Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

roymorrison posted:

Lmao at these jabronis who do steroids but don't have a total

Yeah getting a plastic trophy truly makes it all worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

So a friend is telling me to buy the Reebok crossfit nano 5 shoes because he says they're "cool". Are they in fact cool (for lifting?) I need some good new shoes because my current ones are starting to get destroyed

Shop carefully, your shoes play a huge role in your lifting performance

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Say Nothing posted:

Posting some more Arnold strongman videos from the YLLS powerlifting thread, just in case anyone is feeling too cocky about their strength.

Big Z, winner (8th title!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dudawrdMptE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJqCgX05W8

Brian Shaw, 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ys0lNI7_ZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gv3g6FjLxE

Who cares powerlifting/strongman is retarded

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yah let me destroy my body just to look like someone who moves furniture for a living - a powerlifter

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thats Andy Bolton on dialysis 5 years after setting the world record for deadlift. Sure is something to aspire towards :jerkbag:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah but Jesse Norris

Fair enough but its like cmon fellas just lift reasonable weights and you wont end up as an invalid at age 40

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That dude had hip surgery at the ripe old age of 35 so thanks for proving my point for me

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

So my knees have been getting reeeally sore and tight after squatting. My first day at this new gym and I make this comment to one of the guys who competes in powerlifting. He proceeds to coach me for like 30 minutes on wide stance squats. Squatted pretty heavy (for me) and my knees felt way way way better the next day. Only thing is, with the wider stance I'm not bombing all the way rear end to grass ( I normally squat so low that my hamstrings touch my calves), but he said I'm still breaking parallel by a few inches when squatting wide. He told me that if I want to do deep narrow squats to do lighter weight, and for heavier do a wide stance to just below parallel.

You'll spare your knees at the expense of your hips

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

You missed the "but don't do it if it hurts" that applies to everything.

Number one rule of lifting.

Don't feel like you have to squat, especially if your goal is to develop your physique and ESPECIALLY if you can't do it without your knees/hips/back hurting.

If youre dead-set on squatting, adjust your form and lighten the weight. Keep the intensity high by increasing the rep range, decreasing the rest periods, pre-exhaust, etc

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Lmao if you don't have a gut forcing you to go sumo on squats.

"sumo squats" aren't really a thing unless you're talking about that exercise where you're holding a dumbbell

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

I just mean putting your tumtum between your knees rather than pancaking it on them.

Yeah I googled it and it turns out it is in fact a "term". Sorry for being a pedant.

Keep lifting hard friend

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

the lack of good gyms near me is painful. I love my garage setup but I want somewhere with other people around and actual equipment but it looks like my only real options are crossfit or 24 Hour Fitness/LA Fitness. Are gyms are like that worthwhile at all? One time I went to Planet Fitness and they didn't have a bench press thing

24 hour fitness/LA fitness are totally fine. They have all the freeweight stuff, dbs up to 120, plenty of hammer strength stuff. Plus they'll usually have fine-looking females too

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

Re: Narrow vs wide squats
I think I figured it out today. It's not the depth that's causing knee pain. But the fact that my knees collapse inward on squats, especially narrow stance. I think the wider stance helps me keep my knees pushed outward.

That'll do it. After squats, hit the good girl/bad girl machine for "much win"

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

I have no idea what that means

Adductor/abductor machine

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Revenant posted:

Gyms re shady hot garbage. I called a gym to ask the price once and a slime ball used car dealer told me to come down for a tour and told me about all the ahit at the gym and literally would t shut up or tell me the price. Ikoined the YMCA because it is better and has better price and is a pillar of the community. Shame the "progressives" made it illegal to call it the Christians association but such is life

That's not uncommon. Competing gyms will call each, asking for the price of membership/startup fees so that they can undercut each other or make enticing promotions. So many places won't give you all that info over the phone

The Y is still a solid choice in many cases

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

I've always skipped those machines, they seem like a complete waste of time.

They're decent especially if your knees are tracking funny during squats. Also they build your inner thigh, making your bulge more prominent :mrgw:

Don't make them the focus of your workout obviously but a couple quick sets at the end of leg day isn't a bad idea

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Knight posted:

I noticed a significant difference in my lifts after stalling and taking creatine.

