Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't played a fighter game more than super casually since Street Fighter II was big in arcades and on SNES. I am very very very bad at these games. If I buy this and lose enough times, can I reasonably expect to eventually find opponents equally as bad? I have a PS4 controller that I use for both my PS4 and my PC. Does one system have an advantage over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Srice posted:

The crossplay really adds to the size of the player pool, so it's your best option for the genre if you want to fight other bads

Ok cool. I picked it up on PC and have been messing around with Zangief. I have a feeling I am going to have to buy an arcade stick soon. Otherwise the analog stick on my controller is going to get beat the gently caress up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Electromax posted:

English voices for all

I can only unlock the easy color for zangief, survival just takes too drat long and I've lost on match 29 twice. Hope I'm not missing anything amazing, purple pants seems pretty good anyway.

Yeah I have tried and failed twice on level 30 for Zangief survival normal. I thought he was the guy that I wanted to learn street fighter with but I am finding even just playing casual matches that anyone with common sense just keeps me at range. I cannot close down on the enemy well enough to inflict enough damage. As the round goes on I get more frustrated and take stupid risks and am quickly punished. Maybe I need to pick a more generic fighter to get some of the basic stuff down with.

edit- Also I am going out to find a Hori Fighting Pad thing. I am pretty sure Hori is Japanese so hopefully a local electronics shop has something because it takes forever to get something sent to Japan from the US.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 27, 2016

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I found a Hori Fighting Commander 4 at a local electronics shop for like 3500 yen(~32USD) and picked it up. Now I have one less excuse to be as bad at this game as I am. I saw the advice on Zangief and appreciate the input. Maybe I will give Chun Li or someone a go as a learning character. I can pull off all of her special moves pretty easily. She just seems to be really fragile when it comes to taking damage. I don't know if different characters take more damage or not but once she starts getting hit, it seems more difficult for me to recovery from than with someone like Zangief.

That probably sounds dumb but I really don't know anything about fighting games. It seems fun enough though and even though I am losing constantly it still feels rewarding to get one or two moves off a match.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It's highly unlikely I would every be matched up with anyone outside of Japan because of my lovely ping back to the US right? I imagine fighting games are pretty sensitive to connection speeds.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Got my first ranked win tonight. It was sandwiched in between several losses but it doesn't matter. I am still very very bad but maybe just slightly less bad? Or lucky that some poor Japanese dude just picked up this game and was like "WTF is a Street Fighter? Lets play this online".

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cams posted:

plz play in battle lobbies against the same opponent as long as you can. you will get so much better so much faster.

-Edit- I am an idiot and didn't know that it was possible to see other people hosting battle lobbies. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 29, 2016

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lynkericious posted:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Fight Stick for a PS4 player on a budget? I'd like to play more SFV, but I keep messing up reactionary inputs on my controller, so I want something that's easier to be precise with.

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting...ght+commander+4

I bought the Japanese version since Amazon takes forever to ship here but they are pretty much the exact same controller. You can rotate the D-Pad like 20 degrees to the right and adjust the diagonal sensitivity with a knob the on back. I put the right side of the controller on my thigh and tap the buttons like you would a stick. It's cheap because there is no blutooth, analog sticks, rumble, or any other features you'd find in a PS4 controller. However the components that are in the controller are really good and it only tries to do one specific thing which is be used for fighting games.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 1, 2016

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff. So when people talk about frames are they talking about how many frames of animation a movement is? Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables? I googled "Fighting games frames" and got some flip book reference but it's not really clicking for me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Foodahn posted:

It's the animation of a particular move. Each move (and thus animation) in the game has 3 parts to it:

1) Startup, the animation of the move before it is able to hit.
When someone says "Necalli has a 3 frame jab" it means that Necalli's jab (LP) has 3 frames of startup animation. (Actually it gets complicated there, but I'll keep this simple)

2) Active, the animation of the move while it is able to hit.
Active frames are basically never referenced by anyone, but generally, the more active frames, the easier it is to perform a meaty attack.

3) Recovery, the animation of the move after it is unable to hit.
Lots of recovery frames are bad, and makes a move easier to whiff punish. With many moves, you can CANCEL the recovery frames by immediately performing a special move. The recovery of a move (in combination with its block-stun or hit-stun) determines if a move is at frame advantage or not. If a move is -3 on block, that means it can be punished by a move with 3 frame startup, or you can do whatever you want for 3 frames because they're still in recovery.

Disable HDCP in settings>system. It should be disabled by default when the game is being played though sooooo

Alright so lots of frames on startup will mean it's easier to dodge and lots of frames on recovery make it easier to punish when you miss. That's about as deep as I think I need to go with that right now. I appreciate the explanation.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am really bad at this game

I am Ryu here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1RCjXwWug

edit- Also I was a teenager when Street Fighter II was big in the arcades and haven't played a fighting game since. This was played after around 10 hours practice with Ryu.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sarchasm posted:

Three quick things:

Stop jumping back. Space is important in Street Fighter, and you're giving Cammy all of it. If you want to take a defensive posture, hold down back. If you need to make space, walk back.

Only do hurricane kick at the end of a combo or to go through a fireball. If it's blocked you're going to eat a lot of damage.

Stop pressing crHK. Your go-to low attack should be crMK canceled into fireball. At the Rookie level it's pretty safe to just do that every single time. Get it in your head to do crMK then the fireball motion, even if you think it's going to be blocked or if the crMK might whiff the opponent entirely. You should never press crMK at the Rookie level without tacking on the fireball motion afterwards.

I don't understand how to cancel an attack into another attack. Are you saying that I should just crouch and press medium kick immediately followed by a fireball?