Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

should be "Free To Birdie" imo, i still get dunked by this move at least once per match vs. birdie

also does anyone have any advice for consistent instant-air lightning legs, i saw this video and decided i'm playing chun wrong (please forgive the lianghubbbbb video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgfxCwQd1Y

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dias posted:

I do 23692 (more like 2369 slide down to 2) + MK.
I'll give this a try. I was trying to do them like Marvel IAs and was getting it maybe 1 out of every 3 attempts

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It would be nice if they let you bind some of the Battle Lounge presets and fire them off during the 'YOU WIN *WUB WUB WUB WUB WUBWUBWUB*' screen because more than once I've wanted to say 'good game, good game' or 'It's snowing here!' after a tough fight

I really love that Nintendo have made preset online comms messages fashionable because they're always really fun and allow you to get across the pertinent emotions without giving people avenues to be pricks.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

What's your CFN, Howard? I wanna scope some of these replays.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Allowing people to search for ranked matches below 4 bars should be illegal imo, that's a really crummy thing to inflict on your opponent

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ag Bengip posted:

As much as I love Rashid's Twitter feed, that loving smartphone/PDA/whatever can go straight to hell. Street Fighter V is supposed to be set between IV and III, so around 1996
The modern internet existed in SF4 and Viper had a cellphone, explain THAT mate

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pomp posted:

air throw
guile back airthrow

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also am I the only one getting an Edward Snowden vibe from Charlie? Betrayed by the US (or at least corrupt soldiers working w/ Shadowloo), he's now a Frankenstein in Russia.

Although they don't say, it's probably the Illuminati that brought him back and not the Russians. I think further story stuff will be the Illuminati vs. Shadowloo which would be cool. Maybe Gill and\or Urien are using him as a guided rage-filled missile to kill Bison.
what the gently caress is this

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Goddamn it sucks going down a league because you're trying to practice reaction DPs to get better.
dont experiment in ranked then

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i had a really fun round 2 in this match, mindgames own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srf35ndAQ20&t=110s

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, I really hope Makoto is a season 2 character.
we definitely need more slow-walking characters with command grabs

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Hm... maybe for now I'll back-burner it until they add Arcade Mode in March, so I have something to fall back on.
they aren't adding arcade mode in march and i'm not really sure why anyone needs it while survival exists

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Who's the character with the most uhhh I wanna say the word is deliberate gameplay? Carefully timed, low-combo attacks that have decent damage without having to pressure the poo poo out of the opponent with mixups, just dealing with the attacks that come with a large toolkit where you just use the right one for the attack? I say this as someone who normally picks the guy who has command counters, but there aren't any in this game to my knowledge. High normal damage would also be a plus, and it's ok I guess if the answer is "no one is like this."
probably birdie..... and gief? zangief is bad in this game though

signalnoise posted:

Conversely, who's the char to pick when you want to take a simple jab and turn it into something ridiculous?
chun, although 'ridiculous' is subjective within the limits of this game's combo systems

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

i had a really fun round 2 in this match, mindgames own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srf35ndAQ20&t=110s
i did it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMjgFxS_S0

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I can't beat Karin :(
my biggest problem vs. karin is learning which of her moves are unsafe on block, a lot of them look unsafe but i have a hard time punishing

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/702651929743077377

Wonder if they're actually doing balance changes, I remember combofiend saying something like beta 4 and release would be pretty different.

I still think some characters might need a little extra atm.
wishlist:
- disconnects counted as losses
- play replays without having to add them to that loving list
- ranked matches FT2?? (in higher leagues at least)
- training mode saves your setup
- something to make survival more bearable (though i think it might be a scam to get people buying colours)
- character themes outside of ranked (but ban laura's theme)
- an option to allow non-blind picks in battle lounge (good for knowing when someone is trying out an alt)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Golem II posted:

I guess no help for fang
you asked less than an hour ago, how are you going to play a charge keepaway/trap character if you have no patience

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

the saturn was the best console for fighting games, good advice sanshiro

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Man, i can tell when I'm making incremental progress on combos but I feel like I'm going nowhere with the instant air legs. The motion feels so spastic and imprecise that I don't think I'm repeating any one motion yet. I'll try 30 times and get 2-3 in a row from the left, nothing from the right.

[Guy complaining about execution in the game for street babbies]
The method I use (which works 100% of the time if I don't gently caress it up) is 2369632. I really ride the edges of the gate to make sure every input is going in.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Golem II posted:

Do all fighting games go down to autistic people?
you seem salty about not being able to use google

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Many years ago (like, before SF4 was even out) a very autistic dude used to come to our meetups for 3S/CVS2/Jojos and his mother would phone the LAN cafe we were in every week and ask us to walk him a few doors up the street to the bus stop and make sure he got on the bus. I spent a lot of my late teens standing about in the rain with a bunch of those old heavy SF2 Anniversary sticks on my back listening to someone tell me about variants of chess moves and EV/IV values in Pokemon.

