Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do you have to wear fingerless leather gloves at driving school?

It's strictly optional, unfortunately.

Driving school here is good to sort all the bureaucracy for the exam too (gently caress, some driving schools even take care of the bribes for the examiners too, and no I'm not kidding), but strictly speaking you don't need to go to one to get your driving license.

The iter is, you do a theory test, if you pass you get the "pink paper" driving permit, valid for six months, and anyone with a driving license at least 10 years old can teach you. After that there's the practical test.

E: I'm fully expecting demon Joker, leading hell's invasion of Gotham City.
The GCPD is going to have a contingency for that too.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Da_Higg posted:

The contingency is the same as always: let Batman sort it out.

That's a given, but for example in the current scenario the contingency was to evacuate the city, in a day, with no advance warning, while Batman sorts it out. That's an amazing organization they ahve there.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What is the Riddler even trying to do here? How is a racetrack meant to show his superiority? They are certainly impressive though.
Are we to take that he and sanity are on even less speaking terms than usual after Asylum and City?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Veotax posted:

Batman's eyes go all techy and strange whenever he has a hologram up, I think it's not actually a hologram but augmented reality so he's the only one who sees it.

Holograms can already be made to be seen only from a certain position, so Batman's holophone is probably in no-peeking mode.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's a part of his skill set that's usually hard to visualize through the medium of comic books, so it tends to be an informed ability or some kind of Bat-deduction. "Robin! The shark was pulling my leg! That must mean..." - "Holy coincidence, Batman! Penguin's working with the Joker!"

Superman is similarly "The Man Of Tomorrow", but that's been thrown out.

How did the Adam West movie go?
(after the shark attack. You know the one, the one with the shark repellant bat spray)
"This is a mighty riddle. The Riddler.
The shark was Pulling my leg. The Joker.
This happened at sea. C for Catwoman.
Sharks are fishes. The Penguin"

Scene cut to Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman in their submarine of evil.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Knight is totally a Robin, isn't he? Of the three Robins, my money is on Jason Todd, 'cause I don't see Tim Drake pulling this poo poo and Dick Grayson is unwinding from the years of being Robim by being Nightwing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

WFGuy posted:

It's probably just my "That is totally Jason Todd, unless they're setting it up to be a sort of 'Ah HA! You thought it was Jason Todd but it was someone with a completely different body type!' kinda twist" thought developing into a prejudice, but I was actually kind of expecting them to throw off the entire expectation at the confrontation there. A-Knight starts monologuing, saying "You're thinking 'Who the hell is this guy?'", and it would be a pretty decent World's Greatest Detective response to say "Actually, I was thinking how disappointed I am in you, Jason." Just cut the head off the burgeoning mystery, do something actually surprising.

Still, "I'm deciding which of you my car should shoot first" is a pretty decent response too.

You know, this is a missed opportunity to humanize Batman.

Oracle: Bruce, the Knight has to be
Batman: (interrupting) He was a son to me, I hope we're wrong
Oracle: Are you ever wrong?
Bats: I might be.

What happened to Jason in this continuity? Death by Joker?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

'sup Joker fear gas hallucination, how is it going?

On one hand, I like this sequence, until now. Bat's worst fears? Barbara getting kidnapped and Alfred telling him to abandon Gotham and save his skin.

On the other hand, Bats fearing the Joker? Every single time he was exposed to the toxin in Asylum he fought it off, to the point Scarecrow was actually scared. Bats doesn't fear villains, that's like half the point of Batman.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On one hand, goddamn let the Joker rest. I like him, but I'm getting into serious Joker fatigue here.
On the other, the plotline seems decent, modulo having to shut down your brain on the how, but then again comic book science is magic by another name.

Kidnapping the sane carrier guy, though? Not cool, Batman, not cool. You could let the dude out, it's not like he'd disappear to avoid the blood testing bat-syringes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kurieg posted:

Frank Miller's Batman murdered a whole bunch of people unless he was trying to make a sanctimonious point, but once he was done he went back to murdering.

On the other hand, Frank Miller's fascist thug is a shapeshifter that killed Bruce and took his place*.

*because this is comics and needs to be clarified, not really

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You know, if all the Joker is going to do this game is being a sarcastic commenter I'm actually warming up to the idea, since he's actually being funny, in a :magical: way, and he's not actively hijacking (Jokerjacking) the plot.

I fear that they'll try to have this plotline go somewhere though, with the inevitable Jokerjack.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On a somewhat related note, I've finally grabbed Origins, and here's some thoughts I've had during play at various plot points:
-Come the gently caress on you can't Jokerjack from even before the start of the game
-Ok maybe the Jokerjack is not as loving ridiculous as I first thought
-never mind it is :sigh:

It's what I've been scared of with this game's Joker. The setup is stupid, but if they resist the Jokerjack temptation I can forgive it because he's actually being funny. Based on past performance, no way they resist the temptation.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The thread is making a fantastic case in unselling me on the game. The bat tank looks like rear end on average (I actually liked the APC chases and the race tracks, but those are for the Batmobile, not the battank) and oh god the story.
Asylum wasn't exactly War and Peace but compared to this drivel? At least it was mostly inoffensive.

