Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

If you remember, I had to restart my save file due to not being able to fight Clair, so I rushed through the game and haven't picked anything up. Besides, it's just a TM I'll never use, so eh.

Platinum's roamers aren't too bad since the Marking Map and Route 204 makes things a lot easier to track them. I can catch all 5 within the space of an hour or so. Also all Pokemon dungeons are trash, but some less so than others! I think this Unknown Dungeon ain't that bad, aside from all the HMs.

Pokemon levels, not floors in a dungeon
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cerulean_Cave#Generation_IV

They're not great!

e: in contrast, i typically enjoy most pokemon dungeons. Most bottom out at "its a decent change of scenery" and hampered more by encounter rate. But others at least have nice aesthetics and a maze aint too bad every now & then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, uh, that makes more sense. I didn't look at the levels, yeah they're really bad!

It also reminds me to mention the postgame radio channels in an update.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Apparently, Embedded Tower lets you catch Kyogre or Groundon is you have a Blue or Red Orb....? Which you get after being given a Kanto starter after beating Red...?? And then you can catch Rayquaza after showing off to Professor Oak.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
If you give it time, I think CP is gonna get around to it buddy

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Seaogre posted:

Apparently, Embedded Tower lets you catch Kyogre or Groundon is you have a Blue or Red Orb....? Which you get after being given a Kanto starter after beating Red...?? And then you can catch Rayquaza after showing off to Professor Oak.

Actually, in order for that to work, you need a Groudon from someone with a "Heart of Gold" and a Kyogre from someone with a "Soul of Silver". You need to trade to get Rayquaza.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Silegna posted:

Actually, in order for that to work, you need a Groudon from someone with a "Heart of Gold" and a Kyogre from someone with a "Soul of Silver". You need to trade to get Rayquaza.

Oops, I misread. I thought you only needed one to get the Jade Orb from Oak. But I guess I'm not too surprised. A lot of the extra legendaries in ORAS require trading to the other version to get both lesser members of a trio to catch the last third.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I'll be getting to that next update. But not this update!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 60: The Battle Castle

Battle Castle

What's happening dawg? It's time for the second to last facility and this one is actually really good!

We've got our three Pokemon for the first 21 battles and we start off with Patrick the Crawdaunt, by Sjs00. With some strong STAB moves and crit protection, we should be doing lots of damage. And Swagger if we're feeling lucky.

Next up is Green Bull the shiny Tauros, by FoolyCharged. An all out attacker with some strong moves to work with. Oh yes this should be fun to use.

Finally, we've got Crafty the Porygon-Z, by MagusofStars. A strong special attacker with two hard hitting moves to cover everything except Steel. Then there's Conversion2 (which I never use, sorry!) and Thunder Wave, which is very nice.

Let's head up.

: I will be your host on behalf of Lady Caitlin, the owner of the castle. First, I must ask you for any items your Pokémon are holding. They will be returned to you when you leave. Next, I have here 10 Castle Points, CP, that can be used only here. They are for you. Please accept them. Please choose what you wish to do.

Here's the main gimmick of the Battle Castle, as you battle through the facility you earn CP after battle. They're used to buy all kinds of things, so let's go over them.

The big thing is that HP and PP are not replenished in between battles. It's not a huge deal since it's not expensive to restore HP and if you're smart about your moves you'll never have to restore PP. However, you can only restore HP to begin with, you need to increase your rank to do other things. A lot of it isn't necessary to do, but I'll show everything off. It costs 10CP to fully heal a Pokemon and 100CP to rank up to restore PP.

Unlike the Battle Arcade where you mostly won't get different items, you can pick and choose in this facility, but of course you need to rank up to get to the good stuff. Right now we can choose between 8 different berries, none of which we need to use. The status healing berries are 2CP each, while the Lum and Sitrus berries are 5CP each. Ranking up to rent an additional 12 items costs 100CP.

We can also do certain things to affect our opponent before we face them.

To begin with, the only thing you'll find out is a Pokemon's gender, or indeed lack thereof.

For 1CP, you can find out what species of Pokemon you'll be facing. Not too amazing I know, but the big thing is raising a Pokemon's level. You can increase it to 55 for 1CP, or decrease it to 45 for 15CP. You can change the level as much as you want, so long as you've got the CP.

For the entire facility we'll be fighting level 55 Pokemon. It makes a nice change and we'll be rewarded for doing so. You can view a Pokemon's stats, ability, etc for 2CP and can upgrade to see their moves for 50CP.

Bit of a longer explanation for a facility to begin with, but it's pretty cool the amount of things we can do with our CP.

Everything's gonna be level 55, so hopefully our Pokemon can power through.

Darn. Well it's not a big deal.

Like every facility, it starts off very easy, so we can have some fun and switch things up a bit.

After each battle Darach will award us CP for how we did in battle. The conditions for this are:

If we fulfil all the criteria as best as we can, we can get a max of 50CP (9+9+3+8+21) every battle. Though most times we'll get just under that.

And now we can spend them as we wish. Most of the time I'll just be healing my Pokemon and boosting the opponent's levels so I can stockpile CP. We're gonna need a good amount if we want to have fun in this facility.

Oh whoops, that's 6CP lost right there.

But now you're in trouble.

Enough of this!

Thankfully we don't have to spend CP to revive our Pokemon but they're only revived to 1HP, meaning you still need to heal them if you don't want them to faint again.

Flawless. Green Bull can easily sweep through the opposing team and it doesn't even have an item yet!

Teamwork! We're getting a nice chunk of CP change, we should definitely spend that.

Now we've got some items available. To rank up and get 32 different kinds of berries and 27 different items we need another 150CP. Oof.

The selection we have right now isn't too amazing, but there's some nice stuff if you have a certain Pokemon or strategy. I could get a King's Rock for Patrick, but we're close to the end of the streak, so there's no point.

Eh, still better than the Battle Hall. At the end of the streak any items you bought will be returned and you'll have to buy them again on the next streak.

Back in we go.

We get 10CP added every time we start a new streak and we've got a nice stockpile already. We should be able to get some sweet items this run.

The problem with Download.

We'll manage though.

Going pretty well so far, even if the opposing Pokemon are getting tougher.

With rank 3 items, we can now get a Life Orb for Crafty and a Choice Band for Green Bull. This will make them even more potent during their tenure. With the rank up we can get basically every berry you can think of, from the stat boosting ones in a pinch, to the type reduction ones. The same for items, you've got your healing ones, your choice items, all the ones you definitely want to put on your team.

Just in case you were wondering, the opponents all have items, it's not like the Battle Arcade. And of course when you level a Pokemon up, only its stats increase, their moves and items don't change.

Alright, two down!

Since we've got some spare CP, we'll get the move list rank up. Now for 5CP we can find out what moves our opponent has, meaning if you know your stuff well enough, you know exactly what Pokemon you're facing against without spending anything else.

Well this is fun.

Nothing's stopping this bull.

Octillery are weird man.

Yes, this is Patrick.

Really strutting his stuff towards the end of his run. Though that Future Sight image is BULLSHIT

And we end as we began, with an angrey bull.

