Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Okay, really stupid question, but I'm having some trouble with training mode. I know you can set your dummy to perform certain actions when they guard or wake up. I was hoping to instead set some general actions that they would preform automatically without me attacking first. Specifically, I want Ryu to pump out fireballs so that I can practice countering them. How do I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

man nurse posted:

i can't beat survival mode on normal

I've tried several times and it's made me so furious. Even when I got good luck with health recoveries and made it all the way to Bison, he just rushed me down and obliterated me before I could get anything going.

I just wish that they made a normal arcade mode with difficulty select and tied colors/titles to that, and then did a separate survival mode with infinite enemies and let you get BP from that. Right now it just seems like the worst of both worlds. It's like playing in the arcade but you're not allowed to put another credit in.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does anyone have any theories on the next wave of characters? I would assume that they would bring back Viper after getting her for story mode but who knows.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think a good new stick like the one you're looking at should last a while. It's when you try to get the budget sticks that you get into risky territory.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I got really drunk and decided to play this game.

Pros: finally, finally beat survival on normal and got Chun Li's sweet red color.

Cons: somehow lost the ability to do lightning legs, even in training mode.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

bhsman posted:

Correct language guide:

Japanese: Ryu, Ken, Karin, Chun, Dictator, Laura, Mika

English: Nash, Cammy, Birdie, Necalli, Claw, Rashid, Zangief, Dhalsim

Either/Or: Fang

Thank you for your time.

I think this is mostly correct, but I think Ken should speak English, and Bison could go either way. I generally would keep Mika Japanese but I like being able to understand her hype speech.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

On tips for cheesing through Normal Survival, anything for Chun-Li? I've lost on fight 29 or 30 numerous times (Necalli and Bison).

I had a lot of trouble with it. I finally beat it last night, probably due to luck. Definitely turn on fight request if you haven't. I don't remember what I did for Necali, but for Bison I immediately rushed him down and didn't let loose the pressure. He has some nasty combos so you want to keep him pinned down. I did a lot of sweeps and the down-right heavy kick move (where she jumps over him and kicks him in the back).

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I know about that. That's like... not fun, though? If I turn up the AI difficulty on the training dummy, it's a decent warm-up, but I'd rather be doing actual discrete fights than like infinite combo practice. I don't really want the matchmaking service to just be rescuing me from a Sisyphean Chun-Li who never dies :v:

You can set health to normal for you and the dummy, and then it'll play out like an actual round until one of you dies.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Reznor posted:

the real cost of survival is sanity. I just ran up to 30 on normal. just spamming medium kick and getting perfects. Then the AI was turned on for the last round. I don't think I have ever been so salty.

I'm one of the biggest Capcom apologists out there, but I really, really don't get how they designed survival. Why give you 25 brain-dead enemies and 5 real fights? Does Ono really think anyone is getting anything out of spamming HK for twenty minutes?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Pomp posted:

I think FG dev cycle should look like this from now on..

design basic fighting engine
design pseudo open world rpg (5-6 hours long)(story, settings)
design characters(proper textures and finish graphics design)
design AI/Arcade
design trials
design more SP content

release

patch in online 6 months later
patch in proper engine 1 year later after full development
patch in proper netcode 1.5 years later after engine is done.

This way you sell lot of copies. Casual/RPG fans are happy. Hardcore will buy anyway. You got your money already who cares if people are still playing 6 months later when online is released. IMO all FGs should follow this rule for financial success. Most FG buyers are not interested in learning FG or feels too intimidated to go online and lose imo.

