Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Another great LP, can't wait for Emerald! :v:

Conquest sounds like a fun LP to see next! I own the game and remember playing it and thinking it was fun, but I didn't get very far, and now I am not sure where my copy went. I should look for that...

Anyway, I didn't really reply much near the end because battle frontier and such is really not interesting to me at all, sorry! I still read every update, but I had absolutely no suggestions for Pokémon to use or anything because I have no idea what would be good or not. I just like to casually enjoy this children's game and use the Pokémon I like. :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Glaive17 posted:

I still read every update, but I had absolutely no suggestions for Pokémon to use or anything because I have no idea what would be good or not. I just like to casually enjoy this children's game and use the Pokémon I like. :kiddo:

Nothing stopping you there! There were a decent number of proposals that wound up as duds, just have fun with it!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the LP! It was fun to follow.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for all your hard work. I never played Pokemon Conquest, so a LP of that would be very interesting.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Great LP, Crosspeice! I loved Gen II as a kid and it was neat to relive those days through this thread. Count me in as someone else that's never played Conquest, so I would love to see an LP of that!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

But yeah, I think I need a much smaller game to LP next. One that can hopefully garner a LOT of cool discussion. Gen 5 spinoff, anyone?
A spinoff I was too lazy to play through myself? :getin:

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't speak for anyone else but i stopped replying as frequently bc crystal (and all of gen 2, to be real) loses it's luster after a while. it's a bit too long for a pokemon game, or rather, a bit too much of the same thing happening over and over. which isn't your fault, of course, the game itself just can't really muster up any new emotions until the Red fight (which I always liked as a bookend even if grinding's such a hassle)
This gets extra bad once you hit Kanto, which has nothing going on except "look, it's Kanto! Only worse than it was in RBY! Yaaaay! :v:".

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Found this LP about halfway through its run and really enjoyed it. Great work.

Few comments on your comments:

quote:

It's the same reason why I basically stopped the Side Notes after I finished all the mechanics to go over, cause the opinion pieces of other bits of the franchise were weird to write since I didn't have much stake in them. I usually write the Side Notes after I finish an update so I actually understand what the hell I'm talking about, but with the ones about the anime or manga, I just didn't see the need. So they'll be lessened going forward.
I'd keep the mechanics chat. These games are just so buggy as poo poo (all in completely different ways, oddly enough) that it's great to see just how screwy some stuff is. I never actually knew just how awful the Kurtballs were until this LP, for example. That said, you can cut down on the opinion pieces if you're not enjoying them.

quote:

I also noticed that thread participation was lower overall compared to Yellow, especially towards the end. I'm fine with that, no matter the LP there's always people dropping off, or coming back, or catching up with the thread and whatnot. I never want anyone to feel like they have to reply, cause sometimes a game just doesn't give you much to talk about. It did get a bit annoying to sometimes have 3 or 4 updates on a page, but oh well. If I wanted a mega popular Pokemon LP, then I'd have to deal with endless derails, constant spoiler tiptoeing and having to lock the thread if things get too crazy. I love your work OFS, but I don't envy your thread workload. Kinda. I appreciate anyone and everyone who gives my LP a look, they're great fun to make and I'm glad people enjoy them.
I think part of the reason it fell off was just because Gen 2 gets kinda bland without much to really discuss. There were definitely a bunch of times in the post-game content where I'd read a post and enjoy it, but not really have anything to add.

quote:

The next big thing was covering the remakes. I thought they would be fun little asides, but I think I focused on them too much and showed off a lot of small differences that I feel like they interrupted the main LP too much and made it take much longer than it should have. I do want to do something like this in future, but I want to make it a once every five or ten update thing, not the every other two or three.
I liked the coverage of the remakes since I've never played them. But it got a little repetitive since the changes were usually pretty small. I definitely think you should keep it for the future ones, but instead focus on showing off specific new cool things rather than doing a full-blown side-by-side playthrough. Maybe a good idea would be to do some off-screen time jumps in the remakes if the changes are minor - "Town 1 and Route A are pretty similar in HG, so we're going to skip ahead to Town 2..."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I dug how thorough the LP was start to finish. Love all the little details and the fact you did all the battle stuff is seriously impressive. And you always kept things interesting in the commentary and time line up. Even in the battle facilities.
It's a shame you're retiring the analysis, but I'll admit half the fun was "oh my god, why is the move set SO BAD" that was everywhere. I think you should still have a couple of those in the future, just to touch on big improvements and a brief run down of actual-new-pokemon but that would still be a lot, I suppose.

I enjoyed the remake side updates. They were a nice counterpart to the main ones and I didn't think they stole the show as much as they worked together. Thread participation might lowered because of overload with the battle facilities? You asked for a lotttt of pokemon between the Gen 2 Tower and all 5 HGSS facilities.

One thing I was kind of hoping for, was more of a look at the Japanese side of things. As it is, it was basically just Celebi and the name origins. I remember thinking the same thing in the Yellow LP that there would be a little more focus on how stuff was changed for here or weird quirks only in japan. It's not as big a deal ,though, and I suppose there's not a lot of heavily documented japanese dialog/entries/what have you or that such a deep dive would be interesting without being nitpicky.

Looking forward to Conquest. Really enjoyed that game, but put it down after a few of the routes.

e: Also worrying about the remakes moving forward is kind of moot. The only one left is ORAS and that is probably worth LPing on its own at that point just for the pain of getting footage.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just finished reading this and your Yellow LP, it was good! I liked the side notes, but the buggy glitchy things are always the most fun.

I actually found my silver, crystal and blue carts last night, I wonder where my SP went so I can actually boot them up, I might have given it away. :( Although all the batteries are probably years dead and I know I'd glitched Blue into unplayableness with my gameshark.

Looking forward to the next one, I never played Conquest and don't know anything about it, so it should be interesting!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Followed this one live and I enjoyed every moment of it. Good read, you show off literally everything the game has to offer, and in a style that's easy to follow. I tried to read everything but I did kinda skim the off-site explanations. I'd be okay if you just posted the template (I especially enjoy the naming trivia you got there), and not the off site explanation, and leave the "holy poo poo this guy is broken as gently caress this gen" discussion to the thread.

Also +1 Conquest, never played it and I'm curious what it's like.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
Dammit Crosspeice, you have me playing Conquest again. How dare you make me play this game that is actually pretty fun.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheers for the critiques everyone, it's always tricky to gage how an audience will react to something, so I'm glad everyone enjoyed the LP and its various stuffs and agree with the changes I'm planning. And yeah, I realised around the Lake of Rage that this game was getting pretty bland, I never really noticed that before. I hope I don't notice it with other Pokemon games I LP...

Glaive17 posted:

Dammit Crosspeice, you have me playing Conquest again. How dare you make me play this game that is actually pretty fun.

I'm playing it right now to get my 98% file to 100%, cause gently caress actually doing that in the LP. I dunno if I'll bother trying to hunt down the last few generic Warriors though. gently caress 'em.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I didn't actually read your Yellow LP, so I came into this pretty cold, but I really enjoyed it! Despite all its flaws, Gen 2 is still my favorite (because I stopped before Gen 5).

Thanks for the nice nostalgia trip!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, the Official Pokemon Channel posted this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3x3-22Gi3g

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Finally had the time to catch up again. I enjoyed it!

A few typos and errors I noticed:

Crosspeice posted:

Update 20.5: Milk and Darkness (HGSS)

: Ohoho! That was just me talking to mysefl. Never mind.

: I have secretly trainer here all my life.

Crosspeice posted:

Update 33: The Sliding Faff of the Ice Path

Route 44

This links to the wrong music.

Crosspeice posted:

Update 43: Solving Current Problems

: You and your POKéMON are truly outstanding!

I'm being told that a lot and with everyone having real low levels, it feels a little patronizing.

That last line of commentary should probably go above the screenshots?

Pokémon Conquest is one of the few Pokémon games that I have basically no knowledge of, so that'll be interesting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Phenomenal LP. Cool idea to pit yourself against your Yellow team. I can't wait for Emerald. I'm probably a lot more forgiving of Crystal because I like Gen II a lot, but I see why people felt like it dragged towards the end. The game really does have a ton of content without really feeling like there's a lot to do.

I bought Conquest because I thought it was gonna be Pokemon Fire Emblem, but it wasn't and I was really disappointed. And bored.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My personal feelings about Conquest are that it had a really good idea for a game, but it made a lot of mistakes, likely due to being the very first game of the series. Having a single move per Pokemon was awful, having your levels reset in the postgame stories was terrible especially since you could only evolve your Warlords in those, the intense level of micromanaging that it let you do was honestly overwhelming to me (although it let you skip that, thankfully), but beyond that it was genuinely fun to play and I'm terribly sad we'll likely never get a sequel that fixes those flaws, especially since it'd be really easy to do so. Mystery Dungeon and Ranger also started weak and ended up with pretty fun games, so I'm sad that won't get the same treatment. Though not as sad as I am at the lack of a Snap 2, I will never get over that. Never.

Anyways, the LP was fun as hell! I love your analysis on...everything, really, and I tried to post whenever I could but sometimes there just wasn't much to say. I've said it before, but I'm not a big fan of Gen 2 in general, I think the level curve is awful and it genuinely hurts the rest of the game, the Pokemon distribution is terrible, it makes the sadly repeated-in-every-even-gen mistake of isolating the player from the cool new stuff it brings to the table (You want Dark types? gently caress you! And then repeat that for part of the Gen 4 Pokedex including evolutions to old mons, and Mega Evolutions in Gen 6), and Kanto is just underwhelming for something defenders of this gen constantly bring up. HGSS didn't fix the stuff it should have fixed, but it's definitely a much better game than what it remade anyways, unlike the next try at a remake.

I did enjoy the Pokemon analysis, although it got quite repetitive at times, but I blame that mostly on the game. I'd be sad to not see it in following LPs but I can see why you wouldn't want to do it. The side notes were also fun, honestly, you just do a great job in showing a lot about the games and that alone is great. Pokemon is one of those franchises that is just a big favourite to many, me included, so I feel you gave it the right amount of love in both the Yellow LP and this one, and I'll definitely follow anything that comes after, including Conquest.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I really enjoyed the LP. I would leave for a few weeks then check up now and then. I really enjoyed the origins of the pokemon designs and the etymology of their names. Really any sort of beta or development information while there are lulls in the actual gameplay would be pretty neat. I think you found a good way to keep the pace up and find ways to make it interesting (ie show off things in a specific order, show off the remakes etc).

My participation was pretty low since I would often be too late, but I read through the whole LP

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 56: The Third Piece of Cake Metaphor Thing

Viridian Forest

We're back with some hot remake content. Unlike the dead and empty Kanto of Gen 2, there's actually some dungeons in this game, so everything that was cut out is now back in. Kanto dungeons are still boring and straight-forward, but whatever.

Since this is technically a new dungeon, we'll be showing it off, though you might be surprised that it is the exact same as the Viridian Forest of old. None of the trainers are interesting, so gently caress 'em.

Isn't it crazy how we're going through the forest, BUT IN REVERSE? Crazy content, I know.

These games have such a loving weird level curve.

Another flute, this one cures Sleep. This is the only flute that cures a "real" status, since the other ones cure confusion or infatuation.

...a white Venonat?

Lot of mushrooms around, but here we are at the entrance. Ah, memories.

No hidden Antidote, but there's more poo poo.

Well that was fun.

Let's head towards Viridian, but make sure to visit the right side also.

"lab in Pallet Town."

: Also, I received this from him. He wants you to have this.

:stare: Well, uh, that's generous. There's only 2 in the entire game (ignoring Pokewalker item drops).

Viridian City

Well the Trainer House is still here, but Mystery Gift has changed, so what's changed to compensate?

: This is the Trainer House-- the place for trainers. The Pokéwalker will bring your friends here! You can challenge various Trainers once a day. You'll earn Battle Points when you win. Bring out your best!

Uh, hi. The Trainer House now uses the Pokewalker, which can connect to other Pokewalkers via IR. When you connect it back to this game, any Pokewalkers it connected with (up to 10), will add that trainer as they are when they sent a Pokemon to the Pokewalker. You get me? However, the battles here have adapted the rules of battle facilities, so every Pokemon is set to level 50 and you cannot get experience. You do get 1BP every time you win. But yeah, it's not that amazing.

CAL, I mean, uh, Cal, has remained unchanged, though now the Johto starters aren't added to your dex. Cheapskates...

Cinnabar Island

This place is still empty and depressing, but now we can climb on the volcano! Uh, later. No Rock Climb just yet.

Blue is still here, but we won't be able to challenge him just yet...

"you've got."

: ... 6... You're not ready to battle me...

Let's go get badge 7 then!

Seafoam Islands

Huh? Where's the Gym?

Pokemon Gym

Ah, here it is. Had me worried there for a second.

: It sure won't be easy to get to Blaine! But keep your cool and defeat the Trainers one by one, and you will surely find the path!

