Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MonsieurChoc posted:

:stare:

What's the Brown Moses press thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507541

Covers everyone being a paedophile except the press, who are criminal shills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Spangly A posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507541

Covers everyone being a paedophile except the press, who are criminal shills.

Thanks. Looks like I got a couple hours of depressing reading to do.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I updated the OP with this, which at least in Rotherham's specific case has a couple of councilors (which as far as I can tell are like a city council in UK cities) admit to the covering up racism angle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

-Troika- posted:

I updated the OP with this, which at least in Rotherham's specific case has a couple of councilors (which as far as I can tell are like a city council in UK cities) admit to the covering up racism angle.

You seem pretty well informed about this. Anything else contributing to the "perpetrators knew local authorities" or "police corruption" angles you could also add to the OP?

That article is heartwarming in some ways though. Pakistani Muslim folks from Rotherham saying, surprisingly, that this is some bullshit and the entire situation is some serious bullshit. :3:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You seem pretty well informed about this. Anything else contributing to the "perpetrators knew local authorities" or "police corruption" angles you could also add to the OP?

That article is heartwarming in some ways though. Pakistani Muslim folks from Rotherham saying, surprisingly, that this is some bullshit and the entire situation is some serious bullshit. :3:

I don't know that I would consider that "heartwarming" as opposed to it being literally the only reasonable reaponse

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's pretty tragic that south asian immigrants to england are so threatened by the average white brit's racist fury that many other white brits would prefer child molestation over the boozy snaggletoothed haranguing of english natives

if only they could molest children in a television studio or some kind of mouldering rural estate, the proper and traditional way, none of this would have been an issue

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 26, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

blowfish posted:

basically a bunch of old ministers and lords and MPs got outed as pedophiles, and everyone all the way up to Thatcher knew it and didn't care too much, and everyone investigated conveniently happens to be just old enough to not sink any current politicians by association
I think the only (then-living) Lord who had a case against him progress as far as court, Lord Janner, was - by strange happenstance! - a Labour peer. How remarkable.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Payndz posted:

I think the only (then-living) Lord who had a case against him progress as far as court, Lord Janner, was - by strange happenstance! - a Labour peer. How remarkable.

lets be clear, the case did not progress, because he was too old and infirm to respond. It was honestly surprising he died, as it meant he wasn't lying.

A trial of facts was recommended and could have taken place but that got scrapped when he died. Pissflaps is an expert on the reasoning, I'm sure he could contribute more.

Helsing posted:

Why exactly the author of this story didn't bother to elaborate on what is by far the most alarming part of the story is beyond me. However the crap about "not disturbing race relations" sounds an awful lot like a convenient justification for good old fashioned police corruption.

Any journalist capable of carrying out an investigation in detail would never progress in their career past school newspaper. It is, specifically, a trait to be avoided in the press. What the entire Murdoch, unaffiliated and state media do is repost AP summations and then link you to something class-appropriate about immigrants or immigrant nannies, and the strictly come dancing results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjENnyQupow

Noam Chomsky has an excellent oversight into why this is such.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 26, 2016

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Spangly A posted:

To be specific an article was uncovered in the British Archives detailing a conversation between Thatcher and various MI5 security bods about a ministers predilection for children, with Thatcher's signature and commentary, summed up as "who cares but fucks sake dont tell Russia". The police denied any such evidence existed, and were surprised to find it did, and could be found accidentally, and was everywhere.

Do you have a link to anything about this article specifically? I knew about her magical barrier that makes all dossiers sent to her disappear and her getting whiny about calling people pedos in Parliament but I didn't know about this one.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

-Troika- posted:

That's quite possibly because "we didn't want to look racist" beats the poo poo out of "those dudes were paying us to keep quiet"

The problem that I have with the racism angle is that all of the evidence for it sounds an awful lot like "I don't recall that series of lengthy meetings that I attended meticulously." There is no corroboration from higher-ups, who have specifically denied it. There is no presented evidence that this town is particularly non-racist for British police or similar.

The other evidence in that article is along the lines of:

quote:

Prof Jay's report said that while ethnicity did not impact on the way front-line staff dealt with cases, it did affect the wider picture, with some staff in children's social care saying they were "advised by their managers to be cautious about referring to the ethnicity of the perpetrators" in reports.

No poo poo you shouldn't mention things that are irrelevant. Mention if they're related or in the same community or whatever, but the three men convicted in this case were two brothers and their uncle. And then there were two white British women also convicted. How would throwing ethnicity into reports on children's social services have helped this case?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Kaislioc posted:

Do you have a link to anything about this article specifically? I knew about her magical barrier that makes all dossiers sent to her disappear and her getting whiny about calling people pedos in Parliament but I didn't know about this one.

discovery of said file

I can't find anything in the Press relating to the file being opened but I have a strong memory of reading commentary on the file, so I'll look some more.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...62aad4f8285c594 http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35651366

For those unfamiliar with the general situation, it's come to light in the past few years that in Rotherham, and at least nine other cities in the UK, there have been huge organized rape and pedophilia rings, pretty all run by Pakistani immigrants, which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

This went on from around 1997 (and possibly earlier) right up through 2012 when the Times published an article on the subject.

