Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Garchomp and Shedinja

One for power, and one for a gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Votes so far

Porygon-Z: 4
Garchomp: 4
Slaking: 4
Shedinja: 4
Scizor: 4
Lucario: 3
Gengar: 3
Latios: 2
Starmie: 1
Salamence: 1
Gyarados: 0
Metagross: 0

Votes seem very split, who will come out on top?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Guess I'll vote for Scizor and Gengar then.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

We gotta go Scizor and Slaking.

Scizor because this is Gen IV and we have to respect the origins of this humble 4-generations-in-a-row OU threat

And Slaking because poo poo man 8 year old me thought he loving ruled but I was too lazy to actually raise a Slakoth in Emerald for more than like 4 levels.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Gyarados and Metagross

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Metagross and Salamence. Hoenn for life!

I'm actually not a fan of Salamence but if I vote for anything else it adds too much of a lead to actually help Metagross catch up.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Porygon Z and Gengar are cool dudes.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Shedinja and Metagross.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Garchomp and Metagross

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Porygon-Z and Slaking

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Gengar and Metagross

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Slaking and Shedinja :getin:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Voting is closed!

Slaking: 7
Porygon-Z: 6
Shedinja: 6
Scizor: 6
Gengar: 6
Garchomp: 5
Metagross: 5
Lucario: 3
Latios: 2
Salamence: 2
Starmie: 1
Gyarados: 1

...goddamn it you assholes.

There's no point voting for sets, cause the only ones that work for a Pokemon like this are choice items, so we'll go with a Banded and a Scarfed one, though which one we'll use is determined by what we'll be facing. Since it's 10 battles at a time, one will do 90 battles and the other 80. It's just how the facility rolls.

Since that won't be very interesting, I will be showing off how well the joint second players will do and Porygon-Z will be our backup, just in case Slaking is a bit tricky. While Gengar was one of the first to be suggested, it was Some Numbers's second submission that was entered, as opposed to dungeon cousin only have one of their choices entered.

Thanks for playing everyone!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 53: Adventures in Ilex Forest

And we're back. Today we're going shopping for something very important.

It's cheating time! This update is all about Celebi, but uhh, this Pokemon isn't actually legitimately obtainable in Gen 2. It used to be, through our good defunct friend: the Mobile System GB. During March 29th to May 29th and August 1st to August 28th 2001, if you had 16 badges, beat the Cheiko Dice minigame three times in a row and then answered the "ten card quiz", you could get a GS Ball from the attendant at the Pokemon Communication Center. This event was actually translated over to English games, though of course the event was never used, so we had to wait until August 2001 for our own events. Still, you can go into the code and activate this event legit. Though since I'm buying the ball at the department store, you can figure that I couldn't get it to work, unfortunately. Oh well, to Kurt's!

Azalea Town

: I've never seen one before. It looks a lot like a POKé BALL, but it appears to be something else. Let me check it for you.

ONE DAY LATER

: This BALL started to shake while I was checking it. There must be something to this!

So are we going to Slowpoke Well again?

You've still got your Slowpoke! Unless this is a doll and it's been kidnapped again...

: What is going on? MARINA, here's your GS BALL back! Could you go see why ILEX FOREST is so restless?

Alright, let's see what's changed.

Ilex Forest

Hmm, nothing so far.

"forest's guardian?"

I'm not sure random event girl.

: It's in honor of the forest's protector...

: It's a hole. It looks like the GS BALL would fit inside it.

Okay, now what?

Oh hello, are you friendly?

Wild Pokemon Battle

GUESS NOT

HP: 100 | ATK: 100 | DEF: 100 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 100 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 600
#251: Celebi

Since it's level 30, we've gotta be careful to not knock it out. Though we could constantly reset to try and get a shiny! Why didn't I find a shiny in this LP...

Well I think it's a 2HKO no matter what I do. Also Safeguard is gonna be annoying.

I didn't want this either, another reset!

Oh wait, it knows Heal Bell. Guess I didn't need to reset. Too late for that now!

Thankfully since it's level 30, I don't have to worry about it sweeping my team.

Ancientpower is annoying, but now to sleep it and catch it (hopefully).

So far so good.

Tch, a typical legendary, I hope I've got enough balls for this.

Wait, Celebi has a catch rate of 45, meaning I've got like a 38% chance to catch it. Never mind!

Have I really shown 251 of these Pokedex entries throughout the entire LP? Christ.

Ilex Forest

: MARINA, that was fantastic. Thanks! The legends about the SHRINE were real after all. I felt inspired by what I just saw.

Way to kill the tension, Bill.

But yeah, we're done with the Pokedex as well as Crystal for the moment, it's remake time!

There's quite a few events in HGSS, so what have we got this time?

Okay, this is the, uh... *checks notes* ...Pikachu-coloured Pichu and it was a downloadable Mystery Gift for a limited time. You can still do this "event" if you evolve it, since it's basically a shiny Pichu, the only thing special is the fateful encounter flag.

Oh hey, another Pokemon by the shrine to beat up and catch.

Spiky-Eared Pichu Theme

Aw, this is so cute, but I'm totally not the right demographic for it.

The main pain of this event is having to time the screenshots cause they keep jumping around and moving.

Oh but they've having fun running around. :3:

This man walks too slowly, it's annoying.

: People are said to disappear. Kids and Pokémon sometimes disappear around this shrine. It is believed that a Pokémon which wanders across time does that. It is truly a strange thing...

: This must be the PICHU that has lived in this forest for some time. When I saw it the first time, it looked lonely. It is full of energy today. I see. It seems that these old friends finally meet again after a long time.

"I will give you this Poké Ball."

: I used to use them when I was younger. Don't worry. It's still in good condition.

Yay?

Now I've got two Pichu! What would I ever do with two Pichu?

Farewell random event man.

So what's so great about this Spiky-Eared Pichu then? Well, uh, it has a different sprite!

It even has different Pokeathlon stats! But this Pichu can't evolve, has the same stats and movepool of a regular Pichu... oh yeah, it's also trapped in your cartridge forever.

Professor Elm's Lab

: Can I take a look at it closely? Hmm... One of the ears is spiky... That's strange. There seems to be something more to it. It really is a rare sight. You met it at Ilex Forest? A mysterious Pokémon called CELEBI has been sighted there, or so I heard.

