Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

akadajet posted:

can't wait for my car to be remote controlled over cellular

I used to have these really hosed up dreams where I was at my home computer, but remotely driving my car down the interstate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

Google Fi is basically 5g, probs closer to 6 or 7G

my coworker told me i should get google fi because it was cheap so i looked up the coverage map and back home where i go to visit multiple times a year, they only have 2G coverage, in TYOOL 2016. shameful.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think this year is finally going to be the year that i stop using a flipphone from 2006

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
smoking 5 grams of dmt

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

smoking 5 grams of dmt
good for you echo but what the gently caress is 5 g???!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
UK operator known as EE has 4G, Double Speed 4G and 4G+. Which of those last two is faster? Who knows

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Sweevo posted:

people flipped out over 3g and 4g, but you never heard about 1g or 2g

thats because there was no 1g or 2g. 3g is really only 1g and 4g is only 2g. you are being deceived. you are getting fewer gs than you think

holy poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
5g is basically when your microwave doubles as a wifi hotspot

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sweevo posted:

people flipped out over 3g and 4g, but you never heard about 1g or 2g

thats because there was no 1g or 2g. 3g is really only 1g and 4g is only 2g. you are being deceived. you are getting fewer gs than you think

learn more at infowars.com

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

mishaq posted:

lol wimax

yeah I had a sprint WiMAX phone for a short time

the 4g would not work indoors at all

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

maybe this is 5G?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Networks

http://www.artemis.com

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

that's vaporware

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mishaq posted:

lol wimax

in 2010 when i bought my thinkpad i configured it with the wifi+wimax card

i have used it to access the internet a total of 1 time. at one point there was free wimax in cupertino. maybe there still is.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wimax was originally designed for wireless backhaul and fixed access wireless for like, wireless ISPs and poo poo

then they tried to bolt on mobility

all the wimax spectrum was super high frequency and garbage

and sprint lead the effort lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lte is more than fast enough for 99% of whatever if you don't live in a garbage area

latency could be better but meh

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lte is more than fast enough for 99% of whatever if you don't live in a garbage area

latency could be better but meh

it's not for you

it's so networks can have more people using less towers since each network request will take less time if it can be fulfilled faster

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mishaq posted:

that's vaporware

it's being deployed by Nokia :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's not for you

it's so networks can have more people using less towers since each network request will take less time if it can be fulfilled faster

thats assuming carriers will roll it out in some kind of timely fashion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know if lte is available where i live and I certainly dont give a poo poo even if it is because my iphone 4s is still 3g because lets be honest who needs anything more

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

it's being deployed by Nokia :colbert:

no its not

i see one press release about a "trial" which means gently caress all

http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/2015/11/02/nokia-networks-artemis-to-trial-pcell-technology

from when i first heard about this poo poo and saw their "demo" it's vaporware as gently caress

they released some bullshit technical paper that does nothing to even come close to substantiate any of their claims

there's been no additional press or discussion of the technology since 2014

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im the magical rf signal processing in their magical data center that can be packetized and sent on single gige ethernet link to a radio

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

my home connection is slower than my cell phone in 2016 gently caress american telcoms

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

semon demon posted:

my home connection is slower than my cell phone in 2016 gently caress american telcoms

theyre really bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there's an entire series of commericals a finnish operator uses to make fun of how bad telecom is in the us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiVMPLYQ0F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cnpbvAJl4

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Google fi is great it's just ten dollars per gigabyte so on a good 4g connection that's only like a dollar per second or two

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that's definitely preferable to my comcast service where a terabyte per month does not matter at all to anybody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i got 50+ mbps LTE with unlimited data for €1 a day off a sim that cost €7 at a convenience store in helsinki

it comes preactivated so you dont need to speak moon language to use it, just pop it in

of which all €7 can be used as credit :xd:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dang that's pretty dope

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

i got 50+ mbps LTE with unlimited data for €1 a day off a sim that cost €7 at a convenience store in helsinki

it comes preactivated so you dont need to speak moon language to use it, just pop it in

of which all €7 can be used as credit :xd:
yea but you had to go to auckland

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
in before onion HP video

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
4g should be enough for anybody!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

there's an entire series of commericals a finnish operator uses to make fun of how bad telecom is in the us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiVMPLYQ0F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cnpbvAJl4
but then you'd rather kill yourself than using that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

but then you'd rather kill yourself than using that

fair point

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
also no tech will help your lovely 4g/5g/6g network if it's over crowded because you are trying to cheap out and use one tower to cover a million people or something

the only reason '4g' was good was because no one else was on the network when it first came out, over time after everyone upgraded their devices to 4g capable it's now terrible again without deploying enough towers for coverage and the cycle starts again

on the other hand even the old 3g/hspa can be great if you have proper network setup eg. multiple towers in an outdoor area with lower frequency band for maximum coverage while hot spots are reinforced with multiple micro cell sites with higher frequency bands for maximum bandwidth, it was amazing to have 5 bars of responsive cellular data even when you are 3 floors underground because someone planned out the building with microcell/repeaters

just look at verizon and how their network still dies when there's an event going on nearby with no extra cellular reinforcement, or microcells, to boost their network even when they have multiple bands going on at the same time

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 23, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao "terrible"

danza you've an absolutely terrible ability to determine any kind of objectivity. not just lack of perspective but so far along the spectrum you literally cannot perceive it at all

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

lmao "terrible"

danza you've an absolutely terrible ability to determine any kind of objectivity. not just lack of perspective but so far along the spectrum you literally cannot perceive it at all
i actually have a pretty lax definition of terrible and for me it means that you literally can not get any calls or data through even though you have full or 5 bars of signal

it used to happen a lot on att's 3g network when iphone first came out where loading anything will just time out and you get an instant 'call failed' when you try to make a call, now it happens on verizon's lte network too when you are in town and there's a crowd nearby

nz actually has better network as in they have pretty good cell site coverage even when you are in the middle of nowhere, but similar thing can still happen like when it's a nice summer day out on new brighton beach and everyone goes there while sharing photos on their phones or what not, the network still dies or get stuffed simply because they didn't bother to add extra capacity in the popular areas

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have never had trouble with my Verizon connectivity in the past 5 years, in fact it far exceeded other cell carriers in term of speed & range, although it was a bit more pricey. I'm a human being redneck who spent most of my life in the mountains though, so really the fact they were wiling to invest in multiple cell towers without government subsidy in an area with extremely low population density (for California) speaks more about them as a company than anything else could, IMO

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

lmao "terrible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I have never had trouble with my Verizon connectivity in the past 5 years, in fact it far exceeded other cell carriers in term of speed & range, although it was a bit more pricey. I'm a human being redneck who spent most of my life in the mountains though, so really the fact they were wiling to invest in multiple cell towers without government subsidy in an area with extremely low population density (for California) speaks more about them as a company than anything else could, IMO

verizon was the only network that worked reliably during katrina

not sure how you know what subsidies verizon has or had tho you loving redneck, but I can assure you over the years Verizon has taken billions of tax dollars for various things, sorry to break it to you :v:

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread