Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

there's an entire series of commericals a finnish operator uses to make fun of how bad telecom is in the us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiVMPLYQ0F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6cnpbvAJl4
but then you'd rather kill yourself than using that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
also no tech will help your lovely 4g/5g/6g network if it's over crowded because you are trying to cheap out and use one tower to cover a million people or something

the only reason '4g' was good was because no one else was on the network when it first came out, over time after everyone upgraded their devices to 4g capable it's now terrible again without deploying enough towers for coverage and the cycle starts again

on the other hand even the old 3g/hspa can be great if you have proper network setup eg. multiple towers in an outdoor area with lower frequency band for maximum coverage while hot spots are reinforced with multiple micro cell sites with higher frequency bands for maximum bandwidth, it was amazing to have 5 bars of responsive cellular data even when you are 3 floors underground because someone planned out the building with microcell/repeaters

just look at verizon and how their network still dies when there's an event going on nearby with no extra cellular reinforcement, or microcells, to boost their network even when they have multiple bands going on at the same time

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 23, 2016

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

lmao "terrible"

danza you've an absolutely terrible ability to determine any kind of objectivity. not just lack of perspective but so far along the spectrum you literally cannot perceive it at all
i actually have a pretty lax definition of terrible and for me it means that you literally can not get any calls or data through even though you have full or 5 bars of signal

it used to happen a lot on att's 3g network when iphone first came out where loading anything will just time out and you get an instant 'call failed' when you try to make a call, now it happens on verizon's lte network too when you are in town and there's a crowd nearby

nz actually has better network as in they have pretty good cell site coverage even when you are in the middle of nowhere, but similar thing can still happen like when it's a nice summer day out on new brighton beach and everyone goes there while sharing photos on their phones or what not, the network still dies or get stuffed simply because they didn't bother to add extra capacity in the popular areas

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

phones gently caress up on the beach because the ocean fucks up the signals and it's a very large network design problem to try to solve for a given area

you don't know what you're talking about in your stupid rants about cellular service
thanks for that and that's good to know

but could that also cause connection time out or dead service even when it shows I'm having 4-5 bars of lte but with a known crowd nearby?

I even checked the frequency band on the phone showing that I was on Verizon's 700mhz lte band 13 and that's when the connection dies

occasionally it would hop onto Verizon's aws band/band 4 and everything would work again but only with like 1 bar of band 4 signal, then it drops to band 13 again with good signal but no service again

this wasn't at the beach and was just in the city, maybe it's like what you said that there are more multipath propagation with buildings and the longer reaching 700mhz band just made it worse? but how would you mitigate that without building more towers or not trying to cover a ton of people with one site?

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 23, 2016

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

why are you checking what band your phone is currently using

that means you're either running your iPhone in diagnostics mode so you've got a severe case of the 'tism, or you're doing some android fuckery so you've got a fatal case of 'tism induced poverty

even i never do that and i deal with telecom for a living
eh I only notice it because when I try to send like a photo on iMessage when I'm in a crowded area but with good signal it just heats up the phone get stuck on the last bit of 'sending'

so I check the band out of curiosity and it shows band 13, and toggling the airplane mode lets the phone get onto band 4 and everything goes through again but the phone only shows one to two bars of signal

eventually it automatically switches back to band 13 with great signal but everything are timing out again

every loving time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

sounds like your phone and carrier are pieces of poo poo
mlyp

or every other carrier and phones basically, some are just a bit less bad than others

• Locked thread