Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a way to filter Lobbies by connection status?

I will settle for looking at the bars before joining the lobby. I might just be oblivious if this is already there, but normally I have to go in, check the thing on the left, then log out if it's not a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jaragoh posted:

Looking for some help.

I bought a PS3 SF4 TE fightstick from a friend yesterday and SFV is not recognizing any input from it. Windows recognizes it and registers any button presses in setup, and I've tried Joy2Pad and XPadder to program the keys.

DId I just waste my money buying a stick that's not compatible?

Try http://x360ce.com/

Grab the 64 bit version specifically for Street Fighter V.

- Plug in your stick.
- Open the program. Create whatever files it needs to create.
- Setup buttons one by one.

OR

If you want to setup buttons from the net.
- Click "Controller Settings"
- Click the middle tab underneath, "Most popular settings for my controllers"
- Double click one of those to load them. Check if the inputs are correct. If not, pick a different profile.

- Once you're happy with your button setup, hit save. You should now have two new files, xinput1_3.dll and x360ce.ini. Copy and paste these into the game launcher directory, in this case being :
__(folder where game is stored)__\steamapps\common\StreetFighterV\Binaries\Win64

The correct directory is the one with StreetFighterV.exe

That's it! It looks long but this process is pretty fast.

EDIT: Turns out the site is down I think, but the Github should do just fine: https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9WWmlBNQQ

This is a video of me being bad at videogames for about five matches.

Advice on how not to be bad at videogames would be appreciated greatly. I might do more if people are actually interested. (And actually fix my volume so you can hear me chatting about what I'm thinking while I play)

The big thing to note. The super comes out by accident almost every time.

I'm not specifically a Laura player so I'm unaware of her nuances, combos and blockstrings but here's what I saw.

In General
Learn a hitconfirm and blockstring combo from the same start. Even something simple like "Oh he blocked the low MK so I just do the motion but don't press the button for the special" could work. If hits, you press the button. You don't want to end combos that are blocked with unsafe moves.
Don't charge fireball so much, especially in neutral. Actually don't throw so many unsafe fireballs in general.
If you want to fireball, use it to control space. Opponents got a lot of free hits from seemingly random fireballs.
More tick throws. Don't think you used any that I recall, all were either after a clean elbow hit or from hitting into super.
You seem to almost always be approaching, unless you're blocking, which makes your approach very one dimensional.
I think you used quick get up 100% too. Vary your get ups a bit. Also, if you mash when you get up, you will get stuffed by meaties, which you can see in a lot of the games.
Block more.
Does she have a good V-Reversal? You might want to consider using it more often.

Vs Dhalsim
Don't fireball. He can slide/limb to hit you (second round) or teleport behind it (third round).
He also punishes you a lot for not blocking on wakeup.

Vs Karin
More fireballs, since she can only approach from the front. Don't toss them from poking range though, and release them quick.

Vs Ryu
Good job on the very clean anti-air. Does she have an anti-air normal for a jump in range that's closer/more awkward to handle?
Neutral jump more against fireballs, especially ones you jump late. You have 99 seconds to win, no rush.
10:58 you jumped in and attacked which was going to 100% whiff then got hit by an overhead. You might want to consider, at that range after landing, another jump forward (hard to AA besides neutral jump attack) or a neutral jump.
11:06 here you punish and then combo into grapple but you switch sides putting yourself in the corner. Notice how your immediate next move is to jump out of the corner. Your opponent didn't take advantage of that but a better player will.

Vs Bison
You got a Stun in the last round. Try to get into the habit of starting Stun combos with a jump in, just for that extra bit of damage.
Pressuring him a lot is correct, as Bison's weakest when trying to get people off him.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Cr. MK xx LP. Elbow is -2 on block so it's safe. Crucially it's just as safe as a pure Cr. MK which is also -2. I buffer the input so theoretically LP Elbow should come out every time. But Laura doesn't really have any hitconfirms that I've found to be effective. Theoretically LK, LK xx LP Elbow is a hitconfirm but I've never been able to do it reliably.

Ah, I see. Well, even if they are both -2 on block, they also effect your positioning, as the elbow moves you forward and the crMK doesn't. It's something to consider, especially against characters that want to be next to you. Any of them could try to throw you right after the elbow, but not necesarily after the cMK.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've never really played fireball characters in any game and so I'm trying to force out a jump to AA, but have no idea of what actually to do with the fireballs to make this happen.

