Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
A week since release and I've basically only put in my 25 minutes of practice a day with only a few local matches to show for it. That said, I'm trying to make the most of what practice I get, so shoutouts to guys like jmcrofts and others for their little tutorials. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So Patrick Miller (who is a great follow on Twitter and wrote a free e-book on learning fighting games that you should check out) tweeted about a Necalli player who made a public spreadsheet of most-efficient punishes for every character in the game for those of you interested.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/702437363222454272?s=17

Heh. Apparently Wolfkrone is rage quitting all over the place in ranked. (http://youtu.be/AptIg6t9ecQ for those who don't get the reference)

Wolfkrone is a person I've heard some not-great things about (Something like giving SuperYan poo poo after her dog died for not being Christian and yelling at Yohosie for being a lesbian) so this isn't a good look for him.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AnonSpore posted:

You don't need to hear the not great things, you can just look at his twitter/facebook and see them for yourself

Dude is loving bonkers

I had him preemptively blocked on Twitter. \:shobon:/

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zodiac5000 posted:

I'm really enjoying Necali right now. I've done a few long sets against my roommate's Birdie and it feels moderately even, because if you can get inside even once you're going to do about half of birdie's health and 75% of his stun in just a few seconds. Plus he gets crazy annoyed at how activating Super Saiyan is instant for Necali, so I can just do it on reaction to anything he does and figure out the safest response. I need to practice actual max-damage punishes, but right now I seem to be working out well just doing his easy MK-HK-V-skill target combo. I still haven't figured out a good way to use his horizontal dash attack, though. It's just so unsafe and dangerous that every time I do it I eat a massive punish. Am I missing something on how to use it or is it sort of a 'avoid this move' thing?

If you check my post history, earlier today I linked to a really useful Necalli resource that lists the best punishes for every matchup in the game right now.

EDIT: Beaten, but his dash punch is basically best used in two ways that I've seen:

1) Finishing a combo, or

2) Anti-airing with jumping MP, then as they land fire off an EX dash move

The point is that you want to push them into the corner; if you're hitting with MK reliably enough, try practicing linking crouching MP into LP dash, and that's a solid bread-and-butter combo for Necalli you've got down.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 25, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'd be loving ecstatic to get my poo poo pushed in by Valle and Snake Eyez.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong Alex

bhsman fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So now that the game's been out for a week and a half (though this also applies to the betas), I have a question: how do people feel about (mostly) no chip deaths? I've loved the idea since it was announced, as it's allowed for some pretty good comebacks during my own games as well as amazing comebacks during streams, though some people here didn't like it. Has your opinion changed?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's mostly good, but goddamn is it frustrating when you've got a guy down to a pixel for 20 seconds and then lose from half health because he confirms a super off a counterpoke.

Yeah, it definitely puts some tension on you as a player in the game, but as the audience I think it allows for some really amazing gameplay. That said, with how easy it is to gain bar in this game, I imagine many will sit on their lead and hold their super just to ensure a chip-out death.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Correct language guide:

Japanese: Ryu, Ken, Karin, Chun, Dictator, Laura, Mika

English: Nash, Cammy, Birdie, Necalli, Claw, Rashid, Zangief, Dhalsim

Either/Or: Fang

Thank you for your time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: Floe, as part of his "Floecharts" series (which I would recommend watching if you're a newcomer), also went over Footsies recently.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think this is mostly correct, but I think Ken should speak English, and Bison could go either way. I generally would keep Mika Japanese but I like being able to understand her hype speech.

I don't mind Ken's VA (Reuben Langdon?) and even appreciate that he tried to make the "Hadouken!" clip sound similar to ST's Ken, but I just like the Japanese VA's voice better (not to mention in the SFxT trailers, Ken speaks Japanese, so meh :shrug:).

It feels weird to me that Bison is the only one in Shadaloo speaking Japanese, from my perspective, but I can't deny Norio. :v:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 27, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

darealkooky posted:

lay it on me yall

street fighter V: yes, or no?

Yes, though if you want to wait until March nobody would blame you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

:lol:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't know what I expected since FG threads here have turned into a huge scrub hugbox but people who play fighting games generally have opinions on them past "have fun is good." Almost every fighting game inherently has something I find fun about it, and I can enjoy myself momentarily playing the biggest piece of poo poo games if I'm learning something new and applying it against another person. I can enjoy a game overall and also poo poo on it for the things I don't like about it because those are the things that will eventually keep me from playing it long-term.

