Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cyndaquil is the best because fire. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

HardDisk posted:

Cyndaquil is the best because fire. :colbert:

This goon knows what's up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The most notable thing about Gen 2 is how the first Gym Leader barely qualifies as a Gym Leader.

Faulkner, you have a level 7 Pidgey. I could literally go outside, catch one, and train it up to that in like 15 minutes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Totodile for me falls into the same trap Squirtle did: there are lots of water types, and this one fails to stand out from its competition.

He's like outclassed by Wooper after the first gym.

Who cares though cause he's a awesome rad croc and you can name him K.Rool so he's the raddest croc alive.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Waffleman_ posted:

The most notable thing about Gen 2 is how the first Gym Leader barely qualifies as a Gym Leader.

Faulkner, you have a level 7 Pidgey. I could literally go outside, catch one, and train it up to that in like 15 minutes.

I remember him being reasonably tough with that Pidgeotto, didn't it have Sand Attack and spammed it relentlessly?
I was mostly pissed that Mareep wasn't in Crystal, so I couldn't destroy him with Electric type attacks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

His Pidgeotto is level 9! I don't even know how he GOT a Pidgeotto that weak! I guess that's impressive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I've always grabbed the Lapras that shows up later, because it has really good stats for when you can get it.

And you can immediately teach it Surf.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Also, holy poo poo, Crosspiece, I thought you were older than me.

Nah, just halfway to 22, but old enough that I was completely caught up in Pokemania. But also young enough to not realize it wasn't cool anymore, when it got to the third and fourth generation, so I kept being a fan, no matter how much I got made fun of for it.

Roro posted:

I remember him being reasonably tough with that Pidgeotto, didn't it have Sand Attack and spammed it relentlessly?
I was mostly pissed that Mareep wasn't in Crystal, so I couldn't destroy him with Electric type attacks.

It was Mud Slap, which basically did the same thing and hosed you over for choosing Cyndaquil. But you also couldn't get Mareep before the Gym, but you could get Geodude.

Waffleman_ posted:

His Pidgeotto is level 9! I don't even know how he GOT a Pidgeotto that weak! I guess that's impressive.

You could catch Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest in Yellow and even HGSS at that level, so that totally explains it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 02: There and Back Again and Again

Cherrygrove City

Cherrygrove City: The City of Cute, Fragrant Flowers
(From cherry and grove, symbolizing the budding of a new adventure)
Yoshino City: The city of cute, fragrant flowers
(From Yoshino-gusa (alternate name of cherry blossom) and Somei Yoshino (natural hybrid of the Japanese cherry tree))

"I can tell!"

: That's OK! Everyone is a rookie at some point! If you'd like, I can teach you a few things.

Sure, what better way to start off an update than a tutorial. Let's all learn together!

Cherrygrove City Tour

Okay.

Uhuh.

Ah, mmm.

"water."

Yeah.

: It's my house! Thanks for your company. Let me give you a small gift.

: POKéGEAR becomes more useful as you add CARDS. I wish you luck on your journey!

Cherrygrove City

Well, what a nice man, this, uh...

Guide Gent! Well, that is what he be. Saves us having an actual Town Map item. In any case, time to go around to the places shown off.

Pokémon Center

: Welcome to our POKéMON CENTER. We can heal your POKéMON to perfect health.

Centers remain the same, though they remark on the time.

As simple as that. And saves on time with no more Pikachu following us around.

The PC is still here, with Pokemon Storage and Item Storage. We'll be using both in our journey, though thankfully less of the item storage.

What? Well we still have 20 Pokemon to a box, with 14 boxes this time around, for a total space of 280 Pokemon, which is kinda cutting it close. But something I just found out is that the Japanese versions let you have 30 Pokemon to a box, with only 8 boxes in those games, which amounts to the same capacity of 240 to the international versions. And then 9 boxes in Gen 2, which does leave room for only 270 Pokemon. I have no idea why this is a thing.

Anyway, we can also change boxes as per usual, still need to save and that. But a new feature is being able to move a Pokemon in and between boxes, so long as they're not holding mail, for some kind of technical limitation, I assume. You still need to save each time and you can't switch Pokemon around, just move one to another place, so it's not exactly like the Gen 3 version. But we're getting there. This is however, an amazing improvement to the previous box management, so definitely give it a go, you'll save a lot of time.

Cherrygrove City

And the Pokemon Mart. At the start of the game it doesn't have anything amazing to sell, but we might pick up an Antidote or two.

Route 30

So that's it for Cherrygrove, really, so time to head onwards to Mr Pokemon's house.