So Blaine's Gym is an actual Gym now! With Gym Trainers and a Gym Puzzle and Jim Gui! Neat!

However the puzzle isn't really one. When you beat the trainers, they step back one space in a certain direction no matter which way you talk to them. So only a couple of trainers are optional.

Well that was fun.

: But I will not give up! Take a look at this cave. We have turned it into a Gym, and I am still acting as a Gym Leader! I will give you the Gym Badge if you manage to defeat me! Are you ready? Here we go!

VS Gym Leader (Kanto)

Blaine: The Hotheaded Quiz Master!
(Blaine is a combination of blaze and flame, whereas Katsura is the name of the Japanese Judas tree. It is also the word for wig and from ka, fire)

Well don't you look all dapper, Mr Blaine. I love it! Also this guy can be pretty dangerous, but he's still got three Pokemon.

Productive.

Uh-oh, can we survive a Sunny Day boosted Overheat?

Wait, why do you still have SMOG?

Do you not want to use Overheat? Is my special wall really that intimidating?

Well might as well switch during the healing turn. It's not often SolidSnake outspeeds something!

Well now you can't use Overheat cause I x4 resist it. Too bad!

Ah, a nice clean 2HKO to avoid the Full Restore. Good good.

Hah, I still got past your tricks!

What?

Nooooooooooooooooooh well I'll just Rock Slide twice more.

Ah for crying out loud. Magmar's taking full advantage of this turns right?

K-Kinda? The sun is long gone, but all of Blaine's Pokemon hold a White Herb, letting them fire off constant sun boosted Overheats... if the AI could co-ordinate something like that. They try, bless 'em.

Stop doing that, Sizzle!

Well that was more annoying than it needed to be, who's next?

More of the same, good good.

This shouldn't be particularly difficult. But I feel like I'm walking into a trap, so let's heal.

Ahah! You can't beat me like that.

Though you can beat me like that. As well as put yourself into healing range.

gently caress

Okay, I think we'll be fine.

This, however, just prolongs the process.

Oh just die already.

A bit more of a hassle than it should've been, but still a really fun fight.

Pokemon Gym

: Take this Volcano Badge!

: It has a slight drawback, but it's powerful and well worth it!

: When I rebuild my Cinnabar Gym, we have to hold a rematch. My Fire-type Pokémon will be even stronger! Just you watch!

"challenge that Gym Leader..."

: I have witnessed a hot battle!

Only one badge left! Hot drat!

With all 7 Kanto badges, Blue will now deign to face us. Sure, we could do that right now, but might as well train as much as possible beforehand, we'll need it.

Seafoam Islands

Oh hey, there's an actual dungeon here. Let's see what we've got.

We've got strength puzzles and various items, good start. The Grip Claw makes binding moves always last for 5 turns. How not that great!

Uh, cool. We've got a few directions to go in, we could leave this dungeon right now and continue to Fuchsia, but where's the fun in that?

That's one profitable direction.

Going deeper finds us some ice puzzles. I've missed these.

And some skiers. Haven't seen them since the Mahogany Gym. Like the Bug Catchers of Viridian, they're nothing special.

There's also only the three. Let's continue on.

Hmm, again we've got a few different ways to go. Let's head down the ladder first.

Ooh, very nice. Though this does come a bit late in the game... and no one on our team can actually use this. Hmm.

We haven't seen a strength and ice puzzle together since the Ice Path.

More items. The stairs to the water don't lead anywhere, weirdly enough. That leaves one more way to go.

I don't think strength boulders, ice blocks and ice sliding is ever incorporated into one puzzle.

It's surfing time.

Hmm, nothing interesting so far, let's keep exploring.

Ladders!

Bridges!

LADDERS!

Oh hey, it's a legendary bird. What are the chances?

Wild Pokemon Battle (Kanto)

You can catch all three legendary birds in this game... after just being able to catch them in Platinum, but whatever, it's a cool little prize at the end of this dungeon. But we do have to catch the drat thing first.

Standard legendary catching applies and a 4x weakness to Rock is very helpful.

Having my prime Pokemon catcher being weak to Ice, however, is not that great.

That doesn't help either.

Let's start rolling those 7.2% chances. Oh yeah!

Hmm, fun.

We eventually bag it and tag it.

Seafoam Islands

It was even standing on a Zinc, cool.

Back up we go.

A few items left to get and we're back where we started. This revamped dungeon is actually a lot of fun, there's places to explore, a secret in the basement and some nifty puzzles. I like it a lot!

We'll continue to Fuchsia for the last few normal trainers and finally head to...

The last Kanto Gym.

Pokemon Gym

: The floor is unstable, so you should put away your Pokémon ...now! The Gym Leader is a guy who battled the Champion three years ago. He's no pushover. Give it everything you've got!

No longer do we have weird lego thingies, now it's a massive tile puzzle. And gym trainers!

They're kinda tough and employ the Trick Room strategy, but nothing else to note.

It definitely makes me pause and figure out where I should be going next. We've been doing a lot of thinking this past update, I'm not used to it.

Getting dizzy.

We need to wrap around to face this guy. Then we need to battle the double duo in the middle there.

Definitely some tough cookies that have been baked here.

It's Blue time!

: I wasn't in the mood at Cinnabar, but now I'm ready to battle you. ... You're telling me you conquered all the Gyms in Johto? Hahaha! Heh! Johto's Gyms are that pathetic? Hey, don't worry about it. I'll know it if you are good or not by battling you right now.

VS Gym Leader (Kanto)

Blue is a pretty nasty battle, his Pokemon are high levelled and have pretty snazzy movesets that you need to work around.

The main strategy of this Gym is Trick Room, but thankfully only Exeggutor knows it, or the slower members of Blue's team can deal some real damage.

Wol has no problem, but next up is Rhydon. It's got some pretty crazy coverage, so it'll probably be able to hit you for super effective damage. Still, let's see how SolidSnake does.

Iron Tail is horseshit and has missed so many times over this LP.

Oh yeah, whoops.

Alright, Arcanine is next. It's not got the crazy coverage Rhydon had, but it can still do a lot of damage, especially with Extremespeed.

After Intimidate, Rock Slide does noooooooothing. Fine then, just finish me.

...huh?

No Guard is definitely a problem, Dynamicpunch can be pretty dangerous if you get unlucky.

They always seem to have a good move for my Pokemon.

You tried, Toto.

Oh? You wanna do this?

I don't fuckin' think so.

So you're back. Is Wol up to the task?

Eh, not really.

Now this might be crazy, but I think it'll work.

That's a lot of defense on this snake!