What pains me is that there's some interesting ideas there. Leave Joker as a strict fear hallucination, representing the more effective fear toxin crossing with Bats massive guilt. No Jokeritis, no Joker takeovers, just snarky commentary and the dude bowing out gracefully at the end of the plot (he's totally going to be the final boss somehow, I feel it).
The tag team brawls are criminally underutilized and look so much more fun than the bat tank mode. The car chases look so much more fun than the bat tank mode.

And god treat the ladies with respect writers never mind might as well ask for an unicorn, ignore completely the ladies, writers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That... that was actually good.
Why couldn't we have that quality in the main game?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Polaron posted:

Does Batgirl's costume have high heels? Am I seeing that right? :psyduck:

She does :sigh:
Win some, lose some, but I agree, it is pretty :psyduck:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

LightWarden posted:

Actually the kraken can be hacked two times. The first time it attracts people to the area and the second time it does an environmental takedown on everyone who went to the area. You can see the prompt at 8:47 ("Smoke system has been booby trapped by The Joker to release a powerful knockout gas that can take out nearby henchmen.")

Why would... Joker, never mind, I retract the question.

And god, Joker Thugs' Amazingly Dumb Science Corner was fantastic.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can commend them on that, but that mask shows off WAY too much of her face.

This is the universe where a pair of glasses is an impenetrable disguise. A lot of suspension of disbelief is already needed to ignore that by all rights the police/FBI/CIA/letter soup agency of your choice should find the identity of any given vigilante within an year.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Why did that Riddler cop fold so easily?
Cobra tank, more like death star tank. It even has the same weakness for crying out loud.
Hey, I was wondering were the other villains were. 'sup 2-face. The non-standard predator was nice.

Sill, are they seriously trying to pass Barb's "death" as a plot point?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They don't know, which is unbelievably ridiculous. What do they think he's going to Wayne Tower for? He's either Bruce Wayne or getting support from Bruce Wayne. :psyduck:

"No loving way Wayne is Batman when he could pay someone else to be"

But yeah, Wayne bankrolling Batman should now be out of the bag, unless Batman inc. happened in the Arkham games too in which case the point is moot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Air is lava! posted:

Just give each guy a cyanide capsule and tell Batman that they will randomly start killing themselves unless he offs himself first.
That would be the weirdest game mechanic. He runs over to them and chokes them out before they can swallow the pill. I he's to slow it's a game over.

As an one-time gimmick fight, against say the League of Assassins, or other fanatics actually willing to do that? It could actually work. As an one-time gimmick, I repeat.

Sir Potato posted:

Also, a weird question I was thinking of early and I really hope this doesn't start anything dumb in the thread, but is it every explained across games why all the League of Assassin members are women? I can't think that they do in City and I've only ever watched scruffy's LP of Origins so I don't remember much. It isn't bad, but I'm just generally curious if there's an in-universe explanation for it.

A cross between the fact that the City ninjas are mostly Talia's personal guard (so all-female pretty much by definition) and good old-fashioned "gently caress it the ninjas are not getting models for both genders" by the devs. Then they didn't bother adding male ninjas in later games.

To be fair, we don't get female Gotham thugs either, so I'd say it's not misogyny for once.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

death .cab for qt posted:

Jesus Christ, rocksteady needs to drop all this grimdark bullshit and do a Batman TBATB game STAT.

That fight, with the current fighting system, with dual-takedown moves with President loving Lincoln would be the only trailer they'd ever have to show at any gaming expo for the next decade to advertise any future Batman games.

"Yeah, this next game? Don't worry about it. Just play this section again. We've got this."

God, I love that show.
The bat and the cat
Ditto

And above all: Batmite's take on the show

E: Harley: Aren't you gonna take his mask off and find out who he is?
Joker: And reduce my primal enemy to a mere man? Harley, my dear, I'm so disappointed in you. Where's the fun in that?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 12, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Called it, the Knight is Jason.
Ok, we don't have confirmation yet, but come on. After Jason Reminiscence Hour, who else could it be?

Bad Bat Decisions all around, this plot is simply :magical: magical
I'm honestly kinda looking forward to what will come next, trainwrecks are kinda hypnotic after all.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speaking of the al'Ghul family, is Damian (Bats and Talia's son, it's complicated) a thing in this 'verse? I'd assume not, I don't think I ever saw a file on him in the games.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Also, the question "Why are other heroes not coming here as fast as lightning?" can always be solved with: they have their own fires to put out. Superman is currently busy with Luthor/Darkseid/whatever, the Flash is incommunicado at the moment, Green Lantern is at Oa for some training etc.

Yeah, in two days there will be more superheroes than buildings in Gotham, but by then the situation will be over one way or the other.

Although, after this stunt all the supervillains involved in this are going to get the death penalty, because suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 2, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Why and how could they even think this would have been a surprise? :psyduck:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ShootaBoy posted:

My point here is that even a total non-fan could tell it who it was gonna be. Why are you so dumb Rocksteady?!?!?

