command grab has 2 active frames, that's a 2 frame window.

You're correct. So it's even worse than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jack Trades posted:

We were talking about music in fighting games though, not party games.

Then why are you in the SFV thread?