We're getting towards the end of this fight, but this is one big obstacle.

That's scary! VeggieWrap ain't doing all that much damage!

...why do you keep doing that??? You had Ice Fang! I'm so confused.

Well let's try something else then.

Hah! Proc'd your berry.

I did not expect to see that today.

At least it's not on a dangerous Pokemon. It's cool that Pidgeot is Blue's ace, but it's not much of a battle presence. Oh well.

Uh, okay then.

I'll use this opportunity to heal up some peeps.

Okay, we finally dealt with this drat thing.

Oh yeah, this is still around.

Oh poo poo, this is still around!

Good damage.

But much too frail to take advantage of that.

Yeesh this thing is strong.

I mean, that might not seem much, but remember that this is my premier physical tank that isn't SolidSnake. That's pretty crazy damage.

I've got crazier, though.

Pokemon Gym

: ... Tch, all right... Here, take this. It's the Earth Badge.

: Here! Take this as well!

: It allows slower Pokémon to move before faster Pokémon for a while. It's a tricky move, isn't it? Hence the name! ... All right, I was wrong. You're the real deal. You are a good trainer. But I'm going to beat you someday. Don't you forget it!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

That's all the badges in the game! Whew, I've definitely had enough of badge collecting for a while.

Oh?

: I know better than anyone else how hard you're working! I thought I should get you a present or something in appreciation... Well, I picked something up, but I completely forgot to give it you! Ha ha ha! Oh, you don't have to wonder about it at all. I know it's something that will be very helpful to you. You should just come here and pick it up!

Sounds intriguing. But what could it possibly be???

We'll be finding out next time. Later!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 31, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 18: Pokewalkin' Around (HGSS)

We've seen all the cool features we can use with the Pokewalker in the games, but what exactly is this strange pedometer device that tried to make you go outside nearly a decade before Pokemon GO? Well, if you bought HGSS at launch, you probably got one, I've got one (the batteries are dead though) and adds to the remakes's insane resell price online.

As you'd think, you can send a Pokemon to the Pokewalker from the main menu and select from different courses. You can then take that Pokemon for a walk for a walk and for every 20 steps you take, you'll gain a Watt. Now does all sounds familiar? Well that's because it's a successor to the original pedometer released way baack in 1997: The Pokemon Pikachu. That's a weird name. It's a simple walking tool, the more you walk, the more Pikachu likes you and the more activities you can do with it. It's succeeded by the Pokemon Pikachu 2 GS, released in 1999. This one could interact with Gen 2 games and let you send Mystery Gifts over.

In contrast to the Pikachu walkers, the Pokewalker lets you send over any Pokemon. When you gain watts, you can use it on Poke Radar or Dowsing Machine functions. This lets you get items or brand new Pokemon to transfer back into the main game. The Pokemon you find are determined when you send a Pokemon over, so if you want something different, you'll need to resend a Pokemon. There are 27 different courses, with two unlocked to begin with. To get more, you'll need to spend Watts on them to unlock them, up to 100,000. There are also special courses that unlock when you do certain things, such as obtain a foreign Pokemon from the GTS (which you can't do anymore), or transfer a Jirachi to the game (which you also can't do anymore). There are also downloadable courses which, yeah, you can't do anymore. What fun.

With the Dowsing Machine, you're presented with 6 tufts of grass and have to select one. If you don't find anything, the game will tell you if you're near (in an adjacent patch) or far (two or more patches away). It's a 50/50 chance if you really get anything if you follow the clues directly. Each course has different items, but like the Pokemon availability, you'll need to do a certain amount of steps to be able to find these rarer things, varying from 3000 steps on the early courses, to over 10,000 on the later ones. If you send a Pokemon that has an advantageous type to that area you've sent it to, then you'll only need 75% of the steps necessary to find a rarer Pokemon. For example, in the first course, Refreshing Field, you can only find Pidgey and Sentret to begin with, as well as only finding Potions. After 500 steps, you can find both Nidoran. After 2000 steps, Doduo. And after 3000 steps you can get Kangaskhan. But if you have a Fire, Bug or Flying type, it only takes 2250 steps to get it. Items are unaffected by this, so you still need 2500 steps to have a chance of getting Revives. Postgame courses let you find Pokemon not normally found in the game, similar to the Safari Zone.

The special events courses are especially interesting, the Yellow Forest, for example, let's you get many Pikachu that have Volt Tackle, or Surf, or Fly in their movesets. When you catch a Pokemon, everything except their Nature is determined, so they have locked in movesets, gender, level and even held item for certain ones. With enough grinding you can get some really cool stuff from the Pokewalker. Though it does require you taking so many steps. That can be circumvented by just shaking it, or putting it on top of a large vibrating machine, such as a tumble drier. And of course some of these special events were only released in Japan, as is the norm.

Like I mentioned in the last update, you can communicate with other Pokewalkers and receive an item from them depending on the course they're on, with a limit of 10 items. Like with mixing records (man, remember when that was a thing?) you can only communicate with the same person once per day and your in-game team data is sent to them, allowing you to battle opponents in the Trainer House. You can even technically clone Pokemon using the Pokewalker by turning off save data while a Pokemon is being transferred, making a Pokemon be both in-game and in the Pokewalker at the same time. However, if you try to send it back to the original game, it'll be released, as the game recognizes it wasn't caught in the Pokewalker and doesn't match the data of the Pokemon that was sent to the Pokewalker (since it technically never happened).

Despite hardly anyone really making much use of it (I certainly didn't), the Pokewalker has a lot going for it, but it is pretty goddamn grindy. When effectively used, it allows you to obtain Pokemon much earlier than you normally would and gives you a constant supply of items. Plus, if you still have one, along with the game, you could probably sell it for a nice chunk of change.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Well, luckily all that pokewalker stuff was already on the cartridge anyway, so you can just use an action replay or something similar to pull it all out of hiding. Won't it be a dark day when Pokemon games stop making everything accessible within the data itself...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I used the hell out of the Pokewalker. Used it like every single day I had the game. You can get some really good stuff out of that thing, especially the early courses. Like that first course you have from the start that lets you get a Kangaskhan? As soon as yo ustart the game, basically, you can get one. I used got one just after Bugsy and used it the entire game, it was great not waiting until post game, or breeding one or dealing with a safari for it. Lots of other rare/post game pokemon or pokemon with egg moves or early good moves are all over, too.