: You are to be commended on your mastery for keeping the streak alive. Our owner, appreciating your worth, demands you battle the Castle Valet. You are prepared, yes?

We're at the Frontier Brain! We can use our CP to mess around with their Pokemon if we want. I'm gonna show off the move buying.

Can you guess what we're facing?

But who could it be?

Woah plot twist! Also how did he do that?

: Lady Caitlin, my employer, is not one to accept defeat willingly. However, for a reason I'm not at liberty to disclose, she cannot battle. Consequently, I will do battle in her ladyship's place. ...Let me assure you that you won't be shortchanged by facing me. En garde!

VS Frontier Brain

Ah it's good to fight a Frontier Brain with a set team again. It does have some variety, however, Darach can pick from two different teams. The only thing that changes is the movesets, but he can mix and match, as we saw when I bought the movesets.

Well that's not the best start, but it's no biggie.

Choice Band is too good.

It does come with one problem though...

OHOHOHOHOHOHO

No stop that.

Oh nice, with a +1 boost we just knock it out in one hit. Man, you guys went easy on me for this first go through.

: My hat's off to you.

Battle Castle

: I drew on every reserve of experience and etiquette handed down through our heritage of glorious servitude. But even then, I failed to fend off your inspired and inspiring challenge. I shall see to appeasing Lady Caitlin's displeasure at my loss. Kotone, please do return to our Battle Castle. We will be delighted and feel privileged to have you back!

: ... Darach! CP for this trainer at once!

Oh, uh, thanks?

We get our standard reward.

And get our next print.

Only 3 more to go, the end is in sight!

It's time to meet our next 3 Pokemon. We've got Dial M the Infernape, by Yorkshire Tea. Some good moves to really lay in the pain, so what does the M stand for? We'll find out.

Next up is Blue Flame the shiny Houndoom, by Some Numbers. While having two Fire types might be a bit much, they do pretty different things, as this one sets up to destroy his foes. HP Grass helps a lot too to get around those pesky Water types.

Last up is Saitama the Breloom, by Dr Fetus. With plenty of set up opportunities with Spore or Substitute, this Pokemon can really take things out with just one punch.

Starting with the 4th streak we are now able to just skip a battle entirely for 50CP. While you do want to save up as much as you can, we need to get the last couple ranks after all, if you don't like the look of the next battle, you can just go right past it. Obviously you can't skip the last battle of a streak.

Since we've saved up enough, we can attach items to our Pokemon immediately. Very nice!

Dial M can start us off every battle with some free damage.

...is what I want to say if our opponent didn't have Shield Dust.

Oh well, it's not a big deal.

Mmm, yes.

Before long we're gonna be rolling in the cash again.

Alright, let's get this pain train rolling.

Okay these abilities are getting annoying.

Here we fuckin go!

Oh you think that'll stop me?

ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH

Gonna get as many HP Grass kills as I can. It's also nice having some momentum against a bad matchup, since LO U-turn does a lot of damage.

OHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Alright this team is a lot of fun. I even got a U-turn OHKO!

And we're just climbing through the streaks. During this time I upgraded the healing abilities, even though I don't use them aside from the full heal. For 100CP we can rank up and fully heal PP for 8CP. For another 100CP we can rank up and now fully heal a Pokemon's HP and PP for 12CP, a 6CP discount. Eh.

And with that, we're on the final streak.

Well I've got to show off the Pass feature, right?

Well Lady Caitlin might not like it, but yeah, that's one battle skipped. But see, look at all that CP I've amassed. I've upgraded everything, I don't need to spend it on info of my opponent, or on items. It's just burning a hole in my pocket, y'know?

Hey, waste not, want not.

With that, we've skipped 6 fights and are now at the Frontier Brain again. Nice!

This is the final battle, so we should be prepared. Though I'm not buying the moves, I don't want to spoil myself that much.

: Kotone, you certainly are to be commended. ...However, if I may say so, I noticed something about the way you battle. After all, I had the opportunity to watch you closely firsthand. So, what is it that I noticed? As a Trainer myself, it is but proper etiquette to show you in battle. Let us begin! En garde!

VS Frontier Brain

Sorry Empoleon, maybe next time you'll have a better lead matchup.

This Gallade is a problem, but let's do as much damage as we can.

...Breloom is faster right?

Okay good.

Alright, the final Pokemon standing between us and victory.

Okay, this thing is faster.

Alas the ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH just wasn't enough.

But we've done it, going out in style and thankfully hitting the attack.

Battle Castle

: What I'd perceived to be a weakness was only illusory... Or, perhaps you corrected it in the course of our battle. Regardless, your performance was stunning again. Though she cannot say it, Lady Caitlin appears quite taken by your style. For her sake at the very least, please do return to our Battle Castle!

: ... Darach! CP for this trainer at once!

That's another facility down and this one was a lot of fun, I like it.

Only one more left to go, goddamn.

Next time we return to the Battle Frontier, it's time for the good old slugfest of the Battle Tower.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pokemon Special suggests that Caitlin's reason for not battling is that-

Actually, see for yourself.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
AWWW YEAH its Patrick Star! Thanks for using my suggestion!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
BLUEFLAME!!! :swoon:

I'm so glad he did so much work for you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 61: Ring For More Postgame

PokeMart GB

Welcome back to the postgame, there's still quite a lot of things to do, so let's do them!

"have to be my dad."

: Ha! You don't know a thing! The best trainer in the world is Koga, one of the Elite Four! Namely--my dad!

: You are mistaken. My dad treats Poké...

: Please stop this! Why don't you just admit that my dad is the true Trainer!

"greater, right?"

I miss my dad... Uh, anyway, I don't know your dad, so I don't bloody know.

: Oh, well. You'll change your mind eventually.

"is greater?"

Uh yeah, sure, whatever.

: You do? Just as I thought! You know something? I'm sure we'll enjoy talking about my dad! Here is my number!

"my dad!"

Wow, that sounds great. Yeah, we're gonna be getting some Gym Leader numbers in this update in order to rematch them. They can be found in different places at different times that you basically need a guide for. Falkner is found in the Celadon Department Store at any time after you beat Janine. As you can guess, we need to call him Saturday morning to rematch him.

Viridian Forest GB

We'll be going in battle order even though that's not the best way of doing things at all. But hey, I can put these screenshots in any order!

"a stronger Bug-type Pokémon Trainer!

: Hey, why don't we swap phone numbers?

"Give me a call!"

Bugsy is in the Viridian Forest all day Thursday, so easy enough.

While we're in Viridian Forest we should catch a Pikachu. You'll see.

PokeMart GB

: Do you want to exchange phone numbers? Please?

: Give me a call when you've got time.

Whitney is found at the Goldenrod Department Store every day between 12pm and 4pm.

This place is cool.

: But that does not mean that I have lost out on my future. I will continue training until I discover a new future for me. Say, do you want to be part of my training?

Morty is found on the Bellchime Trail at any time on Monday and Tuesday.

Cianwood City GB

Next up is a real easy number.

: He should be able to chat with you then.

If you're only interested in grinding for the final postgame challenges, then getting Chuck's number and rematching him is the quickest and easiest. You can get his number from his wife at any time and his rematch period is during the night, meaning you can call him over and over again to refight him. Very quick and easy.

