Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Microwaves Mom posted:

If someone can make a video on canceling it would be helpful having it explained in text to me doesnt really clarifiy. LIke i'm trying to do vegas Cr.mk -> QCF lk and nothing happens.

That's because you can't cancel Vega's cr. mk. You have to link Cr. mk, cr. lp, and then do qcf lk. Also, you have to be pretty deep with the cr. mk, otherwise the confirm link will push them too far for the roll to combo.

Also, that's a claw on combo. If you have your claw off, cr. mk, cr. mp, qcf mk combos, and if the crouching punch connects, the roll will connect. If they're too far, the punch won't connect and the roll won't come out, leaving you a bit safer than with the claw on combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Goddamn I'm really loving the game right now. Evil Canadian spent an hour last night kicking my poo poo in, but I actually feel like I might be getting better at this.

If only we could have Mortal Kombat X's presentation with SFV's netcode and actual game.

If you have MKX on PC, you can have a fun time holding Netherrealms Studios dick!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shoryuken posted a cool and good punishable moves video. Go look for it there.

I'm not saying that you should memorize that video, but as you're playing, you should generally be aware of which moves are and are not safe, and which punishes can work in which situation. Even though he uses rashid, it helps to know the start up frames of your situational punish starters. Take Vega, for instance, he can punish very close -3 frame moves with st. lk, cr. lp, lk roll, but that only works in very tight ranges. If you have a 4 frame punishment window, you start with cr. lp>lk roll. If your opponent gifts you a -8 frame move, then standing HP hits crouchers, causes standup, and leads in to every good combo you are comfortable doing.

Obviously veterans know this poo poo, but it's a good concept to keep in mind if you're new at fighting games. Don't let your opponent get away with dumb poo poo, because if you do, they will rub it in your face.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Try out light roll in training mode.

jumping light punch has anti air utility, as does his air throw. Even with those tools, Vega's anti-air is definitely a struggle. You have to represent that poo poo, or people will jump down your throat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vega's anti air options are situational as gently caress, and don't lead to anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

...I don't know how to use air throws. How do you use air throw they just hit me and then I go back to doing st.lk instead of getting cute because it's Chun.

You input the command for a throw.... while in the air.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

yeah and then i get hit

You gotta be a bit preemptive. It's drat near a read.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Booyah- posted:

wow, in the middle of nowhere and still getting a good connection? drat...

I live in New Orleans and I'm getting good connections to Canada, the Dominican Republic, and Mexico. :shrug:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In Training posted:

Every combo in this game is M normal into special

nuh uh. Plenty are jab into special.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Meant from the receiving end.

Make a hard read or get scooped, son.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Your options are invincible reversal and risk guard crush if they evade/block it, throw out a jab and risk getting counterhit, jump and risk getting hit with another jab in your pre jump frames and sucked into a hit confirm combo, or go for a block and hope it isn't a throw.

Make a hard read, son.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Jeeze. Fun.

Nah, the one where she scoops the legs and swings you around. EX has her call in Nadeshiko or whatever her name is.

That's her reward for getting in on you. If you're a longer-ranged character, you get to create a puzzle for her to navigate before she can even begin to accomplish anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Tips for Vega?

You've got great buttons, and your air attacks beat hers if you know what you're doing. Mika's wakeup isn't great? so don't be afraid to abuse that to your advantage. Don't let her in, because Vega has no reversals and no wake up. Set the pace of the neutral game, and for god's sake, don't let her get away with jumping in. If you're worried about jab tick into throw, use a V-reversal to reset to neutral.

The most important thing is that if Mika is standing and not in block or hitstun, you want to be playing the neutral game with her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's the best option against jump ins? His crouching strong slash never seems to have a good angle for me, and I can't consistently beat jump ins with his jumping medium kick or air throw.

Vega's best options are jump back lp. or mk. depending on range or angle

OR

Challenge her directly with an air throw

OR

and I swear to god this works if you get the timing right, lk roll. No, seriously.

If she does a blocked jab into cross up jump in, forward dash or slide under her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are these also my best options against a jumping Laura? Because it feels like her air attacks beat mine 100 percent of the time she actually throws them out - which is a lot, because all the lauras I face basically just have this one really safe blockstring they keep using on me every time they get close only to mix in hops over my head so they can cross me up and do it from the other side, and it feels like if I jump up after them I wind up eating poo poo regardless of what button I pick. Am I just being too slow?