Special shout out to two specific event courses, though. One was, so far as I know, Japan only as a Pokemon Center exclusive and let you get a Torchic. The other was international, Winner's Path, which had a bunch of rare pokemon with full move tutor movesets. But of particular note was Munchlax which had Self-Destruct. It was added as an egg move in gen 6...except the only way to get it is to specifically breed a munchlax from a snorlax that had self-destruct. If it wasn't for the Virtual Console where Snorlax can learn it by TM, the only way to get it would be
-Teach Snorlax Self-Destruct in Gale of Darkness through move tutor, transfer from gen 3 to gen 4 to gen 5 to gen 6/7, breed it
-Get Munchlax out of the pokewalker in gen 4 through a now ceased wi-fi event and transfer it to gen 5, then 6/7
-Trade for it :v:

I love it just for the nonsense involved.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Remake Blue is a very mean battle.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Oh man I loved the Pokewalker! I was a busboy when these games came out and I clocked so many steps on that bad boy. I don't remember most of the cool poo poo I got from it though. I think I got a Munchlax pretty early at some point?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You know the Pikachu you can get from the Pikachu Forest course? The ones with Fly and Surf? Those can't even be transferred to future generations due to the HM restriction. Well the Pokémon itself can but you would have to delete the special moves in order to do so :v:.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I used the Pokewalker a ton!

...and then I left it in my jeans one day and it went into the washer and that was that.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug

hopeandjoy posted:

I used the Pokewalker a ton!

...and then I left it in my jeans one day and it went into the washer and that was that.

Same thing happened to me! I lost a Lugia along with it. :(

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Should have Conquest up in a week or two. For now: an update!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 57: Silver End (HGSS)

Pallet Town

"give to you!"

: That Hidden Machine contains the move Rock Climb! When you teach it to a Pokémon, you can go up rock walls that have steps carved in them.

Sounds good, but there's a few little things to grab before we head off.

That's so much better than a HP Up.

: Wow, you have collected all the Kanto Badges already! That's great! I'll give you something cool for that.

: Turn it on and GB Sounds will let you hear some nostalgic sounds. It's a gadget full of wonder! Try it at various places! There are some places you won't hear classic music... But that's life!

We'll go over Mt. Silver in a little bit, since it's been updated for the modern age, but let's talk about the GB Sounds. It will play music of the current BGM in a Gen 2-esque way, but obviously the way the sounds are reproduced are slightly different. Any track that was in the original games are in this game, including tracks for places that didn't exist in Gen 2! There are some places that it doesn't work, such as the Battle Frontier, and some tracks that you won't be able to hear normally are still in the game, such as the Team Rocket music, are available on the radio. Neat. I'll be putting these tracks into the LP here and there.

Dragon's Den GB

"my training?"

: Humph! I took my time coming all the way here, but the Master won't tell my anything, and he's making a big deal out of it... So I decided to train my Pokémon here instead.

: We met at the Team Rocket Hideout.

: You! Where have you been all this time? Prepare to lose to me this time. I challenge you!

: Calm down. I was in a bit of a hurry then. Sorry for that. But...I always welcome challengers! Hey! How about a Double Battle?

: Humph! You can't beat me one-on-one, can you?

: Come on. A Double Battle is really not bad. Kotone, you'll be on my side!

: Well then, you over there! Will you team up with me?

: You must be kidding! That embarrassing one in the weird costume for me? No way I can battle with her!

"We'll beat Lance together!"

I don't care who's side I'm on, so long as I'm beating someone up!

Trainer Battle GB

"Leader Clair!"

This is quite the interesting double battle that's weighted so ridiculously that both Clair and Silver aren't even factors. Silver won't last long and Clair is just an annoyance. As you can see with the level disparity, it's best to make this a 1v1 situation. Now Silver only has three Pokemon, while we have all 6, so it's technically a 9v6 battle.

That Gyarados is pretty drat fast. It's a pretty tough nut to crack if you don't have any Electric moves. Guess who doesn't have any Electric moves.

I think that crit mattered. Oh well.

Hey, that's pretty lucky.

Ooh, this could be a pretty great asset, Gengar is fast and kicks all kinds of rear end.

Oh, never mind, rip.

Guh? Buuuuuuuuuuuh??? ...kill stealer.

Hmm, this Gyarados is gonna take some chipping away.

This is not going well.

Or is it???

Alright, one more of those and Clair will be on her last Pokemon. ...it'll be her Kingdra, but still!

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well that sure was a turn.

This battle is just swings and roundabouts, christ.

Man, I am really liking this Crobat!

It's not as bad as you think, Kingdra doesn't have the best Special Attack after all.

If Crobat could Toxic the Gyarados, that'd be great.

We are doing weirdly well considering the situation we're in.

Like I've never had Silver last this long and also be this useful!

That's Clair out of the running and Gyarados down. It's a 2v1!

Ah jk, it's back to a 1v1, like it should be. Seriously though, we took down 4 Pokemon, usually Silver just gets knocked out by turn 5 or something, it was very refreshing. I also choose now to heal the paralysis, cause the AI will just inflict it again given the chance.

Also Toto is being a real boss right now, my most dependable Dragon killer along with SolidSnake.

Ah goddammit, fine, go get 'em, Sizzle.

Alright, don't get smug.

Our final challenge is the big cheese, the really strong Dragonite.

Ah jk, it's a total pushover.

Now it will absolutely nuke stuff with Draco Meteor, but being the final Pokemon in the fight, it'll keep its stat drops, becoming less and less potent with every use. Now it's not a big deal at all.

It still has Fire Punch, but if you've got a Water, Fire, or Rock type, you're set to take this thing on. It might even drop an ineffectual Draco on you again, just for fun.

Okay please stop using your awful Attack stat on me.

Ah screw it, Toto's got this.

Yeah, we're good.

Oh COME ON. Fine, I'll heal someone up so Toto doesn't get the kill, he's got enough experience for now.

And it can't even do that right! Sheesh!

Anticlimax Quick Claw go!

: But that's not all there is to Pokémon battle. Although I don't feel it's necessary to remind you guys. See you, Kotone, another time!

: ...Kotone, it was a fun battle. That goes for you, too, wise guy.

: It wasn't supposed to go this way... Anyway, I am not giving up beating you! I'll train my Pokémon and...my own heart, too. I'll come back as the toughest challenge for you!

Oh really?

Put your money where your mouth is, boy!

: You're going to take the Pokémon League challenge now? You'll have to give up on that. My well-trained-beyond-recgonition Pokémon are going to pound you. Right now, right here! I challenge you!

Rival Battle GB

Hmm, if there's one thing I could say about Silver...

Is that his character is pretty cool.

