Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the caucuses?
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
John Kasich
Marco Rubio
Donald Trump
Jeb, somehow
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Yes. And with record turnout and variable starting times, this will go smooth as butter.

do you think the DNC is making GBS threads its pants because of the record turnouts so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Neurotic Jew posted:

do you think the DNC is making GBS threads its pants because of the record turnouts so far?

Yes.

Or maybe they're not because they're being as stupid as the DNC normally is, but they should be worried.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Wasn't the 2012 turnout really low because it was the first time they'd held a caucus in Nevada?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm laughing at the poll button being "Vote!" with an exclamation point. This forum has broken me

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brannock posted:

Wasn't the 2012 turnout really low because it was the first time they'd held a caucus in Nevada?

No, they did it in 2008 as well. Both times have been a disaster, though that was partly due to Ron Paul.

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/702153147817394176

Hence the thread title.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Yes. And with record turnout and variable starting times, this will go smooth as butter.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Glad I live in Hawaii. While all you suckers will be in bed or staying up I'll be watching tonight's poo poo show in prime time

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Luckily I stay up until 2am every night.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
This caucus is going to be a disaster.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

This caucus is going to be a disaster.

Imagine if it takes several days to shake out all the results, while at the same time it's obvious Trump won it in a blowout - allowing him to dominate the media cycle for days on end yet again

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Slate Action posted:

Imagine if it takes several days to shake out all the results, while at the same time it's obvious Trump won it in a blowout - allowing him to dominate the media cycle for days on end yet again

Yeah they'll most likely call it early for Trump(if the polling is close to correct) and the slap fight for second will carry into the debate.

That's the dream.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Oiled and Ready posted:

http://forums.talkingpointsmemo.com/t/discussion-cnn-bans-trump-ally-roger-stone-from-network/33356

Oh, Roger. Apparently personal insults against broadcasters is too much, but his holocaust denial and "Jews did 9/11" theory were just fine.

Whoops wrong thread. Still funny.

well at least he's not wrong about ana navarro being dumb as gently caress

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Caucuses make me feel like a complete idiota. I have read and watched so many explanations that try to simplify it or use metaphors or turn it into a simplified graphical representation, but I just CANNOT get it beyond the very basics. Is there one anybody can recommend? If I had to take a test on it right now I'd be lucky to get a D minus, so a beginner's guide is fine. I guess Nevada's if it's gotta be State-specific.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Rocks posted:

Glad I live in Hawaii. While all you suckers will be in bed or staying up I'll be watching tonight's poo poo show in prime time

Yeah but we get to wake up in the morning and get greeted with juicy GOP results over our morning coffee.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This caucus is going to own I am making brisket and watching cnn in the rain

Darth Windu has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Feb 24, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Living in the Pacific timezone will probably be enough to see it get called for Trump.

Montasque posted:

Yeah they'll most likely call it early for Trump(if the polling is close to correct) and the slap fight for second will carry into the debate.

That's the dream.

A decisive Trump win with the rest of the results unknown would be pretty great for Trump, because that'd mean that he'd be the only one with a narrative for the next few days of media coverage. They can't keep doing the Rubementum, declare-victory-from 2nd/3rd/5th thing if they don't know what position he landed yet. And isn't Rubio skipping the after-party anyway? So he won't even be in place to give some kind of speech, while Trump's up there dishing up a third consecutive victory.

I mean this is assuming that the chaos of the caucus system or under/overperforming polls doesn't knock Trump out of the top spot, but if they don't, he's going to have a hell of a lot of momentum going into Super Tuesday. Even that last debate is probably a bigger danger to Rubio than anyone else since everyone'll be looking to force another glitch moment and he can't just blend into the scenery anymore.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Every state should be a caucus state, let freedom ring from west coast to east!

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Why don't the networks seem to be covering this in the same way they've been covering all the /primaries? CNN is even doing a town hall at 8 so presumably won't even be discussing any results until 10. Is it just because they all know there will be nothing to report for a while?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Mr. Boogie posted:

Why don't the networks seem to be covering this in the same way they've been covering all the /primaries? CNN is even doing a town hall at 8 so presumably won't even be discussing any results until 10. Is it just because they all know there will be nothing to report for a while?