And, at the very least, an increase in water weight. <jiggle jiggle>

Yeah it'll make you bloat up a little bit which moves the scale and can lead to increased strength from the ensuing leverage advantage

How much of that leads to actual contractile tissue gains is anybody's guess (probably not much)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

is corned beef good for gains

I know cabbage will assist my post-gym dump seshs.

The nitrates will have a vasodilating effect, yielding massive pumps and sickening vascularity

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uxzuigal posted:

Any advice for "troublesome" left shoulder? Feels like I am getting some minor tears (well, duh- bigger than normal) which causes some pain, but not really limits my strength. First two reps of a set is worst, then its usualy better. I warm up with a empty barbell (20kg), no pain then.

Shoulder rolls etc any good? It feels like the pain stems from the small bicep head.

Probably tendinitis from jacking it too much. A bullet to the temple ought to cure whatever ails ya

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fallows posted:

on the 17th day of my first cycle, ive gone from 177.0 to 183.8 with no increase in body fat, maybe a little lower
i dont know about my str since i have just been doing tons of volume

adding test in like 5 days, real excited for that. can we even talk about this stuff here?

What have you been running if you're adding test three weeks into it

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fallows posted:

methylhydroxynandrolone

Sounds intriguing

There's nothign wrong w juicing, but avoid the prohormones. Run 250-500mg of test for 6+ months

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fallows posted:

Yea I am only taking this for 3 more weeks, i was going to wait till it was over to start test(sust 300) but instead i am going to start in a few days

im taking liver stabil since i know these are hard on your insides and have not noticed any sides, hydration is annoying since i wash cars 6 days a week here in florida so im drinking so much fluid

Most important: don't take any acetaminophen and don't drink while you're doing the prohormones

On the sauce, number one concern is to keep your blood pressure in check--w medications if need be--and have fun :)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would venture a guess that most goons complaining about pants being unable to fit them just need to lose some weight

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Q-Face posted:

My size 34s already have a waistband I can fit my arm down pretty easily while they're buttoned up, and they're still a little snug in the thighs. If I wear 36s I'm able to fit both arms down them.

You're right, though, I've got about 30-35 pounds of fat on me. If you have a pro tip for targeting the fat in my thighs, that'd be great.

Just lose weight in general. Carrying extra fat doesn't make you grow muscle faster, in fact it's counterproductive in that regard.

I mean, do whatever, but if you're lifting w the end goal of improving your appearance consider my words :eng101:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Profondo Rosso posted:

I don't think you understand how pant sizes work. My waist fits comfortably in a 30, it's just incredibly uncomfortable, bordering on painful, for my thighs as size 30 pants are designed for the average person that wears them, not someone with swole thighs and a 30 waist. Short of cutting chunks of muscle from my thighs I cannot change this

Perhaps you don't understand how the body distributes fat. Unless your thighs resemble this:

You have a layer of fat covering them, like this:

That fat and muscle is what is causing your pants to not fit. HTH.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Q-Face posted:

I wear Sweatpants all day long.

My fat thighs.

I should just give up and go back to eating fast food. :(

No wonder you can't find pants that'll fit those veritable tree trunks.....jk, not bad.

Also, when you're posing from the side, press the front leg against the rear leg to bring out your hamstrings. Check out how bbers do the side chest to see what I mean

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Q-Face posted:

Givin it a try, I'm still at like 17-18% BF.

Nobody wants to see that poo poo.

Can I be a swole-bro yet?

You're right, but thigh muscle going up while thigh fat doesn't go down sucks!

No those are good legs. Keep up the good work

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Swolebros, I took the threads advice and tried the abductor / adductor machines. Thighs blasted 10/10, would blast again.

:cheers:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleT2172 posted:

Starvation mode is a fallacy and you are bad at dieting

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Is it really all that impossible that your metabolism might slow a bit if you get your body used to a whole new lower diet?

Let me hear all the broscience

"A bit" is the operative term here. And 1800 is definitely not a starvation diet, lol at some over fed goon thinking he's starving on that.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Minorkos posted:

hm i wasnt losing weight at 2200kcal a day even as an active 92kg 191cm person, so i knocked it down to 2000kcal and started eating veggies instead of bread. now i have trouble sleeping at night due to constant almost unbearable hunger. send help

edit: according to a cool internet calorie calculator, my daily calorie maintenance should be at around 4000kcal. so at this rate i should be losing fat at around 1 pound a day, but i don't know if that's really the case.

Weight loss is not a linear process, don't be discouraged by periods of nonprogress. So long as you'restaying active n truly consuming ~2000 calories, you'll end up at a healthy weight. Be accurate when counting calories, underestimating your portions would also explain stagnation.

As mentioned above, eating a big meal before bed can help w hunger pangs at night. Also, bump your fiber intake. Swapping starches for veggies is a great start, also legumes will be your best friend. They'll keep you so full, it'll make dieting almost easy. Buy big bags of frozen veggies, they cook up easy and will keep you satiated.

Stay at it brave goon, we believe in you

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

I eat at least 3300 calories almost every day of my life and it is A M A Z I N G.

Hey whatever works for you

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Minorkos posted:

i'm counting every food item i eat while adding up the calories in my head over the day. there's very little room for underestimation since i "very rarely" eat anything that i don't know the exact calorie amount for. my body is just being a dick lately it seems

i'm not new to this, i'm just new to cutting suddenly being hard as heck. a couple of years ago, i managed to lose weight at 3000kcal a day eating pizzas and stuff on a daily basis. but i suppose my old age of 22 is getting to me and i have to make a real tryhard cut to lose weight. i had the same thing going on last year when my progress absolutely halted for a few months despite eating 1800-2000kcal and doing tons of weight & interval training. i couldn't believe i was stalling with that kind of deficit so i didn't even think to eat even less. eventually, i forced myself to like 1600 calories a day with the same amount of exercise and i lost like 1-2kg after a month of it, which turned out to be almost entirely muscle

This right here is the source of your issues.

Nothing has changed, friend, you're just not consuming the calories you think you are. Unless you're measuring each and every food eaten with a scale, you don't really know how much you're eating.

Do what you want--it doesn't matter to me--but if you're not getting the results you want, take a step back and re-evaluate your approach.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Minorkos posted:

i eat food made by other people about once a week, if that. and i usually find out how many calories there was in the food i eat, and if i can't find out the exact number then i'll make estimation skewed upwards. but typically i cook for myself and i look at how much food im putting on my plate. i don't exactly eat stuff randomly and then just guess the calories. at the end of the day i use google to calculate exactly how many calories i got from my 3-4 daily meals and then i'll eat something extra if it was too low.

but maybe the calculator is broken

i use either a scale or i memorize the calorie count per serving and per 100g and i multiply that number by the amount of food items i eat

don't doxx me please

You're right dude. Must be something else

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Homestar Runner posted:

that's because they are ---> http://athleanx.com/best-workout-program-videos/chest-fly-fallacy

dumbbells flys suck and they create zero tension at the top of the movement.

try this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YcANO5d0nA

Truly this guy knows better than pretty much every pro bber ever

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

He looks strangely... out of proportion.

Let's be real that's a great physique but he's certainly not in a position to say everyone else has been doing it wrong

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Homestar Runner posted:

you do actual crossfit

true, but he makes an actual physiological argument to explain his position.

do you have a physiological argument to counter?

Yeah, flies work the chest poindexter. Any questions?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sure whatever. Got any more "physiological arguments" you wanna make?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Homestar Runner posted:

sure, since you asked

My point isn't that the DB fly movement doesn't involve the chest, because it does. However, majority stress of the exercise is felt in the coracobrachialis muscle, which in itself has nothing to do with the development of your chest. I figure that's what the OP was anecdotally inferring.

And since you can't create tension at the top of the movement with dumbbells, you're better off using cables. You'll be able to stack more weight on, in a much safer way.

I'm v sorry if this argument offends you

DB flies are a tried n true exercise that have worked for most people, but if all you get out of them is a hypertrophied "coracobrachialis" (lol) yeah I'd suggest trying a different alternative. As far as the loss of tension at the top, believe it or not but you don't have to use full ROM to work a muscle. In fact, you may even experience better results by limiting your ROM to the portion of the exercise where the tension on your muscle is greatest!

if a particular exercise isn't working for you, find a better alternative. I thought this was common sense but maybe not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpeedyCow posted:

I don't see how doing a full ROM with heavier weight and proper form can build muscle imbalances, but I also admit I could be wrong

Everybody has muscular imbalances, save for like a blessed 5%. Ex: most people will have peaked biceps or hanging triceps, p much nobody has both. So it's not unusual, but there's also pretty much no way to correct it. It's all based on innate stuff like limb lengths, muscle attachments, etc

Just try and do the best you can...a lean developed physique will look impressive, period.

• Locked thread