Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

double nine posted:

So this annoys me: Batman's whole shtick is supposed to be non-lethal - he'll break every bone in your body but you'll live. Whether you want to is another matter entirely.

But those are rockets your vehicle fires, as in explosives and death and carnage and good old ultra-violence. There is no way you don't kill dozens of people this way yet the narrative still tries to shove the bullshit "no kills" down your throat like it's the latest treat. It pisses me off - go non-lethal or just forget the whole "no kills" and go full-hog murder. This middle ground is just annoying.

All of the enemy tanks are robot drones. Oracle specifically says so when you first encounter them.

Yes, it's stupid, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's just like Deus Ex, where you could deal with people using a non-lethal weapon then chuck their unconscious body face down in the water or into a room full of poison gas and all was still fine.

I mean, they were alive when you neutralized them, so everything else doesn't count.

DXHR had something similar, if you knocked someone out but they didn't land right or something happened to their body afterwards they'd be flagged as dead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Depending on the state it also might be sorta-legal for children under the driving age to operate motor vehicles to assist with farming related duties and the like. And even if it's not legal "My child was driving my vehicle on my private land" is enough of a compelling argument to dissuade prosecution.

I know my dad had me drive my grandma's truck when I was old enough to reach the pedals... it did not go well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

A Death of Superman game, where you play all four of the replacements, would be great.

Although that'd just be Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions.

There...was one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_and_Return_of_Superman

e: update on the bottom of the last page

dscruffy1 posted:

Fun fact: they're called Slam Rounds in game!

Anyway it's time to start getting busy (doing sidequests)

A Busy Night/Polsy

New profiles: The Riddler, Jack Ryder, Lucius Fox

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He's saying "Gothamites"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FicusArt posted:

Batman like, always comes across as more distractingly infallible than Superman to me. Cause he's super prone to being written as unquestionably stronger than Superheroes, often with other heroes being written as idiots.

Like a badly written Superman story is just a boring story about superman being an dumb unstoppable beat stick, but badly written Batman story will be about like, how everyone, including like all of the Justice League, loves and fears this jerk with expensive toys who is openly hostile to everyone else, and also all of the other superheroes are idiots and if only batman had their powers he'd use them right.

And then occasionally you get something like this. Mostly because Paul Dini really really understood how to do superman and batman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can't find a better quality version than this but.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

All Star Superman's a pretty excellent one. Compare that with All Star Batman.

All Star Superman is an homage to Superman's campier poo poo, and ends with him forcing Luthor to realize that he's been blaming superman for his own self imposed problems shortly before dying.

All Star Batman is Frank Miller being Frank Miller and turns Batman into the best superhero in the world by making everyone else terrible at their jobs. For instance, Superman can fly, he's still in his "Tall Buildings In A Single Bound" phase, Batman, somehow, knows that he can, and also has Kryptonite even though no one else in the world even knows what kryptonite is or that it affects superman in any way. He's basically Tower of Babel Batman without any justification for how he has that knowledge. Also he swears a lot and does everything but kill people because the Police are universally corrupt (Save Gordon) and the only way to stop crime is to break all of crime's bones.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JT Jag posted:

"What would Mom and Dad have thought about this?" :colbert:

"They would have loved it here."
"Who?"
"Mom and dad."
"Just drive."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

All Star Batman does have that hilarious bit where Batman meets with Green Lantern, wearing a yellow batsuit while Robin frantically tries to finish painting the last bit of the room yellow and offering GL a drink of lemonaid.

Superman: Birthright's another good one. But I was always the kid that preferred Supes over Bats from the start. For one thing, only one of them helped to destroy the KKK in the actual, non-comic, real world.

The yellow room is basically the only good part of the comic, and then Miller's hindbrain reasserts itself so Robin crushes his loving windpipe and Batman manages to Trach him with a steak knife and a straw.

Superman: Secret Identity is good but for different reasons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thesaya posted:

I am guessing that there was a reason for painting everything yellow?

To go into a little more detail. The green lanterns are powered by willpower, as long as they have the strength of will and presence of mind they can use their rings to do basically anything they want. So when you're a nigh invincible superman with the ability to do anything your mind wants, you don't really have a concept of fear. And yellow is the Color of fear (Also included in the emotional spectrum is Red Rage, Orange Avarice, Blue Hope, Indigo Compassion, and Violet Love: Collect the whole set!) You can overcome fear with sufficient willpower, so a while back the Guardians of the Lanterns imprisoned Parallax, the embodiment of all emotional fear, within the Power Battery that fuels all green lanterns. This weakened fear as a whole but also made the Green Lanterns unable to affect or protect themselves against Yellow Objects.

Eventually Parallax escaped, and also the Green Lanterns of earth figured out that the guardian's policy of "hide it away and hope it doesn't come back to bite us" didn't work so they started training the rest of the Corps to accept and deal with their fears, allowing them to deal with Sinestro's yellow lanterns.

anilEhilated posted:

Nightwing is busy elsewhere. IIRC he was in AC so this is apparently a continuity where both of them are still around.

