Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone happen to know frame advantage on blocked st.hk - VT with Necali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know how to deal with Chun's dumb air legs as Vega?
Also does anyone know the frames on Vega's blocked st.hp - Stance Switch?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp posted:

crouch jab ex legs

I've heard that but are you sure it works with Vega because the hitbox on his cr.lp is quite low?
It might also be that I've got the timing wrong or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

cr.mp and cr.hp both work fine in stuffing it as long as you are on the ball. Vega actually has it a bit easier than most with it.
Gotcha. I'll practice that.

Evil Canadian posted:

claw st.hp into stance switch is minus 2. There is basically no reason for someone not to hit buttons after they see st.hp since st.hp->back claw special is a true blockstring so nothing would come out anyway.
That's a shame, I was hoping that it would be a proper mix-up for Vega.
I guess there's no reason to do stance switch instead of Aurora as long as I've got my claw.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Playing against Mika is so frustrating. I could be holding her out with my buttons for almost the whole round but then I end up missing one jump-in, or getting hit by the irish whip or just a random EX.rear end and now I'm in the corner, completely hosed bar a miracle read.

EDIT: I suppose the game would be too dissimilar to SF4 if it had no characters that don't play street fighter. *grumble grumble*

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 15, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I think Nash and Bison are way more annoying than Mika. The former, you're going to get dash-grabbed. I'm not sure if it's possible to react to the Nash dash. The latter because you're blocking for 5-10 seconds when they get in.

Nash's forward dash is totally average. It's even 1 frame slower than Ryu's.

Evil Canadian posted:

If you are still on vega, v-skill attack completely blows through dropkick on reaction so that is something to have at least.

I didn't even think about that. Gotta give that a shot.

Colorspray posted:

It is - I played some locals last night and my bff was getting so pissed at the matchup, we started looking at the options Mika has and she's not so great outside of her pressure.

If its not a light normal, everything but a charged HK/jumpin is negative on block

Charge HK gets blown up by neutral jumps. It also has only 1 active frame - stick something out with a lot of active frames to stuff it on reaction to the startup

Use your V-Reversals. If you die with full V-trigger gauge you need to learn to V-reversal more. V-reversal is a good option if you end up blocking a charged HK

Do reversals* off her lp and lk blockstun - if you don't mika will just go braindead and always throw poo poo out - at least teach your opponent you have those options so they hesitate and your odds of escaping get higher

*don't overdo it, it depends on how smart your opponent is. Try to stay calm and watch how your opponent adapts when you're being pressured

I'm in a lovely position of not being able to break from my character loyalty and it so happen that Vega doesn't have any reversals and his VR is poo poo against Mika.

Gotta explore other options though.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 16, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Things Vega's V-Skill works against on reaction: Mika's drop kick, Zangief's armored punch, Alex's flash chop.

Gief's st.hp? Neat. Though I usually just slide into it on reaction.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

God help me I've never played a fighting game and I can't play this one at all :smith:

Don't sweat it. Learning to play fighting games (in general) takes months if not years.
Just find someone who's either just as new as you or someone who's willing to teach you and you'll do alright eventually.

Learning how fighting games work was the most fun I've had with video games, ever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

?

I've used my FC4 with SF5 just fine, it's just DirectInput so you need to use Joy2Key.

Same, except I use x360ce.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope that people will continue not punishing Nash's f.lk so that Nash players will keep using it all the time and eat my punishes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I really need to use vega's st. lk more in the nash matchup.

Man, Vega's st.lk is major boon for him. There are SO MANY blockstrings that you can break with it and so many moves that you can punish.

Ryu or Nash pressure with mp - mp? Stick a st.lk in between and hit-confirm into cr.lp - lk.roll.
Rashid does the lp - lp.mixer bullshit? St.lk after the spinning mixer and you'll get him off.
R. Mika does st.hk all the time? Hit her out of the air with st.lk (VS is much better but st.lk comes out faster, if you didn't react fast enough for VS).

ZenVulgarity posted:

That doesn't seem to work for me

Here's a piece of advice. Never take advice from Goons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

The goon discord

My bad.
The advice still stands though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of paying for stages. How much do I need to pay to remove the Training stage from the game?

Booyah- posted:

The airforce stage looks real good

No Balrog or Balrog or Vega or Vega or M.Bison or M.Bison in the jet.
0/10

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

why would you want to remove one of the stages that doesn't have framedrops and can actually maintain 60fps

On a proper PC there are no framedrops. :smug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm playing exclusively Casual just because I don't want people ragequitting on me...WHY ARE THERE STILL A WHOLE BUNCH OF MOTHERFUCKERS THAT RAGEQUIT IN CASUAL OF ALL PLACES?!
It pisses me off so much. Come the gently caress on Capcom, do something about it.