I think it's weirder to post a screenshot of my steam profile because I posted a joke vid in reply to a post designed to elicit such a response.

:glomp:

Mods change the thread to Street Fighter V: Huge Scrub Hugbox

There's nothing wrong with what you said, I guess we're still surprised to see you invest time if the game's direction bothers you so much. It's better than Necromonster making vaguely creepy posts every once in awhile, though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Beat Normal Survival w/Necalli; found that the AI doesn't block his Fierce dash attack all that well. That + some basic hit confirm combos got me most of the way through, and as for supplements I generally had a priority of: Attack Power x2/3 (if I had full/near-full EX bar and at least 70% health; Necalli's Supers do so much damage that cr.Mk xx Lk stomp xx Super could do upwards of 75% of a character's health and was easy to set up), followed by life, followed by defense boosts 2/3, followed by nothing. Necalli already does a good chunk of damage so defensive boosts go a long way for him in Survival.

Now to beat Hard for color 9. :gbsmith:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Juri's design is great, Viper's has a dumb boob window and they make her wear Combat High Heels(tm).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Can someone share that "Don't buy octagonal gates for fightsticks" picture? TIA

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
LI Joe is analyzing Winter Brawl Top 8 on his stream atm if anyone's interested; he's on his first match with Julio atm.

NecroMonster posted:

im not and i wont play it

just here to poo poo on it and laugh at the gifs of hot-ryu acting like a girl

:shrek:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If this game makes you so angry then perhaps it's Not For You.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

darealkooky posted:

btw when do we get to the point of this thread where people start making unfavorable comparisons with strekken 2013

Since the game was literally announced? And generally by the same people who fruitlessly shitpost today?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

"still" lol. 2i they have, i guess what you would call ironic tournies for. it took 3s years to gain popularity after its initial release. people still play and enjoy 3s somehow. these people are known as third strike mystics because they have unlocked the secret code to having fun in that lovely game.

Those animals!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

are people really doing this though? I don't know many people who would call 3s a good game. maybe they would call it a fun game to dick around in or a familiar game that they played with others, but even in Austin a lot of people that played it played it begrudgingly. and do people really look back fondly on SF4? its really awful.

There's nothing wrong with liking the zaniness of some of 3S's characters or the idea of parries (and how that compares to Just Defends in Garou), or the fact that someone likes SF4 because it was their major introduction to the series (which seemed to be a common sentiment when people were looking back on it, prior to SFV's release), just like there isn't anything inherently wrong with not liking SFV, etc.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

fadam posted:

Are jump-ins actually too weak or is this like when before release half this thread bitched about damage being too low and it actually turned out to be fine.

I feel like the damage could stand to be a bit higher, but OTOH it feels like you can get meter in this game fairly quickly, encouraging the use of Supers and EX, so meh? :shrug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

croutonZA posted:

Will Balrog say one, two, etc. when he punches in this game or not? This is an important question.

The number he says is based on how long you hold down the triple punches, actually. :eng101:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

it's too low and would be forgivable if the game didn't move at a glacial pace, but instead it contributes to the game being boring as gently caress. Oh no i got opened up, i've only got 4 more chances to not die to tiny 5 frame throws, limited rear end frame traps, mixups that lose to jab. Getting 50% off vtrigger+super combos isn't a replacement for good damage elsewhere.

sorry i couldn't predict standing jab being an extremely reliable antiair tho lol.

Maybe this game is Not For You?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

i'm hoping they add a zoner

Does LI Joe's way of playing Nash do enough for you? At least until a legitimate one gets added?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Booyah- posted:

that's not zoning dude....

That's sort of what I was implying.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

FAB makes potemkin work, I guess there's actually nothing wrong with him

If there was a Potemkin thread on SA, would you shitpost in it and antagonize people for playing a bad character as well?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

i like to complain on the internet

Complaints are fine, but it's often just regurgitating the same talking points that either a) nobody cares about, or b) hasn't really been everyone's take since the game was released. It's just more dumb posting that doesn't really help anything or is constructive in any way.

Booyah- posted:

no, all posts about everything should be unfunny and praising, even if there are obvious flaws

:jerkbag: Surely you can do better.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

General Morden posted:

by your definition what is a helpful or constructive post

Not presenting one's subjective opinions as fact, for starters? Pomp complains about the buttons being bad or the game moving at a glacial pace, but that doesn't seem to be the case for everyone? If you want to directly compare characters in this game to characters in a game with an entirely different system like Xrd or earlier iterations of SF, that is kind of missing the point of relative balance and - again - if that's a dealbreaker then maybe the game is Not For Them.