He hangs out in Bludhaven, though I do believe he comes around later in this game. They probably have her dating Tim because in this continuity Tim is Older and Barbara is younger than they normally are.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

hard counter posted:

Yes - and to be honest even though it's kind of a grating characterization the comics worked decades for that development (both intentionally and unintentionally). From the 80s on Bats went from being a relatively normal hero with some obsessive compulsive tendencies to being a right rear end in a top hat (I think Morrison fixed him a couple years ago though). Bats slowly became darker and meaner after suffering through a venom addiction, losing a robin, a batgirl, getting his back broken, having Gotham face a major earthquake then a contagion back-to-back, getting framed for murder and so on and so on. By the end of it all he was a rather loathsome person.

Though to be fair the Non-Origins Arkham games were written by Paul Dini, and his Batman tends to be pretty good to his allies.
There are (spoiler) reasons why he might be a bit gruffer and dismissive, particularly towards Robin getting involved at the moment.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm not talking about the diegetic explanation. I'm talking about why, exactly, the writers decided to put Tim & Barbara together when they could have probably had Dick instead. They could have had Nightwing showin up in Robin's place if they'd wanted.

Like I mentioned earlier, in this continuity not only is Tim Drake older in comparison to Grayson, Barbara is younger. So it makes more sense for them to hook up. Also like someone else said, Nightwing had already left by the time Barbara became Batgirl.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I know there's not gonna be a Lego Batman skin and that makes me sad because Lego Movie Batman was the best movie Batman.

One of the best parts about Lego Dimensions is when Lego Batman starts interacting with Lego Movie Batman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Toes posted:

I'm recalling this from the Justice League cartoon, but wasn't his plan simply to disable, and not to kill, the other members? I'm pretty sure it was a secret there too but it was revealed to the others which is what caused a shitstorm.

I can't remember if the justice league cartoon did this, I do know Justice League: Doom did, and it had a pretty great exchange.

"With all that talk about unchecked power, you're still so arrogant you didn't bother to come up with a plan to stop yourself?"
"I do have a plan, it's called the Justice League."

It also has Superman tacitly approving of Batman's tactics while disapproving of his methods.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I personally like the Harley/Ivy thing, along with the way she was portrayed in some of the more recent comics without Joker around, where she actually gets some positive relationships with other people. There was one where she visited someone in the hospital after they had kids? It might have been the injustice comic?

Yeah that was Injustice Harley, she gets a lot of development because her Joker is dead and she mostly goes through the motions of being evil but stops fighting once she realizes that Black Canary is pregnant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'd say "Batman Beyond Batmobile" but that would just involve flying over the course ignoring obstacles because it's a loving jet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I'd love to see an Arkham Beyond game, but that particular universe is probably forgotten and as such bad marketing.

Well a Batman Beyond skin was one of the advertised pre-order bonuses, but IIRC it was less "Skin tight bodysuit that's offputing when rendered photorealistically" and more like the Christopher Nolan batsuit on steroids.

But at least they're still aware of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

From what I heard Arleen Sorkin was the one who wanted out, doing Harley was hard on her voice and she was already cracking at parts in Arkham City.

Veotax posted:

Man, the Batman Beyond skin for this game is terrible. Pretty much all the other skins are as far as I know pretty faithful recreations, but Rocksteady decided to put their own 'spin' on the Beyond suit.

What is this garbage?

I like it better than the Beyond suit from City, which just looked weird with Bruce's bulging musculature.

It probably shouldn't be flagged as the Batman beyond suit, but independent of that I like the design.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 2, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes but in Beyond's art style you couldn't count the muscles on his torso or see the veins on his arms.

It looks more like Bruce got hit by the Venom Symbiote than he's wearing a costume, and something just seems... off, about his head, like it's slightly too big? I don't know. If I were them I would have smoothed out the muscle definition some and gotten rid of that weird hexagon pattern they've got going on too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upF7buAngDU

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 2, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

First time Bruce froze her, second time she got distracted by the guy she inqued, third time her daughter injected her with a solvent, fourth time Superman splattered her into chunks. So, he's beat her on his own exactly never.

That's one of the things I liked about Beyond, even though he was strong enough to benchpress an armored car, so were half of the people he fought, requiring him to think his way out of fights. Still Terry killed a lot of people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Arkham Knight is actually an elaborate robot being controlled by Batman's Zur-En-Ahh persona via a remote control in his left hand.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This game leans pretty damned hard on Comic Book Science but I do like how the handle the Joker in this.

