Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Omobono posted:

What is the Riddler even trying to do here? How is a racetrack meant to show his superiority? They are certainly impressive though.
Are we to take that he and sanity are on even less speaking terms than usual after Asylum and City?

Actually, he does explain that later. Most of his (non-trophy) challenges require the car to complete, so he needs to know what it's capable of. This was basically just a test to get some data on the Batmobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

OldMemes posted:

It seems that holding up a holographic display of the Commisoner's daughter and the butler of one of Gotham's most famous men out in the open where anyone can see it is a good way to help people to figure out Batman's identity, but I get why they didn't want Oracle to be a voice only role again.

Not only that, but changing into a batsuit out in the open on a roof where every Tom, Dick, and Two-Face can get a good look at you? I mean, it is on the roof, but there's plenty of places in Arkham City and Arkham Knight where a gang is just hanging out up on a roof for you to beat up.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

To be fair, that big stick was basically a switchblade scythe, if I'm remembering the animated series correctly. The only thing I didn't like about that design was how buff Scarecrow looked. He should be lanky and gangly.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

TCat posted:

Yeah he got crowbarred.

And blowed up.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I think I actually prefer this Scarecrow to the cackling madman of Asylum. In Asylum he was more a jump-scare. In Knight he's more of a slow burn, building up the atmosphere to oppress you. Sure, it doesn't come across that way with the giant TV screens with the standard supervillain speech, but it's far closer than we've gotten before. I liked the idea I saw before about the unsettling fear of uncertainty earlier in the thread, though. That was was more creepy than I think Scarecrow should go for, but it's a terrifying concept nonetheless.

EDIT: ^^ Poetic irony, I think. And quite rightly so.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't there an entire comics series where Riddler realized he needed help and turned into an incredibly competent private detective because he is actually incredibly smart, just crazy as gently caress?

I know that there's at least a few instances where Riddler tries to commit a crime but literally can't avoid leaving a clue to solving it. His OCD is that strong.

Of course, in at least one of the many canons he knows Batman's identity but gets checkmated by Batman for the reason of "what's the value of a riddle everyone knows the answer to?".

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

Riddler does eventually tell some people. At least, he tells Tommy Elliot, which is how the whole Hush arc starts.

I thought Hush figured it out on his own? :s

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Don't know about the comics but in Arkham City he didn't seem to know.

I thought the implication of him telling Batman exactly what was going on kind of pointed him toward being in the know about Bruce Wayne's cosplay adventures.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Huh. Do the thugs in the Wonderland sequence show up anywhere else in the game? Because they're decked out in Joker gear from Arkham Asylum/City.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Also, it's pronounced "peh-dant" not "pee-dant" :v:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Does anyone else get a weird error on the latest video from about 24:06 - 24:12? Everything before and after that is fine, but that part just refuses to play for me.

No, I got the same error. Weird :s

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

He was the guy who took over for Batman when Bane broke Batman for the first time in Knightfall.

The reasoning behind not using Nightwing or Robin back then was as sketchy as it is now, as one reason he took over was to have a more violent batman in place of bruce as a 90's thing, though I do not remember if it was by parody or in earnest. It was sort of like how Superman got killed and then had four replacements that were each what Superman was not.

Basically this, but it was a bit more... intense for Jean Paul Valley. Yes, he took over for Batman but the problem was that the programming he got from the Order of St Dumas was a bit too intense for him to weather. Azrael would have been a pretty worthy successor if not for that. He was very brainwashed into his role against fighting evil. Even as he took up the mantle of the Bat he was visited by vision of St Dumas himself urging him on to even more decisive measures against evil. That vision was what made him put on those vicious claw gauntlets that had wrist-mounted batarang launchers. When the cape held him back because of lovely aerodynamics he changed it to long strips of some vaguely cape-like design. All the while "St Dumas" urged him to keep at the whole fight against evil at all costs. Jean Paul became Batman without the whole not killing people thing.

It took Bruce a while of both physical and mental recovery before he was able to take on the new Batman. In the end it all came down to stripping Jean Paul of the mantle and cowl to get him to see just how far he'd fallen.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Gollum, the White Witch, Baron Harkonnan...

Well, he sorta freed Gollum from a lab in The Dark Knight Strikes Again...

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Dscruff be a dear and show off the easter egg in the last riddler puzzle room at the orphanage, it's my favorite thing in the game.

I can't seem to find it on youtube Got a link?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ah. Not that big, but hopefully we'll see it when Scruffy gets there.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

If the Riddler is replacing all of his thugs with robots, why do Riddler Informants still exist?

Someone had to get the robot parts, man. You think Riddler's going to Home Depot to get all that stuff?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Batman's injecting himself with a wound sealant.