: Professor Oak once wrote about CELEBI and Time Travel in a research paper he presented at a conference!

"travel to the past and future."

: If this PICHU has travelled through time, perhaps you should take extra care of it, Kotone. It seems that this PICHU has been affected by travelling so far through time with CELEBI. I'll inform the Pokémon Center of it. The lady at the reception should be able to tell you if anything may affect that PICHU.

This is just justification for not being able to trade the Spiky-Eared Pichu, especially to DPP, where it didn't exist. This also means you can't move it forward to Gen 5, since those games don't have the Spiky-Eared Pichu coded in either. It's also forced to be non-shiny since its unique ID is created when you make a new game to ensure it can't be shiny. Though it does have those sprites in the code. Anyway, Spiky-Eared Pichu was merely a Movie 12 tie in, since it was part of the plot. Otherwise it's basically useless.

Ilex Forest

So it's time for the next Ilex Forest event. Boy I'm just spoiling you today. This is kinda similar to the Crystal event, though we obviously already have a Celebi.

This is also a movie tie-in, but for the 13th movie, alongside some cool shiny beasts that were also distributed. Those could be forwarded to Gen 5 through the Relocator to unlock even more events. I wonder if I'll ever show those off? Anyway, this Celebi ain't too special, we just need its Fateful Encounter flag to set poo poo off.

I swear to god if you start jumping around with happy music...

Ethan's Theme

Ehhhhh, I don't know if that's better.

"the shrine?"

: They say people disappear when they tamper with it.

YOU JUST HAD TO SAY IT

What is it with these events and teleporting?

Kanto Route 23

: Ilex Forest has disappeared! ...That's not it. It's more like we have been transported somewhere else...? Kotone, something is strange! I heard the radio mentioning the date from three years ago!

: That explains it! CELEBI must have caused all this! My grandpa once told me that CELEBI can travel through time using its mystic power called Time Travel! CELEBI must have taken us back in time! Literally!

Yes, let's interfere with the timeline, great idea!

Eh, actually let's not. Not even timeline interference can fix that mess.

: Are you gonna quit? What are you going to do now?

: One must acknowledge one's defeat before he can move on... I will go solo...for now... So that one day I will form a stronger organization!

: Gathering so many only to be defeated by a mere child!

: Putting together the potential of many is how you produce a huge power... That's what an organization is... That's the strength of an organization! I failed...to make the best use of my subordinates' potential...! But you shall witness one day the revival of me and my Team Rocket!

: You don't make any sense!

: A coward when you're alone and acting like a tyrant when you're in front of other cowards! I will become strong! I will become a strong man all by myself!

: Who does he think he is? That was unnecessary! But what were they talking about? The revival of Team Rocket...? They say that Team Rocket was removed from the Kanto region by a child three years ago. So this really is three years ago!

You catch on fast, huh.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tohjo Falls

This cave and that guy seems familiar.

: I don't know why you have come here. Anyway, I have to warn you that this is not a place for kids like you.

: That's the guy we just saw arguing with that boy!

: You have the same eyes... ... I'm on my way to Goldenrod City to answer the call and join my team. Are you going to get in my way?

: Could this be the one that the radio was trying to reach? Giovanni, their boss? Do you hear it, Kotone? The radio is saying something strange! Team Rocket has occupied the Radio Tower at Goldenrod City! It can't be! Kotone, you solved this case already!

Radio Tower Takeover

: We are pleased to declare Team Rocket's revival. ...Giovanni? ...Can you hear us? We have finally made it!

: We will not repeat the failure of three years ago! Team Rocket will be born again, and I will rule the world!

VS Giovanni

Since you need Celebi in your first slot to start the event, you'll be sending it out in this battle.

This Nidoking ain't much to talk about, so we'll just obliterate it and use the rest of the team.

Honchkrow is the deadliest Pokemon by having a boosting move and an alright moveset. But Wol's got this, right?

Alright maybe not.

SolidSnake has got this though.

I've never seen a +2 confusion do so little.

Alright SolidSnake definitely does not have this.

Sizzle's got this! Yaaaaaay!

Nidoqueen is his strongest Pokemon, but it seems to be mixed? And no Poison STAB? I don't get it, his training is weird.

It still hurts, but we've got this.

"possibly be this strong!"

His last one he usually sends out can be a bit tough since it's got some good moves and will absolutely destroy Ghost types.

Oh my god Tangrowth's physical bulk is disgusting, I love it.

Team Rocket was always this disappointing, wasn't it?

: The past three years have been a waste...? How can a kid like you manage to destroy my dream once again? The precious dream of Team Rocket has become little more than an illusion...

: Where has Giovanni gone? I wonder if he is listening to our broadcast... ...

"not coming."

: After this, Kotone, you will defeat them! ...Wait a second! Kotone, you're still here. Then, who will defeat Team Rocket...?

Let's go back and watch Back to the Future. Ethan could learn about how time travel works.

Meh, it's lost its novelty.

Ilex Forest

Oh yeah, we forgot that blue thing.

: I thought I would never see you again! Wait a sec... So we must be back to our time! It was all so bizarre. But now that we are safely back to our time and Team Rocket's terrible design fell through, we can say... all's well that ends well, right?

: It sure was an exhausting day, though. I better get going. See you!

We're not gonna see him again, let's be honest.

And we're done here, we've done every Wi-Fi event in the game. Well, aside from the random Mew you got for the 10th anniversary of Gold and Silver, and the 2010 Jirachi and the Pokewalker downloadable courses... man these games had a lot of events.

It's back in Crystal for the last part of the update. Strap in folks, this is gonna get complicated: there's another way to get a Celebi in Gen 2 games without hacking. It still requires glitching though. It's also a bit grindy.

Basically you need to raise 2 Sneasel to level 57 so they learn Beat Up to go into the third slot. That move MUST be put into the third slot or this won't work. You can also put something in the fourth move slot for later.

Then you breed them so their offspring will be guaranteed to have Beat Up in their movepool when it hatches.

While you're waiting for your weasels to breed, it's time to clone some stuff. Man, we haven't seen this glitch in a while!

Quick reminder on cloning, the game saves what's in your boxes and then what's in your party, so if you interrupt the process in the middle of that, then you'll have the exact same Pokemon in the party and the box. Crazy.

Nice nice. But don't hatch it yet.

