Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Street Fighter 5 broke everyones brains. It defies every sensibility and is truly avant garde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
No chip death makes things artificially tense and often annoying. That said I don't mind it cause when you kill with a stupid cinematic super on block it looks goofy and probably makes the other guy real mad.

I really wish this game had more normalized blockstun/hitstun/hitstop like Xrd. I know all this poo poo is punishable and gently caress up anyway because I'm supposed to press the button at whatever arbitrary timing a certain move requires, and the buffer helps me punish as often as it gives me raw special moves. I know practice and playing more will help but it still feels janky and on purpose in terrible ways.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

this is almost all of sf5

Even as someone who thinks this game is good its sadly true.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Some moves in this game can move your character realllly far forward during active frames, if you get whiff punished you'll end up much closer than where you attacked from. Can probably get much better punishes than it would seem at first on some moves, and makes every punish on some moves more consistent (cause your buttons have no fuckin range).

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, so thanks to whoever posted the Laura mixup video. That was really helpful.

I'm trying to master her LP xx LP Elbow, but the timing is /incredibly/ tight on it. Is there anything I can do short of constantly working on it in training to make it easier?

You might have luck with negative edging it. Press lp, do the motion, then release.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Madcosby posted:

Can you do Ryu's tech parry from the ground? I'm really hoping the answer is no because I cant do it

From the ground meaning as you stand up after a sweep or such, not sure how to explain it, like a wake-up parry

Yes, you can reversal parry on wakeup or any other time coming out of blockstun. However the parry still takes 3 frames to startup, so it can't beat a meaty attack and you'll get counterhit for attempting it.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Cant watch those vids but Necalli has great AA really. Stand jab will beat everything and resets them right next to you with advantage, cr.hp has a good hitbox but a little slow, hp dp is solid and very invincible. He cant deal as well with moves right above him but other chars have that issue too. Just be conscious with spacing if they end up crossing up a lot.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Who here is going to defend Necalli being able to just press st.LP and anti-air literally everything including crossups 100% of the time at any range.

Only the strongest of warriors can defeat necalli.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Baal posted:

How do you not have stomp for Alex? Or flash elbow? They're repurposing his 3S overhead into a special? Stungun is a base rear end bitch special? Is Heavy Flash chop going to be impossible to hit again too?

Who is this character for?

Someone who isnt a bitch, obv.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

I would be shocked if there are any actual infrastructure upgrades or engine updates to SFV to fix any of the glaring issues. capcom doesn't even acknowledge most of the problems with their game in the first place and there are a mountain of issues plaguing it: the poor handling of ragequits, the lack of directinput support which includes their official branded controller series, the alt-tab bug, the input delay, the constantly broken CFN servers, bad rollback implementation.... and the list could go on and on really. there's niggling problems like training mode settings not being saved, or story mode (some people actually care about this??), or even just lack of arcade mode, or even just bad gameplay like a survival mode that is a complete unfun chore for 49 battles in a row, oh and stage lag too. Maybe when they add alex into this mishmash of problems the game will be better
I wanted to make this post so i'll just quote and add that its maddening how capcom continues to disappoint and underperform. And knowing how the org functions and its history with its other fighters, its all but guaranteed it wont be fixed in the near future or possibly even ever. Story mode will come out in summer and capcom will be lauded for finally completing the game while its still a broken piece of poo poo that no one but fg nerds actually cares or notices how busted it is cause "it works fine for me!"

Around this time a year ago I was thinking how capcom could use the league model to make this game a huge success and what it would/could do for fgs. I'm still in awe how they managed to whiff it so badly.

I'll play a little alex but I've spent more time in jojos than sf5 these past weeks and don't feel like i'm missing out.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_1/ABD-8LK-3

Da gawd.......

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Goodpart posted:

I mean you've answered your own question. Never block what you can DP.

But let's say he does get in with an awkward crossup or whatever? Stomp is safe but the string you're talking about isn't a true blockstring. You can interrupt it.