Olivine City GB

Jasmine's up next!

: These empty dishes in front of me are not all mine... Er... Actually the person who sat here ahead of me ate a lot... Anyway, do you want to exchange phone numbers?

: I should be able to battle you around noon on Wednesdays. I'll be waiting for your call!

Seems like Jasmine is a bit of a glutton. My kinda girl. She can be found at the Olivine Cafe on any day between 1pm and 2pm.

Route 42 GB

It's rainy days here at the Lake of Rage.

"raging lake."

: This must have some purpose that we meet again. Why don't we exchange phone numbers?

"body a spine."

: You could be a good training partner. I'll be waiting for your call!

Pryce can be found at the Lake of Rage any time it is raining, so not Wednesday, between 6am to 10am.

Dragon's Den GB

Let's meet the final Johto leader.

: I may have time to listen to you. If you insist, I can exchange numbers, too!

B-Baka! Clair is found at the Dragon's Den at any day between 6am and 10am, but only if you've beaten her and Lance in that double battle. There's a reason we're doing these rematches so late, as some of them have a few caveats. We've also hit a training wall, so it's necessary.

Diglett's Cave GB

Guess where we're gonna find Brock.

"don't you agree?"

: By the way, do you want to exchange numbers?

: Give me a call on Saturday nights!

Brock can be found in Diglett's Cave at any day, between 12pm and 3pm. However, like most Kanto Gym Leaders, you need to beat Blue first. You can get numbers after you beat the Elite Four, but you do need to beat Blue to schedule rematches.

Route 25 GB

Misty's next.

: Right! Why don't we exchange numbers?

: Give me a call on Wednesday morning if you want another battle with me!

After beating or catching Suicune (since it respawns in the Burned Tower) and beating Blue, you can find Misty here on the cape any day between 4pm and 6pm. Just in time for the sunset!

Route 10 GB

What a surprise. However, Surge has a few things you need to do before you get his number. Remember that Pikachu?

"PIKACHU!"

: Excellent! I'll give you my telephone number!

: Give me a call on Friday morning! We can have an electrifying battle!

Not only do you need Pikachu as your lead, you also need to have captured Zapdos (not beaten it), as well as beaten Blue in order to get his phone number. Any day between 9am and 11am.

Celadon City GB

Omg, let's have a gurl talk, yaaaaas boo.

Glad to hear it.

: Yes... I'm thinking maybe I should participate in this Contest in Sinnoh to try and be more vibrant...

: How did it go?

: I couldn't bring myself to go to the Contest.

: Oh, I see... Then why don't you try putting on something especially gorgeous?

: Ah, yes! Maybe I can bring myself to enter the Contest!

: How about a fancy, light blue outfit with a cape over it?

: What? That's too embarrassing!

: I see. You think Clair from Blackthorn is a little embarrassing... I'm just taking notes.

: Oh, no! Erika, that's not what I meant!

Hmm? Oh don't mind me, do please continue. :allears:

: I am often free in the morning on Sunday. Call me around then.

We can find this little chat on Saturday and Sunday between 3pm and 5pm, after beating Blue. Also, this confirms these games take place before DPP, since you can infer that Jasmine has yet to go to Sinnoh to take part in a Contest. However, it also sounds like she went to Sinnoh but chickened out at the last minute. So this could take place between receiving HM07 from her in Sunyshore, but before she takes part in the Master Rank contests in the postgame. Pokemon timelines are serious business, yo.

Route 27 GB

It's not time for the Elite Four matches just yet.

: The Elite Four has no time to rest, day or night. It's such hard work, you know? Say! Do you want to exchange numbers?

Don't try and explain why the Elite Four is available 24/7, that's one can of worms this universe does not need opening. Anyway, Janine can be found here between 4pm and 6pm, at any day without needing to beat Blue.

Olivine City GB

We're also not going on the SS Aqua, even though we can get Arcues plates for doing so from the Captain.

: It may be fun to exchange numbers with you... Do you want mine?

: I think I can keep my promises if you call me on Sundays around noon.

Sabrina can be found on Olivine's dock on Fridays at any time, without needing to fight Blue.

Cinnabar Island GB

Yo, Blaine, you built your gym yet?

: Why not exchange numbers!

: Hmm... We should be able to battle on Tuesday evenings!

Blaine can be found on Cinnabar Island on Tuesday, any time, after beating Blue.

Pallet Town GB

The last number is real easy to get. We won't find Blue anywhere except his Gym, so we need to have a little chat with Daisy.

: Would you like to join me? Oh, you seem to keep your Pokémon a bit on the dirty side. Grooming helps them become more beautiful and friendly. Would you like me to groom one? Which one should I groom?

Make my giant alligator boy beautiful.

: There you go! All done. See? Doesn't it look nice? It's such a cute Pokémon.

So here's the worst number to get. Every day between 3pm and 4pm you can visit Daisy to have your Pokemon groomed. In order to get Blue's number we need to do this a minimum of 7 times. That's some tedium right there. We also need to show her a Pokemon with max happiness, but that's easy enough. Her grooming increases happiness, but it also increases a Pokemon's Beauty stat. You can't see that info anywhere in HGSS, but if you trade it back to DPP you can see this is the case. That means you can evolve Feebas even in this game since the Prism Scale didn't exist yet. Daisy also groomed in GSC, but it only increased happiness, which doesn't do very much in those games, and I only just found that out, so that's why I didn't show it! Anyway, 6 days later...

: Would you like my kid brother's number? He's the Gym Leader at Viridian City. Have you challenged him? Do you want to register him?

: Give him a call when you feel like it. He can be overly confident, but he still needs company. He said he won't have any plans on Sunday nights... Giggle!

Now that we have all the numbers, now we need to call them when they said they were free and arrange a rematch!

: Yeah, I'm in top form. I was hoping for an invitation! We're battling again, correct? Excellent! Glad to hear it. I'm looking forward to this. I'll be waiting at the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City!

And there we go, phew. Doing this is a pain in the rear end. Not only do you need to jump between days and times, but there's also some more added layers of bullshit in order to get everyone's number. It's much easier to just grab Chuck's number and grind from there. All the Gym Leaders have 6 Pokemon, have levels around 60-65 and use Pokemon from other regions, so it's definitely a lot of fun. And the rewards are worth it, our team is gonna jump up 5 levels each from this, which is very nice. But otherwise, there's one more thing we can do to grind.

Pokemon League GB

It's the Elite Four rematches! Don't worry, I won't be going over every little thing, I'm just going through it to give my team just a little bit extra.

VS Elite Four GB

Like the Gym Leaders, the Elite Four now have 6 Pokemon as well as Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon. Still not too bad though.

Koga's Muk, however, can gently caress right off.

Bruno finally got variety, while Karen finally evolved some poo poo. Learn from this Silver!!!

Lance is still a real tough cookie, especially since he has a lot of really strong dragons.

Ow. Ice moves are your friend here.

His Dragonite is the same as it was in the double battle with Clair, so you can easy make it useless after a couple Draco Meteors. They still hurt like gently caress.

This Garchomp is a fuckin problem.

