Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the caucuses?
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Marco Rubio
Donald Trump
Jeb, somehow
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On Tuesday, February 23 the Republican party will hold precinct caucuses in the state of Nevada, beginning sometime between 8pm ET (5pm PT, local) and midnight ET (9pm PT, local).

WHERE CAN I WATCH THIS?

http://www.c-span.org/ will have coverage throughout the night

In addition, these streaming sites often show the cable networks, which will be covering it.

http://www.livenewschat.eu/
http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/us/
http://www.hulkusc.com/

Please suggest in the thread any other streams.

RESULTS

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/primaries/nevada

http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/

Please suggest other sources.

IRC

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=EU.synirc.net%3A%2B7001&channel=%23Poligoon

REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES

• , Neurosurgeon
  • , Senator from Texas
  • , Governor of Ohio
  • , Senator from Florida
  • , Constitutionally Eligible

REPUBLICAN PROCESS

Voters must be a resident of Nevada and a registered member of the Republican Party. You can register or switch registration at the precinct.

During the caucus, a supporter of each candidate may give a short nominating speech. After the speeches, voting is conducted by secret ballot. Following the voting, the caucus chooses delegates for the county caucuses on March 12. This year, for the first time, delegates to the national convention will be proportionally bound to vote for candidates on the first ballot based on the outcome of the precinct-level voting.

30 delegates are proportionally allocated to Presidential contenders based on the statewide vote. Each candidate receives (candidate's statewide vote) × 30 ÷ (total statewide vote) delegates. Round fractions to the nearest whole number. If there are too few delegates allocated, the candidate nearest the rounding threshold receives the additional delegate. If too many delegates are allocated, the candidate furthest the threshold looses a delegate.

Special crazy Nevada rule: A candidate who drops out between the precinct and state caucuses can choose to do one of three things with their delegates. They can choose to hold them, in which case they remain bound to that candidate on the first ballot at the convention, even though they are no longer contesting the nomination. They can choose to release their delegates, in which case they become unbound. Lastly, they can choose to proportionally reallocate their delegates among the candidates remaining in the race prior to the state convention, based on their results in the precinct caucuses.

Full explanation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I look forward to the demise of Ohio Man and car safety enthusiast, John Kaisch.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How badly would Carson or Kasich have to do in NV for them to drop out before Super Tuesday?

The party is seemingly deciding for Rubio, but it seems like it may be too little, too late if Kasich and Carson are eating up 10-20% of the vote share the that Rubio needs to gain ground on March 1st. Does the party have any leverage on either of them to entice them to drop out sooner rather than later?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

whydirt posted:

How badly would Carson or Kasich have to do in NV for them to drop out before Super Tuesday?

The rumor going around is that Carson's going to drop after NV. He was basically done after SC but didn't want to let down the people they have on the ground in NV, so he decided to stay in a few more days. We'll see.

Carson had $3m in cash last week. Kasich had $1m. Kasich is purposefully skipping NV and focusing on MA and VT. I think he's stubborn enough to stay in for another week, but the idea he'll be able to raise enough cash after coming in 2nd in a couple Super Tuesday states to stay in for MI and OH is delusional.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

The party is seemingly deciding for Rubio, but it seems like it may be too little, too late if Kasich and Carson are eating up 10-20% of the vote share the that Rubio needs to gain ground on March 1st. Does the party have any leverage on either of them to entice them to drop out sooner rather than later?

It sounds like Carson is going to drop out after Nevada.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The 2008 Republican caucus remains a cool reminder on how difficult Nevada is to poll (RCP's average was based on 3 polls):

RCP didn't average their few polls in 2012 (nor are they this year), but again:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I assume if someone sneaked behind Ben Carson and put a pillow up against his head it would entice him to drop out

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Honestly doesn't seem like the results will matter that much. Trump will retain his supporters and Rubio will do well enough to continue to consolidate support.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Good to see Baby Hitler continuing his campaign, he's scrappy and young, and I don't think we'll let his Austrian birth get in the way of Making America Win Again.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it might be kind of interesting to see how different types of precincts vote, is there anywhere i can pull a table of demographic information for the precincts?

if trump does really well (50%+, say) or doesn't win, or if kasich randomly gets a bunch of delegates, or if carson thinks he did so well he just can't drop out after that amazing performance (no idea what %, if any, might elicit that response in his mind) this might have some effect on anything but i feel like it'll barely even register in the narrative as we approach super tuesday

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Joementum posted:

The rumor going around is that Carson's going to drop after NV. He was basically done after SC but didn't want to let down the people they have on the ground in NV, so he decided to stay in a few more days. We'll see.