But man his team sucks. The remakes could've given him a Weavile and Magnezone. That'd be pretty cool. The rest of his team is alright, but he never felt like much of a challenge. Neither did Blue, but you felt cathartic after pushing his dumb face in. With Silver? Meh, I'm rooting for him instead.

On second thought, gently caress Silver, I hope he never appears in my LPs again.

Get outta here.

Uh, cool?

Well that was fun.

Whoops, fast special attacking Poison type, how did I forget?

Hrm

Man that's annoying.

But Psycho Cat living on 1HP to get the kill, NICE

I think we've got this battle in the bag, but it has been fun so far. Not particularly difficult (aside from Gengar), but fun.

Yeah I'm not that worried.

And this just seals the deal.

Final Pokemon time.

It'll be close, but I think we've got this.

Well that's really annoying. I should've expected it, really.[/i]

Ah goddammit.

Well VeggieWrap should be fine.

Oh god this is not okay.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Light Screen.

C'mon, just hit yourself.

Noooooooooo

Fine, we'll just end it the good ol' fashioned way.

: OK. I lost...

: I...I have to believe more in my Pokémon... ...No big deal. Sorry to have got in the way. Don't forget to rest your Pokémon before you challenge the Champion!

Farewell kid with red hair.

Elm's Laboratory GB

: That's the last thing I expected! Guess what Professor Elm said to him. "It seems that your Pokémon already likes you so much. For a Pokémon, the best happiness is to be with someone it loves. I think it should stay with you." ... Isn't it moving? It made me cry! The one who took it... I mean the red-haired boy came up with the Pokémon. But I saw his face as he passed me here. He looked so happy!

That closes that chapter of the story. We'll round this update out with Mt. Silver Cave. It's changed a fair bit, making it more of an intricate dungeon.

Right when you enter you have a choice of going left or right. We'll head left first, as while we no longer require Flash to get through this place, we do need Waterfall.

We also need Rock Climb, the place is full of rocky areas like this. Oh boy is it ever.

I'm technically counting it as a new dungeon, as we'll see very shortly how much it's changed radically.

It's another legendary bird! After going from Victory Road, to Mt. Ember, to roaming in Sinnoh, Moltres has settled here. Until it goes and runs around Kalos in a parallel universe or something.

Good booty.

It's time to catch yet another legendary. Ah well, there's probably not that many left anyway.

Mine hurt a lot more than yours.

Goddammit Wol

Ah, right, hmm. What to do about this?

Capital idea, gently caress that bullshit.

With that out of the way, let's continue back on the main path.

With the advent of crazy 3D, we're actually scaling up a mountain.

Stealth Rock, the move we'll never be free of until the end of time.

We can duck back into the main cave to get some items, nothing too extravagant.

Alright, next section.

This is a big circular (well, squared) room.

Around and around we go.

Getting dizzy

Lots of rock smashing too.

Let's head back out.

We've now gotten so high it's now snowing. Neat!

I think we're getting a lot of items.

In and out, shake the snow about.

If you were worried that this Gen 4 game didn't have plenty of places to Rock Climb, then think again. It's awful!

Some good stuff.

Onto the final push.

Alright, that's nearly everything.

We'll enter the final cave.

Grab the final item.

And at the very summit?

Something we're really not ready for right now.

So away we go. Next time, we'll be heading back to the Battle Frontier for... the worst facility. Look forward to it.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 14, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think you're missing some screenshots or dialogue at the part where you visit the lab after beating Silver at the League. (I'm on mobile so I can't quote the part, sorry.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah okay I maaaaaaaaay have had a nice break from this, but Conquest will begin in August! Pinky promise!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 58: The Battle Hall (HGSS)

Battle Hall

The third battle facility! It's kinda really bad, but we're doing it anyway.

Let's see today's contenders.

Well I let you guys vote on it and you chose Slaking. I hate you guys, but we'll make this work. I will make this work.

Alright, let's get this over with.

What a beautiful picture.

So the lovely gimmick of this facility is the type board. Bring one species of Pokemon in with you to fight against every single type in 1v1 battles.

We'll go up against the Ghost type first.

This is a tough postgame facility, let's see how tough things are from the start.

I think choosing Slaking is taking it easy on me, you guys.

At the end of the battle you're fully healed and ready to take on the next one.

Next one.

Oh hey that was quick. The main reason to knock out the Ghost and Bug battles is so you don't have to worry about bringing a Pokemon that can hit Shedinja super effectively. That's the entire reason why Funky has Shadow Claw.

7 boring battles later, it's time to face the rank 10 Ghost battle.

One shotted by Shadow Claw? Alright, cool.

Right, that's 10 battles and 1 type down. 160 battles and 16 types left.

Alright, what type next?

Our Choice Scarf Konga will outspeed everything and destroy the more frailer, faster opponents.

Ah poo poo.

There are problems with using Slaking, mostly its ability. It isn't a factor if we destroy something in one hit with Giga Impact, but if the Pokemon survives, then it needs to be knocked out on the third turn, or it'll take us out. We also can't be 2HKOed since the second turn of the fight is always a freebie for the opponent. So I will be using save states a lot, cause you have little room for error in a 1v1 situation. Especially on this lovely facility.

I'll be switching between Funky and Konga when necessary since if I restore a state and choose another type instead of continuing the fight where I lost, the Pokemon will hopefully change for the better for me to try later. Sure it's gaming the system, but man, gently caress the system. Also gently caress the low rewards.

Well gently caress me I guess. There are times when, no matter the Pokemon you use, you'll just get screwed over. Obviously if you lose you start from battle 1 all over again and that really sucks in this kind of facility.

Just go for types you've got super effective moves against since it'll make the battles go faster.

Alright, battle 40.

: In recognition of your remarkable winning streak, our Frontier Brain is demanding a match with you. Actually, you have no choice. You must battle our Hall Matron!

Well okay then.

I love that Slaking was chosen.

"preferred Pokémon."

: I imagine there were some tense moments getting here with your chosen one. But understand that one shines brightest when a challenge is overcome. I am Argenta, and I am your final and most daunting challenge. I dare you to overcome my challenge.

VS Frontier Brain

Like Thorton, Argenta has a pool of Pokemon that she'll randomly choose from in your 1v1 battle, matched to your level, so you can get very lucky or super unlucky. The Pokemon used in the Battle Hall are different than the ones used in the Battle Factory (and thus different to those used in the Battle Frontier itself).

So yeah, this was basically no contest. The pool of Pokemon Argenta can choose from is found here. This is also the list of Pokemon that start appearing for a type match of Rank 6 or higher. Basic stage Pokemon in Group 1 appear from rank 1-5, while Stage 1 Pokemon and some fully evolved Pokemon in Group 2 appear from rank 3-8.