Its not a true blockstring but pushing buttons will get you counterhit every time. st.mk cr.mp mk stomp cant be challenged with 3f jabs and he'll get a trade combo if you try to interrupt the stomp with it. The only ways ryu can challenge are with dp or parry, both very risky options.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I like Shimmy it reminds me how loving slow this game is. Maybe if they make Turbo mode we can upgrade to a shuffle, or even a mosey.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Lmao that they have to delay the cash shop. Things are even more hosed up than I thought. Its cool theres also no info about directinput, rollback, or input lag in that posting.

Edit the two day buffer between patch drop and alex launch seems laughably optimistic at this point.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
You forgot the broken netcode. Alex looks cool though.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Clotheslines don't hit in front of you, good job making realistic hitbox capcom.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Is there any way to know how much a meaty will save in terms of recovery frames? I'm trying to figure out what Laura can do off a Meaty Cr. MP because I've realised that I can do Backthrow, Dash forward, Cr. MP to create a 50:50 mixup with throw and potentially a 33% mixup with Command throw. If a meaty Cr. MP confirms into itself then I've got a knockdown on every version of that.

The extra advantage you get from a meaty is based on the number of active frames the move has and which active frame strikes the opponent.

cr.mp has 2 active frames and is normally +3 on hit. You would have a 1 frame window to get the second active frame to hit and it still wouldn't be enough to link another medium button.

st.mp, however, has 5 active frames and is normally +4, so any of them beyond the first gives you enough frames to link cr.mp after. You should basically always try to meaty with st.mp over cr.mp, not only does it give you better stuff but having 5 active frames is waaaaay easier to time meaty than 2.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The reason I'm talking about this is because Cr. MP in that particular scenario gets rid of timing issues. Since you're +19 after a backthrow and dash forward is 17 frames you're on +2 going in. Since Cr. MP has a 5 frame startup you'll stuff any 3f jabs that come out where St. MP is vulnerable to them since it has a 6f startup.

I'm just looking to figure out if there's anything significant I can combo to from there, but it just looks like going for the target combo or Cr. MP -> LP elbow is the way to go.

That's not a true meaty situation then, there's no way to get extra advantage unless you time the active frames to hit as they wake up. cr.mp will still give a counterhit if they press a button and can link into itself then, but if they just block or take the normal hit yeah I don't think there's anything special you can do. That's honestly good enough if you've got jab happy dudes, and you can always go back to st.mp for better block advantage if you know they have a 4f jab.

edit you've probably seen this but dandyj made a vid a while back about that exact backthrow situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPs7pLn6fc&t=160s

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 22, 2016

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The input display is the same for success or fail (and looks like the video), yet... it doesn't work most of the time. Even though it looks identical and I can't even *feel* any difference. :(

Can you explain whats happening when it doesn't come out? I'd guess its just not getting the minimum height restriction and you're pressing the kick button too early. Because the way jumps work you cant really buffer the kick input before you hit that height, or else you'll get the jumping kick instead since they don't have a similar restriction.

Slow down your motions and try putting a beat between 9 and 214, see how long you have to wait for the divekick to come out every time and then try doing it lower and lower until it stops working again, should give you a better reference for the proper timing needed. Caveat I dont play cammy so I may be totally off but hopefully it helps.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Played some ranked for the first time in almost a month because of a move. Alex is still really fun, I haven't been keeping up on what people are learning with him but I press hella f.hp and never feel bad about it. That button does everything, its so dope. Really liking the ranked rematch option and people are usually good with it. There was a Rashid who beat me 2-0 before, later that night I was warmed up and he ran off after I dominated him for two rounds :smug:

Game still has too much lag. I think having to play it in a window this time added just enough extra lag to make it way more noticeable. Its such a huge bummer knowing I've reacted correctly and in time but get hit anyway, and it makes stuff like rashid ex spike near unblockable. I really wish this and the other technical issues got addressed, no amount of DLC is gonna make the game feel complete without that extra step.

