Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Hope it goes well. Good luck, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

I dunno about never, I have been squatting regularly for about 1 years now and it's starting to feel pretty natural, I've gotten to the point where bending my back to reach down feels wrong on an unconscious level.

Are you in this position casually giving a lecture?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

Sorry, I tend to forget that there are some god awful loving poo poo trainers about. Im lucky enough to have some solid guys who lift serious around me. Also, not sure what the requierment to become a personal trainer is in the US. Here it involves quite abit of work.

It's pathetic. Probably more work to find a certification that isn't garbage than to become a personal trainer.

notZaar posted:

Are you kidding me? Look at his feet and knees, he might as well be shredding his meniscusii with a rotary saw.

Only little girl need meniscus

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
You're doing great!

MNIMWA posted:

Saw some massive guys in the gym today using chains on their bench press and now I want to do dumb funky workouts and make a huge scene + noise

What can you guys recommend

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQaldUbOMI&t=59s

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 12, 2016

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Dza posted:

So, I went here today and talked to several of the largest men I have ever seen. They were cool as gently caress, and stoked that I was interested in the place. It's all the usual, plus Atlas balls, giant tires, and other such cool poo poo in a warehouse. I'll be joining.

They have a guy on staff that I talked to who does Functional Movement Screening http://mettleperformance.ca/?classes=postural-movement-screenings and he suggested that he could coach me through my stiffness and inflexibility. Of course he gets paid to suggest this, so I seek your input. Seems legit but you guys would know.

If that's affordable for you it's not a waste of money, but I don't think it's necessary either.

Glad it seems to be moving in the right direction.

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 13, 2016

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

Is there any reason to do a rack pull if you can deadlift?

Work on your lockout, get extra work in without taxing your lower back, work your upper back, for funzies.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

FizFashizzle posted:

First pull injuries.

Also listen to the guy who exclusively deadlifts.

When I do my lovely attempts at cleans it feels like I get forearm tendinitis after. Any idea what I'm doing wrong, clean guy?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I used to not to front squats or cleans because I thought I was too immobile and couldn't be fixed or that I'd crush my pacemaker, but it turns out I was just stupid and doing things wrong. This has been a theme in my life.

FizFashizzle posted:

Tight elbows most likely, or a weak front rack position in general. Mobilize that poo poo.

Additionally are you gripping the bar as you transition into the catch? You have to be stupid flexible to hold on to a bar through the catch position.

Cheers m8. I'll pay attention to wtf I'm doing in the transition and see if that's it. And I'll work on my mobility.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sassassin posted:

I clean with a suicide/thumbless grip, which seems to help my wrist flexibility (without mashing thumbs into paste like hook grip).

Yeah I don't use my thumbs for most of my attempts at oly lifting. The only thing I really need them for are clean deadlifts/pulls and heavy snatches. Still haven't bothered adding hook grip as I can barely remember what to do for the movements when not paying attention to my grip

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Great, now YouTube thinks I'm weirder

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It's research!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Reddit and Rip. Two of the worst things.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Do steroids and sit on the couch.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I haven't really been deadlifting but I did 535 last night to try out a new bar. It was nice.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Despite the crossfit label, I'm looking into a better grip (i rarely deadlift with my trainer, so I'll talk to him about it too). I've gripped it more with my fingers before, but I always get dangerously close to dropping the bar / cage because I have (mild) carpal tunnel and therefore I have babby hands.

Maybe I just have to deal with it and grip further towards the fingers.

Although, this may also be because of the temp gloves. I've deadlifted 325 before and didn't come close to shearing the calluses off. The lovely gloves maybe shifted the bar in my hand.

Gloves increase the diameter you're gripping which makes it harder to hold on to and they can shift around and rip off your skin. You're better off not using them if you want to protect your delicate hands.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hm. I tried a hook grip a couple times and started to get that bad tingle, though maybe it was unrelated to the hook grip itself (sometimes I work with my hands during the day doing moderately strenuous stuff, can't remember if one of those days coincided with hook grip attempts). I'll try it again once my palms heal up, and once I have better gloves. (I usually use thin gloves that don't mess with my grip placement, I've found baseball gloves work well.)

You're going to miss my reply because it ended up on the bottom of last page but don't use gloves.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

Brutalizing those every week, any excercise you'd recommend? - it seems to be in the transition the issue is. I feel that I am rather strong in triceps on other things.

I've got bodyweight dips, tricep pushdowns, skullcrushers/frenchpress in addition to doing sitting dips (table) at home several times a week (my way of getting blood pumping in the morning).