Now the tricky part, you need to obtain a bad clone. This happens when you mess up the cloning glitch, with it being more likely the more Pokemon you're cloning at once. You'll know it's the right one when it's level 1, has a name of ? and it messes up your box screen. It's just visual, it's not messing up anything internally, probably. Though even if you get a bad clone, it might not even be the right one, as it's different depending on your version (GS or Crystal) and what index number it comes from.

You need to give your bad clone to the Day Care Lady and that'll turn it into a ?????. Now I should say that I wasn't able to get a bad clone, so let's just pretend it is, obviously the real version would cause a lot of text box overflow and the like. The usual.

Now that you've got your bad clone back (notice how I forgot how many question marks it has when nicknaming it in pikasav), it's time to do some box management.

With the bad clone at the top of your party, move Pokemon you don't care about to the top of your party. Obviously it's not working for me since I don't have an actual "bad clone", but if you're using an actual bad clone, you'll now have 7 Pokemon in your party.

Like that, see? Now, put the bad clone back in the Daycare. It's not necessary anymore.

Go back to the PC and deposit your first and second Pokemon.

Now using the move option, move the Egg from the PC to the top of your party.

And then deposit four Pokemon. Since I'm not doing the glitch properly, it's not letting me, but it will for you since you technically have ore than 7 because you put ????? at the top of your party. Now you can withdraw any Pokemon you want that's not involved with the glitch.

Now we need to hatch the drat thing. Since it's a Celebi, it needs 30k steps to actually hatch. Seriously.

And look at that, it's a Celebi!

Okay it's not exactly legit. This is what I edited in pikasav, but it's what you'll get if you did the glitch correctly. It'll hatch at level 0 and depending on the ????? you had out of the four versions, it'll hatch with a couple of weird moves. I didn't realise that last part and thought it was just random, but those glitch Pokemon do have level up movesets and TM lists and everything. If you put something in the fourth move slot, then it would hatch with an item, corresponding with a move. If the Sneasel both knew Reflect, then it would hatch with a GS Ball that you can then use in the Celebi event!

You can either put the Celebi in the daycare, or use a couple Rare Candies to get it to level 2. Then it's a perfectly legit Celebi. Well, kinda legit. It'll learn its four base moves at level 1.

But uh, yeah, let's just pretend this never happened and next time, it's the penultimate update: Battle Tower - Level 100.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 17: The Celebi Egg Glitch and What The F**k Did I Just Do?

So you might have been just slightly confused about what I just did. Unlike the Mew Glitch, the Celebi Glitch is a little trickier, but much easier to manipulate. Using it, you can get any Pokemon in the game from an Egg, with any item, give or take a few. But before we dive into that, let's break down the glitch one step at a time, starting with why we even use Sneasel.

It's because of Beat Up. Gen 2 is unique in that there are 251 moves in the game as well as 251 Pokemon. So every move shares the same index number as a Pokemon and that causes that Pokemon to hatch from the Egg. This means you can hatch any Pokemon you want if the offspring would learn the related index move in its third slot. Except for Ledyba, since Struggle can't normally be put into movesets. The fourth move, however, relates to the index number of an item, this is why Reflect would give a GS Ball, they have the same number of 115. If there's no fourth move the offspring would learn, then the Pokemon holds nothing. Do note that there's a lot of dummy items or black spaces in the item index, there's not a 1 to 1 translation between lists.

Also, if there's no third move, you'll just hatch a bad clone. Let's talk about ?????, they're randomly obtained from cloning and transform when you put them in the Daycare and do different effects depending on the hex, either 00, FC, FE or FF. They do different effects depending on the game, either GS or Crystal, but we'll focus on the Crystal ones. 00 makes it and all Pokemon under it invisible to the PC and can't be deposited. FC has a glitched experience group and cause numbers to underflow and making it require 16 million experience for every level between 3 and 41. You can use Rare Candy no problem though and if you put it into the PC, it reverts back to level 2. FE acts the same, but will revert to level 6 when deposited.

FF is really the one you want, as it acts like the CANCEL command on the Pokemon screen, causing Pokemon beneath it to be hidden and letting you withdraw more than 6 Pokemon at once. The game really does not like that and causes that menu to overflow into other parts of the game and let you change the code if you so wished. It also lets you hide Gen 2 Pokemon beneath FF and lets you trade them to Gen 1 through the Time Capsule and cause even more glitches there. So by putting FF at the top of your party, everything below that became hidden and you put a 7th Pokemon as the game thought you only had the 1, overflowing past the Pokemon party into other stuff. Then you get rid of FF and the Pokemon you were hiding are now visible again and the game gets real confused. Then you deposit 2 Pokemon to move the values of stuff up 2, put in the Egg, then deposit 4 more Pokemon to put the values in the right place for the Egg to hatch with the different index number.

Of course if you mess around too much, then you could kinda crash your game, slightly. Depositing Pokemon while you have 7 Pokemon in the party may change attributes about them, such as gender, level, or even moveset, so it's best to use the stuff you've been cloning as fodder. Using the Move option while having ????? in your party is not a good idea, since it's technically the CANCEL button and the game doesn't handle looking under that too well. There's around 50-80 glitch Pokemon under ????? and they represent the game's code, so swapping them around will cause you to move the game's files around, such as music and Pokedex entries. Doing the glitch is pretty simple, but you can do so much with it and you need to know what you are doing if you don't wanna gently caress up.

Have fun getting a Celebi! It's just the set up that's a bit rubbish on a normal game, but it is definitely possible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know Japan loves Pichu, but I'm less than thrilled at the notion of raising two baby Pokemon whose gimmicks are "they look slightly different than normal, you can't evolve them, and you can't trade them either".

That's unappealing in every regard.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Spiky Eared Pichu was advertised as having an important role in one of the movies. Said role was just freeing Ash and the gang when they got themselves captured by the villain. :geno: That was it, and she barely had any screentime.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Spiky Eared Pichu was completely pointless to the movie it was in, as Dr. Fetus points out. I think the only reason it got so much marketing was because it was voiced by Shōko Nakagawa who is among many, many other things (idol, noted blogger, pretty sure an actress) is/was the host of the weekly pokemon children variety show Pokemon Sunday/SMASH/Get TV/whatever it is now.
She'd voiced a few misc NPCs in previous movies but rando humans can't compare with pokemon, I suppose. She also went on to voice Sylveon in the eevee & friends short & the starring Keldeo in his movie. Bit of a step up.

Only other notable thing about SEP is that it gets Pain Split. For some reason.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8a/Pichupichushrine.png
Had some cute artwork though.

also SEP for some reason had a revamped box sprite added in gen 7. no model for it though, so maybe it was just done by mistake.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i kinda don't like the Giovanni fight cause I always thought it was funnier if Giovanni just moved on in 3 years from team rocket, making there pleas for him to come back that more pathetic

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He could've at least had his Gym Leader team from the Kanto games + Honchkrow.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I've always been a fan of this video which shows you how to do the Celebi glitch exactly how you described. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIz1RAg25yM

Great LP as always!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Spiky Eared Pichu was advertised as having an important role in one of the movies. Said role was just freeing Ash and the gang when they got themselves captured by the villain. :geno: That was it, and she barely had any screentime.

She was also in the 12th ending!

Yeah, as far as anime advertisement went, they did Ash-Greninja so much better. It's even useful in the games!

Chicken Doodle posted:

I've always been a fan of this video which shows you how to do the Celebi glitch exactly how you described. :3:

I wish I could've found a good quality video, since it's pretty crazy to watch. A shame I couldn't get the setup of the glitch working, but it's much more consistent on GS.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like Spiky Ear Pichu. Maybe one day she can make the generation leap. Along with Cosplay Pikachu. And they can join a hypothetical special Raichu.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I almost forgot how pointless the spiky ear Pichu tie-in was. Can't evolve into something useful in battle, can't leave your cart. I guess you could use it for the Pokethlon, maybe?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Oh yeah, Spiky-eared Pichu. I wasn't really sure why Pichu was being promoted everywhere at the time as one also showed up in Pokémon Ranger where it played a Ukulele.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 54: Battle Tower - Level 100

Battle Tower (Inside)

It's the final Battle Tower challenge. It's been fun, but it must end eventually.

These are the first three we'll be using.

First up is Roosevelt the Ursaring by Inkspot. Uh, where is its STAB? Ah, I'm sure we'll be fine, it's got some good moves and being at level 100 means Seismic Toss does very consistent damage against resists or physically defensive Pokemon.

Next up is McNugget the Omastar by Mr. Locke. Good offensive moves and the healing to ensure it'll never die, unless we're up against a Grass types. I don't think that'll be particularly likely.

Last up is the first of our legendaries, Wright the Ho-oh by hopeandjoy. In level 70 and 100 you can use any legendary you want in the Tower. Despite not being able to make use of its incredible Attack, a Sunny Day boosted Sacred Fire is going to do SO MUCH due to its still high Special Attack, and it has the bulk to reliably set up weather too. Excellent. Return is useful to save on Sacred Fire uses, or when we're up against other Fire types.

Level 100 means a lot of high numbers start getting thrown around. HP too, meaning the bars take forever to decrease.

First opponent is a Golem, with Rock Slide, Earthquake, Fire Blast and Explosion, holding a Brightpowder. Not a bad moveset, there are some in here, just not very often...

Even with a crit, we're winning this easy.

Nice. Sneasel has Blizzard, Faint Attack, Slash and Dream Eater, holding a Scope Lens. Sneasel is just not good in Gen 2 and 3, since Special Attack is its lowest stat by far.

It also keeps missing Blizzard, which is very helpful.

Ah, the good Dark type. Houndoom has Flamethrower, Crunch, Rest and Roar, holding a Mint Berry.

The Quick Claw didn't activate, so it's McNugget's turn to save the day.

Uh, or not.

Okay, it's Wright's turn to save the day!

Oh goddammit.

Well we'll win this, albeit slowly. You might think Return is doing too little, but no, that's max happiness from a Ho-oh. Crazy, right?

Okay I'm not patient enough for this.

A bit tricky, but that's the first battle.

Ooh, a Fearow. What tricks does it have up its sleeve?

Well I wasn't expecting that. Fearow has Hyper Beam, Drill Peck, Steel Wing and Mud Slap, holding a King's Rock. Again, not bad, but too bad the Pokemon is.

I think if you hadn't used Hyper Beam, you'd have done more damage overall with Drill Peck those four turns.

Oh of course. Machamp has Cross Chop, Vital Throw, Hyper Beam and Earthquake, holding a Quick Claw. Pretty drat dangerous, but we'll have Pokemon that can handle it no problem.

My Quick Claw activates so I can get off some damage and Cross Chop doesn't miss. Oh well.

Oh baby that's good. Burn?

No Burn. Darn.

How terrifying. Arcanine has Flamethrower, Hyper Beam, Extremespeed and Iron Tail, holding Leftovers. So I'm really confused why it went for Flamethrower.

Return ain't doing much, so go and tank McNugget.

Perfect.

Third battle and I've already got a bad matchup.

...what. Well this Hitmonchan has Counter, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch and Fire Punch, holding a Focus Band.

Not a big deal, since Sacred Fire and Flame Wheel are 2 moves that insta-defrost you. I think it just activated its Focus Band too, since I did crit. I swear it says if it activates though...

Oh my god gently caress off with all this hax bullshit.

...actually I preferred Hitmonchan. Blissey has Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Blizzard and Softboiled, holding Leftovers. This thing has 703HP to chew through, christ.

Let's see how you like Sunny Day boosted Sacred Fiiiiiioh yeah it's special until Gen 4.

We'll just do what we can.

At least it's still a Blissey and we can take it down pretty easily.

It's a Scizor! It has Steel Wing, Hyper Beam, Toxic and Pursuit, holding a Quick Claw. It's not too impressive, give it a few years.

Since I don't have a way to hit it particularly hard, you win this round red ranger.

McNugget don't give a gently caress

I agree. Exeggutor has Psychic, Giga Drain, Explosion and Toxic, holding a Quick Claw. It's a problem, but it's slow and weak to a lot of things.

Roosevelt gets close, but everything seems to have Toxic nowadays.

It probably can't do much to me, I said, I can just set up, I said.

:stare: Well that could've gone horribly wrong.

Good thing I set up the last turn. Oh, right, Rhydon knows Rock Slide, Earthquake, Hyper Beam and Surf, holding a Miracleberry. We'll be seeing it again.

Oh cool, a Ghost friend. Misdreavus knows Shadow Ball, Perish Song, Pain Split and Psybeam, holding a Focus Band.

I don't want to know how much damage that just was.

Ah goddammit, again with the Fighting leads.

And its fate is sealed.

Well that's immediately annoying. Charizard knows Flamethrower, Fly, Earthquake and Slash, holding a Scope Lens. Nice coverage, but Ho-oh actually walls it pretty well.

Ah this will speed things up.

NOT

Sixth trainer. Lanturn knows Surf, Zap Cannon, Rain Dance and Confuse Ray, holding a Quick Claw.

Oh hey, we're not doing weather wars for a change. Farewell.

Hmm, this could be a problem. Its doing 200 damage for every 100 I'm doing. I can't win like this.

Well I mean that's not an invitation to go easy on me, sheesh.

Hey nice. Piloswine has Earthquake, Blizzard, Hyper Beam, Rest and has a Mint Berry.

Piloswine is faster than you think. Well, at least faster than a cuddly teddy bear.

And so McNugget cleans up again. I suppose it's being thematic.

The final trainer is off to a crazy start, but here's something cool.

I was been knocked out by poison the turn after Fearow used Hyper Beam, since poison takes effect after you attack, not after both Pokemon take an action.

And now it recharges, 2 turns after it used Hyper Beam. Not that it matters, but that's pretty cool.

The first Pokemon we faced is now the last, thus completing McNugget's rampage. I would've liked to have used RestTalk, but it never went under 50% health the entire time, so I never felt like I needed to.

I'm never gonna use these, but thanks anyway.

Now for our second team.

First is Poseidon the Lugia, by Silegna. I'm glad we're using it, because holy poo poo this thing looks scary to be hit by and to actually take down. Yeesh.

Our last ever Battle Tower Pokemon is the good ol' mascot: Kitty the Suicune by SonicRulez. While pretty similar to McNugget, it's all it'll ever need and Roar could be really handy.

Starting off strong with a Steelix. It has Earthquake, Crunch, Hyper Beam and Swagger, holding Leftovers. It's a bit of a dick!

Poseidon doesn't care much, but I've noticed multiple times a lot of Pokemon are surviving on little health. Guess I'm missing out on rolls or something. Mmm, rolls.

Ah man, Jolteon are never fun. It has Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Thunder Wave and Roar, holding a Brightpowder.

And this is why Pokemon is one of the worst franchises in the world.

Seriously, will nothing die in one hit??? Well, this is level 100 for you.

Rhydon is a good Pokemon to get my frustrations out on.

This is Aeroblast. It's goddamn great to use.

Really just a fun time for Poseidon all around.

The gently caress? I don't think I've ever seen many Zap Cannon's animations.

Okay this "surviving on 1HP bullshit" needs to stop.

We need to give Kitty some time in the sun, so it can just sweep from here.

Eh, we can still do it. Kingdra has Surf, Dragonbreath, Rest and Toxic, holding Leftovers. It can pretty tough if you didn't bring a tough Dragon yourself (so Dragonite, basically).

That's annoying.

But this REALLY helps.

I know I have Roar and Protect, but I just never found any situations they would be useful. Maybe that'll change?

Tauros knows Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Iron Tail and Thunderbolt, holding a King's Rock. Nice coverage, but the AI is always so tempted to just go for Hyper Beam.

...did you go for that knowing you'd get the Defense decrease? Goddamn.

Okay Poseidon is just really allergic to Jolteon for some reason.

But it's fine, I'm bulky enough to take some hits and then knock it out with a Surf.

Well poo poo. Both of those things didn't happen.

Roosevelt should be able to close this out.

Hm. Never mind then. Good effort team!

That's it for the Battle Tower, I hope you enjoyed the Pokemon we used and faced, it was a blast. But now? Well, there's only 3 more things to do left in the entirety of Crystal and next update we're gonna do all 3 of them.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hell yeah, Roosevelt. Machamp can suck it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Those damage rolls hurt my feelings.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 55: Red End

Goldenrod City

Welcome back, it's time for the final Crystal update cause there's not much left to do in this game. We have done a ridiculous amount, but it's all gotta end some day.

: Should I teach a new move? It will cost you 4000 coins. Okay?

Game Corner coins are easy to come across, let's do it!

After you beat the Champion, this guy will appear on Wednesday and Saturday and let you tutor some cool moves onto your Pokemon. If the elemental punches aren't doing you justice, then this guy is just what we need. Sure, I could've shown him off earlier, but we didn't really need him, my team doesn't exactly gel with these moves too well and the ones that do didn't really need them until now.

We're gonna give Kakarott one last boost of power and that'll do. Jeremiah could learn Ice Beam, but eh, I prefer my punching frog.

"a trainer."

: Wahahah! Farewell, kid!

You can only do this once until he comes back another day, so choose carefully.

Pallet Town

Didn't we complete a Pokedex or something? Let's see what we get for that!

: If you're in the area, I hope you come visit again.

Celadon City

Maybe we'll have better luck at Game Freak's HQ?

"POKéDEX!"

: Congratulations!

"DIPLOMA for you."

: You should go show it off.

: Oh, you completed your POKéDEX? Want me to print out your DIPLOMA?

Alright, cool. Why did I even bother? Anyway, we've run out of things to do, so it's onto the last thing!

Spending the last of my money on Revival Herbs! What else am I going to do with it? Now we've prepared for...

Mt. Silver

The final battle! This is not one to be taken lightly, this boy will gently caress you up. Good thing there's lots of places to grind... oh, uh, well we should be fine!

It's been a while since we've gone over our team, but that's cause they haven't changed much. ...Kamina? is our heavy hitter and heavy defender. Just don't rely on him to do anything regarding the special side.

Mothra has good Special Attack but nothing to really use it with, so we just throw off boosted Sludge Bombs every now and then. Still, she's been pretty dependable, if not particularly notable.

Helios is a weird mishmash that is finally usable in firing off strong Psychic attacks. Took loving long enough. But really, he's been a great help and being able to burn PP with Fly is always good against an annoying opponent.

Churchill has simply smashed through opponents with startling dependency. Seriously, I dunno how many opponents she's wrecked, but it's a lot. I love it. She's barely changed over the LP, but she doesn't need to do anything else.

Jeremiah has been a physical attacker, special attacker, status inflicter, the works. The backbone of the team and used in pretty much every catching attempt I've made and not a bad battler either. She's just grand.