Also there's like a billion stat things that don't do anything still, silly data numbers are fun and cool and I wanna see em just for curiosity's sake.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Its gonna own a lot when Guile has the exact same problem.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Dias posted:

Well, I mean, it's been two months. At least say why the hell these issues haven't been addressed, because I can't imagine they're THAT complex to implement. Then again, I Am Not A Programmer, so...

I'm guessing that a lot of the bugs that have been discovered and the missing/broken features will require some total recompile and making everyone download the whole game again (I remember hearing this was an engine limitation too). They spent time on their streaming updates but afaik there's limits to things they can update via that method. Especially considering the breadth of things that need to be fixed, it can make some sense to pile it into a more complete package and have your playerbase download it once at a later date, rather than hammering bugs out every month like whack a mole. There's also likely a bunch of issues they don't have answers for yet.

Thinking about it this way now I wouldn't expect any fixes to be coming until the Story update. and if that passes, maybe when all the dlc is out and they can sell the GOTY (lol) package with the season 1 chars.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

giogadi posted:

Is this true about SFV? In my experience most jump ins get stuffed by standing jabs, making them less useful

darealkooky posted:

I'm going to answer your question with another question by saying don't standing jab anti airs in turn lose to stuff like ryu players using light normals to jump in instead of heavy/medium ones?

Jumping is bad. Jump in normals have massive hurtboxes (barring a handful like ryu j.lk) and most chars have a decent AA, if not a crazy show stopping jab. Alex and Sim even have special AA frames on their jab that go waaay over their head, halting even most crossups. Stopping a jump is not all that difficult, making it hurt when you stop it is another matter, since jab aa still needs an effective mixup after to really punish the opponent.

The risk/reward difference for landing a jumpin versus an AA jab is enormous though, and even with some of the other aa options like dragon punches you're talking a difference of 200 damage or more in favor of the jumper, without considering meter. And if it was say, ken or mika jumping at you, you've taken 35% and are now cornered. So when you miss that one aa because of 8 frames of input lag, it hurts way more than all your hard work of AAing did. This is especially true at lower levels of play where jumpins are some of the only ways players can deal real damage, so I can see where people would end up with that idea.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Yeah I agree, I just got a little rambly. I think its balanced out well in this game, lag aside. Alex don't even need his vskill to get the crush counter, I nail em all the time (and never get the juggle after :( )

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE7lhEpqzrA

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

I'm bad at this game and it is frustrating that I can't just play against the computer and am forced to fight online spergs who destroy me even at bronze rank. Getting pummelled to death in every match doesn't particularly teach me anything

Playing against the computer doesn't help you get better, unfortunately. Getting beat up sucks but fighting games are inherently 1v1 contests of skill and computers don't think. Theres lots of bad goons and those who are okay/good and willing to teach, ask in here or in the discord and you should find some more appropriate opponents. Good luck out there~!

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know off the top of my head, but if it's not at least close, I can't see a reason for it to exist. Not that that's ever stopped capcom.

lp elbow is -2 on block, you just lose momentum if it doesn't land. You still have some options if its blocked, jab will win more than it should and ex elbow can armor through a lot. For the other questions, cr.mp, cr.hp, st.lp/lk and cr.mk are all fine for cancelling into elbow, cr.hp does the most dmg/best range but is slower so riskier. I don't know her jump normals well but j.hk probably hits farther forward than j.hp, so it has some use for tagging people with max range jumps that are hard to AA. if you still wanna use f.hp there are ways to make it safe but I don't know em.

If you're not already, start replacing command grabs with backthrows. Her backthrow easily allows for another mixup, can loop into itself and can be done right after lp elbow. If someone jumps you can react punish them with hp elbow. You don't even lose that much damage doing it over the command throw, and its faster!

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
It certainly doesn't help anything.

