Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
synonyms: imprison, put in prison, send to prison, incarcerate, lock up, put away, intern, detain, hold (prisoner/captive), put into detention, put behind bars, put inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

XOIC of Radishes posted:

As a fighting game n00b, I read Gootecks' new book, starting to use the training manual that came with it, watched his 3-part beginner tutorial and 3-part Xavier Woods SFV basics, and currently reading Patrick Millers' old book.

I can't wait to play the game, be terrible at it, but at least have some starting foundation to know why I'm sucking.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/prologue

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

the Gaffe posted:

I love no chip death. It's made for the most exciting moments.
lol at this sentiment

the possibility of dying from chip forces people to make snap decisions. having offensive options and capabilities limited while giving the defensive player a buff is anything but exciting. it makes any comeback less exciting.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

here's a better source than jmcrofts on footsies

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=691

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

edit: nm

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

did they patch the pc version to work with the official branded controllers yet

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Potemkin was really really good in Guilty Gear XX AC, but I don't remember if he was actually top tier or not

a buster was like 50% against most of the cast with a quarter bar midscreen and he could do the slidehead/giganter loop thing... i dont know if he was top but he was a god for sure.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Do you not see how weird it is that I'm required to sign out to play this game with someone sitting next to me without fear that some server fuckup will boot us out of our match

whatever grandpa go play on sega genesis if you dont like your games to require an internet connection

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

How long can we possibly keep up this charade that people who enjoy this game are faking it?

wait, do people that stand to gain nothing from playing this game (like cred, money, etc) actually enjoy it?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Hmmm no one seems to be able to punish anything because the hitboxes are stubby

I've got it! Just make the hurtboxes even bigger!

people are actually playing this game. lmao

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

E: while I'm at it

comparing SF5 to SFA3 and SF4, as a defense of SF5. flipping the script

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh right, I forgot SF5 sucks, and so does 4 and 3 and alpha.

drat its almost like sf5 being this way shouldn't have been a surprise. i mean, it sure caught ME by surprise

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

cams posted:

yeah it's almost like you guys spent 10 months saying how lovely the game looked and then the game came out and you're still posting about how lovely it is.

i'm personally glad you guys are around just constantly posting about how lovely the game is, otherwise people who are playing the game might get the wrong idea.

drat they had 10 months to fix this game but actually instead made it worse in that time. lmao...

if a game series that hasnt had a good entry for the last 2 decades isnt worthy of ridicule then what is?

plus i only got like 15 posts in this 60 page thread so chill. if these monster posts actually zing that hard you need a break from computer.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. Sorry you just want to angrypost about a game you hate. Seems like a lot of effort.

I look forward to your next edgy post about how you really don't care.
na im not really doing anything else its not too much effort, please don't worry about me. I wouldn't say that I don't really care.. I do care about fighting games in general, which is why I continue to follow this thread and game. the online infrastructure and pc support are two issues in this game that stand to influence future fighting games, because SF has long been a title that sets standards for the genre. so things like directinput support and dealing with ragequitters in ranked matchmaking are important issues that I like to keep up with. believe it or not, there may be more to discussing in the sf series beyond simple questions like "is the game good? do you like the game?"

Srice posted:

If you think that a game series has been complete garbage for that long then why would you even bother past a certain point, outside of some weird brokebrains obsession

In addition to what I posted above, SF is a series that I have played on and off for a very long time, both casually and competitively, and I look forward to seeing how different aspects of the game develop. Sometimes, discussion on its development may involve insights into how bad the game is, because the last two decades of street fighter are dotted with terrible entries. For years now, discussion on the SF series has always had at least a partial focus on the depressing decline of the series. Even when it was the Capcom Japan developed games like SSF2, to Alpha and SFIII, a good deal of discussion was centered around how bad the games were. And now that the torch has been passed to the people behind the DBZ and Naruto fighting games, Dimps, with SF4 and SF5, the inevitable conclusion is that a healthy amount of discussion will surround how awful the series has become. This is tradition and I'm just keeping the fire burning.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

zand really is putting too much effort into explaining in a reasonable manner his complaints and motivations to people who dont care or understand. just shitpost my dude
you're probably right but the one guy asked me a question and the other one said he looked forward to my next post... id never let a fan down.