Carson had $3m in cash last week. Kasich had $1m. Kasich is purposefully skipping NV and focusing on MA and VT. I think he's stubborn enough to stay in for another week, but the idea he'll be able to raise enough cash after coming in 2nd in a couple Super Tuesday states to stay in for MI and OH is delusional.

Is there any plausible motivation left for Kasich at this point besides self-delusion? If NH couldn't put Kasich ahead of Rubio, what can?

Is there something he's getting out of running a losing campaign?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PleasingFungus posted:

Is there any plausible motivation left for Kasich at this point besides self-delusion? If NH couldn't put Kasich ahead of Rubio, what can?

If Rubio fucks up he's the only game left in town. Plus lots of pride and the delusional belief that Rubio will melt down before Kasich is out and that if he did the party would turn to Kasich as their last hope.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm not sure how many times I will post this: Campaigns don't end, they run out of money.

Kasich will stay in until there is no money to keep the lights on.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

I'm not sure how many times I will post this: Campaigns don't end, they run out of money.

Kasich will stay in until there is no money to keep the lights on.

Jeb had millions left when he dropped out, as far as I know.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has revealed he isn’t in love with the caucus system of choosing national convention delegates.

Urging supporters to attend the Nevada caucuses Tuesday, the billionaire real estate mogul said “nobody even knows what it means’

Trump tells thousands of supporters at a pre-caucus day rally Monday evening in Las Vegas, “Forget the word caucus, just go out and vote, OK?”

Trump has repeatedly blamed Iowa’s byzantine caucus system for his second-place finish to rival Ted Cruz in the state. He won the next two states that vote using more traditional primaries.

He said Monday, “The most important thing we can do is - I’m not going to use the word caucus - I’m going to use the word, just vote.”

“I don’t want to give you an excuse. What the hell is caucus? Nobody even knows what it means,” he said.

Trump says he’s planning to visit numerous caucus sites Tuesday and he expects to see his supporters there. He adds, “If you’re not there, I’m going to be so angry. Don’t make me have a miserable evening.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...15f6_story.html

I have similar feelings about caucuses in general.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

PleasingFungus posted:

A million dollars only buys jeb ~250 votes though

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

PleasingFungus posted:

Three scenarios:

1. Kasich is running with the hopes that Rubio will self-destruct. Should the Rubio campaign implode, Kasich is the only remaining standard bearer left for the mainstream;

2. Kasich is running to steal votes away from Rubio in the hopes that the latter is forced to make some kind of grand bargain that Rubio wouldn't ordinarily entertain. Based on his statements, I would bet that Kasich really wants to be the Secretary of State and would probably drop out if Rubio promised him the seat; or,

3. Kasich is running under the assumption that we are heading into a contested convention and he wants to pick up as many delegates as possible to stop Trump and elevate his own status as a Kingmaker. If he can win Ohio, which he has the best chance of pulling off, then Kasich is in a very good position to organize come Cleveland.

EDIT: And I guess you could throw in a fourth scenario, that he's running solely to raise his national profile for something in the future. Kasich is term-limited and, while I doubt he wants to go back to Congress, he's probably not yet done with politics.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Kasich has done just as good as Rubio so far, they both only have 2nd place wins under their belts. If Rubio starts winning states then it will make sense for Kasich to drop out.

If Rubio doesn't win Nevada I don't think he will get the nomination. I don't care how much momentum a candidate has, at some point he needs to win states.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Is Trump the winner yet?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When did Bill Clinton start to win states? I know he had a slow start to his first campaign.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
e: ^^^ Bill Clinton didn't start winning until March 3rd [which I believe was 92's super tuesday or similar]. Even then he was down pretty significantly to Paul Tsongas who had won 5[iirc?] states at that point. He wasn't even very strong in any race until Georgia.

PleasingFungus posted:

Jeb's PAC had $15mil remaining. It's unknown how much Jeb had, but he'd be on life support because no one was giving him anything after SC. He could have soldiered on like Kasich is now [little to no advertising, minimal campaign apparatus] but not many people want to do that.

He ran out of money.

Schnorkles has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Feb 23, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I kinda said this before but I could see Jeb endorsing Kasich if he stays in after Nevada. It's pure conjecture but if I'm remembering right Jeb went on in a debate or two about how the governors do more in terms of leadership and it makes more sense to support another governor of a fairly significant state in terms of at least a possible swing vote (even if Ohio is still likely to go blue from now on). I don't think he likes Rubio or Cruz very much, especially Rubio (and really, no one likes Cruz), so supporting either doesn't make much sense to me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

Jeb's PAC had $15mil remaining. It's unknown how much Jeb had, but he'd be on life support because no one was giving him anything after SC. He could have soldiered on like Kasich is now [little to no advertising, minimal campaign apparatus] but not many people want to do that.

