Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So i started playing this game as my first Street Fighter yesterday, since it seemed much more my pace than DBFZ which at least taught me I could enjoy fighters (so far I'm enjoying Ken, which somehow feels worse than playing Mario in Mariokart, like you know you're basic but aren't doing anything about it).

I just had a quick question on alternate costumes: are there ones you can get through unlocks or the gacha, or is it all that you specifically need to buy them with real money? I feel like having costume unlocks as incentive to pay attention to certain characters will let me digest it all better, instead of the 'here's a whole roster, you figure it out' approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It is sort of a shame that they fumbled the costumes and some of the extra gameplay modes, because the base game feels really solid (granted I don't know fighters well enough to say that for sure), and they have some decent ideas with the store and FP stuff. A gacha for stuff like cosmetics feels like it should work great, and I really like that you theoretically can buy DLC characters without actually spending money. Everything outside the core gameplay kinda just isn't living up to what that gameplay can be.

Gameplay-wise, all I could possibly complain about at this stage is down to opinion; I don't like weird inputs like that Z-shape or the double quarter-circles, but that's probably because I don't have a lot of muscle memory built up for them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So I'm pretty sure he's not, but I have to ask the question given how I just performed: Is M. Bison considered a boss character in this game? I know he flip-flops on if he's a boss character or just a regular one, and running through arcade mode with him I had one of those 'I feel like I'm garbage at this guy but I'm doing way better than with anyone else' moments so I want to know if I'm legitimately maybe good at him or if he's just overpowered.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sade posted:

PS, you're not good at a character you just picked up, and arcade mode means nothing for how good you are.

Yeah, I know, it's just noticing something clicking. Like my natural way of playing the game seems to mesh well with this character, and I do better than usual. So it's not that I'm 'good' at him, and more that maybe I just sync up with how that character works.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm a very casual fighting game player, but something important and pretty basic to fighting games, that I still don't always get from them, is that I can almost always learn from a failure; I know enough about what was happening to know what went wrong and pinpoint the exact move that I need to learn to anticipate. Fixing it might be a little hard sometimes, but I can learn from it and improve without further education about what happened.

I do say that in part because I played it shortly after playing Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is basically on the whole other end of the scale in 'understanding what's going on' because the fights are super fast and every combo is like 50 hits. Between those two, I prefer SFV's pacing and ease of read a lot more.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you played Tekken 7/SCVI? They’re opposite ends on the complexity spectrum but as someone who seems to play at the pace you mentioned I’ve found them both very nice to learn from. Their buttons are very clear visually too. In Tekken you can say “oh that was a left hand punch move” and go from there. SC is just as easy “dude keeps hitting with that vertical so I need to side step more” etc. they’re slower paced in a way that gives me just enough breathing room to stay mindful of what’s happening.

I haven't played those two specifically, but I did play Soul Caliburs 2 and 3 when I was younger. I probably wasn't great, but I was 'win against the famously bullshit harder SC3 AIs' good, which counts for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

And they just announced the final character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7wcIGqnwgk

No other game in the world gives me such a feeling of 'I don't understand, but I want to' as Street Fighter.