teagone posted:

Which is why you and a few others are discussing things that go beyond "this game is poo poo, look at this garbage here's a video or image with no text showing my disdain" right? Lmao.

cams posted:

thank you.
you're welcome

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If you love this game so much I figure you could make an actual argument instead of just being disingenuous as gently caress, quoting people who aren't me, and just straight making poo poo up.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

darealkooky posted:

I never really understood this excuse for why sf3 didn't take off because sure arcades were toast in america but like, they weren't in asia right? What was stopping capcom from just thinking americans don't like street fighter anymore and releasing capcom fighting jam or w/e as japan only

sf3 died in asia because that game loving sucks. it didnt get popular until the series was over and dead for years.

edit: to extrapolate on this, nobody would pay a quarter to play these games and CPS3 boards cost a lot of quarters

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 5, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

darealkooky posted:

why are there still tourneys for it then, do they see it under the same ironic mindset they do hokuto no ken

"still" lol. in 2i (second impact) they have, i guess what you would call ironic tournies for. it took 3s years to gain popularity after its initial release. people still play and enjoy 3s somehow. these people are known as third strike mystics because they have unlocked the secret code to having fun in that lovely game.

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 5, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

things I have learned reading this thread: every fighting game is bad, and dumb

almost all of them are really unbelievably bad, and most of the bad ones are also dumb. a lot of the good ones are dumb too. SF5 is somewhere slightly outside of bad but clearly far away from good but definitely dumb. as another example, sf3:3s is dumb and bad, while a game like marvel 2 is dumb and good. I've played a majority of arcade fighters released for CPS1,2 and 3 and Neo-Geo extensively and finding a decent game is very, very hard.

Jmcrofts posted:

SF3 followed literally the exact same arc as SF4 - called garbage by everyone for its entire life, but then when the next game comes out, looked back upon wistfully as The Good Old Days.

are people really doing this though? I don't know many people who would call 3s a good game. maybe they would call it a fun game to dick around in or a familiar game that they played with others, but even in Austin a lot of people that played it played it begrudgingly. and do people really look back fondly on SF4? its really awful.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What's your favorite fighting game from the last decade?

if HNK counts, it came out on the PS2 in 2007, I probably had more fun in HNK than most other fg. as a close second/tie, GGAC was alright, but way worse than reload. that was 2006. Since I had been playing since X, to XX, #R, and slash, AC was a nice change of pace so I learned to like it at the time. I didn't really get into AC+R but I've heard it doesn't have the same awful poo poo that regular AC had in it. GGXRD is neat and kinda fun but it suffers from things that exist to increase accessibility as do most new competitive games, and I think it basically sucks even though when you put it next to a game like SF5 it looks impeccable. I mostly play old games on Fightcade because they are more fun to me than the stuff made by Dimps or a lot of the anime fighters.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm sure everyone would agree with me that the best fighting game of all time is Melty Blood Actress Again. It's very playable, and good.

how come you don't play me in MBAACC then?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Big Scary Owl posted:

Zand what would your dream fighting game be like? Or does it already exist? Serious question.

edit: I guess you already answered it kinda, it's HNK right?

na I like hnk but I don't think its like my dream fg. hnk would be a lot cooler without bball infis honestly. hnk style boost has been implemented in other fgs in ways I'm not really a big fan of, like in arcana heart series. i like 1 button instant throws with big range and no special whiff animations with 1-2f tech windows max. assists tend to be really fun, and so are 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 style games like ngbc/marvel/kofxi. i tend to like games with extreme offensive options but not always games that have extreme offense that results in what people are now calling "setplay" or "vortices." and i like combos but mostly games where combos must be dynamically changed for things like meter management/spacing/what you wanna do after the combo like in guilty gear. I also tend to like games where things like tough links for combos are visually understandable, like being able to see a character falling/bouncing/flying and time your hit accordingly like in xmenvsf or the gg series. a game having a combo focus like a lot of anime fighters isnt that interesting to me though since I'm probably not going to dedicate a lot of time to whatever the newest lovely anime fg is.

