Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Almost everything in the OP is a lie fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

F2B posted:

Yeah. It's not a losing strategy. It's just not one I'm too fond of. Mistake-based victories imposed or otherwise seem to me like technical victories rather than real ones. That's all.
What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
It never counts because the only reason a turtling player wins is because the other guy wasn't good enough to do anything about it.

Everyone just get good please.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Foodahn posted:

https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/701947647398023168

SFV server maintenance extended "indefinitely"
Thanks for playing the Street Fighter 5 Open Beta!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. It was only putting me up against others from Australia, so there's probably something up with my Internet that's not making it friendly to overseas players.
If you live in Australia you have no business playing anyone from any region other than Oceania because our internet is hosed and you will have no fun at all

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
no it's terrible and you shouldn't do that ever and you'll learn loving nothing what is wrong with you

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Help Im Alive posted:

Where does Dee Jay's allegiance lie in the Illuminati/Shadaloo war
da riddim mon

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sade posted:

X is fun and has nice-feeling buttons. X has a tool for nearly any situation
This describes no character in the game

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sade posted:

It describes Chun-Li, in this game. Gomen nasai!!!!
I would take SFXT Chun SF4 Chun 3S Chun and ST Chun any day over SF5 Chun

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

The Gorp posted:

You cant croutchtech in this game, you need to be standing up (blocking high) to tech throws.
This post is 100% wrong

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I can't beat Karin :(
Elaborate?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I play birdie. I poke her for a bit, she gets in, puts me in the corner and then, unless I'm all peppered up, I'm usually done for. Guess I've got ex bull horn to get out of pressure w/o pepper but ex charge plus tech is like four fingers and I'm bad.

This, I guess. I just spend all my time blocking, trying to figure out when it's my turn.
Nothing she does is safe. The only one you may have issues with is her LK upkicks, which are -5, but can be spaced.

If she tries any mixups at all, do a late crouch jab after blocking the initial hit. Best part for you is that you can confirm to a combo from that.

You're right to play footsies with her because your buttons are better than hers, but make sure that when she has no meter you're pushing offense. She can't hit you with anything on wakeup unless she has meter. Find a safejump and use it liberally.

Karin fuckin sucks.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
It's a flagship game with lots of competition so even people that hate the game are playing the game with the intention of wanting to get good at it.

Take me, for instance.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
literally everyone who was really good at sf4 loved sf4 right

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Pomp posted:

if we didn't play games we thought were bad nobody would play sf4

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

AnonSpore posted:

Are you all seriously surprised that Bebop it's playing a game he thinks is poo poo while uploading tech for it like mad, he does this with like every game including Yatagarasu and MKX
I have MKX and Injustice on my rap sheet; I make no apologies for myself

Golem II posted:

The people in this thread are horrible
at fighting games? definitely

Beautiful Ninja posted:

He respects that someone in the FGC has enough money to use an ATM.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
e: nvm

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 1, 2016

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

he says so. read again
:v:

New Kuros (which are simply called Hayabusas or Falcons) loving own btw; the old Kuros are dead models.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

anyone know about streaming stuff? My friend who occasionally streams ST and SF4 can't capture his PS4 because of the hdmi encryption layer(or something like that, hes getting a "Game is copyrighted" error) on his avermedia device. Is this something easy to get around?
turn off HDCP and/or run the PS4 through a stripper

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Cool a super obvious/useless thing that people will parade around as Sick Tech for a week and nobody will actually do it ever because its bad.
hey gently caress you i see a big future in teching a throw with a move that is easily reactable and is like -67 on block!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
literally noone would give a gently caress about ragequits if the result including LP/FM was simply awarded to you as it is in other games rather than being given a lovely error message and being kicked to menu with absolutely nothing to show for it

in fact I'd prefer people ragequitting on me because I'd be able to get more funbucks and internet points without actually having to sit through a real match against dumb scrubs

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Easy #1 in the game; noone else comes close.

Also slide can be up to -2 on block if spaced right

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

I dont play him so I don't know what his weakness would be, I guess his lack of good AA buttons
crHP is ridiculously good AA and EX Inferno protects against crossups. His AA is stupid. Light ball is also a great AA move and his super is a giant hitbox that completely surrounds him.

