Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Just play Ryu.

What the hell is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Dias posted:

It reads like Mika is dead. Like, put her in a body bag dead. You will be missed, titty girl.

Chun lost air legs, but she's apparently getting piano legs? And it's +3 on hit because you can combo into cr.lk? Also now she combos from lows and gets to extend combos with V-Trigger? And grey life recovers more slowly and st.HP is even more annoying? So she's still stupid, she just lost a low crush because people gotta mash cr.lp tbf.

I'm kinda not seeing what's the general design philosophy on the rebalancing, even though it doesn't read that bad overall. No meterless DP so pressure is better, but you also gently caress with throw follow-ups so pressure is worse, and then grey life being more of a factor means you'd rather play safe anyway? Ryu seems relatively untouched, so are they aiming for the mythical ~~footsie-based gameplay~~ although you still deal no damage/get no advantage without resources or a jump-in?

Ryu's moves are slower overall, jumping lk nerfed, dp nerfed, but apparently he gets a bit faster in v-trigger? Also he got his damage overall nerfed (but maybe that's for everyone?). V-trigger doesn't last very long, so faster moves just means a new combo you can cancel into v-trigger from, no actually strategic point to being in v-trigger and playing neutral game or whatever.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
SF5 is too vanilla right now. That's my biggest complaint. Was honestly hoping for an additional super/additional v-trigger for the whole cast. Although I suppose that's a lot more work than farming out a new character to a random freelancer every couple of months. But that's what worries me about SF5: it's never going to have a "super" whatever, which means the developers will have less time to make big changes.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's a good way to deal with excessive walking backwards the entire loving match? Maybe it's my fault for playing casual in silver league, but nearly EVERYONE I play against spends the entire match walking backwards. I don't know how they so easily get away. I trap them in the corner sometimes which helps, but it's not fun chasing people all the time.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Jack Trades posted:

Walk them down to a corner and then force them to stay there or fish for an opening? People that walk backwards are literally giving away their positioning to you for no reason.
You'll just need to find an opening to get all the advantages of corner pressure given to you on a silver platter.

I mean, geez, at that level if they walk themselves into a corner you can just down-back just outside of their normals range and just watch out for dash forwards and jump-ins.

I generally try to do this. I guess I can just sit outside their buttons range and wait for the to try to jump out of the corner. It's just playing like that isn't fun. I swear the people on the other side have a gun up to their head so they do everything possible to not take any risk and actually play.

I never thought about them giving up position by walking backwards. I guess I tend to be susceptible to the "walk backwards, then use a fast forward moving special over and over" technique.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Hit them with a low into something to knock them down, then set up your meatiest meaty or take them to 50/50 town

I've been tagging people over and over with Kolin's crouching forward. I take away like 50% of their health from this one button because they will NOT stop walking forward.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

You don't beat < golds by carefully putting them in the corner and anti-airing, you beat them by jumping in on them non-stop and disrespecting everything they want to do.

It's the same kind of thing if I play a not-so-good player in Xrd when I'm I-no. I will literally just dash in on them with HS and go from there. I'm not going to think too hard about it because the most optimal way of beating a bad player is just going in from the air and doing the most basic thing over and over and over.

I'm running into a problem where I can win maybe one match, then they play ultra defensively. Every jump in gets stuffed because they always manage to be far away. Every approach on the ground gets met with some dash move that knocks me down. I've been playing a lot more patiently and letting themselves back in to the corner before engaging but it's still hard for me.

dhamster posted:

Sounds like you are winning neutral.. are you confirming your hits into stuff? If so, pushing the opponent into the corner and hitting them with a bread and butter combo every time they walk forward should be winning you a lot of games.

This is something I need to work on. I'm so used to having every jump in blocked, I virtually never land any "big" (damaging) combos in a match and tend to win almost entirely on pokes and throws.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Madcosby posted:

Im on PC

New patch downloaded, now my wired xbox controller isnt recognized. Works normally in other applications. Strangely recognizes my DS controller, but only 80% of the buttons. Using input mapper now gives me a delay on controller inputs.

Cant get my xbox controller to work again. Have to use keyboard inputs to exit the game. Who would have guessed B is mapped to the B key

To be fair, I shouldnt demand that a capcom fighting game can handle two different controllers on a PC, or one after a patch. That's just silly of me

My PS3 hitbox stopped working on SFV. I had no choice but to switch to my controller, then the right shoulder trigger broke. LOL. I got a port of Last Blade 2 that makes use of legacy support flawlessly.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
If the game that everyone plays sucks, just play a game that no one plays and also has terrible internet. Or play an old game on fightcade and spend months searching for the three people in the entire world who both want to play the same game and also have time to play when you have time to play.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Zand posted:

you sound like someone who never really actually tried to play fightcade, its not really like this on fightcade. its pretty easy to get matches in a variety of games, especially the SF/KoF games. even the smaller games I can get matches on easily on a daily basis

I've used it. I think it's good except I don't have time to wait 12 hours to play Breakers Revenge. I'm sure it's quite good for playing 3s if my PS3 isn't set up.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
If those are accurate, they are dumb and boring choices. Why does Capcom love the dolls so loving much, anyway? I suppose it just makes their jobs easier.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Jack Trades posted:

Do those come from the same place as the pre-release character list leaks?

According to that twitter thread, it was found on a Brazilian forum. I guess leaks from there have had some credibility in the past, but idk.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
They should just make everyone stronger instead of nerfing.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Whatever happened to the patch that was supposed to be coming in March? Did they decide not to do it?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

anime was right posted:

iirc it was just an announcement that theyd announce more details about the announcement for the next patch in march.

So they lied about a patch in "early" March? Can't they just put the job on Odesk or where ever they get the freelancers to make their DLC characters?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

pupuru posted:

well then you'd be playing ki

Does anyone remember when Japanese was synonymous with good in the gaming world?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
How do I keep people from escaping? I watch tons of matches where I see people dashing in over and over and it seems like their opponent can't escape. What's the secret?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
SF6 is gonna be one of those Naruto/DBZ games where all the moves are single button presses or button plus direction, LOL.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
How do I beat someone who blocks when I press buttons and presses buttons when I try to throw?

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I can never get close enough to actually shimmy. They seem to preternaturally guard that throw range perfectly. Jump in, throw, teched. Jump in, jab back up slightly and press a button to try to bait the throw, counter hit by frantic jabbing. Every time.