Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
So, funny story about the follow the blood trail bit. When I was playing, I somehow didn't manage to mark that very first blood splatter, and none of the others nearby count for starting the trail. I didn't know that the first splatter was an objective on its own, of course, and I managed to follow the rest of the blood trail all the way to the rooftop where Scruffy lost the trail for a bit, all without it glowing in Detective Vision. Those thugs on that one rooftop aren't there if you do it like this. I was kind of mad when I went back and found out that I had walked right over the start point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

2) Kiiiind of a dick move that you can hear all that dialog about how this fireman's going to die, they're not actually waiting for a hostage payout or anything (implying more urgency in his rescue), but you still can't actually go and help the guy.

If I remember right, that rescue only has one turret that actually looks towards the goons and firefighter, so you can drop in from above, take that one out, and then fight the goons while trying not to get too close to the edges.

3) Why's he gotta use that explosive gel stuff on a barrier that's literally made out of plywood and scrap 2x4s? I could take that thing out with one good kick.

I think you can just punch those? I don't remember for sure, but I feel like that's what I did.

5) God dammit you have a gun pointed right at his face and you shoot him in the gut instead what the hell is wrong with you. :mad: I know, I know, comic book logic, but come on -- you have fantastic planning right up to the point where you're about to win, and you throw it away for more posturing?

berryjon posted:

And in the Knight's mind (from what we've seen so far), he just doesn't want to kill Batman. He wants to destroy him, which means tearing him down piece by piece first.

We've already seen what's going on here. The Knight does just want to kill Batman, it's Scarecrow who wants to destroy him, and the Knight is taking orders from Scarecrow, so the Knight doesn't just kill Batman.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
One of the nice little touches that this game does quite well is that Stagg's airships are flying above Gotham for the entire game up to this point, moving a bit closer to Founder's Island with every big story beat in the main plot.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I think it's funny the thread was discussing Origin's corpses as decoration thing right before this video, which has a whole bunch of dead scientists just laying around everywhere.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
One thing that helps with taking out more thugs while they're scared is that Batgirl can basically teleport from wherever she is to get to the group, that or I had the luckiest glitch ever. So long as that Takedown prompt is there, you can hit them from wherever.

The thug banter is absolutely top notch for this DLC, and its combat and predator areas are both quite fun. It's a shame it's the only DLC outside of the Season of Infamy with any actual depth to it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I think I had the situation in the Clock Tower you were worried about triggering, and if I remember right there's two different buttons to press at the console to choose either the main mission you just started, or the other thing that brings you there.

And I agree, the next part is my favorite from the game too.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The flashbacks were presented alongside Tim's Robin fighting against goons in life threatening situations. I think it's Batman just worrying about letting Tim die like Jason.

Less Batman worrying on his own and more Joker prompting Batman to worry, but pretty much right. If you go back into the cell a second time, Joker outright says the whole point of the Jason Todd storytime was to make Batman realize that if he lets Robin go out and fight crime, Robin's gonna die like Jason did, which leads to Batman chucking Robin into the cell instead.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I never actually checked, but the sword is probably there starting when Batman takes it from Azrael during their first encounter.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

• Scruffy is a total dick who didn't tell Robin that Oracle was still alive as soon as he found out.

On the other hand, at least he never told Robin that Oracle was "dead" in the first place, so it all evens out really.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
So, that first bomb you did, in the canal? When I did it, one of the drones just went and stopped moving on a bridge above the canal, in an area you can't shoot at from inside the hack zone. It took me a while to figure out it was even up there, and I wasted my weapon energy on an EMP hoping it would unstick it when it rebooted. There's no time-based failsafe or anything either, the hack only finishes when you kill all of the drones, and I had no way to reach this one. Out of desperation, I start poking at the edges of the hack zone, and find out how the game treats leaving the area. Turns out, the Batmobile slows to a crawl and stops moving a couple of meters out of the zone, so you can't even get far enough away to truly be in danger of running out the timer. For my last chance at clearing the encounter, I lined up a full-speed boost at the ramp just outside of the zone, aim from on top of it at the drone, and then miss and get a game over. The second time I ran it, nothing like that happened again, but it is annoying that the game mechanic which is ostensibly hacking the bomb only completes when all of the drones are destroyed, and not based on time. Actually, thinking about it now, I wonder if that was always the case? Every bomb defusing has the Militia sergeant shout angrily once you've taken out the drones, but Batman always talks over him about how the bomb's payload is exposed. It feels like the hack completing and the drones being defeated might have been separate events at one point.