Even if they wanted to they probably wont start reporting until midnight Eastern since some of the caucuses may still be going.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Caucuses make me feel like a complete idiota. I have read and watched so many explanations that try to simplify it or use metaphors or turn it into a simplified graphical representation, but I just CANNOT get it beyond the very basics. Is there one anybody can recommend? If I had to take a test on it right now I'd be lucky to get a D minus, so a beginner's guide is fine. I guess Nevada's if it's gotta be State-specific.

http://www.nevadagopcaucus.org/what-are-caucuses-.html

4. What happens at a Republican caucus?

If you will be attending your first caucus and aren’t sure how it works, don’t worry, many of your fellow Republican caucus goers will be attending their first caucus too. Fortunately, Republican caucuses are simple and easy to understand.

All Republican caucuses in Nevada will start between 5:00pm and 7:00pm on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016. At that time you will sign in with a local Republican volunteer who will verify that you are a registered Republican. A government issued photo I.D. is required.

The caucus will begin by electing a caucus chair and secretary. These two people will be in charge of running the precinct caucus. Generally the local county volunteers that called the meeting to order are elected by voice vote. After that, there will be an election of delegates and alternate delegates from your precinct caucus to the County Convention in the spring. Delegates have the right to vote at the County Convention. And each delegate has an alternate delegate who will vote in their place in case they are unable to attend the County Convention.

Each precinct caucus will be allocated a certain number of delegates and alternates. Anyone may run as a delegate or as an alternate delegate, and the individuals that receive the most votes are elected to represent the precinct at the county convention. Most people vote for delegates and alternate delegates that support the same candidate that they do. It’s the most important part of the caucus and we’ll explain why a little later.

After that, the caucus chair will ask if anyone wants to submit, in writing, an issue to be considered in the county platform. The platform is a document that expresses the beliefs and values of the county party. Issues submitted at the precinct caucus are debated and voted on at the county convention in March, and those that pass become part of the official county platform.

Once all platform issues have been submitted, the caucus chair will ask one person supporting each Republican candidate to stand up and briefly tell everyone attending why they should support their candidate.

After each of the short speeches, we will all cast our vote in the Presidential Preference Poll using paper ballots.

For most precincts, the whole process takes about 30-60 minutes. All meetings will end by 9:00pm.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Is this the vote where all the precincts have to take a photo of the ballot papers and email them to the state GOP chair to get counted? Should work out great.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zoran posted:

I respect and agree with your position that caucuses own, but can we also agree that they suck?

Caucuses own as long as you don't live in a caucus state

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jewel Repetition posted:

:hfive:

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Caucuses own as long as you don't live in a caucus state

Nah it's actually a lot of fun, I'm excited for super Tuesday caucusing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm upset the Republican caucuses are just normal votes.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Is it over yet? I'm really not into this tonight.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Trump wins

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
msnbc reporters are so aghast at trumps rally attitude and their treatment of the press

you idiots brought this on yourselves

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/ianm_whitaker/status/702299063568314368
https://twitter.com/seanw801/status/702298759410024448
https://twitter.com/GerardNews3LV/status/702298578773872640

Let the games begin..

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

msnbc reporters are so aghast at trumps rally attitude and their treatment of the press

you idiots brought this on yourselves

Somebody in the press is going to get their face rearranged at a Trump general election rally when they push the crowd too far

Trump will see his numbers in the polls go up 10 in the aftermath and all future Trump events will be filmed by drone

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

CubsWoo posted:

Somebody in the press is going to get their face rearranged at a Trump general election rally when they push the crowd too far

Trump will see his numbers in the polls go up 10 in the aftermath and all future Trump events will be filmed by drone

chris hayes literally melting down right now

"HE CAN SAY ANYTHING! ANYTHING!"

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

when do we start to see results coming in? where do we see them? CNN is all just town hall stuff, even Twitter isn't helpful

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
has msnbc been melting down like this since new hampshire? Goddamn this is tasty :buddy:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Rocks posted:

when do we start to see results coming in? where do we see them? CNN is all just town hall stuff, even Twitter isn't helpful

That's a very good question. I mean it'll be midnight ET at the latest but I'm not sure whether they report before polls close.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/reveal/status/702301463121416192

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I live in the same time zone as Nevada.

:getin:

Either my liver will give out or I will see this through. [at least until the caucus closes]

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rocks posted:

it's a big enough clusterfuck that no one really knows

should be amusing when some officials think they're supposed to report numbers to the media and others refuse to

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/702302119005556736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Home from work and ready to rockus with my caucus out. Bring on the Trumpocalypse!

• Locked thread