Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

That does sound like a good idea, I just don't know if it'll lead to successful throws. But hey punch/kicks in the face are good too.

It absolutely does. Either the player will be conditioned to not do it and throws will work more often, or they'll never learn and you're get crush counters for days.

On ranked it might not work that well, but it certainly does in sets longer than one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I sat down for my first extended online session on ranked/casual today since the betas and did pretty well, going 13-4. I'm now sitting comfortably at the 1250-1300lp range and I'm quite sure I can do better than that.

I practiced a few offensive setups with Necalli and drilled my meaty timing, which I think helped a lot. I'm finding that you HAVE to pressure on wakeup with Necalli, it's pretty much all that he's got. Meaty cr.hp is extremely good, and you can cancel into medium stomps for a frame trap or light stomps for a blockstring. It loses to invincible reversals, as does the medium stomp cancel, but it works really well and the newbie Ryus don't seem to realize that heavy shoryuken doesn't have invincibility like medium does so I'm getting a lot of crush counters with it.

So far I'm thinking that Necalli is going to be a very matchup-dependant character, maybe moreso than a lot of the cast. I've been dunking all over Ken, Ryu and Vega like crazy, as well as bad Laura (although good ones have better close-in mixups) and bad Fangs, of which there are more than good Fangs. I can't do anything useful against Nash though, I don't know how to fight against Bison and I fall for dumb Karin overheads almost every time. I suspect Vega is actually a pretty even matchup for him, but the ones I'm playing against don't have very good footsies.

I think I need to delve deeper into other characters' frame data to figure out what is and isn't punishable for Nash and Bison. I've started with Nash and noticed that super will punish a blocked f+HP from him from any range, so that's a start, but Bison is a complete mystery to me. Does anybody have any tips on how to deal with him? I tried to dp him when he was in v-trigger and he stomped on my head in midair and killed me. It looked cool but I'd rather not have it happen again.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

are nash's lights faster than ryu's? i just lost two rounds in a row to nash at the wire both rounds came down to one hit to win we were point blank range each time and my crouch jab never came out. next time i guess i'll try to block and counter instead of being aggressive.

Nash's st.lp is slower than Ryu's by one frame, crouching jab is the same at 4 frames for each of them.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've been making attempts at hard survival with Necalli because I'm unemployed and masochistic but it's pretty horrible. I've gotten to stage 33 and been beaten by Bison four times now. Additionally, I've only ever beaten a single Bison in ranked matches, but I guess it's not as bad as it sounds because I've only fought four or five. I'm not sure if that's a bad matchup for Necalli or if it's more of a mental thing, but I've been grinding punishes and setups in training mode against him and it just doesn't work out, because nobody does his unsafe stuff and his offensive pressure is just too much for me to handle.

I'm not sure why it would be a bad matchup for Necalli, though, so I'm leaning towards a general hatred of Bison at the moment. Anybody got any tips against him? Specifically, I know his scissors are negative on block but not enough to punish, so I try to throw out Necalli's 3f jab or 5f s.mk and see what I can do, but really I just can't deal with him dashing in and counterhitting me when I try to poke at him and I'm not sure why it's only against Bison I'm having such a problem. When he goes into V-Trigger it's much worse, and I can't do anything about his mixups and cross-throughs.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Hey, my first ragequit! I was wondering when that would happen. It was against a Ryu player named CuteGirl or some poo poo, and they seemed unable to cope with the fact that their jump back hadouken --> jump forward roundhouse sweep didn't work. Sucks, because they were a higher rank than me and I would've gotten a bunch of free points off of them, but ah well. Who cares about points.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've been fiddling with Ryu a bit and lost to a Ken who kept backrolling and mashing jab to catch me as I chased him. That was frustrating, so I worked on meaty setups in training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgE38LiNro

Ryu's damage is insane.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

This (as well as your other videos) are really helpful, but as someone who's had a really hard time dealing with Bison, I've had the most trouble when he gets his V-trigger going. Any plans to touch on that at all?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

giogadi posted:

Omg guys, churning the butter update: I won my second match so I'm 1-1! I found out I could use the ds4 I brought so I picked mika into a chun. They actually were really good, knew their combos, but I think they haven't played many mikas. I closed out the set 2-0 with a critical art finish. Feels absolutely incredible I have to admit, my nerves are still firing.

