Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dum Cumpster posted:

I hope everyone was visited by the gains fairy in the last month

Beginning to approach strongfat status again (2015 was a litany of gains-mudering bullshit, one thing after another: tendonitis, bronchitis, whachamacallitis). Squatted 172.5 kg/380 lbs yesterday which is the best I've done in at least a couple of years. Will probably injure self lifting an empty suitcase or something soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

What lead you to think taking steroids is a good idea?

I was just recently in the control group for a medical research project on long-term effects of steroid use and got to see some ultrasound scans of the hearts of steroid users. Yeeeeeah, I guess I'm going to keep right on not touching that poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Cardiologist dude said he'd been studying this stuff since 2005 and looked at the hearts of a lot of steroid users; all along there'd been a few lucky bastards who'd escaped any ill effects but most showed significant hypertrophy of the cardiac muscle, leading to much thicker and stiffer walls and tiny chambers and everything working worse and worse. Likelihood of needing a heart transplant (no cakewalk in itself) or an early death would be pretty high. Granted, these were mostly guys who'd been using for years, not just run a cycle or two and then quit, but still.

One might imagine that one eventual side benefit of this type of research would be finding out exactly why there are some guys who don't get swole heart death syndrome and maybe even use that for predictive or preventative purposes but I gathered this wasn't the primary objective.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, like wearing sweatpants is going to hide the fact that you're fat.

The more basic need is to not freeze and / or get arrested for public indecency.

quote:

Personally I prefer to go with something like this: http://www.shakatime.com/category/muumuu.html

Ah, the Homer Simpson choice, what could possibly go wrong?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hardawn posted:

Gf swoleshamed me yesterday, saying my face gets red when I lift, bros? I'm ok right?

Gonna die.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Boko Haram posted:

Working out at the end of the day is best, gotta end your day on a good note.

My usual preference is right before lunch. Which I can usually do since we have a decent gym in the basement of my office building, and my job is such that it usually doesn't matter much when I take breaks. It's brilliant because it breaks up my workday into natural-sized chunks of actual work, the gym is usually empty or nearly empty at that time, and going straight from the shower room to eat lunch is pretty nice.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The dread of going down in the squat rack without honestly knowing if you'll ever come back up alive.

When you think about it that's much the same as going to sleep, going to take a dump, sitting down to eat a meal, driving in traffic...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

gently caress people. I'm going to use a university gym in a week and a half, and I hope the smarmy little undergrads don't gently caress everything up all the time.

I'm afraid undergrads count as people too, and therefore have the power to gently caress things up.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

You should realize by now that goons make literally zero progress.

Nah, I make lots of okay progress. It's just the same progress over and over because I get sick or injured or knock up my wife again -- any number of things that set back and interrupt training for a while -- then I get to restart and rebuild and recapitulate. It's that whole "having a life outside of the gym" thing that fucks up everything.

Sometimes I even have enough uninterrupted progress to set a marginal PR in something or other. Like earlier this year I managed to strict press 85 kg, only took me six years to get there from 80 kg.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Lmao if you don't plan on being crushed by the barbell while beating your personal best on the bench press at an old age

I'm going for the "rupture huge aneurysm while deadlifting" angle, myself.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Zzulu posted:

In other news, today I declared that the Swedish summer is officially over and we're probably not getting any more relatively warm days so now is the perfect time to start BULKING, which I have waited The Entire Summer to start doing

Traditional Scandinavian autumn/winter food is basically made for bulking, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
The deadlift is a fickle beast, what seems easy one week can be quite difficult the next, based on any number of factors.

Or maybe some rear end in a top hat has just been messing with the local gravity.

• Locked thread