Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Problem description: While playing a game on Steam, my screen filled up with colored speckles and then froze with rainbow beachball cursor. I could not force quit and eventually shut down the computer. Upon rebooting, the startup screen was marked with colored stripes (picture below). The startup bar filled partway, and then the computer went to a blank white screen and stayed there. This has happened on every non-Safe Boot attempt to restart since then.

Attempted fixes: Removed peripherals. Removed and reattached power cord. Zapped NVRAM. Attempted to start Apple Hardware Test (no result). I don't have another boot disk so I can't try booting from something else. Using Safe Boot works, but the screen is still marked with colored stripes.

Recent changes: None.

Operating System: OS X Yosemite (10.10.4).

System Specs: Straight off the shelf 2009 27" iMac. Intel Core Duo processors, 4 GB RAM, ATI 4750 Radeon graphics. (Yeah, no, I am not a power user.) Had a hard drive failure shortly after buying it in 2010 and it was replaced, but other than that there have been no changes or modifications. Only peripherals used are a Logitech wired mouse and a Western Digital 1 TB external HD, the latter used for Time Machine backups. I have used both of them for years with no issues.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

I'm already suspecting that my video card is dying and it's time to lube up my wallet, but if anyone has any other insights or suggestions before I drag my machine to the Apple Store I'd be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
What happens on a safe boot? Do the stripes still appear?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Pell posted:

What happens on a safe boot? Do the stripes still appear?

Yes. It's the same thing as with a regular boot, except that instead of going to the white screen it goes (slowly) to login and thence to my regular desktop. However, the stripes are still visible on the screen at all times.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Thats the video card.

Player One
Feb 29, 2016
Bit late to the party but if you have a second mac floating around you can connect them (thunderbolt or ethernet) and get files off it with target disk mode

• Locked thread