Thankfully Toto outspeeds it.

This Altaria is a fuckin problem.

Just kidding, it knows Perish Song and is Lance's last Pokemon. Nice.

Time to put our training to the test. Let's fight Red for the final time.

VS Former Champion Red GB

This battle has changed a bit since Gen 2. First, his team is a lot stronger. Not just level wise either, but just in general, with powerful moves, nice stats and somewhat helpful abilities. Also it's hailing. Forever. This can actually be pretty helpful to whittle down the Pokemon you just can't do anything about. But yeah, this is definitely a tough fight, but we've trained long and hard, we can do this.

Pikachu is still not a problem, though it does have a Light Ball this time around, doubling its Attack and Special Attack.

Okay, Blastoise is gonna be a bit tough to break through.

Especially with Blizzards and Hail.

Thankfully the only move it has to hit Water types is Focus Blast, which will totally miss, maybe. It also has low PP.

We can also keep wearing it down.

That's annoying.

Okay, just hit all your Focus Blasts, it's cool, whatever. I don't care, I'm not mad.

While very impressive looking, that doesn't help you very much.

Eventually it goes down, thank you Hail. That's one big threat out of the way.

Ah poo poo it's the next big threat.

Thankfully we get enough chip to take it down. Very nice.

Oh god this thing. I miss Wukong.

Maybe we could poison it? Maybe? No? Okay then.

Okay, that helps a lot. It's nearly dead!

Gahhhhhhhhh. But on the bright side it doesn't have Rest. I would be so screwed if it had Rest.

Ooh yes, very good, let's keep up the chip.

Good job team!

Ah goddammit, another massive threat. Why not keep the Espeon? It's so much easier to deal with.

Like Snorlax, this thing is going to take a million years to take down.

It also doesn't take any Hail damage. While it's nice to whittle down things, it does mean super accurate Blizzards are being thrown around and your Pokemon are taking damage too.

Alright, I think we've got this. If you want to get rid of Hail from this battle, once you use another weather move or ability the perma-Hail is gone. You can also fight Red on special dates programmed into the game that turns the snow into diamond dust, which has no in-battle effect.

A necessary sacrifice.

A necessary sacrifice.

A necessary- okay, can my Pokemon please stop fainting already?

Okay, that? Was a necessary sacrifice.

With it whittled down so much, it's easy enough to knock out.

Christ alive that was a tough one.

The End

And yeah, yeah, we've seen it all before. So! There's still a little bit more left to do before we're 100% done with this LP. Just 2 more updates left. And one of them's the Battle Tower. Next time.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 4, 2017

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The gym leader rematches were such a treat in this game. Tracking down all the numbers is a lot of busy work, but it's good flavor. Believe they actually disappear from their gyms too. And like crosspiece said, all of their teams have gotten full overhauls with pokemon from all over (Jasmine notably has a Magnezone).

I'll also stand by the HGSS pokegear being the best rematch option in the series. Because as soon as you're done with, in this case, a gym leader, you can just leave the building, give them a call within their time period, and go right back in to fight them. This also applies to all the other trainers you put in your pokegear. It's really nice and doesn't have the randomness & walking associated with the VS Seeker

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know about diamond dust, that's cool. Also, way to go, beating Red with 20 levels less on your team.

Jumping backward a bit, the Battle Castle girl is the same one as in Sinnoh Elite Four, right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

I'll also stand by the HGSS pokegear being the best rematch option in the series. Because as soon as you're done with, in this case, a gym leader, you can just leave the building, give them a call within their time period, and go right back in to fight them. This also applies to all the other trainers you put in your pokegear. It's really nice and doesn't have the randomness & walking associated with the VS Seeker
Take away the stupid time restrictions from the HGSS Pokegear and I might agree, although I like that the VS seeker let you rematch random trainers with ease. Made it a really nice grinding option from the moment you got it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Seaogre posted:

I didn't know about diamond dust, that's cool. Also, way to go, beating Red with 20 levels less on your team.

Jumping backward a bit, the Battle Castle girl is the same one as in Sinnoh Elite Four, right?

Unova, not Sinnoh.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

MightyPretenders posted:

Unova, not Sinnoh.

I honestly loved Unova. It was a joy to play through it. Going from BW2's Postgame to...X/Y's...was disappointing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

X/Y had a postgame? :v:

Jokes aside, you'd be surprised how many people were posting on the Pokemon Generations videos about not knowing what was going on with Essentia.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seaogre posted:

What surprises me most about that page Crosspiece linked is that it says Diamond/Pearl have diamond dust on several days... including September 2nd, according to Bulbapedia because that's American victory over Japan day. Why the hell would a Japanese game company make an easter egg out of that very specific day? Or did Bulbapedia gently caress up there and was that date chosen for some other reason?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

X/Y had a postgame? :v:

Jokes aside, you'd be surprised how many people were posting on the Pokemon Generations videos about not knowing what was going on with Essentia.
Which is criminal, since the Looker quests are half the reason to play XY in the first place. :colbert:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

What surprises me most about that page Crosspiece linked is that it says Diamond/Pearl have diamond dust on several days... including September 2nd, according to Bulbapedia because that's American victory over Japan day. Why the hell would a Japanese game company make an easter egg out of that very specific day? Or did Bulbapedia gently caress up there and was that date chosen for some other reason?
Fuckin' Bulbapedia. They don't cite a source for it, so there's no reason to believe it's not some random editor pulling it out of their arse. It could be the birthday of someone at Game Freak or Nintendo, or one of their family members, or their anniversary, or some obscure in-joke, or god knows what.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FractalSandwich posted:

Fuckin' Bulbapedia. They don't cite a source for it, so there's no reason to believe it's not some random editor pulling it out of their arse. It could be the birthday of someone at Game Freak or Nintendo, or one of their family members, or their anniversary, or some obscure in-joke, or god knows what.
It's not even that hard to pull random important-sounding poo poo from a 2-second glance at a wikipedia 'on this day...' article:

1752 – Great Britain adopts the Gregorian calendar, nearly two centuries later than most of Western Europe.
1867 – Mutsuhito, Emperor Meiji of Japan, marries Masako Ichijō. The Empress consort is thereafter known as Lady Haruko.
1901 – Vice President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt utters the famous phrase, "Speak softly and carry a big stick" at the Minnesota State Fair.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm glad we got special weather based on that time Roosevelt talked about beating people with wood.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Given that the other days are all either "developer's birthday", "specifically Pokémon related (release of X, copyright of Mew), plus New Years Eve, an annual Harvest Festival, and Leap Day, I'm going to guess that Bulbapedia is just flat out wrong here because "V-J Day" doesn't fit at all with the others.

More likely, it's someone's birthday or an important day in the company's history.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 62: The Battle Tower

Battle Tower Reception GB

It's the final Battle Frontier update! We've made it this far, gotten 4 prints and just have one more to go. You might think I'm crazy, or wonder why I'm going through all the trouble of getting the colour prints. There must be one hell of a reward for all this!

So yeah, let's meet our last 6 Pokemon. We've got some real special ones today, like Santa the Delibird, by Sjs00. It's, well, a Delibird. It's got a nice Blizzard attack, as well as Present, which I'm gonna try and get a kill with, as well as Hustle. Meaning all my moves will miss. Nice.