Set up a training dummy to jump at you with different buttons.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Weremacht posted:

there's two broad like, schools of thought about vega's meter management: use it all as fast as possible to maximize damage, and bank it until you can combo into super for 50% damage. the problem with banking is that, yeah, once a round you get 450-500 damage if you dump all your meter into one combo, but outside of that your damage output suffers. figure out which style you like better.

if the matchup favors your neutral game and you can win a good life lead just off of your pokes and mixups, hold on to the meter for the fast kill. If your opponent can get in on you and you need to make up ground, use it on every confirm opportunity you get.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

"don't get dragged down to their level"

also jumping a fireball is 100% a guess and saying it's something you can practice is dumb

wow man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I hate Rashid. I have no idea what to do against him

what do you play?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno what you'd do for Nash as Karin. The trick to beating his moonsault is to beat it on startup with a DP or something instead of on block due to its huge advantage on block. Karin kinda has to spend meter to get something like a DP and it's mostly mean to be a reversal and doesn't go too far so I dunno if that would work...

I feel like a lot of the design choices for moves are really weird in this game. In most other games, Nash's moonsault would probably be minus on block and hilariously unsafe.

Nash's moonsault is safe on block because it's really easy to interrupt with a standing normal. It doesn't become active until very late and I don't think it has any true block strings. You just have to remember that crouching against it is a bad look.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Moonsault is basically a slightly worse version of sf4 jaguar kick tho

It's more than slightly worse, every character in sf4 couldn't put you in a float state on crush counter, and Jaga kii would flat out beat the majority of buttons. It was faster, too, and allowed for even more shenanigans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cams posted:

i don't know what it is, but i feel like it is a lot easier to low profile/move under stuff in this game. at least, relative to sf4.

the lack of instantaneous, safe divekicks with invincible legs helps.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

After not watching a USFIV match in a while, I am suddenly reminded how much I didn't like the in game commentator.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you trade with an air normal, that knocks you out of it and the only damage you get is the initial knee, right? Seems pretty wasteful since EX FBA gives you a similar anti air for less meter.

That setup is really mean, though, wow. I didn't realize the little hop at the end of the roll could cross people up.

If you trade with an air normal, you usually get a follow-up because it puts them into a float state and you almost always recover fast enough for some kind of follow up hit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Same goes for EX FBA, right?

Trading with EX FBA isn't as floaty. Trading with his critical art puts the target in a slow, spinning float, like a crush counter, but possibly even slower.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

try looking at the interaction in frametrapped

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bunch of people in this thread got baited.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

do it after a blocked MP to frametrap people, if i start the c.LP, MP combo and confirm a block i go for b.HP and it tags a lot of people
SFV's best tunes are very very good (hillside plaza, russian underground, karin's theme) and the bad ones are just forgettable rather than outright offensive

nothing in SFV is on pokken's level though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id69xlDk0f8

You think that's... good?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

its gonna be 29th or never if i had to guess

xrd has a good tutorial. skullgirls has a good tutorial and is made in america.

Also that one Xbone game that goons love to hate has a solid tutorial and is made in the USA.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I was going to get KI, but it's looking like it's going to be saddled as some form of exclusive Games For Windows Live: The Rebrandening™ upon release. If it does release on Steam then I might reconsider and pick it up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm about to make a whole lot of goons really upset:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cougar cub posted:

Where is my god drat car punch stage?

Sega Fighters Megamix. In that one, the car stage fights back.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Why do people ragequit? Why do they do it the first time I cross them up?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I don't understand why, it's a pretty easy tetris piece to work with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I really love it when the whole screen shakes back and forth violently when the other player waggles their joystick.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Renoistic posted:

How do you handle Mika's who do command throws on you as you wake up?

Block/jumpback tech option select.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

This does nothing against meaty command throws, since they cannot be blocked and cannot be teched.

You just have to guess, and either jump, backdash, or do an invincible move.

The prejump frames work just fine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

They're certainly not going to do it during Japanese prime time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That's like the 2nd or 3rd best thing I've ever seen.

edit: I'm also really, really happy that Capcom decided "Oh wait, Dhalsim is supposed to be Sikh!"

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 29, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

At least one of the vega challenges teaches you a very bad combo. Like really, why would I add more links to do less damage?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In Vega's case it's probably the infinite flyaway on anti-air trade in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oh hey, I play vega, here's a combo that starts with jumping HK. What's the best way to end this combo? With some linked lights and a move that doesn't knock down or corner carry????

gg capcom.

gg.