People have been justifiably angry about the lack of single player, but if you think they'd be content to wait for 6 months to play online and over a year for good netcode, you'd be crazy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

This is really stupid, but bear with me. There's a weird small piece of tape on my MadCatz TES+, right on the "seam" of the shell, underneath where my wrist would go. Despite my attempts, I can't scrape it off. Is it like connected to something inside? I feel like a huge idiot.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So, I lost 10 or so matches and depleted all my LP before I finally got a ranked win with Laura. Glad I got the title but I don't think I'm going to use her much again. It's not that I'm good exactly with Chun, but I'd like to think I'm a little less embarrassing.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm really new to SFV/fighting games and I'm curious, what game is it most like in the series? I don't really have any experience with the others but I remember people saying it was a big change from 4?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I thought it was good, first time I got Chun who I'm playing already.

Is there anywhere you can post all the results? I liked your description of the characters.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

What do you guys think the player base is going to be like? I know that sales weren't outstanding but do you think the different additions will pick things back up? Do we know how the active population compares to its competitors? I've still got so much to learn and I don't want all the other casuals to abandon the game too early.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zand posted:

this is the most popular current fg by a mile and its going to be the standard for fgs for a long time. the only other fg that will be this popular online is tekken and even then its not going to be as strong number-wise as sfv.

That's good to hear. Is there much crossover between SF and Tekken players?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I would imagine Sony working with them to develop it should make it a little less painful, costwise, so it could be worse. I'm assuming they'll go into overdrive trying to win people back. For better or for worse they really put all their eggs in one basket – it's not like they can make money back with Rival Schools 3 or Darkstalkers 4, and they said that they weren't gonna do Super Street Fighter V. So this is all they've got, and they'll do what they can to try to keep it running.

Edit: Also, Resident Evil still makes a lot of money, even RE6 sold a lot (but below expectations, obviously). The RE1Remake did phenomenal. So they've got that and MH at least.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I know it's a pipe dream, but I feel like a new Darkstalkers could work if they made it a download only, $20 title and got Iron Galaxy or whoever to work on it. Like it's never gonna beat SF or Mortal Kombat, but I think it could do okay in the budget digital realm. Resurrection certainly didn't light the charts on fire, but it's actually impressive that it sold as much as it did given that it was an obscure rerelease of some Playstation-era games with no promotion. Modern 2D graphics and a spot on the undercard at Capcom events could give it a big boost. It seems weird to me that they have the whole Capcom Pro Tour for one game anyway.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm playing Chun, what should I use to attack people waking up?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I've been using a MadCatz TES+ on my PS4 since SFV launched. Tonight I started using it and everything worked fine except the R1 button. Now it's having problems recognizing any of the buttons or the stick when I'm in SFV, although the buttons work okay in the PS4 menu. The stick doesn't seem to be recognized at all in any other game. Is there anything I can do before sending it back?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

enojy posted:

Non-specific poo poo: remove it from your devices list, unplug and plug in again. Restore default controller settings in-game. If R1 works fine outside of SFV, then you can probably rule out wiring and switch failure (to R1 anyway.) I feel like the stick should be recognized as a controller in other games, though, so maybe you've got something duddy on your hands. I couldn't say one way or the other since I don't have a Madcatz stick and can't try it myself.

Also, I dunno if this is at all common, but my first USB port is way loose, so I just use the second one. Maybe double check the connection while unplugging and reconnecting.

I tried some of this stuff and it worked fine for twenty minutes and then the exact same poo poo happened. It's still tied to R1 so I think that's where the problems started.

I know you don't have a Madcatz stick, but what's it like replacing buttons? I'm hesitant to get started and I know it would void the warranty.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It looks like I might have to return my TES+. I was thinking about getting a Hori RAP4, do you guys think that's a good choice?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, why are you returning the TES+?

Nothing to do with how it feels, it's just stopped working – functions in the menu but doesn't work with any games. I'm calling MadCatz tomorrow, but if I send it back there I'm assuming I'd have to wait a month before playing SFV again and that kinda sucks. On the other hand, I could potentially return it to Amazon and use the money on a Hori, so I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Weird question, but has anyone ever transferred their save to a new PS4? I read everything was tied to the fighter ID/PSN but I wanted to be sure. If I do that plus download my save file I should be good, right?