Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...62aad4f8285c594 http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35651366

For those unfamiliar with the general situation, it's come to light in the past few years that in Rotherham, and at least nine other cities in the UK, there have been huge organized rape and pedophilia rings, pretty all run by Pakistani immigrants, which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

This went on from around 1997 (and possibly earlier) right up through 2012 when the Times published an article on the subject.

The extent of police involvement and coverups was relatively unknown until recently, however.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

-Troika- posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...62aad4f8285c594

For those unfamiliar with the general situation, it's come to light in the past few years that in Rotherham, and at least nine other cities in the UK, there have been huge organized rape and pedophilia rings, pretty all run by Pakistani immigrants, which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

This went on from around 1997 (and possibly earlier) right up through 2012 when the Times published an article on the subject.

The extent of police involvement and coverups was relatively unknown until recently, however.

Want to provide a link that doesn't redirect to a "subscriber-only article"?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How does this compare with the other British pedophilia scandal involving upper class twits?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

huh i thought jimmy saville was born in wales, not karachi. learn something new every day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

How does this compare with the other British pedophilia scandal involving upper class twits?

Terrible because foreigners are involved. Whereas the posh ones are all in the past and it's silly to waste money on that sort of thing.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
This is actually a pretty huge scandal and it's pretty dumb to just dismiss it with "Well rich white people did (X)!"

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

themrguy posted:

This is actually a pretty huge scandal and it's pretty dumb to just dismiss it with "Well rich white people did (X)!"

It is the non-racist thing to do.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...62aad4f8285c594 http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35651366

They were already covering up the members of the government raping children, so how is this any surprise?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Be incompetent and corrupt on your job, blame it on the fear of racist hysteria, watch the flames.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

themrguy posted:

i dont think anyone's dismissing the 3+ year old unfolding scandal, but rather the racist framing of a bad thread because some tabloid published a timely article and a goon decided to poo poo post about it

op mentions "pedophile gangs, pretty much all run by pakis" and uh well uh i can think of uh some other recent examples

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This thread will be a mirror of all the reasons it was swept under the carpet.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say child rape is bad and should not happen, also the Government ought to help and protect the victims of it. I know, I know a controversial opinion.

This really strikes me as not bothering/caring or at least rationalizing better use of resources and then later justifying it with "Well we had to avoid looking racist."

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
i am intensely skeptical that a modern government would actually avoid persecuting something as serious as systemic child rape out of a genuine concern of being seen as racist

i suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility, but it would be bizarre as hell if there wasn't another angle to this that makes more political and practical sense

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think generally the smart money is on them not wanting to investigate systemic corruption aiding child molestation in case it uncovers systemic corruption aiding ongoing governmental child molestation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Britain has an amazing immigrant integration program.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
watch out europe; couple million more child rapists en route.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
jimmy savile was an alien scout and he has returned from his home planet with an invasion force?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

The BBC article mentions "race relations" in an aside, but doesn't give any evidence for it or any further impression that this is anything other than a case of awful people paying incompetent/corrupt cops to look the other way.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Dazzling Addar posted:

i am intensely skeptical that a modern government would actually avoid persecuting something as serious as systemic child rape out of a genuine concern of being seen as racist

i suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility, but it would be bizarre as hell if there wasn't another angle to this that makes more political and practical sense

It's not as if "the government" had that as a policy. It was made possible by incompetence and poor oversight on a local level. Fear of "racism" appears to been a factor though as it seems unlikely people directly involved would just make that up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Britain has an amazing immigrant integration program.

The whole continent does, you lot are electing nazis and smiling through raybans doing it.

Also arrest every single person involved in these crimes, deport them as well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

doverhog posted:

It's not as if "the government" had that as a policy. It was made possible by incompetence and poor oversight on a local level. Fear of "racism" appears to been a factor though as it seems unlikely people directly involved would just make that up.

It's a useful distraction, like blaming SJW for poor ticket sales. The media eat it up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Political Correctness Gone Mad strikes again!!!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

doverhog posted:

It seems like a pretty efficient way to cover your rear end, actually.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

doverhog posted:

But the entire British establishment is made up of child molesters.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems like a pretty efficient way to cover your rear end, actually.