The extent of police involvement and coverups was relatively unknown until recently, however.

Not much of a cover-up is needed. Most people do not care about trafficked girls. You for example, only care in this instance because it allows you to take your racism for a walk.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lyesh posted:

That's quite possibly because "we didn't want to look racist" beats the poo poo out of "those dudes were paying us to keep quiet"

The problem that I have with the racism angle is that all of the evidence for it sounds an awful lot like "I don't recall that series of lengthy meetings that I attended meticulously." There is no corroboration from higher-ups, who have specifically denied it. There is no presented evidence that this town is particularly non-racist for British police or similar.

The other evidence in that article is along the lines of:

No poo poo you shouldn't mention things that are irrelevant. Mention if they're related or in the same community or whatever, but the three men convicted in this case were two brothers and their uncle. And then there were two white British women also convicted. How would throwing ethnicity into reports on children's social services have helped this case?

Almost everyone involved in this series of pedophilia rings is Pakistani. How could their ethnicity not be relevant?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

-Troika- posted:

Almost everyone involved in this series of pedophilia rings is Pakistani. How could their ethnicity not be relevant?

Presumably in the same way that you will probably find racially homgenous crime groups all over the place?

Turns out criminals aren't very nice people a lot of the time and are often pretty racist.

But you probably don't get many headlines with "gang of white british political figures commit serial crimes" because when it's white people we don't make the argument that criminality is an inherent aspect of their race.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 26, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I heard a lot of white people committed organised sex crimes for decades and the police didn't investigate them either, they must just be really really afraid of being called racist its pc gone mad

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

sorry man, you're going to have to explain your latent racist beliefs to us non-racists in more detail than that, because i'm not seeing it. why do you think non-white people are more likely to be sexual deviants?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Lyesh posted:

There's been a lot of cases in Britain where child molesters of Asian descent have formed what are essentially criminal gangs focused on sex trafficking. It seems like there's an ethnic divide in how pedophiles operate in the UK, and if that's the case then ethnicity is relevant and could have helped by, for example, correctly suggesting to police that the sex ring was larger than the people initially arrested. That said, I agree with most everyone here that the evidence here to suggest a "climate of political correctness" had anything to do with the investigation's failures is paper-thin at best.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When a woman claims a purse snatcher is a black man, should the police haul in 5 people of different ethnicities just to make things look less racist for the lineup? No, instead they haul in 5 black guys. This is the same principle-- when almost all of the pedophile gang activity in the area is organized and run by Pakistanis, the cops definitely should be keeping a closer eye on the Pakistani community. It sucks for the larger innocent portion of that community, yes, but as forums poster Thug Lessons pointed out, there honestly is an ethnic divide and it would be sloppy to ignore it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

Is it relevant when almost everyone is white? Explain how.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Not much of a cover-up is needed. Most people do not care about trafficked girls. You for example, only care in this instance because it allows you to take your racism for a walk.

I think this is bit disingenuous. I would not say "most people don't care about trafficked girls" but more like the opposite, that there's a culture of moral panic over pedophilia.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

When a woman claims a purse snatcher is a black man, should the police haul in 5 people of different ethnicities just to make things look less racist for the lineup? No, instead they haul in 5 black guys. This is the same principle-- when almost all of the pedophile gang activity in the area is organized and run by Pakistanis, the cops definitely should be keeping a closer eye on the Pakistani community. It sucks for the larger innocent portion of that community, yes, but as forums poster Thug Lessons pointed out, there honestly is an ethnic divide and it would be sloppy to ignore it.

is it actually true that pakistanis are more likely to be pedophiles, or are you just narrowing in on this high profile case because you enjoy feeding a natural racial bias against non-white people? i assume the latter is more likely, given my superior grasp of statistics

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

I think this is bit disingenuous. I would not say "most people don't care about trafficked girls" but more like the opposite, that there's a culture of moral panic over pedophilia.

Moral panic implies that the thing being paniced about either doesn't exist, or isn't as big a deal as some think. In this case, there actually are huge gangs of pedophiles in at least ten different cities around the UK, which operated with, at best, indifference from the police and authorities, and at worst, with active support and participation.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

In this case, there actually are huge gangs of pedophiles in at least ten different cities around the UK, which operated with, at best, indifference from the police and authorities, and at worst, with active support and participation.

oh i'm sure there are more than ten cities in the uk that have Peers

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Thug Lessons posted:

I would absolutely say it. People pretend to be outraged when they hear about it, but they don't advocate for investigations or changes to the law that would reduce it. I can only conclude that people are fundamentally ok with men having sex with underage girls, especially when they can seize on anything at all about those girls that makes them different from them (poorer, foreign, in foster care etc).

