Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Sometimes I wish I was less competitive. I absolutely hate losing which makes me practice a lot and try to improve, but equally losing fights online often makes me spiral really badly to the point that I stop having fun. Eventually just getting back to the rank I originally started at becomes a relief and I don't want to play any more for a long while. If I could just make myself chill out and take each fight as it comes I'd be a lot better as a player and be able to practice and play a lot more consistently.

But if I were less competitive would I even be interested in playing this game to begin with?

Beyond meaningless thoughts, one of the things I've had trouble with consistently playing Laura is getting reads on the DP characters. Since I'm so heavily reliant on setups I'm just not sure what to do about people who just DP seemingly at random. When I try to anticipate I think it's obvious for my opponent because I block near them, but I'm not sure what else I can do to bait them out safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

bad metaphors posted:

Seems to me wakeup 3f jab is more dangerous anyways lol

If I get hit by a wakeup 3f it's because I haven't practiced my command throw timing enough.

How difficult can it be to reliably hit a 2f window anyway?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

man nurse posted:

I'm in that unfortunate sweet spot where I'm significantly better at the game than any of my friends so they lose interest quick, but I'm not good enough to chop it up online so I'm forever waffling between bronze and super bronze.

And yet I love this game.

I know this exact feeling and it continues up to Ultra Silver at least.

In other news, I randomly logged back on and noticed that my Laura was comboing Cr. LP into LP elbow. Then realised that there was a patch and it looks like she's a lot better, but all the stupid stuff I was using to win matches no longer works. (I'm looking at you backthrow loops)

Ideally I just need to sit down now and retrain all the followups I memorised over the past year.

I've also noticed people talking about a DP nerf but not playing a DP character I don't really understand what's changed about them and ideally would like to know before throwing myself back into competitive.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Normal DPs don't have invincible frames anymore so meaties beat them on wakeup. EX DPs still win. That's pretty much it.

This is the greatest change in the history of videogames. Holy poo poo I can beat DP characters now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Pomp posted:

you could have like baited the dp

or learned a safejump

Every safejump setup on Laura I found lost to 3f DPs or could only be done off a CC sweep.

And I mean, of course I tried to bait out DPs, but DP characters being able to negate all of my pressure whenever they wanted through either a random DP or me trying to bait one out caused a serious disadvantage for my character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zand posted:

lol its not a safejump if it gets beat by dps. what the hell

It's as if I was trying to illustrate the problem with Laura safejumps. (And referring to them as such because they would beat 4f DPs)

The problem being that they don't exist. I mean who even cares now that I can just LP bolt after cthrows like a motherfucker.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2017