Nice, congrats on the win man! What name did you enter under?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Anybody up for some critique the goon time?

I recorded a few matches for critiquing if anybody's bored and feels like bashing somone.

Here's a match against a Nash. I did okay here whereas I'm usually not great against good Nashes, so this guy is probably not so good. I'm awful at anti-airing and really tentative to do it because Necalli's dp is pretty slow on startup and whiffs on people crossing up, so that's a thing I'm working on. I also didn't punish as well as I should, and I dropped a really important combo at the end.

This is me against a Laura that I had just beat previously. I played like a complete moron round one, played alright round two and played kind of dumb round three again. I felt better about the win but thought this might be a better match to get feedback on.

Finally me against Birdie. The two characters I have major problems with are Bison and Birdie, and watching this I think I'm just not dealing with the matchup against Birdie well at all. I jump too often, I get hit with his dive grab WAY too much, I try to punish things I shouldn't and try to poke out of strings at the wrong times. I think I just need to grind punishes and know Birdie's pressure strings a bit better, as well as constantly being on the watch for his dive grab. Also stop jumping in at him, because that rarely works.

I went 11-4 in this session, so I'm feeling alright with it, but I'd rather not lose to some of the things I lose to. I get really upset with myself if I lose to Kens and Ryus doing dumb poo poo, even though I'm arguably dumber for falling for it. Sometimes pressuring on wakeup isn't the best idea, and I tend to get pretty predictable with my wakeup pressure.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Madcosby posted:

I'll give this a lil shot

I think Necalli has weak anti airs.. his DP tends to go too forward, and obviously misisng one of those hurts a lot. But it looks like you rely solely on his DP for anti-air, just a spaz jumpbackwards kick or I think he has an uppercut with fierce would mix things up and be easier to set up

As for your other match ups, you've got training room fever. You've got a solid control on your combos, but arent doing anything at all unless you have an opportunity to toss them out. I think you just need to mix in a single jab more instead of blocking endlessly waiting for a punish. Dont spam it, just make your enemy not sit atop you the entire game

but who knows, im a scrub

Thanks for the advice. I don't throw out jabs in the middle of blockstrings because I'm not entirely sure what is and isn't a frametrap designed to catch that yet, but I'll try to keep it more in mind. As for anti-airs, his cr.hp is okay but suffers a lot of the same problems as his dp, in that it doesn't have a good hitbox for deep or crossup jumpins. I think I need to react with jump back lp or something more often when someone jumps from close range, or time a dp for the opposite side or something. I'll fiddle with it in training.

angel opportunity posted:

I only watched the Birdie one.

You have hit-confirms and some stuff down. You're not a super scrub brain-dead player, so you WILL improve if you just keep playing. I'm throwing that out there because some people are just so bad you don't want to tell them to "just play" because it won't help them due to bad mindset etc.

Anyway, the biggest thing I'm seeing is that you have like..."proto-footsies". You do things that show you have an understanding of spacing and safe distances, but you aren't really doing anything with it. You sometimes stay way back out of all of Birdie's ranges because you realize he's outpoking you, and then other times you are in on him doing stuff, but I don't see much of you moving back and forth trying to bait certain pokes out of him and then punishing.

You do some pokes that count as footsies, but you're not really PLAYING FOOTSIES. This is a kind of vague critique, but watch the video and note every time you jump for no real reason. Then note the time that Birdie chain grabs you out of the jump. That happened because you were getting so predictable with the jumps. It's like you are frustrated you are losing footsies, so you jump.

You also go for DP way too much.

Watch some videos of good Necali players in tournaments (there are quite a few now) and try to see how they are handling footsies specifically. What buttons are they using that you aren't? What range are they tending to stay at? What do you think Necali's optimal range is in the Birdie matchup when you're in the neutral game?

