Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ordered some parts.

Not sure whether I'll completely switch to stick as my main controller, but I definitely want to own a standard fightstick so I'm not completely worthless with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Real hurthling! posted:

is that a hitbox made from a portable drill case under there? that's pretty smart

It's actually a cheap pistol case. Basically the cheapest setup possible using the best arcade components.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Anybody know what circuitboard I need to buy to have a proper PS4 fightstick? I'm seeing conflicting information on some of them (PS4 listed on one page/missing on another page, something about 8 minute timeout, things about lag, etc).

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I'm now managing to consistently scrape by a decent number of ranked wins with Ryu's simplified gameplan (c.mk/c.hk/throw/hadoken/shoryuken), but am now having huge difficulties with anybody else I try. Necalli I really want to like, but it feels like I can't apply decent pressure without running in and then getting destroyed (or just losing a close range fight that he theoretically he should have the advantage in). Nash keeps on getting destroyed by jump ins (and slow reactions to them). With Ken, I don't have the proper feel for aggression in this game so he's like a worse Ryu.

I think I just don't have a proper feel for when to block, dash/jump, or attack (in addition to execution problems causing dropped combos here and there). What should I do to work on getting a better sense of those things?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ungh, I cannot even begin to do anything with Necalli. I just stand there and use pokes with zero range.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Colorspray posted:

jmcrofts, thank you for making those great tutorials.
Yeah, wanted to second that. The option select one actually instantly worked in real games!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finally found a way to consistently use my super meter instead of just spamming a few EXs or wakeup super.
Just super punish jumps!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got one of the biggest pieces of my new controller laser cut:

Obviously the layout and buttons are for playing some IIDX, but I'll be putting a joystick next to it and playing some street fighters.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Man I'm such poo poo. 4 people ranked up from rookie to bronze on me tonight.

But I'm winning like a third of the time, which is a lot better than my 1/33 record originally.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 26, 2016

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Man if there was a legit guide on how to make a hitbox from parts that I could find easily I might actually do it.
Things you need. 6-8 buttons for attacks (24mm or 30mm are fine), 4 for directions (probably want 30mm for thumb/jump, other directions can be either), 3 for start/select/PS (any random button is fine here). PCB (controller board, ideally with screwdown clamps if you don't know what you're doing). Thinnish Wire (so you don't end up dislodging even more things when you try to fix a button that broke). Box. Dremel (or drill, or even scissors if using a cardboard box, which isn't completely as bad as it sounds),
Make up a button layout and kinda draw outlines in sharpie. Drill/dremel holes till buttons fit. Put buttons in. Wire buttons to PCB. One of the button contacts for each button goes to the desired inut for that button on the PCB, the other wire you get to twist up with the other wires for all the other buttons, then attach those to the ground/GND slot. A button will not work if there isn't a direct metal line to the the destination, so if buttons stop working look at the connections. Connect USB cable in PCB.
Done!

(I could go into more detail if anybody is actually thinking about building one)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Super noob question, but what do I when knocked down against Laura who then does the slow fireball (Thunderclap I think), then either a low attack or overhead. It feels really awkward because it holding back locks me into a guard animation, giving the opponent plenty of time to get another knockdown.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

The problem with that is the low/overhead mixup. I guess I just need better reflexes then. (or maybe it's way less threatening than it seems and I've just been missing openings)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

NecroMonster posted:

crouch block should always be your default.

if you see the overhead start up (and you will, it has a long start up) you switch to standing block

I see. Maybe I was just reacting too slow because I'm not used to the windup.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Haven't played in around a month (dark souls 3), and it's certainly feeling like the competition is a bit tougher. Way fewer opponents hanging out in the <500; way more near 1000. Watching the road to Evo series, which got me using Ryu again (over Ken). Getting a fair number of wins just by winning the wakeup, (basic m.P->m.P->h.P->h.K combo or throw) and also just beginning to vaguely recognize times to use various normals. Still hanging around 500 (definitely having some losses from CA punishes turning into shoryukens or being late or whatever), but beginning to feel like I'm actually playing against the players rather than the characters, which is cool.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

This game has gotten really bad. I've been trying to get at least one ranked win in each time I sit down to play, and that hasn't been a problem in the past. But tonight, it will only match me (bronze) against a laggy super silver R. Mika. I cannot react to anything (not sure that a human could with the lag). After 5 times against this same player I just gave up. It's worse than when I went 1-30 or whatever on launch; at least then I knew here and there I'd run into somebody equally bad and have a close match with some shot at winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Is nobody playing this game anymore? I keep having rematches in ranked.
Also it sucks to not win ever because I'm that much worse than everybody else.