Maybe you should've gone for Eruption.

Battle Hall

: A good one keeps with their favorite without drama or fanfare. That is how I see it, at least. And, by the way I see it, you're an excellent Trainer! Be sure to visit the Battle Hall again with a favorite Pokémon. Until then, bye-bye!

I wish we could end things there, but nope, gotta continue to Gold.

Another print.

We're halfway there!

We're diving back in. Just gotta keep battling to get through all the types.

As we get higher in rank for a certain type, as well as continue our overall streak, we start facing some real tough Pokemon as their levels slowly start to catch up to ours.

Still, Choice Band Giga Impact from 346 Attack REALLY HURTS.

: Your total win-streak has reached 50. Here is your BP reward.

Your overall streak is tracked in this facility for a couple of different things. You get a BP reward for reaching certain milestones, though the amount you get also includes the milestones you went past ages ago, so I got the reward for 10, 30 and 50 all in one go. The streak then goes up by 50 until 500, then it goes up by 100 until 1000, then it goes up by 200 until 2000, where you get a 50BP reward. We're gonna get a 170 streak reward at the end of this facility and that's as high as I'll go.

Not only that, when you reach certain (large) milestones, you'll get fans appearing in the top left. To begin with, you just get an NPC depending on your gender, Winston if female and Serena if male. In Platinum, when you get a total record of 500, you'll get Rowan's assistant cheering you on. After 1000, you'll get your Mom and after 10,000, you'll get Oak or Jasmine. HGSS starts at 1000, where you'll get your Mom or Ethan/Lyra, with 10,000 getting you Oak or Whitney. I dunno what poor sap found that out, but screw getting that high a record for something like that.

Ah, 4x super effective moves are great to use.

Well poo poo. Oh well, it won't be able to knock my out in two hits.

FUK, RELOAD

Slowly whittling down all the various types, god this is tedious even with the emulator speeding everything up!

Getting some mad bank though.

Ah poo poo, a Protect user. This is the easiest way to make Slaking completely useless. Well, let's go elsewhere until we get a good result.

Much better.

Nearly done. The worst part of this facility is most of it is completely uninteresting. 170 battles is way too much. Sometimes there's moments in video games where if you halve the number of something you need to reach and it doesn't change anything, then it's just bad padding. This could've easily been up to rank 5 and it would be much better.

And here's the last Pokemon before Argenta Round 2. You may think we got to this bit quick but that's because every battle from rank 1-7 is completely uninteresting. Only when you get to 8-10 do the Pokemon start being even slightly interesting. That means at least 117 of the battles you need to do in this facility are boring and not worth showing. That's pretty lovely.

So nearly two hours since I started this drat area (with speed up and most battles ending in 1 turn), let's finally finish it.

: It's got star power beyond belief. Even from inside its Poké Ball, I can feel its charismatic brilliance. But I'm the Hall Matron. I'll be the judge of that. I must battle it for myself and see if that brilliance is genuine. That is why we must battle now.

VS Frontier Brain

Battle 170!

Now this is interesting. We won't be able to knock this out in one shot, especially since I'm using Konga as Funky faced the Brain last time.

Hmm, this ain't good. Of course it just about 2HKOs us. But it could've been a high roll and Blizzard could miss.

Of course not. So let's go through all 169 battles ALL OVER AGAIN TO GET TO THIS POINT gently caress THAT

Ooh, much better. But is there a catch?

No there's not. What a way to end this garbage facility.

Battle Hall

: That goes for any and every kind of Pokémon, too. Spread that message in your own words. It's one everyone should hear. And now, having lost, this lady has nothing left to say at all, but... Bye-bye!

That's another print down. Now there's only two facilities left! Feels like we're nearly done with this crazy idea.

Not bad.

But let's be honest, this update is pretty short cause I cut out most of the facility cause it's boring garbage. So let's show off our joint second votes of Porygon-Z and Shedinja, both interesting to use in this facility.

The board is reset if you use another species of Pokemon, or if you cleared it and continue with the same species you were using.

Uh, hmm, okay.

With Adaptability and Hyper Beam, Porygon-Z can do SO MUCH DAMAGE JESUS. Just obliterating everything.

And with strong type coverage, it can easily take out other types, it's a very useful Pokemon to use in this facility.

Shedinja is just a fun option if you wanna blow off some steam, like me.

Up against certain types and Pokemon you'll have absolutely no problem sweeping through everything.

Fun times.

But anyway, it's time to move on from the Hall and next time we take on the Frontier, we'll be taking down the Battle Castle. Later!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I actually liked Battle Hall the best. It was fairly low effort for my untrained team to try out and the only one I could beat consistently.

They're all pretty tedious so the specific brand of tedium here never bothered me. Though I also didn't shot gun it in one session

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I like the concept of the battle hall, and having so many piss easy tiers means you can get pretty far with your favourite even if it's not optimally trained, but yeah the tedium is ridiculous.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 59: Rock Climbin' Around

That's what we're doing this update. It's gonna be a fun time! While we're nearby, let's talk about Headbutt trees some more. In the postgame, you can now find Wurmple and Combee in various Headbutt trees around the two regions, but there are also certain specific trees in certain places that you can find one specific Pokemon. Taillow can be found in the tree just above where Kotone is now. Slakoth, Starly, Burmy and Cherubi can also be found in specific trees here and there. Look 'em up, yo.

Did you even remember these Rock Climb locations? They're definitely not ones I've commited to memory, but I do remember most of them. Thankfully there are online lists that list HM locations.

The items are worth it, kinda.

That's been taunting me for a while.

Route 47 GB

And hey, while we're nearby...

: That's me, Crasher Wake! Who dares to talk to me so freely? Oh! You are that mask-fanatic Trainer I saw at Celadon Dept. Store!

"to come see it."

: This waterfall is awesome! No human or Pokémon can survive without water, yet that same water can sometimes cause great suffering.

: I hope you'll become a Trainer with the qualities of water--strong, tough to beat, yet refreshing. Good luck, mask-fanatic Kotone!

Also also while we're nearby...

: It's said that past this hole used to be a huge tower reaching far into the sky. They say that it was a strange tower with half of it embedded in the cliff. It was not just a tall tower reaching up to the sky, but also reaching deep down underground! It is rumored that it even reached the bottom of the ocean! In short, the ruins used to connect the sky, the land, and the sea to each other... Most of the tower is now crumbled, and the only things that remain are the entrance and its interior, where you'll see strange patterns.