How's that? Seems to make the thing worse not better. It's an admission they saw the problem and chose not to act because whatever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

doverhog posted:

How's that? Seems to make the thing worse not better. It's an admission they saw the problem and chose not to act because whatever.

instead of saying "it was an institutional failure" or "we didn't take the allegations seriously" or even "some of our fellow officers were also in the child rape ring and we were covering it up" the best possible excuse as to why this was allowed to go on for so long was "we didn't want to make people mad at the immigrants" because it passive-aggressively shifts blame to immigrants, which is an extremely popular thing to do in england

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

...and yet, some say they're out of touch with the people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I keep seeing that, and I'd like to get a good overview of that whole thing? I know about Jimmy Saville, but that's it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

instead of saying "it was an institutional failure" or "we didn't take the allegations seriously" or even "some of our fellow officers were also in the child rape ring and we were covering it up" the best possible excuse as to why this was allowed to go on for so long was "we didn't want to make people mad at the immigrants" because it passive-aggressively shifts blame to immigrants, which is an extremely popular thing to do in england

And yet, that doesn't necessarily make such an accusation baseless.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I keep seeing that, and I'd like to get a good overview of that whole thing? I know about Jimmy Saville, but that's it.

basically a bunch of old ministers and lords and MPs got outed as pedophiles, and everyone all the way up to Thatcher knew it and didn't care too much, and everyone investigated conveniently happens to be just old enough to not sink any current politicians by association

also something something police looking the other way really hard

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MonsieurChoc posted:

everyone got sued, we can't take allegations seriously, oops we deleted all the witness testimony again, oops judge #4 is also involved better scrap the whole thing

It's covered Brown Moses press thread. Everyone in Britain born before the 80s is an active child molester. Everyone.

blowfish posted:

basically a bunch of old ministers and lords and MPs got outed as pedophiles, and everyone all the way up to Thatcher knew it and didn't care too much, and everyone investigated conveniently happens to be just old enough to not sink any current politicians by association

also something something police looking the other way really hard

To be specific an article was uncovered in the British Archives detailing a conversation between Thatcher and various MI5 security bods about a ministers predilection for children, with Thatcher's signature and commentary, summed up as "who cares but fucks sake dont tell Russia". The police denied any such evidence existed, and were surprised to find it did, and could be found accidentally, and was everywhere.

I think Flat Earth News covers some of the dismantling of the investigations into paedophilia but it may be another source that was posted here I'm thinking of; dozens of people were ready to be arrested, and then the department was stripped to the point of not having a computer.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 25, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

everyone got sued, we can't take allegations seriously, oops we deleted all the witness testimony again, oops judge #4 is also involved better scrap the whole thing

It's covered Brown Moses press thread. Everyone in Britain born before the 80s is an active child molester. Everyone.

in 2050 this will read "everyone in britain born before the 2020s is an active child molester. everyone", etc etc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

And yet, that doesn't necessarily make such an accusation baseless.

I think what you mean to say here is that it doesn't necessary make the accusation false, because as things are now it is pretty much entirely baseless except for one comment.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

To be specific an article was uncovered in the British Archives detailing a conversation between Thatcher and various MI5 security bods about a ministers predilection for children, with Thatcher's signature and commentary, summed up as "who cares but fucks sake dont tell Russia". The police denied any such evidence existed, and were surprised to find it did, and could be found accidentally, and was everywhere.
Unlike Red propaganda, rampant pedophilia is not a threat to national security :britain:

quote:

I think Flat Earth News covers some of the dismantling of the investigations into paedophilia but it may be another source that was posted here I'm thinking of; dozens of people were ready to be arrested, and then the department was stripped to the point of not having a computer.
:lol:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MonsieurChoc posted:

To be fair, some of them just gently caress dead pigs.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lyesh posted:

The BBC article mentions "race relations" in an aside, but doesn't give any evidence for it or any further impression that this is anything other than a case of awful people paying incompetent/corrupt cops to look the other way.

The other article is better about this but got shovelled under a paywall 30 seconds after I posted the thread :argh:

Wikipedia has some notes about the whole racism thing in their nest of articles on the subject (typical of wikipedia, it split each child rape gang up by city instead of having an easy central article).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OwlFancier posted:

I think generally the smart money is on them not wanting to investigate systemic corruption aiding child molestation in case it uncovers systemic corruption aiding ongoing governmental child molestation.

The head honchos so far indicted in the conspiracy were pretty well-connected in town, including with the local law enforcement.

The only difference between them and the national-level figures is that there was a nonzero probability (as evidenced) of national law enforcement eventually getting wind of the local problem and doing something about it, whereas if you own the national police, you're insulated from pretty much everything.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 25, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cabbit posted:

To be fair, some of them just gently caress dead pigs.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This is an absolutely horrific story. I wish the article was better written though because I feel like by far the most significant line of the story isn't the throw away comment on race relations (which sounds an awful lot like a rationalization) but rather this vague but seemingly quite significant passage:

quote:

The jury heard the Hussain brothers had held a grip over the town and had connections with police officers and some local politicians.

Why exactly the author of this story didn't bother to elaborate on what is by far the most alarming part of the story is beyond me. However the crap about "not disturbing race relations" sounds an awful lot like a convenient justification for good old fashioned police corruption.

I can imagine that having relatively balkanized racial communities who don't trust or communicate with each other very much fuels this kind of behaviour and makes it easier for the police to ignore it but this looks a hell of a lot more like a police corruption story than a "PC gone mad!" story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Spangly A posted:

:stare:

What's the Brown Moses press thread?

• Locked thread