Ooh, another one for the collection, nice. Now let's go into this guy's house and see if he'll give us free stuff.

: Well, my POKéMON got healthier by eating a BERRY. Here. I'll share one with you!

"drop right off."

Neat, we need to get a nice collection of Berry going, for later reasons that you totally already know about.

Moving on to an item...

Oh?

Alright, so long as I'm not distracting you enough to lose, geez.

So there's only one way we can really go, through the grass to find some new Pokemon, but we'll wait until we can actually catch things before we go over them.

Fun, fun times.

We've reached our destination, we'll just pick up a holdable Antidote and head in.

Cherrygrove City

: PROF.ELM said that you would visit. This is what I want PROF.ELM to examine.

"the KEY POCKET."

: I know a couple who run a POKéMON DAY-CARE service. They gave me that EGG. I was intrigued, so I sent mail to PROF.ELM. For POKéMON evolution, PROF.ELM is the authority. Even PROF.OAK here recognizes that.

"ELM will know it."

Chat With Professor Oak

: I was just visiting my old friend MR.POKéMON. I heard you were running an errand for PROF.ELM, so I waited here. Oh! What's this? A rare POKéMON! Let's see... Hm, I see! I understand why PROF.ELM gave you a POKéMON for this errand. To researchers like PROF.ELM and I, POKéMON are our friends. He saw that you would treat your POKéMON with love and care.

: ...Ah! You seem to be dependable. How would you like to help me out? See? This is the latest version of POKéDEX. It automatically records data on POKéMON you've seen or caught. It's a hi-tech encyclopedia!

: But I've stayed too long. I have to get to GOLDENROD for my usual radio show.

Well... these games have got a lot more dialogue than the previous ones.

Cherrygrove City

"rest."

Doo doo do do doooo. Uh, anyway, let's go and return this egg, but first, have a look at this new Pokedex we just obtained.

So like the previous LP and something I'll do for every Pokemon LP, is obtain every Pokemon in the regional Pokedex. Which is technically all 251 Pokemon in the game. So, uh, one down I guess.

We can also order the Pokedex in different ways. Currently, we have it on the New Pokedex Mode, where all 251 Pokemon are ordered differently, together with their evolutionary lines, old and new. This is the one we'll be using for both the LP and for the list I'll have in the OP. The Old Pokedex Mode is the official number order and the one we're more familiar with. And then there's A-Z Mode, which is convenient timing, since there is, as of this gen, a Pokemon for each letter of the alphabet.

Route 30

Ring ring, ring ring. Phonecall, phonecall.

: Uh, um, it's just terrible! What should I do? It... Oh, no... Please get back here now!

Uh, okay. Well it's convenient since we were heading back there anyway.

Quick walk back and... oh?

Rival Challenge

: What a waste. A wimp like you. ...... ...... ...... Don't you get what I'm saying? Well, I too, have a good POKéMON. I'll show you what I mean!

Rival Battle

This passerby boy is challenging me to a battle!

So this can be a tough fight if you get unlucky, since we're just butting heads until something goes down. At least we have an advantage due to our higher level, so this won't be too difficult.

But yeah, what fun.

And that's really all she wrote. Really not much to this fight, but that is some nice experience, for sure.

Trainer Defeated

Well, since I got experience and money. Yes, yes I am.

Rival Challenge

...?

: My name's ???. I'm going to be the world's greatest POKéMON trainer.

Cherrygrove City

Well that guy is just rude as heck. Wonder where he got that sweet Pokemon from though.

Pokémon Lab

"stole a POKéMON."

: It's unbelievable that anyone would do that! ...sigh... That stolen POKéMON. I wonder how it's doing. They say a POKéMON raised by a bad person turns bad itself.

Well, seems a little bit presumptuous, though we met a jerk pretty recently and his starter was a bit of a rough fighte... ohhhhhhhh that guy was the thief.

"from PROF.ELM."

: Apparently it was a young male with long, red hair... What? You battled a trainer like that? Did you happen to get his name?

So OP, heheh, what's his name?

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 17, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 2: How Pokemon Tick This Time (Stats, DVs and New Additions)

Compared to last generation, there's a lot of very similar, yet brand new info we can get from our Pokemon. A lot of this is usually inaccessible, since when you're just going through the main story, none of this mix-max stuff matters in the slightest, yet there is still quite the competitive aspect behind it all. And for whatever reason, some of the info from Gen 1 isn't displayed, but that's just because of the program, pikasav. But anyway, strap in and let's take a look.