Finally our starter Kakarott. While he ran out of steam towards the middle of the game, an evolution and elemental punch made him an excellent attacker and one of the most dependable members of the entire team. Shame this team will soon be retired, but it's been great fun.

Hello to you too, let's do this.

VS Former Champion Red :siren: VS Former Champion Red :siren:

First thing you might notice is, at its lowest, Red is 15 levels higher than the previous strongest trainer: Blue. And then we have Pikachu here at level 81, the highest in the series up to this point (I mean there had only been 4 games before its debut, but still...)

However since it's a Pikachu, if you just hit it with a STAB Earthquake, it'll just fall over, even with -2 Attack. You might be thinking, phew, that's the biggest threat out of the way.

Oh you would be wrong. Unless you have a specially defensive monster, or a Dark type, you'll be taking a lot of damage from this Espeon. And it's the lowest level out of all of them!

We need to deal with this thing toot sweet (or however you spell that).

Will it be enough?

It was, good dog! That's one big threat out of the way.

Ah goddammit here's the next big threat.

Poison maybe?

If you have a Ghost type, Snorlax can do sweet gently caress all to you, but otherwise it hits hard with Body Slam and spreads paralysis around. Thankfully it's still slow enough that you'll still be faster, but it makes me hesitant to cure the status, cause it'll probably just inflict it again!

Now I thought that Snorlax had lower Special Defense than Defense, since Amnesia was there to patch up its lower stat. No, I'm completely wrong, it only has a base 65 Defense stat compared to a 110 Special Defense stat. I've never been one to learn the specific numbers of things...

Helios can't even survive a hit from this thing...

However, one saving grace is that when you do hit it on the physical side, you do a fair amount of damage and this will just make it easier to deal with.

Ah goddammit. Churchill is one of two Pokemon on the team slow enough to become slower than Snorlax after paralysis. Since it barely survives one Body Slam, I either have to heal the paralysis, or just let it die.

So why revive Jeremiah? Well my plan was to weaken Snorlax enough, then put it to sleep before it could go for Rest. Then switch to a physical heavy hitter (like ...Kamina?) and take it out.

Immediately my plan fails cause it goes for Rest when it's not really in much danger of being knocked out.

In order to lower its health back to where it was, we need to lower its Defense again. But don't think it's useless when it's asleep, it will Snore sometimes. Not all the time though.

It won't Snore on turns it'll wake up on, so watch out.

Alright Churchill, get the Defense drops!

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan

It's alright, we can do this. One more shot!

Alright fine, don't make my life easier.

...Kamina? can make that, right?

Goddammit!

GODDAMMIT

I'm taking a gamble by not healing and going for an attack. But all I need to do is hit my attack and Snorlax goes down.

Nooooooooooooo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Christ almighty...

At least Snorlax can't do much damage to me, but goddamn this thing will not die. If I'd just got another Defense drop, it would've fainted ten screenshots ago.

Thankfully it seals its fate.

gently caress OFF

Ah goddammit it's another threat. Save me Kakarott!

Okay good, it only has Grass type moves.

And I can 2HKO it, whaaaaaaat?

It can also 2HKO me... good thing I'm faster!

But getting rid of one problem brings us to our fourth one. Cause Pikachu wasn't a problem.

Let's hit it from the lower special side.

Oh poo poo it's faster! (That's honestly not very surprising)

At least Jeremiah can take hits from it all day long.

Since we've got a breather, we can heal up our team cause we're hanging in the balance right now.

Oh wow, we're not paralysing with our Body Slams, WHAT A SURPRISE.

Alright Mothra, you can take this turtle.

This should do loads.

Err, maybe Mothra don't gots this.

But Mothra hangs in there to get off one last attack.

Alright, can we finally take this thing down now?

I think we'll need two more Strengths to take it down, but we've can only take one more attack.

So it's all our nothing, let's go!

Okay, just one more time and we've got this!

drat. Well if ...Kamina? is slower than a paralyzed Blastoise, then we actually lose.

But we're good. That's another threat down!

Oh poo poo it's the next threat! At least this one is the last one.

Thankfully I survived, otherwise, again, I would've lost.

But this should do massive damage.

Well admittedly I wasn't expecting it to OHKO, but I would've revived Kakarott next turn and had him take down Charizard. Still, we win!

Always the quiet one.

And he disappears into the night. BUT, we're not ready to see the credits just yet!

Welcome to Pokemon Gold! Kinda... I've been wanting to show this off for a long time, but we're gonna have one more climactic battle to end off the Crystal LP.

VS Former Protagonist Satoshi :siren: VS Former Protagonist Satoshi :siren:

I wanna give a big thanks to SystemLogoff for coming to me a loooooong time ago with this idea of a Gold hack featuring the team I used in the Yellow LP. Seriously, they first messaged me in April. 2016. I've been looking forward to this for a while.

I copied over the team as they are just before we faced Red, but you may have noticed Ikue is a higher level than Red's Pikchu.

You may also notice that Ikue has Iron Tail. Pikachu sure as hell didn't! I came up with these movesets for SystemLogoff to put into the hack based on what's the best coverage available to our Gen 1 team in Gen 2, as well as any improvements to their old moveset, with some exceptions. I did however change a few things when SystemLogoff sent me the final version, cause I actually came up with a couple of moveset changes after the fact. Hehe.

It is still a Pikachu however, so it goes down in one shot. Its moveset was Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Quick Attack and Thunder Wave, holding a Light Ball. Oh yeah, they've all got items and thankfully Light Ball doesn't double Attack in this game, or ...Kamina? would've been one shot. I wanted to put Return in its moveset, but Iron Tail made it a threat and the rest of the moves were from its Yellow moveset. You'll be seeing this theme a lot.

Next up is our defensive boney friend. ...Kamina? will be useful for later, but for now let's send out Jeremiah. Ikue is the only opponent that has a higher level than its non-hack counterpart. I'm not that much of a masochist.

Hmm, I would've liked more damage, but that should be fine.

Huh, that's a lot of damage. Makes sense though, its a strong STAB move.

Again, pretty good, but it's not what we're looking for.

Still, we should survive this and be able to KO it next turn, hopefully?

:stare: Well SOMEONE has a Thick Club to double their Attack.

Man Giga Drain is a pretty lovely move...

