Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm going with the answer to this is "someone's gate got opened". And it was likely by mister "I'm gonna lick your fingers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Yup! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_llama

If a dog or wolf attacks the flock, sheep will just die. A llama is big enough and pissy enough to be a deterrent.

Ehhhh. I'd say 75% of sheep will just roll over and go "oh okay eat me". There's some out there that will get a wild hair up their rear end and charge and wreck up a dog.

This is not one of those sheep:

(which is why she's covered in blukote and not in the pasture)

I tackled those two lambs today and dewormed them. Lamba (the white one) is very very sad and 100% sure the world is at an end. Point (the brown one) whispers death and destruction and a chaotic end to all.

E: Lamba is quite possibly the most original name I've ever had for an animal, I know, but after screaming "LAM-BAAAAAAAA" at her for a month and her going "BAAAAAA" back, it just kind of became a thing. She comes like a dog when you call her (*unless you have dewormer). Point hates you and wants you to die.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 6, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My little starter flock:

From left to right, Point, Lamba (who's screaming because she wants grain), Ramba (the other white) and Dingdong.

They're all locked up right now because Ramba and Dingdong just got here and I want to make sure they're zen and chill before I let them out as well as giving Lamba one more week to finish healing the tiny itty bitty scabs on her leg.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lamba and Ramba are full Katahdin lambs. Dingdong and Point are part barbados. Everybody's hair sheeps :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All of my sheep are shedding wildly and I keep making fun of them for it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Avshalom posted:

the sheep are still here although i've been searching for their rightful owner on facebook

their new names are jubilee, jillyfish, jusara and jiminy cricket. jiminy cricket is the pregnant white one. look how pregnant she is

i'm going to have to deliver someone else's lambs :pram:

Mail them down here, thanks

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Radio! posted:

Aren't sheep like... expensive? They seem like a thing you'd want to keep track of.

Eh. If they're registered they can be high but I've seen anything from $50 to $250 unregistered. If they broke out and wandered who knows how far they got.

Kwyndig posted:

Still no word on who lost their sheep, huh. Do they have any tags or microchips or anything? Do people even chip sheep?

Registered ones, sometimes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lamba is the size of three small houses and keeps chewing on her right side and singing to it, so I'm HOPING that she's pregnant. Hoping for DingDong too.

If I don't have lambs by fall, I'm sharpening an axe.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

So hypothetically if someone adores all of the livestock pics in PI but is still an enthusiastic meat eater does that make someone a sociopath?

I'm asking for another goon btw.

No more than my vegetarian rear end butchering the poo poo out of cute little fuzzy animals I raised and feeding the meat to other folks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

part of it is that the second one flails like a dumbass for a little bit

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So all my ewes took (good boy) but I've got a trio starting to build an udder each so maybe I'll have some chilly lambs this year.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, something happened this morning.

It's way too cold out there (I'm southern, we don't really have heated barns in my area because it's almost never 11 degrees overnight) so I uh:

:shobon: She's a really good mom so far. Good girl Gossip. Twin ewes, by the by.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

So how long until this happens to you?

I lock my doors when the girls are out working the flock because I don't want a sheep in the kitchen.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you ever gotten Sheep standing outside the back/kitchen door?

Absolutely. That's just normal though. Find an iffy bit of celery? "Hey Cla!" and he comes clattering up the deck stairs and he gets a celery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Radio! posted:

That's a sheep.

you're a sheep.

my cat is norris posted:

Is that a Maremma or a different kind of big white dog?

it's just a big dumb happy pyr

• Locked thread