After SF4 came out he ended up getting bopped out of a tournament by a textbook online Blanka player and he was so distraught that he ran out of the venue and people had to walk around the city looking for him for a few hours. He was actually a cool guy despite all this but yeeeeeeah there are definitely some unusual fellas in every video game scene, the FGC is definitely no more or less 'normal'.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

croutonZA posted:

I don't think it's a good idea speculating about a possible round 2 of DLC characters until we find out how the game's selling imo.
there is absolutely no way this game is performing THAT poorly, plus the DLC characters are gonna be a good money-spinner for capcom especially given TOs will have to buy them for every station at every tournament and anyone who cares about the game beyond the first month or two is gonna have to either play a lot of matches or spend real money

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ktEFsq6sA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt439sMDm0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtG-hmpI55o

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

How about a "Please press D + HK to verify that you know how to beat Survival 1 - 25" prompt before each run to skip to the Real poo poo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yeah shimmy yay
Gimme the initiative so I can take it away
Off on a buffered charge bon-voyage
Yeah from the home of the microstep squad
some nice posting here

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

that http://sfv.fightinggame.community/ site owns for starkly exposing what your worst matchups are on a personal level, apparently i've only won 20% of my vs. necali matches

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The league system in SFV is actually pretty good, I think. It's never gonna be perfect (especially in its infancy when there are still killers who just haven't put in the ranked time yet) but I feel like 90% of my ranked opponents are within fair margins of more/same/less skilled.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The sfv.fightinggame.community/ matchup vs. 502 Gateway is brutal.
true to the street fighter v online experience

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there anything cheeky I can do after ending chun's bnb with legs? LK is +3 on hit, HK is +1, so I'd still have initiative but I think the pushback probably rules out a lot of stuff
If it's LK legs I usually end up at the right range to try for a cr.MK.The space between characters after a landed legs is usually wide enough that I can get it without contention from a light attack. Try following the legs with cr.MK -> HP kikoken, which is safe. You can then get pretty cheeky again after a point-blank blocked kikoken because of pushback.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

in the daigo manga there's a chapter about how good alpha 3 gief was before everyone used v-ism

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Where do I get this?
It's Umehara Fighting Gamers, a very good manga. You can find it on most scan sites and they sell the chapters pretty cheap (untranslated) on Amazon's Kindle Store if you wanna support the artist/writer

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is probably a really really silly thing to be asking, but this video basically shows the issue I'm having with normal attacks that combo off each other. Any advice from the thread would be great. (If the answer is just practice them a tonne then that's fair)
You say your timing is the same each time, but it clearly isn't as it isn't comboing every time. Look for visual/sound cues to help your timing and keep doing it over and over. From the video, it looks like you're pressing cr.MP too slowly most of the time. Don't mash the button - if the cr.MP doesn't come out you were too fast. If it comes out but doesn't combo you were too slow.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Renoistic posted:

My LP is unsynced. At the title screen the value never goes up, but when fighting ranked matches the LP-value updates properly. Even if I restart the game the value isn't updated at the main screen. Does anyone else have this issue?
Yes, mine has been this way since the Wednesday downtime. Still registers okay in-game so I think I'm safe.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Chun is a fun character to play as on top of being top tier plus Chun mirrors are total footsie battles so let's just make this game Third Strike 2.0 and be done with it

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

this is my definitive ruling

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Cafe Regular is the only good title in this game

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ideal ranked setup would be FT2 with the LP gain/loss being a mathematical function of the player skill gap and the set's final score. (i.e. you'd lose less points when going 1-2 than 0-2, and vice versa)

E: of course this is all predicated on ragequits actually having consequences because gently caress going to the ninth round and getting plug-pulled

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I was screwing around at work today and made a quiz that helps people pick a SFV main. It's by no means perfect logic-wise (mainly used my own understanding of the game + the prima guide + popular consensus) but hopefully it can serve as a starting guide for players who are like 'WHO DO I MAIN':

https://tinyurl.com/sfv-main

The logic is all dumped right there inside the page so feel free to tear it apart.

e: no jokes about it suggesting chun no matter the input

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Why is there no video I wanna hear Jazzy NYC 16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSzPbO9DFcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

2/3 ranked being opt-in doesn't make sense.... why would you run it back after winning game 1? No sense risking that sweet LP

also this update has pretty much everything that everyone was pining for, i thought it was gonna be trickled down across months, whyyyy wasn't this game just delayed a month

Help Im Alive posted:

The Third Strike Online remix was pretty bad, I hope they don't screw it up
everything 'remixed' about 3SOE was so offensive, i feel ill when i see those character renders