Okay, let's end this now, we can't lose to the first actual threat.

Of course Churchill is slower! I don't know why I thought otherwise. Ever.

But at least it dies to recoil, that's one threat dealt with. mr skeltal had Earthquake, Submission, Strength and Substitute, holding a Thick Club. Because I hate myself.

Oh good here's another threat.

"activated!"

You feeling lucky, punk? Wukong is a lot faster than mr skeltal and has +2 Attack also. But it'll also do a lot of damage if it hits itself in confusion. Berserk Gene's confusion is special too, it never wears out naturally. Well, it runs out after 255 turns, but don't rely on that. Like at all.

...will a Revive actually work on Kakarott after that?

Still, if it's locked in on Thrash, then ...Kamina? can take a hit and we can use that opportunity to stall it out and see if it hits itself. See, useful!

Wow that's a lot of confusion damage... that also means it's no longer locked in on Thrash. poo poo

I think we could all see that coming. Helios is here to finish the job!

Holy poo poo that plan actually worked. Uh, I mean, of course I knew that was going to happen! Wukong had Cross Chop, Thrash, Rock Slide and Focus Energy, holding the Berserk Gene.

Oh yeah, Aquamemnon evolved, didn't it? How the hell am I supposed to break through this thing? I've got no Dragon moves!

Still, it's not about hitting it really hard, it's surviving any of its attacks and Jeremiah is perfect for the job. Farewell Helios.

Uh, or not? That means we can revive someone else, woohoo!

And another Pokemon! Goddamn we might actually have a shot of this.

Well that was nice while it lasted.

So why exactly am I going to Mothra?

Well firstly, she can survive an attack (thank god).

Secondly, she can land a Stun Spore and make this threat a bit more manageable.

Thirdly, she can land two attacks cause I'm a lucky little poo poo that shouldn't have gotten this far.

I think that crit mattered.

Alright, now onto delicious X item abuse while Jeremiah shrugs off hits. Otherwise we'll be here forever trying to take down this goddamn wall and I don't wanna do that. I was tempted to use X Attack against Red's Snorlax, but then I was focused on lowering its Defense and forgot I had the items in my Bag.

+2 should be enough, so let's heal and go on the offensive.

Okay maybe +2 isn't enough. Still, we can go higher.

Oh goddammit, I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.

...it's time to stop.

I'm not even gonna bother healing that, it'll just happen again, I just know it.

Okay, maybe if I'd just used Ice Punch every turn instead of getting to +3 I would've beaten it by now, but WE'LL NEVER KNOW AND NEVER TALK ABOUT IT

poo poo. Alright Churchill looks like this is your kill.

I'm just glad you're faster now... Aquamemnon had Surf, Blizzard, Dragonbreath and Swift, holding a Scope Lens. I'm surprised it didn't crit more often, lucky me.

Oh goddammit it's the next threat.

Save me ...Kamina?

Oh wait I lived, save me Kakarott.

Neat, who has two thumbs and asked for Steel coverage like a dumbass? <-- <-- this guy.

This Rock Slide better do a poo poo ton, like that Steel Wing just did.

Nice

Might as well heal someone up instead of just not being able to attack.

Seal the deal Kakarott.

Oh GODDAMMIT

Wait, I can actually do something about that. Yay for priority! Tri Ace had Drill Peck (which I'm surprised it never went for), Tri Attack, Fly and Steel Wing, holding a Quick Claw, just to ensure it always went first. I really wanted to put Hyper Beam on there, but without Fly how is Satoshi gonna get home?

And here's the final threat. Like Kakarott usually does, he needs to retreat for most of the arc and recover.

Helios can become tribute and have his energy drained like in that one episode with the robots. She was called Wheelo something? Ah whatever, I don't watch crap.

That's pretty good damage, 3HKO?

Sorry, I meant 5HKO, because gently caress me apparently.

I don't think Helios can 1v1 this boy. (Fun fact: while I did forget to specify to SystemLogoff what gender Satoshi's Pokemon would be (they would match the ones we traded over from Yellow), I dunno if you can actually do that in a hack! Besides, having them all be male, means they probably have max Attack DVs, which is what I want anyway)

Like really can't.

Phew, at least I'll survive... if you ignore all the after turn effects.

Like that one! However, by dying this way, we don't give Vegeta Leech Seed recovery. Strategy!

Now Kakarott can take down Vegeta... if he's faster. If I don't guess correctly, then I just lose. I, in fact, do not outspeed, if Vegeta is the same as Red's Venusaur stat-wise. That one did outspeed Kakarott, who is identical to the Crystal Kakarott. Good job past me, even though you forgot about the Red fight when you did this.

So we need Kakarott to get another offscreen power up and send someone else to whittle Vegeta down some more.

Don't get fully paralyzed... don't get fully paralyzed... don't get fully paralyzed...

Oh thank god I love you so much Mothra. You keep me loving sane.

Is that healing pod done yet? We're running out of options!

Just taking an episode to power up.

And to make a back up plan.

Kakarott appears right at the end and steals the kill, making little contribution to the battle overall. Typical One Piece, am I right? :rolleyes:

And we somehow won. Vegeta had Giga Drain, Body Slam, Toxic and Leech Seed, holding Leftovers. Seriously, why did I come up with these terrifying sets?

Credits

Okay, now we roll the credits. That's the end of Pokemon Crystal! Seriously, we're done, beating Red unlocks nothing, we have done basically everything in the game... and technically more!

While I'm not done with the LP overall, I am at least going to start working on my next LP while I get the rest of the HGSS updates out. There's not much left to go, so it won't be too long.

Overall, this LP was a blast. It was long, god it was long (in comparison to my usual LP length), but I enjoyed making the updates, exploring a generation I hadn't actually looked into much and completing a Pokedex all over again.

While it did start to feel a bit samey around the seventh badge, I still like Gen 2 a lot, it's actually pretty crazy how much these games improve from Gen 1.