Next up is DODGE the Ninjask, by BlackPersona. It's a evasion and speed Baton Passer, if it can survive a few hits to pass them on. It can even attack if need be, should be interesting.

Last up is Kimberly the Aerodactyl, by Jade Rider. It's a hard hitting rock dinosaur and that's just what we need in life. Also entry hazards. In 3v3. Let's do this!

Battle Tower GB

The Battle Tower is classic stuff, just 3v3 battles, no gimmicks, Final Destination.

Of course we've gotta go through the riff raff before we get to the actual good Pokemon.

I'm just gonna use this once and then never again.

It worked out well enough, but I'd rather just kill something.

Well that was fun. 6 streaks to go!

Okay let's actually use our other Pokemon. Guess what DODGE is gonna do.

We are guaranteed +1 evasion and +1 speed and we can get +2 speed if we use Protect.

Obviously with +2 evasion we can never be hit again.

Ah, jk.

That's a rude rear end bird.

Alright Santa, it's time to DODGE.

Very good, that's what I like to see.

Ah. Yeah. With Hustle, our Attack is basically +1, but Fly now has an accuracy of 76%, while Present is now 72%. Blizzard and all special moves are unaffected by Hustle, but it still has 70% accuracy. Add on to the fact that 40% of the time Present will only be 40BP and this is gonna be interesting. Basically Santa is gonna hit 3 out of 4 times and even then might not do that much damage. Great.

Get outta here monkey boy.

I'm getting poo poo for matchups.

Very nice.

I'm purposefully not using Kimberly because oh my lord I will need her later.

I would make the loud dodge scream here, but that's too obvious of a joke.

But seriously though, dodge.

See, was that so hard?

Actually wait, don't use up all this luck before we get to the boss, I'll need it then!

no

The battle facilities are so confusing sometimes...

Santa's taking some loving names. :stare:

...alright it's time for the boss.

: The Frontier Brain has sent word that he is impressed with you. He sees your skill, and he'd like to challenge you to a battle!

Bring it, sucka!

: I heard a lot about you. You are Kotone from New Bark Town, right? You are much younger than I thought. So, I'd like you to show me. Show me the bond you've built with your Pokémon. Show me what you've learned through battles with Trainers!

VS Frontier Brain

This is gonna be an interesting one. Palmer is pretty drat tough, especially when you don't have any gimmicks to muzzle his pretty nasty team. Also when you're using what I'm using.

Milotic is something we just can't break past normally, so we need to, well...

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE

I'm sorry what?

Alright, I think we've got a Rock Wreaker coming our way.

Huh?

What the hell is going on? How am I winning?

Alright, I think this is the end of the line for us, there's no way we can take this thing out, it's a goddamn Dragonite.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you beat a Frontier Brain with a Delibird.

I think I need to lie down.

Battle Tower GB

: I imagine many great trainers will come to challenge me as you have just done. That's something I look forward to a great deal. You will become even more skilled. Keep battling Trainers from around the world and keep growing greater in stature!

: Your victory over the Tower Tycoon was an inspiration! To pay tribute to your talent, we present you BP!

: Congratulations on defeating the Tower Tycoon! The Pokémon on your team will be provided with commemorative Ribbons. We look forward to your next visit.

: Please accept this trophy for your fantastic achievement! We'll send it to your home. We hope to see you again.

Wowee. The Battle Tower has some extra rewards if you're interested in going for them. Since Gen 3 you've been able to obtain ribbons and trophies after winning enough battles and there are a lot of rewards you can get. I'll talk about it later.

We only won because of Double Team. Nothing else. Since I was showing off the ribbons I forgot to show off the Print we got. Just one more to go!

Onto our last 3 Pokemon! We've got Smogon the Garchomp by rannum. It's a Garchomp, this thing is totally busted and I love busted. I also love Busted.

It's time to hate with Hatred the Blissey, by Dr Pepper. The premium special wall that gives no fucks and will slowly kill you from the inside. That's why it's so fun to use!

Last up is Pain Plane the Togekiss, by a busted-up mailbox. A flinch haxer to end all flinch haxers, aside from maybe Jirachi. Shame that Aura Sphere has no additional effect, but it doesn't miss, so I'm fine with that.

After the last 3 rounds we've had, I'm pretty happy to use these kinda Pokemon.

Mmm, oh yes.

Since the Eviolite doesn't exist yet nothing is surviving this.

That's one way to stop me.

Ah just kidding.

I guess I'm using Garchomp forever and ever then?

Oh, Brightpowder is one way to stop the rampage.

Well we know how to deal with this.

Good

And that's 50 damage a pop, enough to whittle down things eventually. After all, nothing has more HP than us.

Pfft, get out of here.

The pain train is temporarily stopped.

Cause now it's the plane's time.

This is what I wanna see.

...sure

That's fine though.

Eh, could be better.

We just went through some Hustle shenanigans, so stick to the flinching.

Perfect

Slaking is unfortunately quite durable, so Smogon is gonna sit this one out.

What is this bullshit?

Ah goddamn it, stop!

Man, evasion strategies are so... HIT AND MISS

A special Whiscash? It's more likely than you think.

This, however, just ain't right.

Some pretty uneventful battles overall, since Smogon is that good.

Well thankfully that was Life Orb Hariyama.

Oh hey it's a Garchomp, I hear those things are pretty broken.

Maybe what I've got is even more broken.

Oh this is really bad.

Oh never mind it's special. Phew.

Still got reaaaaaaaaally close.

Time for the final fight.

: As the Tower Tycoon, I'll have to give you my best effort. That's how the best Trainers show respect to each other. By battling all out as dedicated students of Pokémon!

VS Frontier Brain

Man, we've been getting real nice matchups.

Though of course it's not that easy, Palmer can be a pretty nasty fight due to his strong legendaries.

Case in point. Though isn't this a special attacker?

And that's that.

That's one pain out of the way.

I feel ya man. This Pokemon shouldn't be a problem, I'm fine with whittling it down with Hatred before letting Pain Plane seal things up.

BRIGHTPOWDER :argh:

That's better, but that did take 4 turns. We might be in trouble.

Huh, maybe we'll actually be alright.

...poo poo.

It had that move the whole time???

Ah good, you know how to DODGE

And that's that. Flawless.

For whatever reason Palmer's sprite animates at the end, the only time that ever happened until XY.

: My young friend, the world and your future hold infinite promise. The spirits of people and Pokémon call for each other in resonance. The resulting bond is finitely strong! Go on, you can be all that you desire! There is no limit to where you can go!

We get our rewards and we're done!

It took us five updates, but we finally have all the Frontier Prints. And our reward? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. In Gen 3 you got some cool berries and decorations for getting the Symbols, but you get nothing here, not even a star on your Trainer Card.

The ribbon for beating the Frontier Brain a second time is slightly different to the previous ribbon we got. At least that's some kind of reward, I guess.

There are also other ribbons from winning 50 battles on the Double and Multi battle rooms. There's even a different ribbon if you did it with the 5 stat trainers you met in DPP (oh yeah, those guys are in this game in that one area), or if you did it with another player. You could even get another ribbon for reaching Rank 5 in the Wi-Fi battle room, but of course you can't get that anymore.

Here are all the Pokemon that helped me beat the Battle Frontier. Thank you so much to everyone who submitted and I hope I will get submissions in future LPs I'll totally do, probably. It was a blast using these Pokemon even in the worst facilities and it's so cool I was able to win with all of them. Overall, I'm pretty meh on this Battle Frontier. It's a cool concept, but could be done in so many better ways that they're kinda tedious and grindy. And I imagine they take a while to make for something that very few players really interact with to make it worth it. So I'm not bothered they haven't appeared since, though I wish people would stop pining for them and say certain games are bad because they lack this feature. I bet they would still say the game was poo poo even if it was included cause they forgot how bad they were and then deride GF for wasting time including it when they could've made a REAL postgame that has 100s of hours of content. Somehow. ...I'm ranting aren't I?

ANYWAY, with that all done it is time to do the final update of the LP. Ah, finally, soon I shall be free... to do another LP after this. Cause that's how LPs work. Later!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The best way to beat Palmer with a Delibird: do not actually use delibird.

Still great job clearing out all the facilities! It was fun seeing all the different teams you maanged to make work. And I had no idea Hustle only affected physical moves...all this time i assumed both. Why does special attacking Togekiss gets this ability?

Checking bulbapedia looks like the battle tower star is the same across all gen 4 games: beating 100 trainers in the battle tower in a row. Emerald had one for getting all gold symbols, though which...yeesh.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Amazing job getting through all that. Thank you for showing it off.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

rannum posted:

The best way to beat Palmer with a Delibird: do not actually use delibird.

Still great job clearing out all the facilities! It was fun seeing all the different teams you maanged to make work. And I had no idea Hustle only affected physical moves...all this time i assumed both. Why does special attacking Togekiss gets this ability?

Togetic had it so that Aerial Ace, one of the only flying moves worth running in Gen 3, packed more punch. Togekiss didn't feel the need to replace it.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

There's actually a subreddit ran by a friend of mine called r/PokemonRibbons, which is dedicated in showing off Pokémon "Ribbon Masters", or Pokémon that have every legally collectable ribbon, from Gen 3 to 7.

This also includes Gen 4's Wi-Fi Tower ribbon, which I believe you need to use AltWFC or other alternate services, in order to get the data for the Wi-Fi Tower (Which is teams based on people's runs in the Tower)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Take away the stupid time restrictions from the HGSS Pokegear and I might agree, although I like that the VS seeker let you rematch random trainers with ease. Made it a really nice grinding option from the moment you got it.

I miss the VS seeker too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This was a great LP and I'm so glad I got to see you use Dial M.

He came about during the Gen 4/5 meta where Hazards were basically everything. I happened upon an Infernape build that basically killed every common lead hazard support pokemon in the game.

The build was slightly different to the battle tower, running Fake out, Close Combat, Overheat, U-turn and a Focus Band.

Fake out would break any sturdy based defense on suicide leads and just add free damage on anything else. But the main comedy of the entire thing was Overheat.

See people would lead in with pokemon that had type advantage on Monkey and basically assume they had a free kill. At which point you ate an attack, hit Blaze and then hit your opponent with a blazed up Overheat.

The unbelievable level of rage he caused left him a special place in my heart, even after he fell out of meta during Gen 6.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 63: Five Out Of Five

Hello, is it time for the final update of the LP? I think it is. But what more could we possibly do in this game? We've beaten Red! Are you telling me doing that let's us do even more things? That's right, this postgame has a postgame.

Pallet Town GB

: I heard a lot about you. Your Pokédex must be close to complete?

*loud cough*

: For all your hard work, I would like to give you something. Haha! What's behind me... You must have figured it out right away. Yes, it is a Pokémon!

: Choose one and it'll be yours! ...Go ahead!

It's weird that we're getting our starter at the very end of the game, but I like it, GF should break the formula more often.

I can't choose anything else. Like I literally am physically unable to choose anything but Bulbasaur these days.

: With it at your side, you should be able to reach the next town... What am I saying? You already know all this! Hahaha! There is nothing more that I can do for you. Enjoy the rest of your journey with that new Pokémon!

Hmm, well we'll see you a bit later.

Saffron City GB

: I think it depends on how my dad feels. I see... I'll be on my way. See you soon.

: You are... I remember your eyes. When I see a Trainer whose eyes twinkle, I always remember. You have a Pokédex! So you are also in search of Pokémon. Let me see... I think I can help you with that. Let's say you have stones in front of you.

Well I've had the blue stone with me this whole time and I recently got the green stone, so it's time to go red.

Yes! Wait, poo poo, hidden abilities didn't exist yet. I'll just toss it onto the pile then.

"very happy."

And off he goes, when we next see him, nobody knows.

Oh hey, fancy meeting you again.

:raise:

Hello again again again (again?).

: You should visit sometime. Hey! Why don't we trade Pokémon? I've been looking for FORRETRESS. I can trade my BELDUM for it.

Well I just happen to have a Forretress with me right now, so I guess I can.

Neat.

: It's my first time to actually see one. Thank you so much! Oh, look at the time, I really must go.

Now this time he's definitely completely gone. Unless you haven't done the Enigma Stone event yet. In which case you can make him stand in Pewter City for ETERNITY

The Beldum he trades us is pretty standard, but it's a much easier way of obtaining one in this game than the other method we'll go over in a little bit (hint, it's the Safari Zone). It is holding a Dawn Stone, which is pretty gosh darn neat, otherwise it's a normal Beldum.

Hey, while we're in Saffron City anyway...

: What a coincidence! I feel great electric power around the Magnet Train station! You had a PIKACHU, didn't you? How about trading it for my French PIKACHU?

Wee wee, seńorita.

I've now got 2 Pichu and 1 French Pikachu. Grrrrrrreat.

"Good-bye!"

Like Beldum, this Pikachu isn't very special aside from it's French and has a Yellow Shard. Woo.

Considering my country was conquered by the French nearly a millennium ago, it's strange that I don't speak it. Good thing too, otherwise I would've surrendered this LP to Simply Simon already.

Diglett's Cave GB

: They say you have to get it from an Egg... I am having a hard time finding one. If you happen to have a BONSLY, could you trade it for my RHYHORN?

Well since I just OH SO HAPP- oh wait you just said that. Uh, yeah, here.

: Thank you! I have been looking for BONSLY! The RHYHORN I gave you know the move Thunder Fang! I trained it from an Egg. I'm so proud of it, because it can take down Water-type Pokémon, which usually are a tough matchup. Take good care of it for me!

The last of the trades is more interesting since it has an Egg move. But unless you're hitting a 4x weakness, a neutral STAB hit will actually outdamage a move like Thunder Fang on a Water type. It's still a cool option.

Mr Pokemon's House GB

What, do you have a trade for me as well?

: I have something I want you to have and was just about to send an email to Professor Oak. The thing is... A friend of mine from Hoenn came over to give this to me.

Hey, another red stone.

: That Orb has something to do with the ancient ruins located past Cianwood City, called the Embedded Tower. But only a handful or Trainers can reach there... That's where you come in. Professor Oak thinks highly of you, and you are the proud Champion after all. I'm sure you can solve the mystery of the Orb and the secret of the ruins. The Embedded Tower is past Cianwood, somewhere in the Cliff Cave.

Yeah I think I've heard of it.

Safari Zone Gate GB

Just before we head over to the fascinating tower, we're going to cover the last bit of stuff relating to the Safari Zone.

: I had an epiphany! A new attraction! I've decided to call it... Object Arrangement! This is going to be fun! You can place objects on the field as you play the Safari Zone! Not only that, but the types of Pokémon you see will change depending on the types of objects you place. Isn't it amazing? I will call you using the Pokégear if something comes up! I hope you enjoy it! Go, and have fun!

Safari Zone GB

Okay, strap in folks, this is where the Safari Zone gets a bit crazy.

On practically any space in the Safari Zone you can place down an object. Now these can be nice little decorations, but they're used to attract a wide variety of Pokemon. There are four types of blocks that attract Pokemon, with 3 in each category of Plains, Forest, Peak and Waterside, and then 12 blocks that are purely decorative. Once a certain number of blocks in put into one area, then a Pokemon that requires that number will start to appear. However, it's not as easy as that, oh no.

...I don't want to know how Baoba has this. Anyway, there are some rare Pokemon that require more than 30 blocks be placed in an area before they appear, so how do you get them to spawn? Well, after a block has been in an area for a certain amount of time, it upgrades and increases its value. This upgrade is permanent, letting you rack up high numbers pretty quickly. Hmm, I say quickly, but each category has a certain number of days it needs to be in a zone before it upgrades.

Plains blocks take 10 days to upgrade to double their value, so 2, and take up to 100 days to become quadruple their value, so 4. Waterside blocks take the most amount of waiting to upgrade, taking 40 days to reach 2 and 140 days to reach 4. If you upgrade everything and max out your blocks, then you can technically have 120 blocks out at once. But some Pokemon require 2 types of blocks to appear. The hardest Pokemon to get, Gible, requires 52 plains blocks and 68 peak blocks. You can imagine how long that will take to get it to appear.

This does mean the amount of Pokemon that can appear increase immensely, including evolved forms of Pokemon you could find before, but at a much higher level. Beforehand, we could get 70 different Pokemon species in the Safari Zone, now we can get an additional 82 Pokemon from both the Johto and National Dex. That's right, there's over 150 different Pokemon you catch in this Safari Zone. It's INSANE.

But gently caress actually catching them all, christ.

So anyway, the Embedded Tower, what's changed?

Hmm, I think it's that giant dinosaur thing. But I'm just not sure.

VS Groudon

Man there are a lot of legendaries in this game...

Well my Pokemon are pretty overpowered for this, so I should be fine.

Well poo poo.

I suppose the good thing about it putting itself to sleep is if you can get it down low enough quickly, you can catch it kinda easily.

Not too bad really.

"every day!"

You don't say.

: That Pokémon is GROUDON, a legendary Pokémon in the Hoenn myth about the shaping of that region. I see... Embedded Tower was built by the people from Hoenn. The Tower that binds together the sea, the land, and the sky... GROUDON was not the only Pokémon described in the Hoenn myth... This place may still be hiding its secrets... The knowledgeable Pokémon Professor may be able to tell you more when you show him GROUDON. Phew! There are so many connections between Pokémon and myths. See you around.

Exposition Hiker is my favourite anime character.

Pallet Town GB

Alright prof, what can you tell me about this ancient terra dinosaur that brings forth sun?

: The legendary Pokémon that appear in the Hoenn myth? You must be talking about KYOGRE and GROUDON! The Embedded Tower is probably the ruins that has something to do with the Hoenn myth. If so, the other one must be around. KYOGRE and GROUDON are said to have shaped the seas and lands! Where those two are, the other Pokémon is said to appear as well... All this is quite possible! It's not hard to imagine that the Blue Orb will make KYOGRE appear at the Embedded Tower.

: It may be difficult for you alone to accomplish this, Kotone. But if you manage to obtain a KYOGRE that came from the Embedded Tower, please do come and show me both legendary Pokémon! I will then share with you the rest of the Hoenn myth!

Well if you just OH SO HAPPEN to have a HG Kyogre, then you can continue this crazy sidequest. And obviously since I don't have any friends... that play this game, then I need to, uh, legitimately obtain one for myself. I'm glad I didn't have to catch it though, Aqua Ring is a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Alright prof, what can you tell me about this ancient oceanic beluga that brings forth rain?

: You caught both KYOGRE and GROUDON! OK! I would like to entrust this to you!

"doesn't it?"

: It is called the Jade Orb. It has something to do with RAYQUAZA. Legend has it that the battle between GROUDON and KYOGRE shaped the lands and seas of Hoenn. Volcanic eruptions and giant waves are said to have completely changed the shape of the land there. But then RAYQUAZA came down to halt the battle. It is a Pokémon that rules the skies! If the Embedded Tower is related to KYOGRE and GROUDON, then going there with that Jade Orb will surely make something happen.

This is a neat idea, by why do I have to go between regions every time? Why can't Elm do this, he's been doing gently caress all most of the game.

VS Rayquaza

Please tell me this is the last legendary we have to catch. I'm legend'd out.

The gently caress is this special bullshit.

Well it's easy enough to manipulate, but be careful it doesn't knock itself out in confusion.

Stylin'

Pallet Town GB

Alright prof, what can you tell me about this ancient atmospheric serpent that brings forth ozone?

: Pokémon are sometimes greatly attracted by certain Orbs and Stones. No one knows why. Perhaps memories from ancient times... when this planet was born... and Pokémon, also... are making Pokémon behave that way. Show me your Pokédex again anytime!

Route 2 GB

There we go! That's everything we can do in HGSS! But of course, we still haven't completed the game... not really. There's just one last thing we need to complete before the LP is done. It will require some real bullshit, let me tell you.

This is something you won't even realise is in the game unless you get pretty lucky. We're just chilling here with Toto, it's just nice to talk to your Pokemon every now and then, yeah?

Nani?

The heck?

...let's talk about FUCKIN Shiny Leaves. Or better yet, let's have someone else tell us about them. ...someone I said wouldn't appear in this LP again. Whoops!

New Bark Town GB

: Don't forget to talk to... What's that? Your Pokémon is holding a leaf... Could that be a Shiny Leaf? Legend has it that only Pokémon that have formed a close bond with people can find such leaves... People used to turn the leaves into a beautiful crown when they managed to collect five of them. Wow! I knew you could obtain one, Kotone! Let me see it when you find another!

So Shiny Leaves are pretty annoying to find. If you're standing in grass and talk to your Pokemon there's a chance one of their interactions will be finding a Shiny Leaf, but ONLY if it's got the right nature for the route it's on. Since Toto is Gentle (comedy gold right there), it has a chance of finding Shiny Leaves in seven locations. What are those locations? gently caress knows, the game never tells you, so look them up. Oh look, here's a list. Aren't I nice?