I love my expository Hikers.

Well there's gently caress all here, so I guess it's just unfinished, typical Game Freak.

Mt. Mortar GB

There's Rock Climb in Mt. Mortar, letting you reach these lighter areas.

Gotta shove these items somewhere!

Items and items.

This connects back to the right hand entrance.

And here's the outside bit, whoa.

That's Mt. Mortar done.

This one is definitely worth it, don't get many of these.

Now to Kanto for the next lot. We can reach the upper area of Diglett's Cave now.

Ah good, we'll need this for later.

And the rest, very nice.

I don't know why this exists.

Next stop!

Good poo poo!

Cinnabar Island GB

Time to loot a volcano!

Lots of small rocks to climb down, bit annoying.

Now we're just rolling in useless junk, just how I like it!

And there we go! It's cool they added in Rock Climb, but like hell I remember every location.

Now there's a million little things we need to do and then this LP is complete. What fun. So we got the Rainbow Wing way back in Pewter City, so we need to catch the other bird.

Hmm, nah.

Much better.

Goldenrod City GB

Next up, this "event"!

: ... ... ... cute! Where did you get that... oh-so-cute Pokémon? SHAYMIN, is it? It's so cute! I know! Let me give it a flower! I have just the one for it!

: Put it on SHAYMIN in the daylight.

If you use the Gracidea on Land Forme Shaymin, it becomes Sky Forme. It will only be in this forme during the day and so long as it's not frozen. It's a pretty cool hedgehog and it'll flinch you all day with Serene Grace Air Slash.

Hey, guess what time it is. It's time to catch the goddamn roamers. There's 3 to find, Entei and Raikou in Johto and Latias in HG Kanto, or Latios in SS Kanto, whichever one wasn't part of the Enigma Stone event.

Unlike Gen 2 where you had to outspeed the roamer in order to do anything to it, fleeing now has a priority of -7, very helpful.

We'll see you very soon. Route 37 is still the best place to hunt for roamers since you're very close to an area change. Once it gets close enough, just chase it down using the Pokegear. While it's not as quick as the Marking Map in Gen 4, it's not too bad, a hell of a lot better than the Gen 2 method of blind luck.

You can tell if a dog is on the same route as you since it's obviously nowhere else, but a couple of white pixels show up behind your sprite. Can you see them?

Also gently caress roamers, I'm just using an AR code to catch them instantly, makes my life a lot easier and saves me tracking these drat Pokemon over an afternoon.

Entei still has the damage we inflicted on it way back on Route 42.

Now get in the loving ball.

Oh yeah, now that we've gotten 16 badges, we can now catch Zapdos outside the Power Plant. So let's do that.

It can do gently caress all against SolidSnake, so we can easily whittle it down.

I even caught it in a matching ball, just because.

Now the last roamer. Best place to get it is on Route 5, as you can go up and down between areas very quickly and hop down when need be.

Oh yeah, since I used a Latios in the Battle Arcade I've already got the dex entry for it. I forgot pokesav did that.

Let me never encounter another roamer again... until I LP a game with them in it.

Cerulean Cave GB

To end off the update we'll be exploring Cerulean Cave. It's back and hopefully it doesn't suck like it did in Gen 1.

I love the aesthetic of this place, it's great.

Let's ruin that by heading up into the maze.

Wow this TM is late.

Thankfully each part of the crystal maze is divided up so you're not wandering aimlessly. So let's keep surfing around.

Let's see where this ladder leads.

Nowhere, it seems...

How about this ladder?

Okay, much better. Back down we go.

I love final dungeons where you just get showered with really strong items that I'll never use. Great fun.

Open world already.

Good haul.

We'll ignore the ladder for now to go on a bridge adventure.

Bridges can't actually look like that in real life... right?

Hmm, a way back to the entrance, but we won't need that.

Back to the maze.

why

Okay, that looks like the exit up there, but how do we get to it?

Hmm, a fork in the path. Let's head left!

Dead end, right it is!

Okay I'd like to get off this wild ride now.

Surely we've gotten all the incenses by now... right?

Now we've made it to the end of the maze. Last floor now.

Oh good, more stuff to Rock Climb.

We need to head back anyway, cause we skipped over a bit of this floor and we can't have that can we?

So back we go.

I'm glad I'm not being interrupted by wild Pokemon every 5 seconds.

And we're back to the rocky bit. Let's Surf!

Lotta balls around.

Why put a smashable rock in front of that? To pad this out? You don't need to do that!

Okay, surely that's all of those Gen 4 evolution items... right?

Can't forget this item! ...actually it's pretty useful in certain competitive situations, I like it.

Finally, we've arrived at the end and at Mewtwo.

Wild Pokemon Battle (Kanto) GB

Last time we faced this thing, it wrecked us. What does it have now?

Hmm, not bad, but obviously Amnesia doesn't work like it used to.

...what

Well that's enough out of you. This Mewtwo uses its level up moveset in this battle... making it completely rubbish. It still has a good Attack stat, so it can definitely hurt. But with only 1 attacking move, it'll waste its turns more often than not.

Still annoying to catch.

But there we go.

And with that, we're done with this cave and indeed this update. Next time it's Battle Castle time, oh yeah!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You missed a Pokeball! :argh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

HGSS at least only has 3 roamers. Platinum has FIVE. And three of those have a recovery move because gently caress you
And one last "the levels in the game are bad" for the road because mewtwo's dungeon's levels are all trash.

Side note: it is impressive that even in gen 2 the whole "roamers remember the damage dealt" thing working. Gen 2 is obviously not as wonky as Gen 1 was but considering how half the apricorn balls work and so on...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Roamers would be an incredibly terrible idea if they didn't remember damage.

Not that they're a particularly good idea, but they'd be even worse without that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You missed a Pokeball! :argh:

If you remember, I had to restart my save file due to not being able to fight Clair, so I rushed through the game and haven't picked anything up. Besides, it's just a TM I'll never use, so eh.

rannum posted:

HGSS at least only has 3 roamers. Platinum has FIVE. And three of those have a recovery move because gently caress you
And one last "the levels in the game are bad" for the road because mewtwo's dungeon's levels are all trash.

Platinum's roamers aren't too bad since the Marking Map and Route 204 makes things a lot easier to track them. I can catch all 5 within the space of an hour or so. Also all Pokemon dungeons are trash, but some less so than others! I think this Unknown Dungeon ain't that bad, aside from all the HMs.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

If you remember, I had to restart my save file due to not being able to fight Clair

Oh, I actually forgot that. Sorry.

• Locked thread