Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Night Blade posted:

Are Bayonetta GIFs allowed?

No.

Edit: drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jmcrofts posted:

Chun's sweep wasn't her BEST poke in 4 (she had about 3 or 4 best pokes), but it's definitely a bad poke now.

Yeah, I've lost a lot of matches by just falling back into SF4 habits and throwing out a sweep at a bad time.

It's safe at absolute max range on some of the cast, but it's such a fiddly distance that it's probably not viable for real matches. Being in VTrigger gives it better pushback and helps a little with this, but it's still pretty risky.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Fereydun posted:

nobody really wants to accept that the game sucks because if it does they have to be forced to this poo poo for another 10 years + it still has new game shine making it fun
if everyone says the game sucks and it tanks then its another dark age bc capcom is eternally seeking to get out of the fg business

I love these posts.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Nah man that's Kazunoko, I'm talking about this other guy.

(the joke is that James Chen is really bad at Japanese people's names/nicks and constantly mispronounces Kazunoko as "Kazunoku")

My favorite is "Daigo Umahara."

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Goodpart posted:

I would take SFXT Chun SF4 Chun 3S Chun and ST Chun any day over SF5 Chun

Chun is terrible in SF4. She's a footsie character in a game where every character has a focus attack to blow up footsies. She needs a bar of meter just to challenge the focus attack. She also needs a bar of meter to do a reversal in a game where setplay is so strong we had to coin the word "vortex" just to talk about it. She also needs that meter to do any respectable damage either with Super or by comboing into U2 from EX Legs. Even if you removed focus attacks from SF4--which would make her considerably stronger--Chun would still be constantly meter poor and without any decent setplay options of her own. SF5 Chun is a goddamn Terminator by comparison.

The other Chuns might still be stronger though. No idea what's up with SFxT Chun because I didn't play that game.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

That Gief is twice as stupid as that Ken.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

We got the worst of all possible Lauras.

Except the hair. The hair stays.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

:siren:CHECK YOUR loving PORTS, ASSHOLES:siren:

I've been struggling in the Super Bronze ghetto for the past week, winning thirty points here and there only to lose sixty the next match to teleporting Karin, and I was on the verge of just writing off online play entirely. After being matched up with the same Magical Disappearing Mika for the third time in a row I checked my TCP/IP settings and found out that they'd somehow been switched to dynamic IP. After fixing the problem I rocketed out of Super Bronze within the hour with a five or six game winstreak and I'm not even done for the night.

Anti-airs are a lot easier when characters don't go from grounded to the apex of their jump in one frame.

Links:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/Capcom.htm
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Ports have nothing to do with the latency of a connection (outside of the differences between TCP/UDP) and everything to do with whether you can actually make the connection in the first place. If you started getting less laggy matches once you opened your ports, it's either confirmation bias or something hilariously wrong with their implementation.

I think it was a NAT issue, honestly, and the only people I was getting matched with were oddball connections with low ping but high packet loss. Being in the same general pool as everyone else gives me access to more players, some of whom still teleport, but most of which are now playable.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Agoat posted:

If you're on PC just alt tab and flip the lag back on them. If Bison can reflect fireballs then I can reflect lag. :colbert:

That trick never worked for me. I'll be curious to try it out now that my connection is sorted.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Even though my last post was dismissive, you should probably open those ports if you do any gaming on Steam on PC.

Your every post in this thread is dismissive, I think people are just used to it by now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

cams posted:

lost to alex meyers first match at wnf, i get snakeeyz second round cause he lost to afrocole.

~~socal~~

Man, if you have to go 0-2, that's the way to do it. Were either of your matches on stream?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Smash players at my local scene are the loudest and most obnoxious assholes you can imagine, but it's worth having them around because I love watching the wait staff give them the fuckin' stinkeye every five minutes. Makes my heart sing every single time.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Is the local scene still around in Fayettenam? I haven't gone there in years. Someone told me it petered out.

No idea, I moved to Seattle last year because Fayetteville is a crime-infested shithole and I hated it.

Greensborough and Raleigh are cool places though. Good memories there. Glad I was around for at least one Fall Classic.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

interrodactyl posted:

much like how there are no tiers, there is no such thing as "lag"

Fighting games are a mythical genre that no one has ever seen or played. Though they are written about in some historical documents, the church considers these sources apocryphal.

Any tips for a Chun player versus Sim? I don't think it's a bad match, necessarily, but I think maybe I'm approaching it wrong. Versus Sim at mid-range my best idea is to make him respond to LP Kikoken, either by sliding (which I will try to block or whiff punish) or teleporting (which I will jab and then dash in during the air recovery), but this feels a little one-dimensional and I think maybe there's something I'm missing.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone want to play and help me pick a character? I feel like I'm not doing Bison any justice.

I have a little time. Are you on Steam or PS4? Send me a fight request, my CFID is srchsm.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone want to play and help me pick a character? I feel like I'm not doing Bison any justice.

You're not bad at all. Just try to work in Bison's HK/throw mixup game into your footsies game, and don't be afraid to dash in after a couple successful counterpokes.

Sorry I can't play longer!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

This could be the start of something special.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I'm going to be really pedantic here and I apologize.

Selling less than SF4 and selling below expectations are two different things. We don't know what Capcom's expectations were for the game, and digital sales will definitely eat into any perceived lack that may seem evident from those numbers.

Besides which, there are lots of games on that list with numbers below SF5 that still went on to have multiple revisions and an active player base for years after release.