RanKizama posted:

Logged on, bought some costumes with my fight money, logged off. Nothing else to do. Game is still incomplete and bad.

The game itself is great. It's just that everything surrounding it, the netcode, servers, matchmaking, ragequitting, etc. is total garbage.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 19, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Why do you let it get to you? If people rage quit you won, not only have you won but won in such a way you have made your opponent angry enough to rage quit. Revel in it.

I guess it's because I don't get the victroly screen and my autism makes me feel like I didn't get the actual win cause the numbers don't go up. You're totally correct though.
I guess I need a street fighter therapist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guile has Ky's Dust from XRd? Can walk while charging? Can throw a million booms at once?
What this? Rainbow Edition?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of meaties - what are some actual good options to catch an opponent with on wakeup when I'm playing as Vega? Right now I really don't have a ton other than his overhead medium kick or his spinning blade from deceptively far away.

cr.mk or st.mk is pretty good, you can also combo from those. Also there are a ton of meaty setups you can do after a knockdown.
Like, the two I found earlier today are after an EX.Roll you can either dash forward - whiff st.lk - st.hp or dash forward x2 - cr.mk (I hope I remembered those right). Setups like that are great for when your opponent loves to mash jabs on wakeup.

EDIT: Speaking of st.hp. If you can catch them pressing a button with a clawless st.hp you can do the coolest Vega combo.
CH (clawless) st.hp - stance switch - (claw) st.hp - stance switch - cr.mp - EX.Roll or EX.FBA or CA.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 23, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

how are you getting that to work?

I'm not. I think I mixed that up with something else when I wrote that.
The real combo is: CH (clawless) st.hp - stance switch - (claw) st.hp - stance switch - cr.mp - EX.Roll or EX.FBA or CA.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hPF51ZXRA&t=327s
I'm not a NuckleDu fan but drat, seeing Marn getting the taste of his own medicine is hella satisfying.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Alright so why doesn't this game just use straight chess Elo? I don't get why it uses this bizarro sorta-Elo tier system instead of just chess Elo, or having two Elo (player and character) and combining the two to matchmake.

Because Crapcom.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dias posted:

oh

hey guys

could you, ahm, make it so that this game supports DirectInput as it should have from release date on PC?

no?

that's fine... :smith:

(I mean, you could at least acknowledge the issue, ArcSys is doing better community work for fuckin' MELTY "Been Dead For 10 Years" BLOOD)

They said that they'll be adding DirectInput support and keyboard rebindings at a later date.
Though they have said an awful lot and did very little so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ixiggle posted:

Stopping a jump is not all that difficult, making it hurt when you stop it is another matter.

Unless you're maining Vega.
Either I'm god awful or SFV Vega has even worse AA options compared to SF4 Vega.

In SF4 I had no problems stopping all of of the jumpins. Especially considering that cr.hp, st.hk and flashkick were pretty decent in SF4. While in SFV there's no flashkick anymore, st.hk has 5 minutes long startup and claw cr.hp has poo poo priority.

*grumble grumble*

EDIT: I wish I could make myself NOT play Vega anymore.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Periodiko posted:

Vega's really strong, his anti-air options are weak, but if you're a Vega player from SF4 they really aren't significantly better or worse. Standing heavy kick has more start-up, but crush counters for hundreds of damage. If you don't like playing him, okay, but dropping him because you think he's too weak is a mistake IMO.

Again, it might be that I'm bad at SFV but I feel that Vega's anti-air options are definitely way worse than they were in SF4.
Even going by raw numbers, st.hk is 3(!) times slower (comparing to Ryu, whom the game is build around, his cr.hp is only 50% slower), cr.hp is 2 times slower with a wonky hitbox, Scarlet Terror is gone and I it used it a lot in SF4.

Also, I never said that I think that Vega is bad, if anything he's higher tier in SFV than he was in SF4 (which doesn't say much but still).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

His good matchups are okay, and his bad matchups are very, very bad. I'm still gonna main Vega, I just figure to be in the Dan zone for now.

I found out that for some matchups (like Laura for example), running in clawless mode helps Vega a whole bunch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of standing jabs - what sort of situations do I want to use Vega's st. lp. in? Both of his crouching jabs are fine for poking people and chaining into his roll, and his standing lk seems nice for jabbing when my opponent isn't expecting it, but people in this game spend so much time crouching that 90 percent of my st. lps. just go straight over their heads. Doesn't seem like a good fit for poking people out of the air either.

If they try to do a very close range cross-up on you, you can walk forward (so that the cross-up misses) and hit them with a st.lp.

Evil Canadian posted:

Clawless is better than claw in every match except vs zangief and the mirror.

*ed*

Seriously if you wanna stick with Vega, make clawless your top priority its sadly basically nearly strictly superior to claw.

I'm not so sure. I always used to play SF4 Vega incredibly lame, focusing on pokes and punishes primarily, and in SFV claw st.mp is the the only good poke Vega really had anymore.

I dunno, maybe SFV isn't not the same character anymore and I'm playing him all wrong.

EDIT: I wish they just added Cody to SFV. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this character crisis anymore.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 30, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any reason to use st.hp - st.lp like that when you might as well do the st.hp - Stance Switch - cr.mp instead?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Raw s.HP is -2 on block and s.HP xx stance is -4 i believe, so that's something

I might be wrong but I think st.hp - stance switch is actually -2.

A.o.D. posted:

Meterless knockdown, and it doesn't take off your claw if you want to keep it on. Other than that, sure, go for the stance switch.

Also, if you're hit confirming into Critical art, st. HP>ASE>CA does more damage than any possible claw switch confirm into CA that doesn't involve v trigger.

That makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Is this the new "LAURA IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME"?

Fat ugly and socially retarded neckbeards with slight psychopathic tendencies, like me, love playing a crazy, sexy and charismatic character, like Vega.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Nonsense, her matchup against zangief and Vega is outstanding.

Using clawless really helps in that match-up by the way.

Evil Canadian posted:

Seriously loving stop using Claw on Vega. If you think Vega is bad its because you are using the claw. No claw vega has huge damage output, is plus on everything, still has good range, and the walkspeed to make all that pressure work.

Claw is for vs zangief, and finishing the match once one or two more hits will end it, that's basically it. I know the claw is supposed to be the defining thing and all but just forget he has it.

You're probably totally right, I just...want to go back to poking people to death.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So people under RQ cooldown can still play Casual.
Let me get this straight, Capcom. Instead of removing ragequitters from Ranked, you spread them out between Ranked and Casual, so now I can't even stick to Casual if I want to avoid them?
Great job.

Evil Canadian posted:

And clawless isn't bad for pokes either, st.mp has some decent range on it and is is quite quick at 6 frames, on top of being special cancelable.

I just tried playing a few matches 100% clawless and sadly, it worked very well. I didn't even notice any practical reduction in my range and f.hp was always useless anyways.
*sigh*
Vega, what did they do to you.

Evil Canadian posted:

If you wanna poke the night away, Chun, Birdie and Karin are all great picks.

I tried both of them out but Chun and Karin are way too difficult to play with my level of execution and Birdie is just sooooo slooow.
The reason why I loved Vega so much in SF4 was because his buttons were insane AND he had the movespeed that allowed me to stand exactly where I wanted for those buttons to work properly. And also rolls were safe.
I was basically chipping away at my opponents with rolls, buttons, anti-airs and punishes with occasional surprise switches into pressure with things like max-range Cosmic Heel.
And now Capcom took everything away from him. :/

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 1, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So is Vega vs Chun-Li a 0-10 match-up or do I just suck rear end?
Because that's the only match-up that I seem to never be able to win.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp posted:

i tried to boot up this game to give guile a real try but the game doesn't recognize my stick in 360 mode anymore even through a computer restart but y'know everything else sure is!!!

SFV isn't even supposed to recognize XInput controllers. Either use Direct Input mode or use something like x360ce.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

i don't get it as much as i did, but i also don't play games unless it says 4-5 bar connection. netcode in this seems vastly superior to my SF4 experience, but i'm also on PC now instead of X360

Netcode is better or worse than SF4 depending on your playstyle.
For autopilting it's way better but if you actually want to react to poo poo, good luck with this loving rollback.

To be fair, when both players have a great connection, SFV has a better netcode than SF4. It's just that it almost never is that way (even when the game says it's 5 bars) and personally, I prefer the way SF4 handled lag.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 3, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why can't Capcom ask the Skullgirls guys for their netcode?
I remember playing that against Americans across the pond with 175 ping and even then it still had less rollback than what most 5-bar connections in SFV have.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Goetta posted:

Hey Capcom I have literally 0 LP. Can you stop matching me against Silvers on a weekend afternoon thank you

You will be matched with Silvers and Golds 90% of the time, no matter what your rank is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't been following SF5 much but is there input delay but the inputs aren't also buffered throughout or what because that explains a lot

In combos, yeah, where's input lag doesn't matter (mostly). What that massive input lag results in is a game where defensive players have a much harder time reacting to whatever the other person does.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

General Morden posted:

whats a company that sucks in a good way

Cosplay Hoes Inc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WHAT. IS. THIS. HORSESHIT?

Why does Vega's st.lk have this hurtbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Thats not a hurtbox, it's the proximity block.

Oh, I thought that was the whiff hurtbox.
I guess I'm dumb then.