like I couldn't really craft a dream fighter because the mechanics i like in older games have to be taken in the context of those games. like assist implementations in fgs tend to be extremely bad or extremely fun, like it was awful in sengoku basara x but cool in nitroplus. if I put all my favorite mechanics in one fg it would probably be a horrible mess like the poo poo on mugen. different fgs fit different purposes for me also. like I don't even play mvc2 seriously and I'm bad at it, but really it's the most easy to pick up and play and have a good time with friends fg I've ever encountered. and I think ST is incredibly stressful and obnoxious to play depending on what character you're fighting (like if its sim, or claw, or boxer, or anyone with grab loops) but its also very fun in an arcade setting with many players. sometimes I just like to play marvel super heroes and do wolverine infinites on people. My dream game is basically just playing on fightcade, every game, a lot, and ive been doing that for a while. Unfortunately a lot of old games have mechanics that might seem cool at first but when they get explored the games just tend to be broken trash. even then, fightcade is probably the best game out right now

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Golem II posted:

I try practicing but the computer doesn't play like people do.

practice in ranked matchmaking. the matchmaker will automatically pair you with opponents on your skill level so you can practice fine using it.

Srice posted:

As someone who only got into the genre relatively recently I wanna know

Did people act like Street Fighter IV would erase literally all other fighting games forever back when it came out, as well?

yes, and also it did in effect do this. every other scene for every other game had its energy and playerbase siphoned up by people moving to sf4 because they felt they had to play the new sf game (not because they liked it) and because everyone was playing it etc

Zand fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 6, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fellblade posted:

No but don't you see, the game is fun, it's just not good ~ literally a thing posted in this thread.

yeah, I posted that. what don't you get about this statement? have you never played fgs before this or something? direct competition between two players is inherently fun, at least for me. if the engine is snappy, responsive, and nuanced, it can be even more fun. but this same game could have glitches, balance issues, or design decisions that preclude it from ever coming close to being "good"

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

For fucks sake, even with the capcops putting everyone on notice I still can't loving get past every third match being a rage quitter in ranked.

they only put the people that read the capcom unity blogposts on notice didnt they? and they also made sure to tell them the threshold for being punished so they know how much they can do it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sfv%20costume&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Pomp posted:

i am consistently amazed at how fast a playable match can turn into a stuttering poo poo fest
Can you still alt-tab to desynch the game?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What do you guys think the player base is going to be like? I know that sales weren't outstanding but do you think the different additions will pick things back up? Do we know how the active population compares to its competitors? I've still got so much to learn and I don't want all the other casuals to abandon the game too early.

this is the most popular current fg by a mile and its going to be the standard for fgs for a long time. the only other fg that will be this popular online is tekken and even then its not going to be as strong number-wise as sfv.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Baal posted:

Yeah, I mean how could SF hope to beat Naruto

they even got the devs behind the naruto games to make sfv and still can't compete

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

sony paid a lot of it so capcom probably can't lose

they are publicly traded and promised 2 mil sales by the end of this quarter

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

cams posted:

those numbers are only for the us and do not include pc copies sold this thread is so dumb

I'm sure the pc version sold 1.8 million copies

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

cams posted:

no but the us is not the only country on earth the goal was 2 million by the end of march... like, they might have come under, but you guys just wanna do your little thing. it's real weird.

na its more weird that you're insisting this game sold well despite powerful evidence against that

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Booyah- posted:

What are successful numbers for a fighting game that's not Smash?
numbers that are so big that your game causes the sega genesis controller to be remade to have 6 buttons instead of 3 and released in a bundle with the system

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdQ7Xx4Q34 fixed your url

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

i mean that's why you learn how to read framedata

i dont think he was arguing with anyone o_O

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

apple posted:

Rollback by design requires you to set a delay parameter by which both players operate on as a minimum. Skullgirls lets you change this setting: the shittier your connection the higher the delay setting. It's not rocket science but it automatically suggests a delay setting for you anyway so you don't need to think about it outside of fine-tuning a connection between 2 people.