The only hope for it being fixed is that Ultra SF4 on the PS4 ALSO had fuckin 8f lag and was patched to be ~4. That one generated more outrage because capcom was pushing it as definitive and you could play it side by side with existing versions, rather than being a new game with that much latency.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Lothire posted:

Let's say they do address the input lag and bring it down to something more reasonable. In the case of dashes, will this hurt the roster equally or will slower dashing characters be effected harder by the change? It's my understanding that slower dashers struggle more as it is (for reasons other than dashing I believe), but I'm not sure if making dashes easier to react to will improve or diminish the over-all game plan for them without adjusting their individual dashes.

A lot of little things would change but I don't think the game would be shaken up all that much. Nash and Ken get a little worse and defensive play gets a little better. The slowest dashing characters include Fang, Dictator, Birdie and Gief, who I don't think are really hampered by their dashes being a little slower. Gief is already a struggle to approach people with and his dash is reactable(25f!!). Fang's dash is nothing special and can use his command roll to approach and mixup, Dictator turns invincible and invisible during his, Birdie maybe wins out overall in a more defensive environment even if he can't do EX dive for free anymore.

Its worth pointing out that even if the lag is significant, doing dash up grab with Nash will still be effective because of his deceptive animation. Gameplans won't really change, just the bad poo poo everyone knows shouldn't work will stop working as much if people can now react.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
People are way into her feet so as long as those are bare the fans will be fine

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Will guilty gear be on espn or just bad games

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

The Gorp posted:

I've always wanted to play a character with a reload mechanic and resource management that you sacrifice Oki for. Sin from Xrd comes close but doesn't feel right.
Hakan Oil was the closest thing that SF has really had in my opinion, Ibuki kunai don't do enough damage for me to care.

idk if they give up oki for it but you should try Petra in Arcana Heart 3 and Luna in Vanguard Princess if you want cool reloading chars.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fellblade posted:

A lot of the changes in SFV are clearly aimed at people like me who want to play but find most fighting games too obtuse. So if you are actually wanting to criticise the game for the choices, it probably should take into account what they were trying to do and not what you want them to do.

Can you cite some of these changes and how they made the game easier for you to understand?

I will grant that control has been made easier (at least combos and stuff like vskill/vtrigger being designed for casuals and pad players) but I don't think SF5 actually made the genre easier to understand or get into. There's a lot of dressing and balance changes to make new players perceive the game better but I don't think it actually serves the end goal.

I'd also take issue with defending SFV as a product for a casual and beginner audience, when the Capcom Pro Tour is a thing and keeping its schedule was more important than releasing a finished game.

Edit: SFV was definitely made for a casual audience, I just don't think it actually teaches them about fighting games better than any other game, esp with such poo poo tutorials.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 22, 2016

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Most sf4 characters needed 1f links beyond the most basic rear end combos. A lot of characters could be played without them but then others like Abel and Sakura are near useless if you can't do it. Hell you needed a 1f link to do Guile's bnb until Ultra. I think the ubiquity of plinking made people forget how frequently you really used a 1f link in sf4.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
SfxT is more fun in training mode and has way way more content than sfv. The only place sfv supposedly improves on is netcode (a lie, given the lag and horrible implementation) and how tolerable competitive play is, and im starting to think v2013 has more legs than current sfv.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Electric wind god fist was the best thing to happen to street fighter since a2

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
There's a universal reversal mechanic in the game but its so bad they had to get rid of DPs because they were too game defining lmao

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Im curious about it because Id like SFV to be cool but it probably wont do enough to pull me away from Nitroplus.

I thought about reinstalling and remembered they want another $40 for me to play all the chars.

have capcom or the patch notes acknowledged the rollback desync issues yet??

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Theoretically crush counters should have worked the risk/reward away from dps but real pressure situations are hard to get and CCs dont do enough damage so now dps are worse than theyve ever been in street fighter (fighting game??) history. Good job team

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Pomp posted:

are there still CCs that are lower reward than a normal loving hit would be?

Necalli still i think, st/cr.hp cc is so much worse than normal hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
more like Jack Offs!!!! LOL