I appreciate this. Necalli's pokes aren't nearly as good as Birdie's so I try not to engage in a footsies war with him in general, hence me avoiding it entirely and either backing off or jumping after a poke or two. Maybe I shouldn't shy away from it so much, considering Birdie's one of my demons I really need to change something up. Counterpoking is something I need to work on in training mode I think.

Edit: That's gotta be Birdie's jump in thing where he lays down in mid-air, right? I'm not sure what button.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Lost a few in a row after my success earlier and was trying to claw my way back up to Ultra Bronze. It was going pretty well, and then I was about thirty points away from the rank up and I came up against a Zangief on a 6 fight win streak.

It was a sloppy-rear end fight, from both of our sides. I tried to dp and got super (which happens to me with alarming frequency) on one of his jump-ins and lost the first round, then won the second by the skin of my teeth. Despite it being sloppy as hell with counterhits and bad pokes everywhere, I was having fun. I managed to bait out his super, neutral jump it, and land into a combo that I proceeded to gently caress up. Then he panicked and tried to combo and he hosed up. Then I landed a combo and actually won. Then he ragequit. Then I lost three games in a row.

This is the first time a ragequit actually made me a bit angry. I hope they actually come up with something decent. Treating it the same as a loss seems obvious, but maybe it's hard to tell who lost connection first or something, although you'd think it'd be easy what with everybody being connected to their lovely servers at all times.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I haven't played a Tekken since 3, but Tekken Force mode was something I spent a lot of time with and remember having fun. They should do that and not dramatic battle because dramatic battle was dumb and bad.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

Beaten, but FWIW Necalli's standing MP is a really good confirm to use (and you see a lot of the better players using it) because you can link it into cr.MP and cancel into LP Dash to push an opponent into the corner, or cancel immediately into LK Stomp (which can be canceled into Super). When you're closer, st. MK is a good one as well.

It's worth noting that s.MK starts up in 5 frames as opposed to s.MP's 6 frames, so it punishes things that s.MP wouldn't. That being said, the range on it is atrocious, and if you're fishing for hits s.MP is probably better. If you're fishing for counter hits, cr.MP starts in 5 frames as well and combos into itself on counter, which can then be cancelled into light slashes. All of his mediums other than cr.MK are +2 on block, so they're decent for frame-traps too.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

dhamster posted:

People like to post long lists of bnb combos for characters, but as a complete beginner, how does one work on introducing that into gameplay? Lots of training mode? If so, which ones do people tend to work on first?

As people have said, pick one good hit confirm combo that leaves you safe if you see that they blocked, and one punish combo that you can use to punish unsafe moves. I'm also kind of half-heartedly learning Ryu, and I've been using s.MP, s.MP xx qcb+MK for his hit confirm, because s.MP is safe on block and if you see that they blocked the first two s.MP, don't cancel into tatsu. If it hits, medium tatsu carries far into the corner. It does a bit less damage than heavy tatsu, but heavy tatsu crosses over them after hitting. For a punish combo, cr.HP xx HP DP is nice and simple, and you can cancel the dp into super if you have it and want the damage.

Obviously there are more damaging options, like s.MP on hit can combo into cr.HP and you can go from there, but cr.HP is really unsafe on block and you have to be pretty close to hit. These are things you can work on over time after you get the basic stuff down. It might be important to know that s.MP, s.MP isn't a true blockstring, meaning they can use an invincible reversal and hit you out of it, but I haven't had problems with it yet.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a guide for bison necalli combos etc?

E:
So I'm pretty sure full charge characters are not for me it just feels so painful to play Bison and know that if you miss the timer you get punished. I'm trying necalli right now and its slow too but he feels like an interesting character that has some good mid to close pressure.

I'm really miffed that I can't find any guides or writeups anywhere that aren't from version 2 beta of him though.

Basic Necalli combo: s.MK or s.MP, cr.MP xx light slashes. Use medium slashes if you're in V-Trigger.

For punishes, use cr.HP xx medium stomps, cr.MP xx light slashes, again use medium slashes if in V-Trigger.

Those are his two basics. For fast punishes, you can do s.LP, s.LP xx heavy DP, which starts in 3 frames. For lows, do cr.LK, cr.LP xx heavy DP, this starts in four frames.

Off of a divekick, you can jab into heavy DP.

You can combo super off of any stomps, so for his BnB you can do s.MK, cr.MP xx light stomps xx super, or do super off of the medium stomps from his punish combo above.

Good enough, or do you need other stuff too?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

oh im gonna need a poo poo ton lol but I'll try to start with this.

How about hsi command throw? I have trouble landing it.

I mean you can't combo into his command grab, but you can tick into it off of a meaty s.LK on wakeup or just a straight jab tick into it.

Alright, effort post incoming:

Meterless combos:

No V-Trigger
s.MK or s.MP, c.MP xx light slashes (186 damage, 310 stun, 5 frame startup for s.MK, 6 for s.MP)
-You can tick into this with a meaty s.LK on their wakeup, use this combo often because s.MK, s.MP and cr.MP are all +2 on block so you can frame trap off of any of them, but it's hard to confirm afterwards because you can't really hit a third medium due to range. Also worth noting is that c.MP combos into itself on counterhit, so it's a decent button to catch mashing jab on wakeup if you time it meaty. Jump in MK is a great starter if you can jump.

c.LK, c.LP xx HP DP (62 damage, 157 stun, hits low, 4 frame startup)
-Good low starter, need to be really close or the DP will whiff. Can be harder to hit confirm because it's two lights, but with practice it's not too bad. You can also just c.MK xx light stomps from most ranges, which also goes into super from a low, but light stomps are not safe on block at -4 (don't tell anybody though, nobody knows this yet).

s.LP, s.LP xx HP DP (81 damage, 157 stun, 3 frames)
-Quick punish if you know you need something fast. If you don't need to be THAT fast, cr.MP xx light slashes is also a good punish as it has really good range, unlike the jab, but that's 5 frames of startup instead of 3.

j.df HK, s.LP xx HP DP (194 damage, 283 stun)
-Divekick has to be pretty deep or you won't combo and will eat a huge punish if you do the dp, but it's a really solid amount of damage off of the divekick.

c.HP xx qcf+MK, c.MP xx light slashes (254 damage, 425 stun, 9 frames)
-Really good punish for some things like poorly spaced spiral arrow from Cammy. Not so good on counter hit because a counter c.HP launches them into the air and the stomps give you a knockdown, but you can't do the rest of the combo. Still good though. Neutral jump HP into this is pretty great for command grab reads and the like, does a ton of stun.

CC s.HK can lead into the c.HP combo or straight into super, or his s.MK combo if you're close enough. C.MK xx light stomps is better range afterwards for worse damage, or you can just do another s.HK. If you get the timing down, you can also do medium slashes afterwards.

Mid-Trigger:
s.MK, c.MP xx HPHK xx c.MP xx light slashes (241 damage, 350 stun)
-Easy confirm into trigger, but honestly I don't use it often. Better uses for trigger IMO, like off of a s.HK to continue a combo, or off of sweep to make it safer.

c.HP xx HPHK xx c.HP xx qcf+HK, HP DP (302 damage, 476 stun)

Super Saiyan mode
s.MK, c.MP xx medium slashes (227 damage, 310 stun)
-Note that it's medium slashes here for better damage and stun in V-Trigger. Otherwise, same stuff as above. c.MP combos into itself in V-Trigger, so you can do c.MP, c.MP xx medium slashes as well, which is notable because of how much range it has whilst triggered.

c.HP xx qcf+MK, c.MP xx medium slashes (318 damage, 425 stun)

For 1 bar:
Using ex slashes instead of light slashes as a combo ender works really well, as it tacks on about sixty extra damage and forty or so stun, which doesn't sound like a lot but it does certainly help. It also carries really far across the screen towards a corner, where you can really start applying meaty stomp pressure and whatnot. I won't bother listing all of the combos because they're mostly the same as above but with ex slashes, ex stomps or ex dp at the end, but the ones to note are below.