Super-science super glue.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Just fyi, the guy from the Punisher you were thinking of was Spacker Dave.

Spacker Dave!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Given how much the Arkham series loves their "Batman trips balls" moments, I imagine Spellbinder would be a shoo-in if they ever did Arkham Beyond.

Or that one psychic guy that Terry managed to beat on his own in a pretty cool fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkD8w05afsk

Spellbinder would be good to do Scarecrow-like levels like from Asylum. Hell, have Mad Stan take the place of Anarky. Yeah, he's sort of a joke and a parody of that sort of extremism, but with his proclivity for pyrotechnics he's still a credible threat to people. Inque could have a fight like Copperhead's, Venom thugs could be using slappers instead of full injector rigs. Jokerz I'd like to see just be random street thugs. The Royal Flush Gang would have a Most Wanted sidequest of theirs, Stalker could show up as a frenemy, splicers making a new lab as a sidequest or maybe just stand in for Enforcers/Martial Artists depending on their animal DNA, etc. No Return of the Joker stuff since that seems to be what's turning people off, but a few familiar faces from the original series would be nice.

drat it, now it feels like I should write up a prospectus and start looking for investors :|

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

"Joker specifically said he'd kill my father if Batman showed up!"

Does that mean he won't kill him if any other member of the bat family shows up?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Wasn't that the plot of Bioshock 2?

Also, I think that was the first triple takedown I saw in this LP. You go, Barbara! :3:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can commend them on that, but that mask shows off WAY too much of her face.

"Barbara, I'm your father. You think I wouldn't recognize you just because I can't see your unibrow?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

and the piles of collectibles get a lot smaller.

Ah, that brings up a good point. What would be the collectibles for Arkham Beyond? Terry doesn't really have a Riddler analogue. Unless Eddie designed some sort of failsafe decades ago that kicks off when he's an old man. Actually, that might work. Have him be completely senile with only occasional glimpses of that once-proud ego show up to offer a cryptic hint as to how to stop whatever happened. Maybe you can have some of his cutting edge (at the time) riddlebots show up and grab people to put in death traps that haven't been opened in forever. The old machinery and wiring is giving out, making the bots and the traps act unpredictably. Terry's not the detective Bruce is, so it would play to the usual methods he uses to just break things until someone's safe.

Thinking more about it now, Stalker could be a most wanted along the lines of Deadshot or Zsasz. He's out in the city and hunting people and the Batman has to track him down.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

But how will people get all those trophies and achievements!? D:

Actually, that might be a good way to subvert it. No, Terry's not up to the task of figuring out where all this poo poo is. But he can put the little pieces together and go stop the bad guy without finding poo poo.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

Instead of the Riddler trying to be the smartest, you can have Robert Vance attempting to take over parts of the city. No trophies to collect, more like the datapacks from Origins where you have to shut down nodes that Vance is using to spread his AI consciousness. It'd end with a fight against the batsuit, so there's actually a neat boss battle to be had from it.

I forgot about Vance. A fight against the hacked batsuit would be interesting since it would take away most of the gadgets Terry uses. But it would give us a chance to use classic batman tools, probably the REC to disrupt the suit long enough to, say, shut down a terminal that Vance is using for his plan. Maybe Bruce can cobble together a suit for Terry to wear instead of just a mask.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

IMJack posted:

Return to the Metroidvania feeling of Arkham Asylum. Terry loses control of his normal suit, so he tracks down the old caches Bruce hid all over Gotham to cobble together a set of working gear.

I'm guessing that stuff would be even more out of date than Terry's suit. Remember, he says that it's about 10 years old but top of the line for its day. It'd be a nice and funny scene for Terry to go wading through the sewer to find 20 year old gear only to find that they're hilariously low tech. Or even gone. Bruce flat up gave up on being Batman. I doubt he recovered much of it.

death .cab for qt posted:

Nah, half the fun of that story arc was Terry showing off that he's more than just the new gadgets, he's also a drat good Batman without the suit. I think he takes it on with just a utility belt, if I remember correctly?

He did, yeah. Utility belt and Nightwing's tiny little mask. Still, you could throw a nice nod to the movie, for instance. Maybe Vance hired some Jokerz to take a warehouse and loot the place. "Hey, Joker said he missed the cape. Shouldn't disappoint them."

SardonicTyrant posted:

To chip in on the Arkham Beyond ideas, you could have a fight with Inque that is essentially a reverse predator section where you spend a set amount of time trying to avoid her as she hunts you down.

Another idea: At one point the volume in the game just mutes, and in the options menu the option to raise it is *gone*, and this leads into a predator fight with Shriek where you have to be extra stealthy because you're the only one who's making noise.