EDIT: And on top of everything else it's been the same 2-3 posters just parroting the same point or complaining how this isn't Guilty Gear. Nobody cares.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

signalnoise posted:

Could be that people are upset not only that this game Isn't For Them but also that it's the one that people are going to be playing, so if they want to play actual people they have to play games they don't like

:O

Definitely, but it's not like there isn't a community for other games with good netcode like Xrd (at least as of the PC release). Either way, griping doesn't really accomplish anything.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OxMan posted:

LMAO @ that one dude that hates all fighting games and has picked the sf v thread to air his grievances though.

I actually liked Zand's introspective post, but it bears pointing out that it was a post about liking games in spite of their flaws. :v: I like you, Zand, but c'mon.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fereydun posted:

they're identical twins how do you expect me to tell the difference

One of them has a dumb haircut in DMC3 and the other one is Vergil.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zand posted:

yes, and also it did in effect do this. every other scene for every other game had its energy and playerbase siphoned up by people moving to sf4 because they felt they had to play the new sf game (not because they liked it) and because everyone was playing it etc

It siphoned off players from other games, sure, but it's also credited with rejuvenating the FGC scene as a whole. Same with SFV; I can understand people not preferring it compared to other games, but if a ton of people find it fun and it expands the FGC even more, then good.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

why would you [read a thread] that you dont even like

We're trying to improve it by asking you to stop being a shitposter?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I enjoy the banter between the SF5 Defense Force and the Shitpost Brigade a lot more than I've liked watching the actual game being played, for what it's worth. It's ok for people to call the game bad both for the myriad justified reasons and just for subjective personal ones, and it's also okay to ignore them and like/enjoy the game regardless whether you think it's good/bad/ugly (trust me, I like and enjoy plenty of mediocre to awful games).

Capcom was probably rushed either by their own higher ups or by Sony to release this, but that's not a free pass to avoid criticism over the problems that have resulted from that.

I don't think anyone here who is defending the game is saying it's without fault, it's just the same 2-3 guys that just shuffle in here, repeat the same poo poo which either 1) may not even be applicable to the game post-release, 2) isn't really relevant to people here having fun, or 3) just antagonizes people for liking the game at all.

If people want to criticize and approach it from the direction of "They need to add a zoner" or "I wish damage was higher", sure, that's fine and I could agree with both of those examples. Instead, it's just shitposting.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Remember when you got a mod to lock the old thread and made a terrible OP with no input from anybody else.

Oh no how terrible. :qq:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It actually was pretty terrible given the effort put into the OPs of other fighting game threads, including multi-poster collab work on the MvC3/UMvC3 OPs, Brosnan's TTT2 thread, several iterations of SF4 threads (RIP The Icy Chill Zone), etc. It seems like it's improved now thanks to the efforts of other posters, though.

I think he admitted as much when it was made because the game had just been released; the point is, it seems like a pretty petty thing to bring up.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gunder posted:

My friend was making fun of me for picking Ryu today, claiming: "Ryu has never been worse, he's awful in V". I know he's not top tier, but he seems perfectly fine to me. Where do you guys think he lands in the hierarchy?

He got nerfed a lot in the beta so people had this perceptionhe'd be no good (and perhaps your friend still believes this, perhaps erroneously), but he actually has decent mobility and damage; add his tools and he's a pretty good character in SFV.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lothire posted:

To change things around, I could use some input. When is it a good time to change up your character?

I'm in a bit of the same area, which is that I'm enjoying Necalli but I recognize that he's limited in a lot of ways; while this doesn't make him a 'bad' character, per se, but it's teaching me to play the game in a bit of a scrubby way. The best I can tell you is to go ahead and learn Ryu/Chun; at best, they'll be a pocket character for bad matchups, and, at worst, they'll teach you about that character's limits for the next time you face them with Necalli.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arzachel posted:

Why would you swap to Ryu if stubby normals is your complaint

You get a much better ranged poke in fireballs compared to the seismo v-skill.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

It's because of the swaps.

Akuma/Gouki exempt for some reason.

I actually kind of like Akuma as the English name, though it gives the wrong impression about his motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Night Blade posted:

Oh boy, am I tired of getting knocked out of the air by Ryu's tiny elbow.

No idea how you'd punish it due to it being a light, but you could make them whiff with an empty jump setup?