Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

notZaar posted:

my forearms still look like tapered tubes.

more bro science

now is the time to make sure you're doing cool things that involve holding onto a weight for a long time like...

db rows!
high-rep deadlifts!
farmers carries!
kettbell swings for days!

do these things so your forearms can be awesome and your other stuff can be awesome too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Question: I mentioned before that I can't do deadlifts at home. Instead I've been doing good mornings before 5×5-8 barbell rows. Does this even make sense, or is there something else that I should do instead - some kind of clean, maybe? Should I be 5x5ing the good mornings as well or is this decidedly unsafe?

(clean and snatch rip) RDLs, all kinds of power cleans, clean and/or snatch high pulls, higher reps on everything (dimel deadlifts?)

5x5 is fine on good mornings if they're quality

do you have dumbbells? maybe you can do swings with them

crazy idea: maybe buy a band($20), stand on it and do deadlifts/RDLs/whatever with it attached to the bar

maybe figure out how to jam your feet under a couch and do some sort of glute-ham raise?

GO loving NUTS

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dum Cumpster posted:

All rep ranges matter

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Renegret posted:

What do people recommend

I need new shoes

Reebok Crossfit Lite TR

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

why are weightlifting people on this forum so fond of leg stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7GJWM91ecc

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

someone post that video of that weightlifter goon screaming on his squat or whatever

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

thanks lads :yum:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

im just going to say it. overhead press is pretty weak as a "main movement". do some push presses and rep out some OHP afterwards

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

if you can do a lot of weight with OHP it's probably fine but there's probably a better way to increase the size and strength of those muscles than spending 50% of your training time squirming around under 95lbs #startingstrength

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

bamhand posted:

I spent about 15 minutes on OHP today and got up to 3 reps of 170. Is that good enough for your goon standards?

Yeah that's p dece

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Green Crayons posted:

this is a good one and the art joke is funny

i liked the gunshot noises

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

SWOLE exception 2016: *body mysteriously converts liquid beer to solid shits*

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dum Cumpster posted:

Get an ab wheel, they're cheap and one of the best ab workouts

not this one http://broscience.co/mike-ohearn-now-selling-an-ab-wheel-aka-frog-fitness-for-1495/

always be ab wheelin'

https://vk.com/video73899913_163393987

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 23, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I chalk up before I ab wheel.

lol if you dont chalk up before you jerk it

just lol

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chinatown posted:

since i never have a spot I am just working my bench from my max weight of 5 reps up to 10. Is there a better way to increase my max without a spot?

you dont have to lift maximally to get stronger

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Chinatown posted:

but the more weight you have on the bar the cooler you look so....:confused:

gently caress you, buddy. you'll lift those 5lbs pink dumbbells and you'll like it

effort post: most strong dudes say you should catch a ton of volume doing a bunch of sets @ an RPE of 7-8 instead of blowing out your butthole on one heavy set @ RPE 10. jim wendler/chad wesley smith always talk about leaving a rep or two in the tank and accumulating a ton of submaximal volume

if you gotta go crazy dont put the clips on the bar and dump the weights off to the side one at a time. it works.

source: my poo poo lifts

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 31, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey, I've done pyramid sets where I end up with like fourteen 10s on the bar and people do look at you funny.

But when you end up with no more weight on the bar and pushing to failure is like 7 reps? People look at you even funnier.

Edit: yeah I know you said dumbbells, but the "why do 5 lb weights exist" thing came up earlier itt, and I just want to say that the smaller weights do have a purpose.

but the real bros know you're going through some poo poo

dying with 45lbs in hand is the greatest

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Fallows posted:

i did not feel cool

did u smash, or did u just look at old dick in the sauna after?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Paper Diamonds posted:

So I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. My squat has reached 205 for 5x5 on a good day, days like today 205 ends up 5/4/4/2/2. My DL is at 255 1x5 and increasing 5lbs every workout is very manageable so far. Is this plateau in my squat a signal that it's time to move away from linear programs to a period based thing?

eat more

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

lettuce b real

even if it was a 240lbs 4 board press that'd still be legit impressive

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Lemming posted:

I can squat 5x5@300 on Monday and can only do 1x3@320 on Friday, what disease do I have? Do I need a squatplug?

maybe poor mechanics leading you to falling apart at heavier weights? leave no stone un-turned my goon sir

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Uxzuigal posted:

Finaly broke 100kg squatting today... 220lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21css5uxW1s
Feels good to have two things at 100kg+ :)

:shittypop: that depth!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

bamhand posted:

I found volume helped a lot with OHP.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dum Cumpster posted:

Reddit and Rip. Two of the worst things.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

Only powerlifts and autists on the internet care about how much you cna lift

someone post the cavefish quote about it

its the only thing on my pastebin

Cavefish posted:

here's some advice: no one gives a gently caress how much you lift besides gay power bears and autistic internet lifters. People give even less of a gently caress how much you lift if you look like a big bag of poo poo OH BUT I CAN SQUAT A LOT thats great but can a jersey shore skank rail an 8 ball of coke off your chiseled abs I didn't think so. I get the feeling most people want to do smolov or something similar so they can be like "i told u i was hardcore" when their lovely squat goes up 30lbs to the detriment of their other lifts and physique because they're lazy and train like poo poo already and are impatient or want to play the starting strength spreadsheet rpg and minmax their stats and oh look MY GAINS and basically i'm not saying this applies to you but the majority of this forum is a bunch of loving retards who would rather spend time jerking off over fat or average chicks posting lovely progress pics than actually learning how to improve themselves and I hope you all die alone where is your god mark rippetoe now?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

Ah the W&W glory days. Now it's a big bag of even shittier poo poo than it was back then.
:rip: W&W

:rip: (probably) Cavefish

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Defiant Sally posted:

Alright boys I can still pull 475 pretty easily so it seems that this cut has only killed my ability to blast volume.

Now lets see what toll a 4 month vacation takes.

have you ever been to squat bot dot com, op?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

guys guys GUYS I fixed my janky squat and I dont turn them all into good mornings or w/e

feels gud

also deathlifted my 5RM for 7 with some reps left in the tank

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Constipated posted:

So what kind of shoes does everyone squat/deadlift in? I've been using some chuck style slip ons for awhile that are falling apart, or just barefoot. Not really happy with the traction and support I get with either route.

Also, shorts? Been wearing some baggy basketball style stuff and I'm tired of it bunching up on the bar during deadlifts. Really need to upgrade my gym attire something fierce.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE THE CROSSFIT BRANDED APPAREL AND FOOTWARE

also rugby shorts are cheap+good

or just buy new chucks and smaller shorts

crossfit tr lites are great flat shoes

Greg Nuckols squats 700 in WalMart slipons

skimothy milkerson fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 12, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Constipated posted:

Lol. Rugby shorts look good, think I'll order a pair or two of those and wear some compression shorts underneath.

I think I'm done with chucks, I've never had a pair that felt like they really fit. Always have issues with my toes having too much room to move around. Do you mean the reebok crossfit lites? If so, those look cool. I think I remember seeing people talk about adidas adipower's, anyone have experience with those? Pretty expensive but reviews online are pretty good.

Walmart is where I got my slip ons, I would totally get another pair but the ones I keep seeing at the 2 closest Walmarts are a different design thats just not as good as the ones I got some years back. :(

Whichever shoes are the high-tops that look like chucks. Mark Bell and Jesse Burdick helped develop them for the powerlifts and they're very very nice. Word on the street is that at least one iteration of the Adipowers didn't/don't have 100% incompressible soles but it probably doesn't matter. The Reebok crossfit Oly shoes are nice because they have flexible forefoots for running and jumps and stuff.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

woo new bench PR. A 1 rep max calculator said I should be able to max 170 lbs which I doubted, then I gave it a shot tonight and actually managed 175. I know that's not poo poo to most people but it's the strongest I've ever been in my life. 2 or 3 months ago I could barely rep 115lbs like 3 or 4 times.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

!!!!!!

My high school had one of these. It's literally just a regular hack squat machine. Actually it's the most awesome hack squat machine of all time.

gently caress I want to go to a normal gym and blast them squads on a leg press or whatever

• Locked thread