Both of these ideas are awesome. Shriek could be a lot like the final Bane enounter in Origins. That big bull rush replaced with a wide sonic blast, he could hear you tromping through vents and grates and ruin them with his suit. Inque wouldn't show up on detective vision so you'd have to try other methods, maybe like the Laughing Octopus fight in MGS4.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Alexeythegreat posted:

Listening to encouragement and "PROTECT HER" from Ivy, of all people, feels a bit weird, even if I really dig the general idea of the slightly less evil villains of the rogues gallery helping Bats out :v:

Honestly, Batman does go to the rogues when he has to for their advice. Just because they're the "bad guys" doesn't mean they're not experts in their field. Scarecrow is a genius at biochemistry and psychology. How else could he custom make gasses the way he does? Ivy is a world class botanist and probably an organic chemist as well. Hell, given her split from Joker in the New 52, I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Harley for advice on how to stop him or protect people against a new formula of Joker gas.

Of course, that all depends on writers realizing that aspect of Batman. He's the world's greatest detective, after all. Part of the PI game is nurturing contacts who can help you in your investigations. That might make for an interesting aspect of the Telltale Batman game. Maybe as Batman you cut a deal with a villain to get information and later have to juggle funds as Bruce Wayne to accommodate, even if that might mean missing out on a big deal in the corporation's best interests.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Night10194 posted:

An Elseworld where Batman basically ends up leading a support group for all the other mentally damaged people he used to beat up and they save the world together would be rad as hell.

There is one, sort of: The Batman of Arkham. A turn of the century setting where Bruce Wayne spends all of his family's money getting Arkham Asylum up and running properly. He's a leading psychologist who captures pathological cases as Batman by night, and treats them as patients at the asylum. One of his greatest successes is rehabilitating Killer Croc. Things go to hell when Joker shows up (because of course he does) and doses Batman with his gas. Bruce is committed to the asylum himself, now being overseen by his former assistant Jonathan Crane.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Why couldn't they have stuck with the design from Origins? That was a great look and voice for Croc :s

EDIT: Yes, Croc was in City. But it was a small Easter egg with a limited window to find. After R'as 'dies' and you go back through the sewers, there's a button behind a gate that seemingly does nothing. Hit that with a remote batarang through a hole and Croc goes all Kool Aid Man through the wall and says you smell of death and that he just needs to wait rather than kill you himself.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Also, nice use of the Stone Cold Stunner for a team takedown. :bahgawd:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Lotish posted:

dscruffy, I just want to mention that my five year old enjoys your videos so much that when he's playing batman with his toys I overhead him saying "welcome back to Arkham Knight."

That is just so adorable :3:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, it would make sense for Batman to get back to his roots as a peerless man rather than a guy with enough gadgets to make poo poo happen. I'd like to see a simple predator section where you have to take down 20 guys with nothing except a limited number of batarangs and the batclaw (if that).

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is it my ears, or is it a different voice actor for Scarecrow?

I think John Noble's just being distorted in the Nightmare segments. The Scarecrow model is different, looking more like a skeleton, so... Well, I guess that's my only "proof", such as it is :v:

Still sounds mostly like him to me, anyway.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Counterpoint: Joker only knew his blood was killing him, not that it was contagious. The Joker-lites showed up after he was dead.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

For what it's worth, I remember seeing a video on Arkham City easter eggs that implicitly stated that Talia's body was never recovered. Or if it was, it went missing. I think we can assume, given the League's access to Lazarus Pits, that she's not dead.

EDIT: Also, the Cauldron is where Tommy Monaghan set up shop. Check out Hitman if you're interested because it's a fantastic run about an antihero who's actually worth the name.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 21, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Well, hey, this is a pyromaniac we're talking about. He's not hitting banks like Two-Face and Penguin, he just wants to start fires. Do you think he's working with a budget?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

At least he uses it for a good reason, like to annoy JJJ by spinning brodies on the side of the Daily Bugle building

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I like the idea of the two solutions but I can't help but think that Night is right. Because of his upbringing, Riddler would probably just crack down harder on Batman if he thought he was cheating. Although maybe that would work well. If you go and do the riddles the proper way instead of the easier way, it might actually make him too stunned to fight. Maybe taking the more difficult path would skip a boss fight in the end. It'd be an interesting way to subvert things, at any rate.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Air is lava! posted:

But is it really?

Batman might be human, but one of his superpowers is super-rationalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"I'd rather stay in Gotham than Keystone. At least you can see Batman coming."

Can they, though? Can they really? :smug:

EDIT: vv Nah, it's totally clean comic book fusion science or something. Totally safe. Hell, you could lick it and it'd be no worse than a 9-volt battery.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 2, 2016

• Locked thread