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I've started reading the Rotterdam report, because that seems like a good way to learn what actually happened in this case. Immediately out jumps one specific, non-racist way that being colorblind and ignoring the ethnic component hurt the investigation into the case.

quote:

By far the majority of perpetrators were described as 'Asian' by victims, yet throughout the entire period, councillors did not engage directly with the Pakistani-heritage community to discuss how best they could jointly address the issue.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

SedanChair posted:

I would absolutely say it. People pretend to be outraged when they hear about it, but they don't advocate for investigations or changes to the law that would reduce it. I can only conclude that people are fundamentally ok with men having sex with underage girls, especially when they can seize on anything at all about those girls that makes them different from them (poorer, foreign, in foster care etc).

I don't know about the UK specifically, so maybe this is not the case there, but in the US we lock up a lot more pedophiles than we used to, have increased sentences, established more taskforces targeting them, etc. I was under the impression that it was similar in the UK.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

The specific girls that were being trafficked went to the police and the police didn't bother investigating for years.

The story here is that the loving police weren't even investigating anything because nobody cares about low-status girls.

quote:

We were contacted by someone who worked at the Rotherham interchange in the early 2000s. He described how the Police refused to intervene when young girls who were thought to be victims of CSE were being beaten up and abused by perpetrators. According to him, the attitude of the Police at that time seemed to be that they were all ‘undesirables’ and the young women were not worthy of police protection.
8.3 By 2007, there was evidence that the Police were more pro-active in tackling CSE. Senior police officers had established good liaison arrangements with Risky Business and progress was being made in protecting the children and investigating the perpetrators.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't know about the UK specifically, so maybe this is not the case there, but in the US we lock up a lot more pedophiles than we used to, have increased sentences, established more taskforces targeting them, etc. I was under the impression that it was similar in the UK.

In the US we generally don't lock up johns, or call them pedophiles.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lyesh posted:

The specific girls that were being trafficked went to the police and the police didn't bother investigating for years.

The story here is that the loving police weren't even investigating anything because nobody cares about low-status girls.

well they didn't want to be accused of being classist by taking lower class accusations against the middle class too seriously. it's PC gone mad all over again

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Grooming teenagers is not what most people think of when they hear "pedophilia". The moral panic is directed at something like a white van kidnapping preschoolers.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Lyesh posted:

I get what you're saying, but these things aren't mutually exclusive. Nobody cares until it comes to light, basically.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

I've started reading the Rotterdam report, because that seems like a good way to learn what actually happened in this case. Immediately out jumps one specific, non-racist way that being colorblind and ignoring the ethnic component hurt the investigation into the case.

Reading the report makes me think that the ethnicity thing is more of an excuse for not doing their jobs. It may have been a factor, but it sure as hell isn't the lede of the story.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Thug Lessons posted:

I get what you're saying, but these things aren't mutually exclusive. Nobody cares until it comes to light, basically.

Nobody cares after it comes to light either.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

SedanChair posted:

In the US we generally don't lock up johns, or call them pedophiles.

Well, we do at least try to lock up teens for sexting and all other sorts of heinous poo poo.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Lyesh posted:

Reading the report makes me think that the ethnicity thing is more of an excuse for not doing their jobs. It may have been a factor, but it sure as hell isn't the lede of the story.

Yeah, I agree with that completely. But the person I'm quoting there is an independent investigator, not someone spinning excuses for the cops. It's important to point out that the concentration on ethnicity is both fatuous and racist, but that doesn't mean we have to get carried away and banish it from the discussion.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

quote:

which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

is the main thing I'm objecting to. It gives primacy to something that's a tertiary factor at best.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah, I agree with that completely. But the person I'm quoting there is an independent investigator, not someone spinning excuses for the cops. It's important to point out that the concentration on ethnicity is both fatuous and racist, but that doesn't mean we have to get carried away and banish it from the discussion.

it certainly deserves to be banished from any discussion where the general issue of sexual predators is drilled down on specifically to use victimized children as an excuse to attack immigrants

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it certainly deserves to be banished from any discussion where the general issue of sexual predators is drilled down on specifically to use victimized children as an excuse to attack immigrants

To clarify, here you're referring to how this and similar cases are being discussed in the UK generally, correct?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Everyone in Britain born before the 80s is an active child molester. Everyone.

Except immigrants' children who were born in Britain before the 80s, because racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lfield
May 10, 2008
All pedophiles are Pakistani immigrants except for the ones who aren't.

• Locked thread