His weakness is a poor wakeup game but you're never gonna knock him down, so lol. Not to mention Sim and Chun are far worse under pressure than Bison is.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Puzzle Thing posted:

Considering alot of Bison's attacks are big burly moves but still manage to be safe, I wonder if he's going to start suffering when people begin abusing v-reversal alot more?
The problem is that unlike say, Chun Li, who can only stay safe with moves like EX Legs, Bison is always safe, all the time, unless he does a poorly spaced Inferno or slide. V-Reversal only keeps him out for so long, and you're forfeiting your comeback potential to do it.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Looks more like an mk player imo
So that's what Cabbagepots has been up to

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't know what it is about Cammy but she can get me (as Ryu) into this unstoppable loop of chain kicks and I don't really know how to stop it from happening.
I'm playing Cammy right now

What are "chain kicks"-- if you can explain this I can help you

Also this game is fun in the worst kind of way right up until you fight a Dictator; at least Vanilla Sagat was fun to fight against in SF4.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
What Cat Machine said works.

Try it in practice with different timings: if it doesn't come out at all, it's too fast. If it comes out and it doesn't combo, it's too slow.

Once you get that timing, commit it to muscle memory. An old trick I do when learning combos etc is to do 20-30 reps and if I miss, start again. Force yourself to learn that timing so that you can move on from it and you'll never miss. Also yes, double/triple tapping is recommended due to the frame buffer.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How do you triple tap?
Ring finger middle finger index finger in quick succession, like I'm drumming on a table-- except on a button.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
The problem is that Chun's stLK is actually designed to be an anti-air. Other stuff in this game anti-airs just by virtue of jumpins being loving garbage.

Totally diminishes the purpose of AA moves if you can just do whatever and have a decent shot of swatting the other guy out of the air.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Yes - right up until I have to play against a Bison, because I want to see the game improve to the point where I actually enjoy it, and I do: play Rocket League.

In that order.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Jmcrofts posted:

But all of a sudden the threat of a jab is so much that there's no reason to ever jump.

For a ton of characters, jab isn't even close to their best anti-air either.

Day 1, people say AA normals aren't great. Now, people say that AA normals still aren't great, but jabs work. That's not a positive development. MKX is not a game you should be aping when it comes to core mechanics.

There are obviously stronger buttons to hit when a person jumps but jabs are among the most reliable. SF's metagame becomes inherently risk-averse as it evolves so I wouldn't be surprised to see jabs become the standard. The hitboxes are more generous compared to dedicated AA normals which tend to require a surgical strike to stop even the most brainless jumps, they're faster, recover far quicker, sometimes have more active frames, and hit both sides.

signalnoise posted:

Could be that people are upset not only that this game Isn't For Them but also that it's the one that people are going to be playing, so if they want to play actual people they have to play games they don't like

:O

this is me

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

so wait should i hit st lp instead of srk? is that what people are saying?
Not everyone has a DP

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Golem II posted:

I guess different people have different issues. I don't get that character list when playing.
it's the same sequence of enemies regardless of who you pick

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
There's literally no reason to play casual matches ever, though. They don't give you anything when you win.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

you get fight money.

its lobbies that have no payout
I guess I just don't understand why anyone would play a casual match when ranked exists.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 7, 2016

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

no 3-5minute wait between matches. not character locked.
In my experience casual matches pop less frequently than ranked, and they're locked down character-wise the same way

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey I wanna try a new character but I don't wanna lose points while I inevitably lose taking my learning lumps.

Its not hard to figure out.
Battle Lounge so you're paired up with a friend who will actually help you learn instead of some laggy fuckwit who will teach you nothing but terrible bad habits

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Turns out that people aren't willing to pay full retail price for an early access game with literally no features outside of The Fight in a niche genre that people tend to find highly confrontational and/or impenetrable which was publicly ridiculed for having one of the worst busted-rear end launches in recent memory

I mean man, I wouldn't have guessed it!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Real hurthling! posted:

its all true execept the launch though. like less than a day of not working after launch is nbd you got enough mud to sling
Whether or not the issue was solved within a reasonable time frame isn't the issue here: numerous media outlets wrote articles about how awful their day 1 experience was.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
The problem is that to casual observers SF5 just looks like a slightly iterated version of SF4 whereas SF4 looked -- for better or worse -- insanely different to anything they've ever done before.

There was a novelty factor that SF4 had that SF5 just doesn't and whether you liked it or not, vanilla SF4 was more feature complete on launch than SF5. It may not have provided much, but at least half the game wasn't locked out behind "coming soon" notices. It was/is also a more mechanically interesting game (and IMO, way more fun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

InnercityGriot posted:

She's not terrible, she just has a hard time getting in. She's basically a worse R Mika, who I am convinced is top tier, she only needs like two good guesses before stun then death, Laura needs like three or four.
How does a character with an armoured 3/4 screen move, a cancellable crMK, a VT that makes her command dash move at light speed and a linear special that's -2 on block and +2 on hit have issues getting in?