There's no skill involved with finding them. Just keep talking to your Pokemon until it gives you one. Only your Pokemon needs to be on a grass tile anyway.

That's 2.

And yadda yadda, you get the idea.

: Ha! You have already collected five Shiny Leaves! Let me turn them into a crown! And what's more... I will give you this, too!

Okayyyyy, so what did that actually do?

Ah, it got us another star in our Trainer Card. Well since we're here, might as well get all five stars. Since Gen 3 you can earn stars on your card after completing certain tasks if you really want to finish the game. In Gen 3 there were only 4 stars to get, but in Gen 4 there's 5 stars. Then in Gen 5 they removed the stars, but kept the card changing colour. Then in Gen 6 they reduced the colour changes to 3 and then in Gen 7 they replaced it with 15 stamps instead.

...oh yeah, the Shiny Crown. What does it do? NOTHING! Despite what Ethan says, friendship does nothing to affect the chances of finding a Shiny Leaf. They're also only tracked in these games, data for them does not exist in Gen 5 (and DPP obviously, but a Pokemon will retain their leaves if traded, then traded back). It's just for the star on your card that you wouldn't even really obtain it by yourself cause how would you know??? Seriously???

Battle Tower GB

We've got 3 more tasks to do to complete our Trainer Card and they're pretty easy, honestly.

We need to go back to the Battle Tower and get a 100 win streak, so 14r2 runthroughs without losing. With this crazy fast team that I've tweaked to be smooth as silk, it'll be no problem.

We were only 1 battle away after the Frontier Brain from getting the Silver Trophy, so that's easy enough. But we need to do 50 more battles (okay 44, since you get trophies after you finish a streak, no matter what, or end a streak midway. Or lose. Lots of ways, really.).

Let's see what opponent 100 is like!

So good so far.

Oh man, we will make it?

Yeah. Since we dialled M for MONKEY. No wait, I mean MURDER.

And that's that.

What a pretty colour. The Trainer Star requirements have changed basically every game, though some of the basic ones have remained the same. The colours also change, DPP's card didn't have such lovely colours.

Pokeathlon Dome

Next up is the Pokeathlon, but there is a bit more to this.

: Top Pokéathletes are waiting for you. Would you like to try the challenge?

After beating the game and reaching the final golden room in the basement, you can participate in the Supreme Cup, where the AI is better, but you get more points if you win. People like Whitney and Jasmine appear as competitors if you choose the course they're in.

Anyway, let's use cheat codes to access the final room to get our next star. Since we're at the end of the game it doesn't matter what event flags the code activates, cause I've done everything anyway!

Alright, we've got one last star to obtain. Guess what it is.

Yep! You've gotta complete the Pokedex! Well, not the whole thing, you don't need to obtain all the event Pokemon, so Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus. Everything else you need to obtain in one way or another. So how exactly do you do that? Well there's quite a few Pokemon you can pick up in this game, from swarms appearing over the radio, to headbutt trees, to Pokewalker courses, to the Safari Zone, to Hoenn and Sinnoh sounds on the radio. Or, well, you can just transfer them from Gen 3, or trade them from Gen 4. If you want. Seriously, there are only 42 Pokemon unobtainable in HGSS out of 493. That's pretty drat crazy.

It's not that hard though, I did it with little problems. Toooooooooootally legit.

Pallet Town GB

You know you want to tell me how great I am.

: Wow! That is a complete Johto Pokédex! Thanks to you, Kotone, the Johto Pokédex is complete! Wow... You've done an incredible job!

Hmm, not bad. But I crave more.

: Excellent! That is an amazing National Pokédex! Wow... You've lived up to my expectations wonderfully! No, you've exceeded them, Kotone. You've become an amazing Trainer! Thank you, Kotone! You never cease to amaze me! Your having completed the National Pokédex far exceeded my expectations!

Ah, the best reward I could ever get from these games.

"with me for a change?"

: You will? Good! Are you ready?

You can get Oak's picture for completing the National Pokedex. You can also get one to one pics with a load of other NPCs for finding them in the overworld on certain days and times (except Chuck, since we've got the Jade Orb now), but who cares about them?

Celadon City GB

Okay, let's get the ACTUAL rewards. You know 'em, you love 'em!

"Johto Pokédex!"

: Impressive! I'm amazed! I will reward you for that! Seriously!

Yessssssss, Diploma time!

: Congratulations! You must be the genius of the century! Seriously! Game Freak will give you an award and prove that it's the truth!

What's better than one Diploma? TWO

: Remember, the most precious thing of all was the time you've worked hard going everywhere to complete the Pokédex. I just said something deep! Seriously!

And there we go, we got all 5 stars on the Trainer Card. What did that get us? NOTHING!

New Bark Town GB

Yeah there's really no point in completing this game unless you like stroking your ego in front of random internet strangers. I dunno why I'm now at 3 for 3 for 100%ed Pokemon games. No one clicks on these LPs and wonders if I'm going to complete it completely, it's just not something you really... do. Even I didn't know the LP would end like this when I started it! But I guess I love the series so drat much that I would do something like this. And it was an absolute blast the whole way. Thank you so much for reading, I can't believe it's finally over, I hope you enjoyed, since that's the whole reason I do this! Now, for MY DREEEEEEAMS OF CON-QUEST let's play.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew, thanks for sticking with me everyone. We're all done here! What an LP, it was a lot longer than I thought it would be, 79 total updates! My last LP had THIRTY. I think Conquest is gonna be a lot shorter, just a hunch.

Cheers for all the posts, suggestions, views, groans and hate mail, I loved every second of it! What a rollarcoaster of an LP! I'm gonna archive this tomorrow, I'm going to sleep...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

Phew, thanks for sticking with me everyone. We're all done here! What an LP, it was a lot longer than I thought it would be, 79 total updates! My last LP had THIRTY. I think Conquest is gonna be a lot shorter, just a hunch.

Cheers for all the posts, suggestions, views, groans and hate mail, I loved every second of it! What a rollarcoaster of an LP! I'm gonna archive this tomorrow, I'm going to sleep...
To be fair, you were basically LPing two games here. :v:

Will you link the Conquest LP in here once it starts? I assume you're going to take a break before then, and it'd suck to miss the ground floor.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Congrats on finishing this LP!

I had no idea gold leafs even existed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Amazing job, Crosspeice. You definitely showed both the original and remade Johto games to the last detail, including several I had no idea of.

HGSS sure had a lot of upgrades over the originals, to the point that it's hard to not dislike ORAS in comparison. That said...they sure could've fixed the level curve and been more obvious about some of the new stuff, both the Gym Leader rematches and the Shiny Leaves outright need a guide. As remakes, HGSS are great, but they do have some of that...Game Freakness.

Can't wait for Pokemon Fates Conquest!

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Great job with this LP! Can't wait for the next one, I never really got far in Conquest myself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Congrats on a job well done. looking forward to conquest, never even heard of it before here.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Can't wait for conquest, myself. I only got past the tutorial campaign, so I'd love to see an expert playthrough of it.

Really enjoyed this LP, enjoy your rest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Trainer Card rewards are the most annoying things ever. Thanks for suffering them so I don't have to. :golfclap:

• Locked thread