I called the Knight's identity when he did that little spiel during the first encounter that the Bat-symbol on the Batsuit is designed to draw fire. Only a member of the Bat-family would know that little tidbit, everyone else would just assume that it's part of the usual Bat-branding.

From there, basic logic: he can't be Barbara or Alfred, of the three Robins it's probably the dead one.

And they're trying to tell me the World's Greatest Detective couldn't deduce it? Riddler should have totally crashed the "pathos" of the reveal to gloat or something. "Come on, Dork Knight, how exactly hadn't you realized this was your old sidekick? My informants tell me that the militia have a betting pool on who their boss is, and half the bets are on ex-Robin"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My brain is weird. We had Oracle's return and Deathstroke (hopes dashed :() in the last video, but I'm fixed on a small detail: were those cops taking a selfie with the new Batmobile?
Can't blame them, though, I totally would have done the same and I hate selfies.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Goddamn the Jockerjack plot.
That was a good decent ending setpiece, with Bruce giving in without a second thought because an ally is in danger. Except for the green-haired laughing cancer. Joker is my favorite Bat-villain, but this is the 4th loving game, get some variety.
[nitpick] And you don't waste the vengeance line on a side-villain inside an hallucination. Hell, you even have a similar setup here with Crane, have him taunt Bruce about Martha and Thomas.[/nitpick]

E: I mean, the Joker sequence would have been good in a vacuum, especially the reverse predator section, but Mad Clown Disease should have been (billed as) the A-plot, not a side addition.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 15, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's how it was done originally, though. He never said it to Scarecrow. He said it to the hallucination of his worst fear, which was letting down his father at the time.

Yep, but it wasn't an iconic line at the time.
Now it's iconic, so if you use it at all, if you cash in that nostalgia chip, I'd say it's better to use on the (ostensibly) main villain.
(:goonsay: of course. It's an incredibly minor complaint, I just wanted to rant a bit about the Jokerjack)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm kinda curious to see how Batman's true nemesis will react to the reveal here.
There are actually three reactions mostly in character: belittling Gotham because how could they not have realized before, admitting he didn't see it coming before insulting Bruce because what kind of moron dresses as a bat with a bank account of billions, or "I totally realized your identity before the unmasking, honest".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Omobono posted:

I'm kinda curious to see how Batman's true nemesis will react to the reveal here.
There are actually three reactions mostly in character: belittling Gotham because how could they not have realized before, admitting he didn't see it coming before insulting Bruce because what kind of moron dresses as a bat with a bank account of billions, or "I totally realized your identity before the unmasking, honest".

And Nigma goes for option D: Desperate Denial.
Admittedly, realizing Bruce "idiotic fop" Wayne outsmarted you time and again must be quite painful, but you'd think Edward would understand the concept of acting.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To nobody's surprise, the knightfall protocol involved faking Bruce's death; although Wayne manor blowing up was a bit too blatant to be believable (the again, comic books).

And then the actual ending :ughh:
Gordon running for mayor was a nice touch, Barbara marrying Tim (was that Tim in the photo) was nice, and then they gently caress it up horribly with grimderp Bats using Scarecrow's toxin. God loving drat it.

Dunno, maybe, maybe, the plot is not going to be Jokerjacked, and if pigs fly it won't be grimderp either.
The main villains will be the Falcone family, we'll see Harvey's fall and the Joker is going to be the next episode hook.
Let a man hope will ya?

Oh who am I kidding, it's totally going the Origins way.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I liked Robin's episode. He has good back and forth with Oracle (and his nagging at the beginning was absolutely fantastic) and I really liked how Barbara says Robin is not Bats, he'll be better.

How's Telltale Batman? More precisely, is it horribly and stupidly grimdark? Any joybuzzers, mad grins, squirting flowers or chattering teeth in sight, ready to take over the plot?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CzarChasm posted:

As far as any Joker Jacking goes, no sign of him, and if the previews of future things are to be believed, I doubt he's going to show up at all in this. He might come around for a sequel, but looks clear for now.

I wouldn't mind the Joker if he's the explicit focus of a season from the start, the same way I didn't mind J in Asylum. It's just, let's look at the Arkham games:
-Asylum, billed as a Joker-centric story from the start. Game started with Bats and J in the batmobile, and delivered on the premise.
-City, starting as a Sharp-centric story. Joker takes over the plot halfway through.
-Origins, hello there Black Mask. Hold on, Joker took over the plot before the game even began. That has to be some kind of record.
-Knight, ostensibly Scarecrow-centric or The-Knight-is-totally-not-Jason-Todd-centric. Joker's ghosts(plural) try to take over the plot. Again.

Thanks for the answers, guys, I'll check that out once a couple more episodes are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Can I imagine that Cash was intercepting that call, he was ready to interrupt it and then when he heard Catwoman he laughed, grabbed a bag of popcorn and rerouted it to the GCPD intercom?

• Locked thread