Again, we can change not only what our Pokemon is but also how it's displayed, I am but still a God when it comes to these things. But now we can also change its held item, there are definitely some interesting ones we could choose if we wanted to, but for now a Berry will suffice. And of course we can change its nickname at any time, but it's fine as it is. For whatever reason, its typing isn't displayed, but it'd still be Grass/Grass for the purposes of how the game displays it.

We also have the OT, Secret IDs are something that come into the game from the 3rd gen onwards, so it's again pretty easy to find two Pokemon from different trainers with the same ID, since there are a lot less combinations. Then we have level and experience, same as before, but now we have the caught zone, level and time. While I'm not 100% on what all the numbers mean (beside the obvious), due to it showing up on a Gen 2 Pokemon instead of Gen 1 means that these games do track where and when you caught a Pokemon. It can't display the actual time, this is only the Gameboy after all, but it splits it with 1 being morning, 2 being afternoon and 3 being night. There's also 0 for Pokemon you obtain whenever, such as trades and that.

Then, we have Pokerus. We'll be talking about this later, but right now, it would be very surprising if you ever found this. I believe I've only ever come across it once, naturally, in a Gen 4 game. The chance of a Pokemon you encounter or hatch that has Pokerus, is a 3 in 65,536 chance, or approximately 1 in 21,845 chance. Now compare this to the 3 in 24,576 chance, or 1 in 8,192 chance of a Pokemon being shiny and you'll see why you'll probably never find a Pokemon that's infected. Not only that, in order to get it from a wild Pokemon, you need to either defeat them in battle, or capture them, so you may have ran away from an infected Pokemon, you never know. What it basically does is double the Stat Exp you obtain from defeating wild Pokemon, so it makes life a lot easier when you want to max those out. Again, we'll talk about all this stuff later, so don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Moving on, current HP and the statuses it can have, still missing Burn for whatever reason and of course, Confusion. Then, instead of catch rate (for whatever reason), we have Happiness. This was a feature for our Pikachu last generation, but has now been expanded to every single Pokemon you can obtain. Again, we'll go more into it later, but for now, it's something you can increase or decrease slowly with general every day actions, in a similar way to how it was for our Pikachu. I do realize it's something I never really went into, but it's a simple enough system that we'll be using a lot of to complete our Pokedex.

Then we have the various moves it can learn, though we could change it to any move in the game, as well as the PP of the move and how many PP Ups we can use. The max is still 3, for a 20% increase each time, so it's relatively simple. A lot of the systems for a Pokemon is very similar to Gen 1 to keep compatibility.

Finally, we have the Individual Values (or in the first two gens, Determinent Values, DVs), Effort Values (or in the first two gens, Stat Exp) and what the values are now. The DVs are set whenever you catch a Pokemon and range from 0-15. And again, they determine the HP DV, which we can get from the small message as 7. DVs also determine whether or not a Pokemon is Shiny, literally. If a Pokemon's Speed, Defense, and Special DVs are all 10, and its Attack DV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny. So in this way a Shiny Pokemon's HP DV can only be either 0, or 8. And due to DVs being passed down via Breeding (more on that later), the chance of the offspring being shiny is 1/64. In this way, some specific combinations of Pokemon cannot be Shiny, since gender is determined using the Attack IV, so female Pokemon of a species that have a gender ratio of seven males to one female, can never be shiny, due to females being determined using the lower half of the DV range. It's a big, weird clusterfuck that, like I've said like ten times cause there's so much to go over, we'll go over later. Phew.

Stat Exp is what you obtain after defeating a Pokemon. This is determined by the base stats of the Pokemon and is added onto the Stat Exp when you defeat it, with Pokerus doubling its effects. It caps out at 65535 for every single stat, giving a huge boost if you take the long, long time to max it out. Note that this applies the same for Special Attack and Special Defense. To maintain compatibility, they use the same DV, but also the same Stat Exp, basing it off Special Attack. It's the base stats that allow the two end values to be different, but that's the only factor when calculating Special Defense. It's unfortunate, but hey, two for the price of one, grandma!

And then in the last little tidbit, is how Hidden Power is calculated. The DVs of a Pokemon determine not only the type of Hidden Power (since it can be any type except Normal and even receive STAB) but also its power (ranging from 30 to 70). Preferably you'd want it to be a specific type for coverage, as well as the max power of 70 so it actually has some kick to it, but that involves messing around with the DVs. In any case, that's everything in its basic explanation. We've got plenty of time to go into further detail at a later point, but right now, I need to lie down...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 18, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Improvements as clear as night and day! Let's Play Pokemon Crystal

:tinfoil:

What other dark secrets do you have for us Crosspeice?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Obligatory vote of DONGS.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I've gotten Pokerus twice: once in Gen 3 and once in Gen 4. Once you have it it's pretty easy to keep around though. A Pokemon will remain infectious if you put it in the PC, so you can infect your team at will at that point.