Unrelated to that, the game's biggest crime, beyond the writing and the boss fights and everything else that's been talked to death in the thread, is that the Jokermobile can't be used in normal gameplay. It's the one Batmobile skin that you cannot use, and I hate that.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I actually had the fall-through-the-world glitch happen to me... in Origins. What was really weird is that it was localized to one area, I could still go elsewhere in the city and be fine, and that area would still be broken when I came back. Unfortunately, that area is somewhere I needed to land in to complete the post-game sidequest, so I never did that.

Finishing the firefighter rescue sidequest before entering the post-game is great, because the Joker calls Batman out on locking up a person who took the law into his own hands in order to protect the people important to him. Which does bring me to another point that I've meant to bring up for a while, but keep forgetting: there's another dialogue you can have with each Most Wanted criminal after they've been locked up, with a Joker comment afterwards like when you first brought them in, and there's different round of dialogue for post-game, what with the Bruce Wayne reveal and all. Any plans to show at least the latter ones off?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

My Alibi, right? I had to restart from scratch to get around that one. It's possible for it to trigger only while you're leaving, meaning you wind up trapped in the building.

No, it was... around the same area where you get an investigation after hearing a car crash, I think? Whatever building that was near. It's been a while. Anyways, some of the goons from that post-game "run around and grab these guys" side mission were standing on a rooftop that I could not stand on myself, and a whole stretch of city from there (I can't remember exactly where to, like I said it's been a while) was just intangible. You know, now that I'm thinking about it more, I think the ground itself was still solid, it was just the buildings that were intangible and the textures unloaded. Or maybe I was just good at hovering with the glide?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Since nobody mentioned it yet, Catwoman does still call Batman "Bruce" if you complete the Riddler mission before finishing the main story. In fact, none of the dialogue from the Riddler finale seems to be different, all the way to putting him in the cell! I do have to say, though, "Gotham needs something other than me" looks more believable when Batman's under the full effect of Jokerization.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Talia is alive-it's an easter egg in the League sidequest.

Now that I've seen that easter egg myself, I have got to call bullshit on this. The log is clearly recorded during the events of Arkham City, from before Batman entered Wonder City and had his dreamquest/fight with Ra's, let alone the attempted destruction of Arkham City (which is referenced as "Strange will strike them down at my command," emphasis mine), the next death of Ra's following that, and finally Talia's death following that. Nothing in that log suggests that Talia is still alive. Maybe the newspaper next to the recording, that Scruffy didn't look at, has a hint that Talia is alive, but with only the recording to go off of, I still have to say that Talia is dead

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I had thought Oblivion# had played the game themselves, not connecting it with the videos. I discussed this in an earlier post, I think. The morgue in the hospital is filled with the bodies of folks from the intro diner scene who presumably died in the gas attack. One of the other drawers is labeled for Talia al Ghul. It's empty.

I have played the game myself, but I've also deleted it from my PS4 for space. So, now that you've said what it is, I'll say fair enough. However, I do wonder why Talia would have a spot in the same morgue as the diner victims, rather than, well, any of the other hospitals or morgues closer to where and when she died.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

dscruffy1 posted:

Good news! IT'S OVER! I've pretty much LP-uninstalled this game, likely to never be touched again. It's been fun!

GCPD Lockdown/Polsy

Catwoman's Revenge/Polsy

The dialogue in both of these is really great, it's just such a shame that the Catwoman episode has the objectively worst combat challenge in the entire series. I don't even remember how many times it took me to get through wave 3. My strategy for the end was just to let the freeflow die, since counters and attacks don't move you as much outside of freeflow.

Thanks for doing the entire series, Scruffy! You did a fine job, even if it finally inflicted Bat-Burnout on you in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I mean... the whole (main) Arkham series are still all good games, Knight included. There's just so much bad along with the good in Knight that it brings down the experience, but as far as the "Be the Batman" premise across the whole series, it still does that well. Stalking unsuspecting goons across rooftops is still fun, though not quite as much as indoor Predator sections in the previous games, and they did a lot to give you many options for Combat sections, though more than was really needed. Hmm, putting it like that... well, I still liked it, but you're certainly right about

WFGuy posted:

bogged down by the absurd writing demands of distant executives or excessive game bloat.

• Locked thread