Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

i actually have a pretty lax definition of terrible and for me it means that you literally can not get any calls or data through even though you have full or 5 bars of signal

it used to happen a lot on att's 3g network when iphone first came out where loading anything will just time out and you get an instant 'call failed' when you try to make a call, now it happens on verizon's lte network too when you are in town and there's a crowd nearby

nz actually has better network as in they have pretty good cell site coverage even when you are in the middle of nowhere, but similar thing can still happen like when it's a nice summer day out on new brighton beach and everyone goes there while sharing photos on their phones or what not, the network still dies or get stuffed simply because they didn't bother to add extra capacity in the popular areas

phones gently caress up on the beach because the ocean fucks up the signals and it's a very large network design problem to try to solve for a given area

you don't know what you're talking about in your stupid rants about cellular service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

verizon was the only network that worked reliably during katrina

not sure how you know what subsidies verizon has or had tho you loving redneck, but I can assure you over the years Verizon has taken billions of tax dollars for various things, sorry to break it to you :v:

also landing the onstar contract paid for their initial build-out and its approximately infinity times cheaper to upgrade existing towers from Ng to N+1g than to build out new towers

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pram posted:

my dad works at the spectrum factory

well obviously

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beeftweeter posted:

lte is more than fast enough for 99% of whatever if you don't live in a garbage area

latency could be better but meh

isnt cell network latency mostly limited by your proximity to the tower?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

fairpoint

:barf:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

mishaq posted:

from when i first heard about this poo poo and saw their "demo" it's vaporware as gently caress

the guy behind it also did OnLive, WebTV and QuickTIme stuff at Apple before that.

it's my hunch that he loves making people skeptical. OnLive got a bunch of press from people saying it was fake. i feel like they're trying to get that "suspicion hype" going again by having these thrown-together demos.

but rest assured there is investment and experience behind it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have at&t and i live across the street from a 3000 capacity music venue and yeah sometimes i get dropped calls when there's a show going on

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

the guy behind it also did OnLive, WebTV and QuickTIme stuff at Apple before that.

it's my hunch that he loves making people skeptical. OnLive got a bunch of press from people saying it was fake. i feel like they're trying to get that "suspicion hype" going again by having these thrown-together demos.

when i think of a list of successful products i think onlive, webtv, and quicktime

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

no, there's a whole bunch of things that introduce latency for packet data in cellular connections

data + mobility is very complex

one of the biggest things LTE changes is treating everything (voice, data) the same unlike all previously technologies

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

when i think of a list of successful products i think onlive, webtv, and quicktime

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

it's vaporware

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mishaq posted:

no, there's a whole bunch of things that introduce latency for packet data in cellular connections

data + mobility is very complex

one of the biggest things LTE changes is treating everything (voice, data) the same unlike all previously technologies

im guessing error checking slows it quite a bit

i guess vop thru air is still like 75% of light in a vacuum so not huge

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm honestly surprised anyone cares about call drops/quality any more because virtually nobody uses smartphones to make actual phone calls

a lot of people actively discourage others from calling in favor of texting

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i literally hate phone calls ityool2016 primarily because call quality is 10% of what it was ityool1996

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

i literally hate phone calls ityool2016 primarily because call quality is 10% of what it was ityool1996

You need to get on Tmobile the best network where call clarity is Actually Good

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

WebTV was bought by microsoft for $500 million. it actually lasted as MSN TV until 2013 (with tech support available until 2014). i know this because i know someone in support and apparently it was used by old people.

onlive was the first video game streaming service and lasted 5 years. however it was run terribly by Perlman (Artemis guy) and could have done a lot better. he tried to get exclusive games, and even though he got them, he flipped out over Gaikai having demos of those exclusive games (which were just to sell physical copies of games, not streaming ones) so he dropped their exclusive games lol. also they used way too much rendering power for things like menus, which were amazing, but wasteful.

the other thing is, he didn't set a marketing budget at OnLive. why? i think because he's like donald trump in that he thinks he can manipulate the media into giving him press for free. at the time OnLive seemed unbelievable, so there was lots of press saying it was actually impossible. but this was akin to a headline saying "new service is unbelievable!" same strategy here.

mishaq posted:

it's vaporware

that is likely what Artemis wants you to think.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

PleasureKevin posted:

that is likely what Artemis wants you to think.

put your vc money where your mouth is

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Puppet Master posted:

put your vc money where your mouth is

they don't need investors, they need partners to deploy and test the tech. they most likely have all the money they need through Rearden.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

lol how can one dude fail so hard

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

lol how can one dude fail so hard

he says, without irony

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

phones gently caress up on the beach because the ocean fucks up the signals and it's a very large network design problem to try to solve for a given area

you don't know what you're talking about in your stupid rants about cellular service
thanks for that and that's good to know

but could that also cause connection time out or dead service even when it shows I'm having 4-5 bars of lte but with a known crowd nearby?