c.LK, c.LP xx qcf+KK (134 damage, 293 stun)
s.LP, s.LP xx qcf+KK (153 damage, 293 stun)
-I'm listing these because the additional damage and stun is really good, and ex stomps leaves you +2 frames on hit, allowing you to follow up with s.MK or throw (or command grab if you really catch them sleeping, but don't rely on this because command grab has 8 frames of startup across the board leaving them 6 frames to mash out of)

Critical Art:
Again, I won't re-list all of the combos above, but anytime you would cancel into light slashes, cancel into light stomp and cancel THAT into critical art. Unless you're at peak range with s.MP, c.MP, it should combo and you'll get a super cancel, otherwise you whiff a light stomp and hopefully they're too scared to do anything (usually the case online). You can also directly cancel c.LP or s.LP into super, but it's difficult (although useful to be able to do, especially off of the divekick) so practice that poo poo in training.

The notable exception is his punish combo from above. Don't do that but use stomps into super instead, because it whiffs more often than not. Instead:
c.HP xx qcf+MK, c.MP xx CA (424 damage, 320 stun) is a guaranteed hit. Do this. It's good. Don't be dumb and accidentally do medium stomps into critical art after c.MP like I do all of the time, because even if you're in range it doesn't combo and you just let them block everything.

If you're in V-Trigger, you can combo c.MP xx qcf+MK xx CA at the appropriate times in the above combos for great damage.
c.HP xx qcf+MK, c.MP xx qcf+MK xx CA works in V-Trigger and does 518 damage and 390 stun, which is really good.
If you have trigger stocked but not active yet, do this:
s.MK, c.MP xx HKHP xx c.MP xx qcf+MK xx CA (407 damage, 320 stun)

Feel free to figure out which normals you like to cancel into V-Trigger, though. There's some wiggle room.

Other notable combo choices are c.HP xx heavy stomps into either CA, HP DP at specific ranges or EX DP at almost any range, but I don't like the inconsistency and am too lazy to practice that. Crush counter combos have a lot of freedom if you're close when you hit the s.HK, too, so figure out what you like to do. I like to save V-Trigger until I throw one of these out, and if you crush counter a s.HK, do another s.HK, activate V-Trigger, c.HP xx heavy slashes is a really good combo both for screen position and damage, but doesn't work from max range s.HK.

I'm sure I'm omitting a ton, but that should help. Still lots for you to know about setups and whatnot, but this post is way too long already. Good luck my New Zealand Anime Character Brother.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

Thanks a ton HoboJim if you're around this weekend maybe we can do some online practice.

Sure thing. If you're on steam, I'm Hobojim on there as well, and it's also my CFN ID.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So for my fellow Necalli players, here's an interesting setup.

It requires V-Trigger and for you to have them in the corner, so it's a bit situational, but it seems pretty good. Basically you do a meaty medium stomp on them after a BnB if they're close enough to the corner, and you can time it so it counterhits 3f normals, letting you combo into c.HP xx heavy stomps and go from there. You can light stomp them out of the air from the heavy stomp to put yourself back in a similar situation to where you started, but this time the meaty stomp will trade with 3f normals, allowing you to hit them with a cr.HP anyway and continue the setup.

This works on backroll or quickrise and can be modified on reaction to no quickrise at all. You can get insane damage off of it if they press buttons on wakeup. It works without V-Trigger too, but only if they don't backroll; it still beats quickrise and no quickrise.

On block, the meaty stomp leaves you at +3, allowing safe pressure. Obviously all of this loses to invincible reversals (supers, dps, etc.)

In terms of other setups, after a BnB midscreen with or without V-Trigger, you can dash forwards and do c.HP that hits meaty, allowing a full combo. If they backroll it'll whiff though. If you see a backroll, you can throw out a s.HK which will whiff if they block and crush counter if they hit any button that isn't invincible, but you're pretty far away so you can't capitalize too much. Another roundhouse into V-Trigger activation or just medium slashes work well enough.

Learning the timing for meaty s.LK is also quite good, because it has 4 active frames and leaves you at +2 on block without any meaty setups anyway, so it can leave you with a ton of frame advantage if you get the timing right. This is a really good setup for his command grab or just to go into his s.MK basic combo.

If any other better Necalli players have any good setups, I'd love to hear them!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

What should I try to hit people with as Ryu when they wake up?

I've been doing cr MK+Hadoken, cr HK, and throw, and sometimes try to jump in and crossup

Should I be trying to do heavier attacks like F+HP into a combo and that sort of thing and try to time it so that it's meaty?

I've had success with f+HP, put be careful doing it against people with invincible reversals. It's safe on block, even if you don't do it meaty. If you land a medium tatsu BnB, you can dash forward and medium punch for a guaranteed meaty on quickrise or backroll that beats 3f normals and can lead to ridiculous damage. If they don't quickrise, you recover in plenty of time to do something else, and if they block you're safe anyway.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

yo, feel free to make fun of me, but can someone explain this concept to me: https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/710127488605802499

Using the first picture as an example:

Necalli's s.HP has 9 frames of startup and 5 active frames (only four are shown here because that's all that's needed). The highlighted boxes are the active frames, and the non-highlighted boxes are startup frames.

The shaded boxes are animation frames for quickrise and backroll. Backroll has 5 extra frames of animation than quickrise. The numbers after the shaded boxes are the startup frames of the 3f normal, before they're active.

Where it says "CH" is which frame you get the counterhit. If you time it right, the first active frame of s.HP will counterhit on a quickrise, and the fourth will counterhit on backroll. This is because the 3f normal is still in startup when it coincides with the active frame of s.HP.

The second picture is the same idea, you just have to time Bison's s.MP later so he shows less animation frames (shaded boxes) for the quickrise and backroll, and the normal to be beat is 4f instead of three, hence counting to four after the shaded boxes.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

FallenGod posted:

So would turning off vsync in the ini and setting adaptive vsync in the nvidia drivers work or do I get to choose between:

1) vsync with input lag
2) 600 fps with eye-watering frame tearing

I did the vsync in the nVidia control panel and got no screen tearing at all, and anecdotally am blocking things better now. Could just be confirmation bias though.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

The input lag thing makes me feel vindicated in saying "I loving blocked that" sometimes, so that's something. Still enjoying the game though.

Road to silver was fraught with troubles, though. First time I got a rank-up match, I beat a gold-ranked Ryu who ragequit on me, then promptly lost to a teleporting Mika. Climbing back into rank-up territory was fine, then a lag-spiking Vega beat me. Another good match, another win, then in the third rank-up match in a row I had a super lovely lag fest. Last night was frustrating.

Today, first match of the day was a super silver Karin who I beat in two rounds to put me into silver. I know that's not a big deal, but it's nice and this is the first time I've felt actually competent at a fighting game since I started taking them seriously. I haven't been playing ranked too often, so I'm sure it could've happened sooner, but ranked isn't as fun as sets so meh.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

It's cool, Bebop is just Johnny from Karate Kid: technically skilled, knowledgeable and a huge rear end in a top hat for no reason sometimes. Necromonster is like his idiot friend who follows him around and yells "Yeeeeeeah, put him in a body bag!" at the end of the movie or whatever it's been a while since I've seen that movie.

But no, we must fight against the thread becoming a hugbox or something. That would be horrible. Having discussions without insults is just not in the spirit of fighting games or something.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

croutonZA posted:

Don't forgot the babies who take anyone making fun of the game as a personal insult instead of ignoring them like sane people do. This thread is quite fun tbh.

Who's doing this? The worst I've seen is someone say that having to use xpadder is bad but at least it's a way around the problem followed by people saying that he's eating poo poo and sucking capcom's dick or something. They seemed a lot more bothered that someone dared suggest a way around the problem instead of just hating on everybody playing the game because of it. Genuinely curious, maybe I missed some posts.

Edit:

Zophar posted:

I don't understand why when I lose it's almost always ~ 66 LP off my total but every win is only about +35 back on. I haven't been able to identify any sort of logic or consistency to it.

It's based on your relative LP. If you beat someone much higher in rank, you get 100+ lp, if you beat someone much lower you get like 20.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

Not sure how useful this is, but I noticed last night while grinding out bnbs with Necalli that if you have an opponent in the corner and do st.MK xx st.HK xx VSkill (close), you can stick out a st.LK and reset them; I didn't experiment any more than to try and get a command grab follow up, but that could lead to some interesting setups if anyone wants to try it. No V-Trigger required, either!

You can also EX DP with or without V-Trigger! I should use that combo more often, but it's so punishable and really hard to hit confirm outside of jump ins so I don't bother. Always something to work on.

We should play sometime, bhsman! I need to see how other Necallis are playing and get some character specific feedback, I feel like I'm not mixing things up very well.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

EDIT: ^^^I'd argue Eliza is played up a bit as a sex symbol up until the second you start using her moves :v:

I see guys like BJUnchained pressure with st.MK on wakeup a lot, so maybe it's a good way to change things up.

The problem with that is you don't have time to confirm if the s.mk hit before going into s.hk because it's a target combo and not a link, and if they block but you go into s.hk they can punish or even interrupt with a full punish if you go for the v-skill followup, landing them a free counterhit. I don't know the number of frames in between, but I land my five frame normal easily in between s.hk -> v-skill and it doesn't feel tight at all, so I'm guessing at least 7-8 frames.

I've been waking up with s.lk a lot because it's active for four frames and if you hit it meaty you can combo into s.mk, cr.mp xx light slashes, and because a meaty s.lk has so much frame advantage you can tick into command grab really well.

quote:

I'm down, I just usually have been so busy between school (last semester of law school :sweatdrop:) and work that most of my time playing SFV has just been grinding out combos in training mode and then a smattering of sets with some friends.

I'm Hobojim on steam if you want to add me, also Hobojim on CFN and I hang out in the discord server somewhat regularly. Hit me up when you need a break from case studies or something!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

God this loving thread...

Does anybody play FANG? In SFV, not one of the other games everybody wants to talk about in the SFV thread. I need some matchup experience and only one person on my friend's list plays him, but not as his main. You don't have to be a good FANG, but knowing what to do is a plus.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

I think if I knew anyone that played F-A-N-G I would stop being their friend so consider that as an option.

You have to out them as FANG players before you can defriend them, and now nobody's going to come out of the woodwork to admit it for fear of being defriended by Saint Freak. Perfectly good sting operation ruined, thanks a lot rear end in a top hat.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Do you understand japanese? Here's the topanga episode where mago, tokido, and momochi figured out how they were going to murk sonicfox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hP5pQeYwMY

if only i could understand japanese :negative:

It's funny how art's setting up a private discord chat to share tech with the big names in the west while japan has 3 of the gods just going over it on stream and youtube for 2 hours for everyone who can understand english. momochi talked about the fuzzy jump in one of his introduction videos lol

e: also, is it possible that sonicfox is the best american playing one of the worst characters in the game right now? snake eyez 2.0?

I don't, but thanks for the vid anyway. Maybe I'll just try him out myself, see what works and what doesn't.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

Yeah man, Mika's tits are staying in her brassiere with Muscle Spirit alone.

EDIT: Mika's Alpha costume was not only closer to actual women's wrestler outfits, but modern women's wrestling outfits probably shouldn't be left as the standard, especially in terms of sexual exploitation.

That said, I agree: Mika seems really fun to play but her outfit is a bit too ridiculous. Same with Laura: put her in an actual jiu-jitsu gi (or at least give her a sports bra, Jesus) and I'm 100% more interested in that character.

I was really hoping Laura's second costume would be a gi but instead we got that retarded half-shirt and thong. Ah well, I'm sure a gi costume will come along eventually.

I've seen a few streams with costume mods, so I'm sure there'll be some awesome (as well as some ridiculous and horrible) costumes readily available, even if only you can see them.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bhsman posted:

Oh hey Hobojim and any other Necalli players: in case you missed me sharing this awhile back, here is a very useful punish guide with Necalli that has a recommended punish for most moves against every character.

Yeah, that's been my bible when I can't figure out how to punish something. It's tremendously useful and I hope other characters have something similar.

Speaking of other characters, FANG is garbage. Terrible damage, comboing into fireball is REALLY negative ON HIT, and his normals are mostly only +1 at best, but he's got a four frame jab as his fastest normal so I hope you like trading during frame traps against characters with 3f jabs. His poison damage ticks way too slowly, too. What a strange character. He does have a sick-rear end mixup off of an anti-air cr.HP though, you can cancel the first hit of it into either light or medium roll to get a left-right mixup. He's no Abel, but it's something. FANG would probably do well against lower-level players who jump a lot and can't deal with mixups off of that alone, but if I'm actually going to use him (spoilers: I won't) I'll need to come up with some good frametraps that might work against the Ryus, Mikas and Necallis of the internet. His meterless combo DOES do a good amount of stun though, but without crush counters you can't even get over 400 damage in a CA combo.

Another thing I noticed that I hadn't before: You can't input back charge moves by going from db to df in this game. Considering Necalli has a back charge move I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, but I was trying to do some fun stuff by holding down charge while doing FANG's back charge move and it doesn't work. I've only really messed around with charge characters in KoF; is this normal in SF? I thought you could hold flash kick charge while doing sonic booms, but I've never actually used Guile so I hadn't really tested it.

Edit: Huh, now I can only get the cr.HP xx roll to cross under regardless of which button I press. Maybe it's timing related or I just got lucky, I don't know. There goes my fun.

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2016

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not sure I understand, you can do db -> f for charge moves

Yes, but you can't do db -> df for charge moves, keeping down charge so you can then go d -> u and do it immediately. You lose down charge if you go db -> f.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This is so you cant keep flash kick charge after throwing a boom

Gotcha. That's lame as gently caress. Leona in KoFXIII can do this and it's integral to some of her combos, and the charge time in that game is super quick anyway.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Baal posted:

It's a cool thing that Guile's always had so don't be surprised when he can't do it anymore because "character diversity." Also Urien will probably have none of his cool stuff he used to have either, but I think we all knew that was coming anyways.

Okay so he COULD do that in older SF games? I took Dangerdoom's post to mean he couldn't.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

For whatever reason, something just clicked inside me and I went from around 900 LP to 1600 in the span of an evening and two 5 win streaks. I also completely crapped all over a 2700 LP Necalli so that helped.

Only 400 LP away from silver rank so if I keep grinding I'll hit silver this week, especially since I have friday off. Pretty soon I'll be out of scrub town!

Also apparently something awoke in kbrad too, because his Cammy was pretty crappy but had a huge improvement at Final Round.

Congrats Gammatron! It always feels nice when you get a decent streak going and things are working out. In the betas I had a 14 game winning streak, which is by far the longest streak I've ever had in a fighting game that wasn't a set against one person. You'll hit that silver sooner rather than later, I'm sure. We should play a few games sometime, I'm always up for a few sets.

Also I'm jealous of your local scene.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Baal posted:

Gee, it's almost like trying to plan a release schedule around tournaments is a stupid loving idea.

This has become stupidly apparent when looking at the state of the game on release. Jesus Capcom.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's assumption. But just look at the bland esportsy gloss on the whole package and suddenly all those assumptions seem more than fair. Capcom is going in hard on the e-sports thing this time around. You didn't buy NBA2K16, you bought A Basketball.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Bland esportsy gloss?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

I feel like online training mode is something that always sound better than it is.

I use training mode exclusively for grinding out combos. On rare occasions set ups.
Having another person online doing that with me serves no purpose.

Everything else I agree with I guess.

3 exists.

Online training mode is amazing for showing something to someone and is a great teaching tool. If you aren't teaching anybody or being taught by anybody, sure, it's useless.

It's also kind of fun for just beating up on your buddy with infinite life.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Servers are back up

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I know I'm just a relative newbie compared to you, but clearly you're wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xLyi1Fx07I&t=184s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Nice, hit nineties movie The Crow starring Necalli. I feel like some of his brighter V-Trigger hair will ruin the moody atmosphere though.

Love Nash, Mika and Rashid's costumes.