But of course this game absolutely has its problems, from its awful, AWFUL Pokemon distribution, to low level curve, to its very cheeky cutting down on Kanto. Still, it's a classic and if you can ignore those faults, it's still a good Pokemon game. I am glad the LP is nearly over though, I've been wanting to move on for a while. That is a general problem I have involving all of my LPs however :v:

Thanks to everyone who read/watched/posted, you kept me going through my more lazier and less motivated moments over the past year and I'm really happy with the update schedule I had, with a few breaks here and there. You're all really rad and I hope you join me in my next LP. Until then, I'm hoping to keep improving, keep changing things up for the better and keeping making cool SSLPs for y'all, cause I find them really fun! Is that weird? I think it's weird. Anyway, uh, we're done here and I'm bad at ending LPs, farewell MARINA... now, bugger off! (Until the next HGSS update).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew, that's that basically done. Yeah, there's some HGSS stuff to do, but that'll be like seven updates or so, whatever. In the meantime, I'll start working on my next LP and talk about how this one went.

AND I'D LOVE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS, WHAT YOU LIKED AND DISLIKED ABOUT THE LP, I'M ALWAYS WANTING TO IMPROVE

Overall, I liked it, I feel like I improved on what I did in Yellow and feel like I'm really getting into the groove of SSLPs. I think I'll keep doing them for a while longer. Of course, there are some things I won't be doing going forwards and it won't be too surprising to hear that it'll be the Pokemon analysis stuff. The template I put in the update is fine, I think it's got a good amount of information and I still wanna tweak that stuff. But the main reason I want to cut the offsite analysis is that it slowed updates. I would not want to write them and after making so many of them, I felt like what I was saying wasn't interesting, so why bother putting it? It's the same reason why I basically stopped the Side Notes after I finished all the mechanics to go over, cause the opinion pieces of other bits of the franchise were weird to write since I didn't have much stake in them. I usually write the Side Notes after I finish an update so I actually understand what the hell I'm talking about, but with the ones about the anime or manga, I just didn't see the need. So they'll be lessened going forward.

The next big thing was covering the remakes. I thought they would be fun little asides, but I think I focused on them too much and showed off a lot of small differences that I feel like they interrupted the main LP too much and made it take much longer than it should have. I do want to do something like this in future, but I want to make it a once every five or ten update thing, not the every other two or three. A few times I wondered why I didn't just LP the remakes instead if I was showing them off so much, but I did enjoy going through them. The Battle Tower and Battle Frontier stuff has been fun, but I do feel it distracts too much, like when I end an update I feel that I'm basically saying that instead of continuing with the main LP, we're just gonna do a side thing, or cover stuff we've already gone over but this time on the DS! So I'm curious to how you guys liked it.

I also noticed that thread participation was lower overall compared to Yellow, especially towards the end. I'm fine with that, no matter the LP there's always people dropping off, or coming back, or catching up with the thread and whatnot. I never want anyone to feel like they have to reply, cause sometimes a game just doesn't give you much to talk about. It did get a bit annoying to sometimes have 3 or 4 updates on a page, but oh well. If I wanted a mega popular Pokemon LP, then I'd have to deal with endless derails, constant spoiler tiptoeing and having to lock the thread if things get too crazy. I love your work OFS, but I don't envy your thread workload. Kinda. I appreciate anyone and everyone who gives my LP a look, they're great fun to make and I'm glad people enjoy them.

But yeah, I think I need a much smaller game to LP next. One that can hopefully garner a LOT of cool discussion. Gen 5 spinoff, anyone?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Crosspeice posted:

But yeah, I think I need a much smaller game to LP next. One that can hopefully garner a LOT of cool discussion. Gen 5 spinoff, anyone?

:bisonyes:

I didn't mind the remake stuff, but LPs are usually something I just idly scroll through so maybe someone with more stake in the specific content would care more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Red's Snorlax is as annoying as I remember.

I never 100% finished Conquest due to the postgame not letting you quit scenarios and me getting stuck in a stalemate where I couldn't successful capture all enemy nations. So I'd love to see it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I had completely forgotten that the match against the old team got recommended. Good job pulling it off, it looks like you had some fun making it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think part of the reason thread participation was down by the end was because it's Gen II. Like you said, it gets samey near the end, and there's not much to talk about. The game starts to drag, and that gets reflected in the updates and in the thread.
I think the Battle Frontier/Tower updates were the last ones that really grabbed my attention -- you did a really good job with those!

I hope you LP Conquest, I've never played it and I think you'll do a good job with it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Awesome, awesome videos as usual! I usually dislike LP in video format; save for a few Alien Killing, Dragun Slaying, and Spaceship Ramming LP's to name a few, but I most certainly enjoy your particular brand of video! Keep up the awesome work; you're easily as talented or more than anyone I've seen play this series

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for another fantastic LP series! It was a treat seeing the HGSS updates alongside Crystal - I wouldn't necessarily say it distracted from the main content, but I could understand spreading those updates farther apart. As far as sequels, I'd definitely be interested in seeing Conquest as well - never picked it up due to having a humongous backlog, but the concept definitely looked neat.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Good job on the LP, Crosspeice! I'm looking forward to the last bits of HGSS, and I'll definitely check out Pokemon Conquest. Never played that one, so I'm interested in seeing the story and gameplay mechanics!

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Thank you for the very good and super in-depth LP. I'm very excited to see you play Conquest!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Sadly gender was impossible to adjust, I was glad it worked well.

If I had known you would have shown off the overworld in the hack I would have changed the Sprite for the hero and made the before battle text more interesting. :3:

Here's to your next LP. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I also noticed that thread participation was lower overall compared to Yellow, especially towards the end. I'm fine with that, no matter the LP there's always people dropping off, or coming back, or catching up with the thread and whatnot. I never want anyone to feel like they have to reply, cause sometimes a game just doesn't give you much to talk about. It did get a bit annoying to sometimes have 3 or 4 updates on a page, but oh well. If I wanted a mega popular Pokemon LP, then I'd have to deal with endless derails, constant spoiler tiptoeing and having to lock the thread if things get too crazy. I love your work OFS, but I don't envy your thread workload. Kinda. I appreciate anyone and everyone who gives my LP a look, they're great fun to make and I'm glad people enjoy them.

i can't speak for anyone else but i stopped replying as frequently bc crystal (and all of gen 2, to be real) loses it's luster after a while. it's a bit too long for a pokemon game, or rather, a bit too much of the same thing happening over and over. which isn't your fault, of course, the game itself just can't really muster up any new emotions until the Red fight (which I always liked as a bookend even if grinding's such a hassle)

anyway, excited for conquest, that's one of my favorite spinoffs! i love Tactics style games, even simple ones

• Locked thread