Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Booyah- posted:

It doesn't matter how many active players a game has if you are willing to do the incredibly small amount of work in looking up discord servers or steam groups where you can find matches. Playing an extended set is a lot more fun than playing best of 1s one after the other.

Also practically everything worth playing has a replay system (fightcade, xrd, others) so even if you get totally stomped you can go back and analyze what you were doing wrong. The only way you won't learn anything is by throwing your hands up in the air and saying "there's nothing I can do!"

If I wanted to do an incredibly small amount of work, I'd go outside instead of playing video games with nerds!!!

Edit: here's an idea to make playing online less like playing againsy robots that will never happen because pc fgs are still an afterthought: built in irc channels for lobbies "guilds"

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I'll take SF4 over SFV any day.
I haven't played a single match of SFV in the last two months at least but I do still play SF4 several times a week.

Try playing good games, it might help with wanting to play SF4

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Pomp posted:

you could also play venom if you like putting your balls everywhere and hitting them with a stick

Fixed.

I remember Jam being garbage in Rev loketests, is this still the case?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Juri gets new links off counter hits, has a reason to use multiple combo routes due to the charge mechanic and can get actual damage off of anti airs, it's weird.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

anime was right posted:

• doesn't support several basic controllers.
  • Launched without several modes including arcade mode and story mode
  • paid DLC before fixing anything
  • 8 frames of delay
  • installed a loving rootkit
  • desynched netplay
  • takes longer to get into a match than play one
  • decided to punish people who botted for colors even top players had trouble earning
  • didn't punished ragequitters
  • ragequit system punishes people who are ragequit on or people who do stuff like disconnect from psn during training mode
  • characters released later than anticipated
  • stats still dont function at all
  • stage transitions got patched in
  • launched with like 5 grapplers and 2 zoning chars for no loving reason at all
  • allows you to "earn" dlc. takes five times longer than unlocking a league of legends character to do so beyond the first one.
  • capcoms messaging has been absolute garbage
  • all of the fun stuff gets patched out
  • jabs are dumb as gently caress
  • garbage movespeed
  • everything is negative on block
  • blockstun takes decades to complete
  • jab aa is dumb as hell
  • knockdowns don't mean very much

ok did i get everything lol

Having to learn multiple setups for every type of knockdown to not get jabbed out of a loving meaty and the trash netcode killed the game for me. The rootkit and them still insisting on 8 frame input lag is just funny at this point.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Illuminado posted:

Really? I took exactly the opposite away from SFV coming from SF4. Vortexes were only with a few characters, and even then, you had a decent option select with a few characters. There was also a high degree of difficulty in executing most of those vortexes that was easy to mess up and leave you wide open to a DP, Throw on wakeup or Ultra worst case scenario. In SFV, I feel the defender is almost always the underdog, meaty hits abound and are hard to punish, and you'll end up being thrown on wakeup about 1/3 of the time. The other meta there is buffering an arbitrary number of light hits between 1-2 hits and THEN a tick throw. I've come close to eating my controller after the 3rd or 4th cycle of that.

Throws kill pressure outside the corner for most of the cast, and just doing a meaty without getting jabbed requires you to memorize multiple setups and react to the wakeup option used. I mean just look at this poo poo.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Instead of nerfing dps, why doesn't Capcom make oki less garbage?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

General Morden posted:

anytime you kd someone in sf5 it's almost always going to be a 50/50 situation for the person waking up

that's why you get those throw loop situations (because you guessed wrong)

mika (RIP) could make it even more stacked because her options could cover multiple wake up options, especially in the corner

so it's reminiscent of sf4 vortex

Is this different from overhead/low because overheads are generally reactable?

One of the things that put me off this game is that meaties can't be eyeballed because nothing has active frames. Took a look at Juri's meaty setup list and :yikes:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It won't magically make the game good, but vsync off definitelly feels way better.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Pomp posted:

I'd assume it'd reset damage scaling, or you get a set amount of time before they bust out, but it's SFV so who loving knows

This is SFV, if anything it increases damage scaling.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Do you think Nash would vote for Trump or Hillary? Discuss.
It's extremely important to me because that would make or break my whole experience with the game.

anime was right posted:

quote this if you think user jack trades should stop posting itt

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Chev posted:

These days you should not be surprised by a part of SFV being inconsistent. They just didn't put the same effort and care in their character animations (or anything, really) as Arcsys does.

Animations were actually the one thing SFV did really well before Cammy's air throw etc.

(You could argue that the facial animations are poo poo but look at the meshes they had to work with)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Double Bill posted:

I watched Justin stream a bit, he played Flash's Guile and it looked horrible for Guile. Her projectile reflect builds meter and VT and recovers quickly, Guile can't do poo poo except by trying to rush her down.

That's Justin being Justin. Her reflect is slow, doesn't build meter if you have the orb and eats the projectile instead of reflecting it with the orb out.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dias posted:

I feel like her AA game is gonna kill her. For a zoner-type character, her options are kinda unreliable.

Maybe it all goes to poo poo orb-less, but cr. hp, cr. hk and cr. vskill are all very good, if slow, anti airs with the orb. Her dp feels like it takes ages to go active but lp is workable. You can even get out of crossups with slide.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kwilty posted:

All the hate on the new characters, can someone remind me what was wrong with Colin?

Stubby limbs, slow movement, lovely wakeup (aka a SFV character) coupled with mediocre damage and not very reliable oki.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Best part of that cinematic was how it conveniently forgot about Vega, Juri, Fang and Alex.
Just like the developers did.

You're such a whiny bitch it makes hating on SFV feel bad by association.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

He's not wrong though, juri is the only character I want to play and she manages to be absolutely worthless in a game where you don't need much to be useful.