Do close grip bench press or pin presses or something with around as much weight as you're using for regular bench. If you want your bench to go you you need to train your triceps with the kind of weight you want to move.

Adding weight to your dips is a good idea too.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the rule of thumb for increasing volume in a lift before moving up to heavier weights/less reps? I'd like to get my squat up to at least two plates (225) for a comfortable 5x8 by the summer; I just squatted 205 for 5x6. There was some talk a couple of pages back about dropping down the weight and increasing the volume but I think that was more about struggling with a plateau, which I don't really think I am - in the past month I've actually been able to comfortably add 10lbs each week up to 205x5x5 last week (so I held it there today and did six reps instead of five). Should I keep holding at 205 and go for more reps each week, and if so at what rep range should I add more weight? Or should I just stick with the 5x5 and add 5lbs next week?

The only rule is to keep doing things that work until they stop working.

And yes that was specifically about plateaus.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Knight posted:

That's fine, your deadlift should be much greater than your squat.

Not for most people

http://strengtheory.com/help-squat-catch-deadlift/

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Knight posted:

Most people aren't lifting in the elite range, where a 20lb difference between their 595 squat and 615 deadlift is more normal. A 70-50 lb difference is absolutely expected for intermediate and advanced lifters, and I don't see why you'd want to tell someone lifting in the novice range otherwise.

I guess it depends on "should" or "should end up". I always think about end goals.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Alpha poo poo

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Got my last workout in before Season 6. See you fellas in a few weeks.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Fyi you're going to build almost no muscle without carbs. cheers

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Pesmerga posted:

If I'm lifting before eating in the morning should I take BCAAs to stop my muscles falling off or are the supposed catabolic effects bullshit?

Apparently it's bullshit. The study that everyone gets that from was wrong. It's like eating sugar.

Then again maybe the new idea is wrong. No one knows. Your body is a beautiful mystery.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Pesmerga posted:

Thanks mate, I won't bother with spending more money on supplements. :)

Np. I just bought a tub myself a month or two ago. At least I enjoyed some fruity drinks while I worked out.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

lol

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I've read Starting Strength and thus am qualified to give advice on anything remotely fitness related.

Trying to qualify for the olympic fencing team? Let me tell you about the low bar squat...

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

Ah the W&W glory days. Now it's a big bag of even shittier poo poo than it was back then.

Somehow people knowing less about lifting made things better

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

In other news: Wow, that Captains of Crush trainer didn't last long. Thought I'd take the trainer and the #1 with me on my trip, but now I think I should've bought the number 2 and took 1 and 2.

Summer vacations can be a lonely time for young boys.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

Don't worrying man it's almost roid time

have you ever seen this much.... bacne on a man?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
So this thread's been running for a couple years now. Is everyone other than the firefighter, emaciated sally, roid dude, and the crossfitter(s) jacked and tan now?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

I miss the BLOPS days. Just a bunch of muscle dummies slamming literal children into online dumpsters.

I, too, miss fun

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Not like, just releasing you grip from up the up position on a deadlift, no. Using your arms to toss the weight away from you. Which, if you can do that, you weren't lifting heavy enough anyway.

You should try doing some heavy rows if that's allowed in your safe place

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJMRMWHhVtn/?hl=en

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It's rude to crowd people when they're lifting.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

If my dick isn't hitting your rear end as I lift, why am I there?

That's what saunas are for. Don't sacrifice your gains.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

max4me posted:

where is the steroid thread?

I tired google but it just soo baad out there.

It would go in TCC but I don't know if anyone every made one. Apparently reddit has a less terrible roid subforum somewhere.

Pesmerga posted:

Well, I'm 5'9" or so at 145lb, and somewhere around 12% bodyfat based on measurements. I should see about getting it done with callipers to figure out if I'm completely off.

Same but 199 and 15%. Knowing my luck it's all muscle, despite doing everything correctly. That or I'm just a pessimist and that's once again manifesting to mansplain anything that goes well :shrug:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I celebrated my logbook's 15th birthday last Saturday by not working out :toot:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

This forum actually used to have a good community in TFLC.

Now everybody is dead, married, or weak.

Except me. I am the last.

Only socially inept goons would read this and post, "not me! I'm a special snowflake, let me tell you how!" instead of "it's a shame what happened to those people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

What is it like? On the outside?

I pretend I'm an adult and people believe it for some reason

• Locked thread