I even checked the frequency band on the phone showing that I was on Verizon's 700mhz lte band 13 and that's when the connection dies

occasionally it would hop onto Verizon's aws band/band 4 and everything would work again but only with like 1 bar of band 4 signal, then it drops to band 13 again with good signal but no service again

this wasn't at the beach and was just in the city, maybe it's like what you said that there are more multipath propagation with buildings and the longer reaching 700mhz band just made it worse? but how would you mitigate that without building more towers or not trying to cover a ton of people with one site?

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 23, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

UK operator known as EE has 4G, Double Speed 4G and 4G+. Which of those last two is faster? Who knows

trick question, the fastest thing is the bill increase letters

b h m
Feb 13, 2016

5g is texting your bff who is in the same room as you
5g is +1ing a beyonce instagram
5g is netflix and chill
5g is different for everyone, what does 5g mean to you?

Feb 24, 2013

b h m posted:

5g is texting your bff who is in the same room as you
5g is +1ing a beyonce instagram
5g is netflix and chill
5g is different for everyone, what does 5g mean to you?

5g is an unobtainable sum of money

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

5g varies from extremely uncomfortable to deadly, depending on the vector

pram
Jun 10, 2001
5g fucktard

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Bloody posted:

also landing the onstar contract paid for their initial build-out and its approximately infinity times cheaper to upgrade existing towers from Ng to N+1g than to build out new towers

yeah I was about to say if 5g does save on towers, it'll probably be one of the faster upgrades rolled out

they'll probably find a way to charge you extra for it too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
retarden

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

5g fucktard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

im guessing error checking slows it quite a bit

i guess vop thru air is still like 75% of light in a vacuum so not huge

it's not like you go directly from the network equipment at the base of a cell phone tower directly out to the Internet, there's a bunch of poo poo in between in the core network

your IP sessions in anchored at a specific router because the network has to deal with the fact that you're moving

pre-lte the communication within the cellular core network wasn't IP, so all your data traffic was getting encapsulated

data connections in the 3G world all process through radio access network controllers, because the base stations are really dumb

LTE changes all that, 100% of the radio network decisions and control is at each tower, and it's IP from the tower all throughout the core

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

thanks for that and that's good to know

but could that also cause connection time out or dead service even when it shows I'm having 4-5 bars of lte but with a known crowd nearby?

I even checked the frequency band on the phone showing that I was on Verizon's 700mhz lte band 13 and that's when the connection dies

occasionally it would hop onto Verizon's aws band/band 4 and everything would work again but only with like 1 bar of band 4 signal, then it drops to band 13 again with good signal but no service again

this wasn't at the beach and was just in the city, maybe it's like what you said that there are more multipath propagation with buildings and the longer reaching 700mhz band just made it worse? but how would you mitigate that without building more towers or not trying to cover a ton of people with one site?

why are you checking what band your phone is currently using

that means you're either running your iPhone in diagnostics mode so you've got a severe case of the 'tism, or you're doing some android fuckery so you've got a fatal case of 'tism induced poverty

even i never do that and i deal with telecom for a living

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

when i was in miami beach last month my phone on AT&T had great service while my gf's on t-mo didn't work at all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Panty Saluter posted:

yeah but it's still rare for me to have more than ~60 ms to a fast server

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am aware of my cellphone ping times

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Bloody posted:

i am aware of my cellphone ping times

my autism demands i speedtest my connection whenever i'm bored in a new area

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have ever even considered speed testing my cellphone

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this new 5g fucktard thread is nice i like it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beeftweeter posted:

my autism demands i speedtest my connection whenever i'm bored in a new area

same!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

one weird thing i noticed is that i think t-mobile might exempt the speedtest.net app because it uses like 200 mb of data on lte and my cap for them is 250 mb (its their free tablet plan).

then again other poo poo doesn't seem to change the meter that's built in on ios (under "manage account") so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

why are you checking what band your phone is currently using

that means you're either running your iPhone in diagnostics mode so you've got a severe case of the 'tism, or you're doing some android fuckery so you've got a fatal case of 'tism induced poverty

even i never do that and i deal with telecom for a living
eh I only notice it because when I try to send like a photo on iMessage when I'm in a crowded area but with good signal it just heats up the phone get stuck on the last bit of 'sending'

so I check the band out of curiosity and it shows band 13, and toggling the airplane mode lets the phone get onto band 4 and everything goes through again but the phone only shows one to two bars of signal

eventually it automatically switches back to band 13 with great signal but everything are timing out again

every loving time

• Locked thread