Don't I know it, she was my main when I played.

Dias posted:

I understand being disappointed at SFV and how bare-bones it was at release, I understand not wanting to support that poo poo and hell, I'm not, but any game that lasts long enough racks up ridiculous "on release" DLC price. The biggest sin SFV commited was having NOTHING when it came out and then pumping them numbers up with fighter packs, which just makes it look like the base product wasn't worth it. I'd still have this model than have Arcsys' old "your game is useless now, buy the new revision even if you don't give a gently caress about any of the characters on it because rebalancing is attached to it".

Yeah I've probably spent over 100 bucks just keeping up with Xrd releases which is fine because it's good.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

zelah posted:

Remember that scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie was losing his mind deciding that secret message and then it turned out to be an ovaltine ad? Remember how he felt?

That was me banging my head against Chun Li’s Volume 2 challenge 8.

I spent a good 25 minutes trying to do it. Finally did. 3,000 FM. Three thousand. Son of a b.

Are the rest of the trials this hard? I might want to pick a second character up once Sakura comes out broken. Only played Chun so far this game but I’d like to have some options. I’m at 130k FM, but if it’s going to be insane to get another 70k I’ll just buy some.

Never try the KoF13 trials :v:

There's a couple more that have a trick to them like Karin's 6th trial iirc, but most are trivial. Mashing through all the demonstrations gets you a good wad of fight bucks for the least effort possible.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Reiley posted:

You seriously have to pay more than one hundred dollars to play this game with no bonus costumes and all the characters.

What are you talking about, AE costs like 40 bucks

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I think they outsourced all the ports with ggpo, didn't they?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Goodpart posted:

The problem is that the hitbox tweaks are just to make weird suboptimal poo poo work in combos where they wouldn't have otherwise, not to make the neutral game better/more interesting. They're buffs at such a miniscule scale so as to be nonexistent. Maybe someone will get their hands and feet back but I doubt it.

Why on earth would I wanna do stMP crMK with Ryu (which does less damage and doesn't even cancel into his donkey kick in AE) when I could do stMP crHP (which does more damage, and does)

Like honestly

Because cr.HP whiffs if you're not clipping the opponent's model!

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 16, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FallenGod posted:

I'd apparently forgotten that this series has a link combo system instead of chains, which explains why combos feel so backwards in their difficulty.

Cancel a special into a CA for huge damage? Effortless, you can mash it out. Try to hit confirm one normal into another before doing that special -> CA? Hope you like hitting a ~1/20th of a second window in an online match with latency. :gonk:

In Tekken, bad as I was, I could do easy low execution combos while training my way up to higher damage ones. Here even a basic punish (Ryu LP -> LK -> L Tatsu) has a link into a very short window to cancel off of a light attack. Can't hit the link reliably (or do the tatsu too late and you get blown up)? Guess you just hope that poking the guy with LP will dissuade him from that line of attack.

edit - I think I might literally be too old to play this game.

You don't have to do a link when punishing since you know it's going to hit.

Also, it's the funniest poo poo ever when people go "It's not my fault that I am bad, I'm just *too old* to play this children's video game, that's obviously it!"

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FallenGod posted:

Thanks for a useful response, bizarre attitude aside.

Real talk, don't sweat combos too much if you're enjoying the game otherwise. People do so much dumb stuff that getting used to poking, anti airing and punishing obviously unsafe stuff is going to carry you for a good while. Do Ryu's st. mp st.mp xx fireball or tatsu while waiting for matches and it'll click after a bit of practice, you're probably already doing links for a whole bunch of stuff like jump ins and dash followups in Tekken without knowing it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kongming posted:

Mostly the button feel comment, because I have never felt worse hitting a button in an FG than SFV.

They did a good job on move animations and sounds, Ryu's punches look meaty but the visuals can't mask the mechanics.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't think anyone gives enough of a poo poo to explain why SFV is garbage for the umpteenth time.

UNIST is a real fun, ground-based fg that's pretty begginer friendly, with the most thorough tutorial ever and the discord server is packed enough to find someone to run sets with faster than a SFV matchmaking queue would pop (on steam at least).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The animation for the the most part is extremely good.

interrodactyl posted:

Capcom removed the rootkit they installed on everyone's computer

Not even, they couldn't remove the rootkit with a patch so had to release a seperate tool to be run manually.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Rashid, Kolin, Ed, Abigail, Menat, Zeku and G are really cool and fun

Swap Ed and Abigail for Fang and Laura. Also, put them in a good game.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the people who animated Menat in general def wanted to flex on every other character, same for whoever came up with Zeku doing a kata after every special move. Zeku's whole appearance and theme music is just plain rad.

Dhalsim too, I think every single move of his has mesh deformations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I just bought the champion edition and I spent the first fifteen minutes closing up popup menus. Does it feel easier to play and do combos compared to IV or it's just my imagination?

There's a input buffer for normals in SFV so the tightest a link can be is about 4f iirc. Some special motions also have more leniency.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LeninVS posted:

I tried to get back into this game last night/today

The game runs like dogcrap on my computer.
I have a Nvidia 1080 and i7 8700k. Normally I run every game in 3440x1440 ultra graphics no problem

I get stuttering FPS even on medium graphics.between 30-,60fps
I tried playing with some Nvidia settings, but I couldn't get it to work well.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thinking of just playing another game at this point.

The game ran at 40-50fps in the menus and 20-30fps in-game regardless of the graphics settings until I manually cleaned up leftover registry entries which for some dumb reason fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
As far as I know, Cody doesn't have a proper invincible reversal. V skill 1 is only invincible frame 3 so a properly timed attack will beat it if you're doing it on wakeup. Your best bet for getting out of pressure is using his v reversal on a blocked attack.