Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...62aad4f8285c594 http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35651366

For those unfamiliar with the general situation, it's come to light in the past few years that in Rotherham, and at least nine other cities in the UK, there have been huge organized rape and pedophilia rings, pretty all run by Pakistani immigrants, which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

This went on from around 1997 (and possibly earlier) right up through 2012 when the Times published an article on the subject.

The extent of police involvement and coverups was relatively unknown until recently, however.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lyesh posted:

The BBC article mentions "race relations" in an aside, but doesn't give any evidence for it or any further impression that this is anything other than a case of awful people paying incompetent/corrupt cops to look the other way.

The other article is better about this but got shovelled under a paywall 30 seconds after I posted the thread :argh:

Wikipedia has some notes about the whole racism thing in their nest of articles on the subject (typical of wikipedia, it split each child rape gang up by city instead of having an easy central article).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I updated the OP with this, which at least in Rotherham's specific case has a couple of councilors (which as far as I can tell are like a city council in UK cities) admit to the covering up racism angle.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lyesh posted:

That's quite possibly because "we didn't want to look racist" beats the poo poo out of "those dudes were paying us to keep quiet"

The problem that I have with the racism angle is that all of the evidence for it sounds an awful lot like "I don't recall that series of lengthy meetings that I attended meticulously." There is no corroboration from higher-ups, who have specifically denied it. There is no presented evidence that this town is particularly non-racist for British police or similar.

The other evidence in that article is along the lines of:

No poo poo you shouldn't mention things that are irrelevant. Mention if they're related or in the same community or whatever, but the three men convicted in this case were two brothers and their uncle. And then there were two white British women also convicted. How would throwing ethnicity into reports on children's social services have helped this case?

Almost everyone involved in this series of pedophilia rings is Pakistani. How could their ethnicity not be relevant?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When a woman claims a purse snatcher is a black man, should the police haul in 5 people of different ethnicities just to make things look less racist for the lineup? No, instead they haul in 5 black guys. This is the same principle-- when almost all of the pedophile gang activity in the area is organized and run by Pakistanis, the cops definitely should be keeping a closer eye on the Pakistani community. It sucks for the larger innocent portion of that community, yes, but as forums poster Thug Lessons pointed out, there honestly is an ethnic divide and it would be sloppy to ignore it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

I think this is bit disingenuous. I would not say "most people don't care about trafficked girls" but more like the opposite, that there's a culture of moral panic over pedophilia.

Moral panic implies that the thing being paniced about either doesn't exist, or isn't as big a deal as some think. In this case, there actually are huge gangs of pedophiles in at least ten different cities around the UK, which operated with, at best, indifference from the police and authorities, and at worst, with active support and participation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure the pedophiles are happy that you're here to cover for them, Sedanchair.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread