Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

that's right, I do want fighting games to be good and people to play good fighting games as opposed to bad ones

you've got me

If SFV didn't exist why do you think the players would play whatever fighting game you want instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

no, but I would spend a lot less time laughing at how bad SFV is

Your posts don't make you sound like you're laughing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

But I also can't comprehend the sadbrain mentality of having hundreds of posts about a game I don't play so heck,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

well then read them different

Srice posted:

But I also can't comprehend the sadbrain mentality of having hundreds of posts about a game I don't play so heck,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not sure you can comprehend any sort of mentality friend

Oh word?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I may be buying a PS4 and this game soon, so I gotta know: how is Sagat in this game?

Not in it yet, and he's not planned for the first wave of DLC.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

The video says you apparently get the win/points if your opponent disconnects so that's something

On the other hand it takes 4 disconnects to trigger the timeout so I dunno if that's really gonna stop anyone

At least from the perspective of the other player they get a win so that's gonna make it way less frustrating to experience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

Sure, but fighting games don't teach you how to play at a level past "extremely basic" without you having to consult other sources. I'm not saying they MUST - it's just the reality of the genre as it is -, but you improve much faster just by playing other games than you do just by playing fighting games. It requires a lot of homework, as I said, and I feel that just "learning by doing" is the fastest road to getting frustrated and giving up on the genre altogether.

It also really doesn't help that the response to the mere suggestion that this aspect of the genre could be improved for new players is to say that the babies want their hand held and they don't wanna practice, etc, when the reality is they just don't know where to start.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zand posted:

the basics of the game ARE taught to you inside of the base game. it even breaks down more complex interactions in the challenge mode. if you want to practice, start reading the screen as you play.

**the option to save replays is present at the end of every match online, and the option to view them is in the main menu as is training mode**

you can even view the ranked replays for top players, sorted by character, with incredible ease. the fact of the matter is that when players "don't know where to start" they just havent been paying attention. also expecting an unexplored competitive game to be released alongside a guidebook for how to play well does not make sense, as competitive games constantly evolve. like this game is nearly featureless but it certainly has everything necessary to get good if you pay attention or put forth any effort whatsoever

Yeah that just proved my point

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Being condescending towards people asking legit questions is definitely a solution if your goal is to drive them away from the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zand posted:

is expecting people to read the screen of the game they are playing condescending? because apparently im giving them too much credit expecting people to do this and they actually sound like they WANT to be condescended to. maybe the game should teach you the alphabet and how to read too

The post I had quoted specifically mentioned about how people have to use out of game resources.