SFV might not set blockbuster sales numbers, but Season 2 DLC is still the safest safe bet you can make. Vegas wouldn't even bother with those odds.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Mr. Kerstbal posted:

The matchmaking in this game loving sucks rear end!!!!

I don't necessarily disagree, but what's your problem specifically?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

Starting a new tutorial series about the fundamentals of footsies. Here's part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDbFJn2i_w

The next time one of my non-fightgame friends asks me what footsies is, I'm going to link them this video.

You're doing some drat good work over there.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Yes.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Evil Canadian posted:

Putting a lot of your personal time into something you don't like is pretty insane.

Excuse me, I don't think you were listening.

Goodpart posted:

It's a flagship game with lots of competition

Flagship. Flagship!

Play the games you like you fuckin' nerds. Maybe you'll complain a little less in the bargain.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I think it's weirder to post a screenshot of my steam profile because I posted a joke vid in reply to a post designed to elicit such a response.

Your name starts with a B, and I sort my friends list alphabetically. You're always up there on top playing SFV and complaining about it. It struck me as funny, is all, I wasn't actually trying to joust with you.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bhsman posted:

Juri's design is great, Viper's has a dumb boob window and they make her wear Combat High Heels(tm).

Viper looks like she fell out of an SNK game and I'm cool with that.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

With Chun how should I be punishing jump ins? I use st.lk which is pretty good for defense but does so little damage and I can't really take advantage of it. So a jump in is a low risk/high reward if I don't get the anti air out in time

Did they catch you off-guard or is it a very deep crossup? LK, dash in for a throw/cross under mixup.

Were you ready for the jump and they're attempting an ambiguous crossup? bHK, dash in for a throw/cross under mixup.

Are they really far out and want to tag you with a far-reaching button? bHP, buffer HK Legs or Super in case it's a Crush Counter.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there anything cheeky I can do after ending chun's bnb with legs? LK is +3 on hit, HK is +1, so I'd still have initiative but I think the pushback probably rules out a lot of stuff

jHK, crHP xx LK Legs, crLP xx LK SBK

That's your max damage punish combo. Use it on dizzied opponents or grapplers after neutral jumping out of their SPD.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Brosnan posted:

hitbox users are the kind of people who get anxious about the prospect of a party anyway.

I can confirm this.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Monaghan posted:

Well two weeks in and I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit. Cammy is fun though her v-skill is lame.

Although does anybody else find that it still takes a while to find an opponent or is it just me?

No, it's pretty slow for me, too. About a three minute wait between matches.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

I'm pretty sure that Survival mode is designed to make you hate it so much you buy the colors off the ingame store with real moneys instead, so that they can say it's technically totally free while pushing you to spend more money on the game

ding ding ding

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am really bad at this game

I am Ryu here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1RCjXwWug

edit- Also I was a teenager when Street Fighter II was big in the arcades and haven't played a fighting game since. This was played after around 10 hours practice with Ryu.

Three quick things:

Stop jumping back. Space is important in Street Fighter, and you're giving Cammy all of it. If you want to take a defensive posture, hold down back. If you need to make space, walk back.

Only do hurricane kick at the end of a combo or to go through a fireball. If it's blocked you're going to eat a lot of damage.

Stop pressing crHK. Your go-to low attack should be crMK canceled into fireball. At the Rookie level it's pretty safe to just do that every single time. Get it in your head to do crMK then the fireball motion, even if you think it's going to be blocked or if the crMK might whiff the opponent entirely. You should never press crMK at the Rookie level without tacking on the fireball motion afterwards.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I don't understand how to cancel an attack into another attack. Are you saying that I should just crouch and press medium kick immediately followed by a fireball?

Yes. Try it in training mode. Set the dummy to guard after the first attack and practice crMK into fireball. If you do it correctly it should be a two hit combo. If you do it incorrectly the dummy will block the fireball. You can find a lot of online Youtube resources to help you with the execution side of things if you have any trouble.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Lessail posted:

man of steel is good tho :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4u-HLm8maE&t=1396s

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't know what it is about Cammy but she can get me (as Ryu) into this unstoppable loop of chain kicks and I don't really know how to stop it from happening.

Try your V Reversal. Press forward plus all three punch buttons at the same time while blocking. It uses one stock of your V Gauge.

You could also just shouryuken but that's really risky and dumb even if it is objectively the coolest response. Use the MP version because it has the most invincibility.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Is there any reason not to buffer 23232323 when waiting for a jump in with ryu? My reaction srk ability is dog crap but i nail them every time when im waggling the stick in advance and the opponent thinks im crouch blocking

Characters with decent pokes (Chun especially) are going to destroy you just by pressing buttons from their jump-in range.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

I wish i could beat people higher ranked than me in ranked like i do in casual all the time.

Not to rain on your parade, but those people are probably learning new characters and aren't using their main.

Also, this thread is a fuckin' garbage fire. Good job, idiots.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

General Morden posted:

but you're also contributing to the garbage fire with posts like these though

Why should everyone else have all the fun?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

General Morden posted:

i mean if you're going to complain about the thread being poo poo and then actively contributing to it being poo poo then you probably shouldn't be complaining

I just want to see this thread turn into a compelling and competitive experience one day.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Brosnan posted:

Gotta avoid all that confusion that comes when I talk to my Japanese friends about Street Fighter which definitely happens all the time.

Same, but without the sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Timely Howard posted:

make em street fighter themed or some poo poo

Um.

You didn't happen to pick up a monkey paw on this business trip, did you?