He ran out of money.

Walker syndrome. I'll buy it.

QuoProQuid posted:

3. Kasich is running under the assumption that we are heading into a contested convention and he wants to pick up as many delegates as possible to stop Trump and elevate his own status as a Kingmaker. If he can win Ohio, which he has the best chance of pulling off, then Kasich is in a very good position to organize come Cleveland.

The other scenarios sound relatively reasonable (esp. 2 and 4), but I'm really not sold on this one. Especially as we move into the winner-take-all states, how many delegates is Kasich really going to be able to take?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

PleasingFungus posted:

Walker syndrome. I'll buy it.

The other scenarios sound relatively reasonable (esp. 2 and 4), but I'm really not sold on this one. Especially as we move into the winner-take-all states, how many delegates is Kasich really going to be able to take?

The big prize is Ohio, which is winner-takes-all and hands out 66 delegates. Rubio is not polling well there and Kasich is the only non-Trump candidate who has a chance at taking it. Kasich can also count on some support in Michigan, Illinois, and Vermont where he seems to be polling a strong second/third. Because these states have proportional or hybrid models, he would probably walk out with a good number of delegates if he is able to keep his campaign running.

The issue for the Kasich campaign, one that Joementum has brought up regularly, is money. Unless he gets a new donor soon, Kasich isn't going to have enough money to keep the lights on, let alone compete with the Cruz or Rubio campaigns.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Feb 23, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

QuoProQuid posted:

The issue for the Kasich campaign, one that Joementum has brought up regularly, is money. Unless he gets a new donor soon, Kasich isn't going to have enough money to keep the lights on, let alone compete with the Cruz or Rubio campaigns.

Guys, better buckle up...for Kasich!

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/02/22/john-kasich-picks-up-another-billionaire-backer-julian-robertson/

quote:

RICHMOND, Va. — Gov. John Kasich’s campaign said on Monday that it had gained another billionaire supporter: the hedge fund titan Julian H. Robertson Jr.

Mr. Robertson, who founded Tiger Management, will help raise money for the campaign, Chris Schrimpf, a spokesman for Mr. Kasich, said. On Sunday, the Ohio governor’s campaign said it had won the support of another billionaire investor, Stanley F. Druckenmiller.

“We are really seeing a good response from donors who know that Governor Kasich is the party’s best choice not just to win in November but to actually run the country,” Mr. Schrimpf said on Monday, which Mr. Kasich spent campaigning in Virginia.

Since Saturday’s South Carolina primary, in which Mr. Kasich finished fifth, his campaign has rolled out a flurry of new donors and endorsements in an effort to show the viability of his campaign.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
http://forums.talkingpointsmemo.com/t/discussion-cnn-bans-trump-ally-roger-stone-from-network/33356

Oh, Roger. Apparently personal insults against broadcasters is too much, but his holocaust denial and "Jews did 9/11" theory were just fine.

Whoops wrong thread. Still funny.

Oiled and Ready has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Does the Nevada Republican caucus work in the same way that the Iowa Republican caucus does? That is, do a bunch of people crowd into a room and write down on a slip of paper their preferred candidate, which is then counted by hand?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope everybody votes for Jeb as a troll so he thinks,"If I'd just held on one more week....:cripes:"

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A Republican official just confirmed that 37,000 people have pre-registered for the Nevada caucus tonight, which is more than the total turnout of the 2012 caucus.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/702238990577995776

E: Beaten!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

oh my god it's going to be a disaster

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trump is going to clean house. Always bet on Trump.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The big winner tonight will be Mitt Romney, somehow. Nevada voters stick to their guns.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Why do people suddenly think if Carson drops out his voters will go to Rubio?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jeb finally doing as well as trump, at least in this thread poll.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Pleasant Friend posted:

sleepy man --> robot seems more of a natural progression than sleepy man --> human-shaped sewage

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pleasant Friend posted:

That actually confuses me too, are there polls suggesting this? Trump has made a point of being buddy-buddy with Carson and I'd fully expect his (very small amount of) voters to go to Trump before they went to anyone else.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Foo posted:

Does the Nevada Republican caucus work in the same way that the Iowa Republican caucus does? That is, do a bunch of people crowd into a room and write down on a slip of paper their preferred candidate, which is then counted by hand?

Yes. And with record turnout and variable starting times, this will go smooth as butter.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Joementum posted:

Yes. And with record turnout and variable starting times, this will go smooth as butter.

I respect and agree with your position that caucuses own, but can we also agree that they suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that the reporting system is to have local officials take pictures of their precinct's tally sheet with a smartphone and send those to GOP state officials, which I'm sure will work very smoothly.

• Locked thread