Well, her fireball is sloooooow, so it's a "no-go" zone for the opponent. You want to stand in or around it to make it difficult for the opponent to approach, or plant it on top of them to force them to block and you can get in.

That said, I'm not sure how good (bad?) her fireballs are. It might be so bad that they're not worth considering.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This I don't get, every time I play Karin and fireball she just uses the dive attack on reaction and hits me. I literally said to myself "Don't fireball" ahead of the match because of this.

Actually, I said that without considering Laura's fireballs, which has a very slow, very obvious startup and now I can indeed see people just punishing you for it on reaction. I was thinking in terms of after a knockdown, you set it up quickly and then hang around "in" the fireball to stop her from approaching you so easily, especially since her normals are pretty good.

So...probably disregard the Karin more fireballs thing, which now sounds like a bad idea. Sorry!

PS - I forgot to mention, your mic is way too soft. I have no idea what you said throughout most of it.
PPS - Use more light attacks, I don't recall you using much of them. They're also good to set up tick throws.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bison I think is this game's equivalent of Spencer - really strong in the early lifespan but will settle into upper mid by the end.

Best thing to do against Bison is block, he doesn't have a lot of tools to open people up. If you fight against one and get the initiative stay in his face, his defensive options aren't too good either. He will have to block.

He's pretty easy to pick up though, and his damage his solid, and most importantly his walk forward animation is bawse.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jmcrofts posted:

Doing a different kind of video today - I downloaded a Daigo replay and did kind of a play-by-play to break down what's going on. Pls let me know if you think it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjRfo85agE

Fun video! I always like these things and would love more match analysis videos, but that's just me.

I just want to say, when Daigo has conditioned the opponent to jump in for free, at 8:09 he goes for a sHK anti-air but misses, but you didn't comment on that. I think it's a moment that shows Daigo's full intentions - he is going to punish all anti-airs that he can from that moment on, he just whiffed that one. The Chun doesn't realise and jumps in again, getting hit by another deep SRK, and this time the Chun stays grounded...for a short while.

This sort of punish you see a lot in tense matches where a player is conditioned to do something. You hit someone with something unexpected once, and chances are, in the next few moments, it doesn't quite register and you can go for it again. The Chun even gets hit by another anti-air soon after because going in by ground wasn't working and rushed instead. If a mixup works once, chances are it will work twice before someone notices. However, most people tend to remember these between matches/rounds..

Other things that could have been mentioned:
- The first V-Trigger for Chun I thought was a good mixup. When Chun activates most people right now are conditioned into "Okay, Chun's turn" and this Chun does an immediate throw. If a throw is all you need to win a match, this might be an option to consider.
- The first wake up Shoryuken conditions the Chun to hang back a bit after wakeup. The Chun rushed in after almost all knockdowns but the next two knockdowns the Chun decides to hang back immediately - and Daigo recognises this and never does another wake up Shoryuken.
- The Chun seems to panic when their back is to the corner - jump forwards or back throws ASAP. Compare that to Daigo, who, especially in round 2, seemed to relish the corner and used it to his advantage to try and bait the Chun into doing something stupid.

I'm sure there are other things that could be said too, but these I feel are worth mentioning from that particular match.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I met a Zangief who ragequit (GZ-Tsai) as he only had one win to his current streak.

I met him on and off over the next hour, and he still only had one win and quit on loss every time. Poor guy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I welcome the 2/3 Ranked. I've been favouriting people who seem to know more of the game than I do then inviting them to battle lobbies after a match, win or lose. Fun times.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I haven't put too much work into the game, but I'm stuck around the entry point of Silver rank right now.

When I'm under Silver - keep fighting Bronze and below players, the ones that haven't quite picked up the game.
When I'm at Silver - Keep fighting Gold players, the ones that have studied the game quite a bit more than me, which shows in their combo choice and tech.
Fight no Silvers.

I feel so alone.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

haven't played sfv in like two months but i just saw the balrog reveal trailer and my god the theme music is amazing

the choir!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dias posted:

She's an anime-rear end character in a Balrog meta.

Yo what is this about a Balrog meta? Is he good? Haven't played in a year or so

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have to admit, new Seth looks really cool.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm on board the Seth train SHOW ME EVERYTHING ORA ORA ORA

Seriously Seth is fun. Probably not quite top level, but I think a decent upper-mid/low-high guy. V Trigger 1 combos are fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seth is great fun and I highly recommend saying SHOW ME EVERYTHING over and over again in fact just ham it up and quote them all day