As for the rival, let's call him Shinji, since Paul was the closest thing to a Silver equivalent in the anime.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kurieg posted:

:tinfoil:

What other dark secrets do you have for us Crosspeice?

Hahaha, holy poo poo, I totally have an uncle at Nintendo you guys, enjoy choosing either Solrock or Lunatone and their megas for starters!

The actual title of this LP was meant to bring attention to the big theme of Crystal and Gen 2 in how it improves on Gen 1 in so many ways, with time being a big one. And a pun on clear as crystal. I put a lot of thoughts into my LP titles, cause otherwise what's the point of even doing an LP?

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Obviously we have to call the rival the name he gave us: ???

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Geizt posted:

I like this. Go with this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Geizt posted:

I always did this as a kid because I wasn't aware of subtlety.

Name him Silver.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Even better, call him !!!

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Geizt posted:

yes

Also, how do you pronounce "???"? Does, like, an airplane fly over head or a truck makes a really loud noise whenever you say it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Geizt posted:

TinTower posted:

Even better, call him !!!

Split the difference, call him !?!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Geizt posted:

Red-headed stepchild doesn't fit, so ??? it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AmewTheFox posted:

yes

Also, how do you pronounce "???"? Does, like, an airplane fly over head or a truck makes a really loud noise whenever you say it?

You pronounce it by shrugging your shoulders and maybe making an "Uh?" sound.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just answer his question.
Nope!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Split the difference, call him !?!

Voting for this.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

His name is ??? (pronounced "hmhmhm?").

Kid must have had terrible parents.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Ah, the Gen 2 Rival. Literally the best Rival in the series, with the best music. Unlike Gary, this one actually holds a special place in my mind.
(Also, that music is amazing.). I vote Silver

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
He said his name is ???. I have no clue how you pronounce it, but that's his name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd normally go with ??? for the obvious joke, but since this is an informative LP, we might as well go with his canon name in both Japanese and English, Silver.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Crosspeice posted:

Nah, just halfway to 22, but old enough that I was completely caught up in Pokemania. But also young enough to not realize it wasn't cool anymore, when it got to the third and fourth generation, so I kept being a fan, no matter how much I got made fun of for it.

It was Mud Slap, which basically did the same thing and hosed you over for choosing Cyndaquil. But you also couldn't get Mareep before the Gym, but you could get Geodude.

You could catch Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest in Yellow and even HGSS at that level, so that totally explains it.

I completely forgot that there wasn't a little patch of grass on Route 32 before the "you must visit the gym!" guy in gen 2.

Oh, and you could also get an Onix and apparently a Growlithe (Crystal only) before fighting Falkner, which were useful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roro posted:

I completely forgot that there wasn't a little patch of grass on Route 32 before the "you must visit the gym!" guy in gen 2.

Oh, and you could also get an Onix and apparently a Growlithe (Crystal only) before fighting Falkner, which were useful.

Also in Crystal only you can nab a Phanpy, assuming you figure out whatever arcane rules make it morning in the game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I always did this as a kid because I wasn't aware of subtlety.

Name him Silver.

Canon name is best name. Voting for Silver

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just so I can keep track

DONGS: 1

Shinji: 1

Silver: 4

???: 6

!!!: 1

!?!: 2

Nope!: 1

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, someone backed my vote? I'm so happy!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It would be rude to lie, so call him ???

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
??? was what I named him as a kid!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I don't know what his name was, but he looked like a Dork.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

All aboard the ??? train.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

While I'm not 100% on what all the numbers mean (beside the obvious), due to it showing up on a Gen 2 Pokemon instead of Gen 1 means that these games do track where and when you caught a Pokemon. Though despite time being dispayed as 3, we did first obtain Petunia at around 9pm, so who knows.
It's probably 0/1/2/3 for morning/day/evening/night. You want to track it down to the hour? Who do you think you are, asking for five whole bits on every single Pokemon just for that? This is the Game Boy. You get two. You'll take your two bits and you'll like it.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Gonna toss my hat into the Silver category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I will say that I am the guy who was never found a shiny, Yet has got Pokerus around 5 times.

• Locked thread