Capcom has a fixed delay setting which is either arrogant to think their netcode wouldn't need it or just ignorant.

or its that japanese devs make games for playing in japan. variable delay is not so important when you're playing another person on the other end of your tiny island country. its like how in dark souls there were 2 region settings: japan, and then the entire rest of the world. japanese game devs are consistently atrocious.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It has to be really low if UK to UK matches get bursts of random rollback. Or maybe it just sucks because those bursts happen to anyone within EU.

I've been seeing a lot more complaining on social media about it recently. I think people are getting anxious that what we have might be what we're going to be stuck with.

I would be shocked if there are any actual infrastructure upgrades or engine updates to SFV to fix any of the glaring issues. capcom doesn't even acknowledge most of the problems with their game in the first place and there are a mountain of issues plaguing it: the poor handling of ragequits, the lack of directinput support which includes their official branded controller series, the alt-tab bug, the input delay, the constantly broken CFN servers, bad rollback implementation.... and the list could go on and on really. there's niggling problems like training mode settings not being saved, or story mode (some people actually care about this??), or even just lack of arcade mode, or even just bad gameplay like a survival mode that is a complete unfun chore for 49 battles in a row, oh and stage lag too. Maybe when they add alex into this mishmash of problems the game will be better

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, I hope the community continues to hold their feet to the fire on these issues, but most of us have already paid in and I'm not sure that Capcom/Sony have any real motivation to fix it.

when they have so many people that are willing to pay to beta test, there really is very little reason for capcom to ever release a finished, fixed product. the release of sf5 in this state is like the conclusion of all the worst problems with paid early access and poo poo like "pre-order bonuses" that get people to buy a brand instead of a product

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dracula Factory posted:

One of the reasons I bought MKX (for PC) was that I wanted a fighting game developed by Americans so they could actually communicate and design effectively for the western market. NRS did that initially and I was hopeful, but they went and completely dropped any supports or updates for the PC version, so they can go gently caress themselves, I basically wasted $65 and a bunch of time playing a completely irrelevant game. I hope Capcom's shittiness so far is due to having to rush the release, and maybe they'll get their poo poo together in the future. I mean they had really big goals for this game so it seems so odd to have such a painful lack of polish on it. If Capcom abandons this game on PC too I'm probably just going to be done with FG's forever, it just seems like nobody working in this genre has any professionalism and it's starting to grate on me.
NRS outsourced their port tho

and is there any actual indication that capcom rushed the release outside of speculation? they had paid beta testers for 8 months before it came out, starting with a playable prototype before beta 1 that they thought was good enough to show people. capcom just let bugs and problems with beta 1 ride all the way until release. and the big goals they set for the game are now just representative of how big a failure this game is in the eyes of their shareholders... and the jp fiscal year is ending in 2 weeks. given that they can't fix the game in time to save face within a time frame that matters, it doesn't make sense for them to continue to dump money into it when they could use resources on something that makes them money (monster hunter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Double Bill posted:

I don't really see what else other than a do-or-die business deadline could explain the decision to release with so much missing content.

the thing I think explains it is that Capcom is terrible. they made a bad game, and they have been making bad street fighter games for nearly 2 decades. they kicked off the death of SF with SF3 then punctuated the decline of the genre with capcom fighting evolution. they have been consistently terrible for years and years outside of the SF series as well. assuming they were rushed and this is the only possible explanation would be ignoring that they are actually just awful and have a history of being this way

edit: just saw your edit. yeah basically that