And yeah once the pipes started bursting and the Scarecrow didn't immediately stab Batman in the face Bruce should've realized something was up.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm glad even while dead the joker can manage to take over a story (or maybe he doesn't i don't know really)

:unsmigghh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Omobono posted:

On the other hand, Bats fearing the Joker? Every single time he was exposed to the toxin in Asylum he fought it off, to the point Scarecrow was actually scared. Bats doesn't fear villains, that's like half the point of Batman.

He doesn't fear the Joker, there's something... different going on. It requires you to accept one pretty dumb leap of scientific logic but as long as you're willing to do that we're getting one last good performance out of Hammil.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 5, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite batman vs batman w/batman bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I thought so too, but this game actually mostly uses him pretty well (unlike Origins where he pretty much destroys the story).

I think that's because whoever wrote Origin's Joker fundamentally misunderstood the way the joker worked in The Dark Knight. Ledger's joker really didn't care about Batman specifically, he wanted to prove that everyone was scum, that deep down everyone was corruptable, and if he managed to bring Batman down to his level it would plunge Gotham into chaos. You got a sense that the Joker existed prior to Batman and would have gone on doing poo poo after him. But Origin's Joker seemed to congeal fully formed around one idea "I will get Batman to kill someone." and then forced the plot to also revolve around that point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Yep, Joker's interest in Batman starts with Batman saving Joker's life, even after Joker has killed countless people already. The cutscene where Joker is baffled and angry about being saved, where he has a perfect chance to shoot Batman in the head but doesn't because his obsession has just begun, that is my favorite cutscene of this entire game series. I don't like that Joker invaded the plot of Origins when we were promised a Black Mask story, but to their credit, they did Joker very well.

Bah, that's what I get for posting without double-checking. Ignore me then, I still hate Origins.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is a human prion disorder, meaning that the Joker Infection is Mad Clown Disease. I'm betting the writers couldn't avoid allowing themselves that little pun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Probably the best part of that whole ordeal is that a loving Serial Killer refused to play ball with Waller because what she was doing was so profoundly hosed up. Even if Bruce was the gene donor he wasn't Terry's father, and that's what matters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Your links are still pointing at Episode 7.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, no, he was in a coma for a year and that cured his Psychosis so he started farming himself out as a PI, mostly for villains who had been framed for crimes they didn't commit. Then when someone decided that he needed to be a villain again he was slightly too close to a bomb blast and the concussion turned his riddle psychosis back on.

Because that's how brains work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Things the batsuit will never have:

1)Anti gas.
2) anti hypno/illusion.*

*Comic book science says that video and audio feed/recordings can still get you. Maybe. Depends on the writer. and the power level of the hypno/illusion guy. Same thing with magic based hypno/illusions.

Batman Beyond has you covered

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Frank Miller's Batman murdered a whole bunch of people unless he was trying to make a sanctimonious point, but once he was done he went back to murdering.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Holy Terror is basically an object lesson that Frank Miller is a gigantic racist and doesn't understand why Dark Knight Returns or Sin City were good. I'm still amazed that they're releasing a third dark knight series. I am not, however, surprised that it's looking to be super racist.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Nah, Deadpool was originally a grim and gritty copy of Deathstroke. It wasn't until later writers made him funny that Deadpool was decent.

Wasn't there an issue of Batman/Superman where a guy dressed like Deathstroke was trying to kill bruce/Clark on a cruise ship, and kept breaking the fourth wall and talking to the narrator, but when someone asked him his name he only got as far as "Dea" before he was interrupted?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, here's something:

Miller's already planning on a fourth.

What's left? Batman ascends to godhood and spends 8 issues beating up/making GBS threads on the other superheroes while ranting about how awesome he is and how it's okay to kill people who aren't Americans?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

I can't see Frank Miller writing that because it won't be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

I imagine this and the Circe episode arose fully formed whenever the appropriate writers found out that Kevin Conroy has had musical training.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dunno, he needs to come up with some more material. There's only so many ways he can say "I'm smarter than you neener neener" without getting repetitive.

It is true that Scarecrow got sidelined scarily easily (:v:), but I guess that's open-world-with-a-million-sidequest games for you.

I think the problem with the Riddler in this game is that if he wanted to kill batman, he really could. "Oh he's actually bothering to drive underneath my crushers? (press button) Problem solved, what kind of idiot would actually do that anyway?" Cause there's a certain amount of willful stupidity required of the player to even go into these situations in the first place.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because Batman's the one who let her die. If only he was smart as the absolutely Brilliant Edward J Nigma he would have solved the problem hours ago. How blessed are we to be in the presence of his intellect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Felinoid posted:

If that would work, I guess you can trim it down a bit, but that would (or at least should) probably result in a mistrial if the jury blatantly ignored evidence and an open court confession of guilt. I can't imagine our legal system is so broken that a jury can simply conspire to let a murderer free because they feel like it, without some sort of cover up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

It is possible for Juries to say "Yes this man is guilty but we don't think it's worth punishing him for the crime."

• Locked thread