Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

For those unfamiliar with the general situation, it's come to light in the past few years that in Rotherham, and at least nine other cities in the UK, there have been huge organized rape and pedophilia rings, pretty all run by Pakistani immigrants, which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

huh i thought jimmy saville was born in wales, not karachi. learn something new every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

themrguy posted:

This is actually a pretty huge scandal and it's pretty dumb to just dismiss it with "Well rich white people did (X)!"

i dont think anyone's dismissing the 3+ year old unfolding scandal, but rather the racist framing of a bad thread because some tabloid published a timely article and a goon decided to poo poo post about it

op mentions "pedophile gangs, pretty much all run by pakis" and uh well uh i can think of uh some other recent examples

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

doverhog posted:

How's that? Seems to make the thing worse not better. It's an admission they saw the problem and chose not to act because whatever.

instead of saying "it was an institutional failure" or "we didn't take the allegations seriously" or even "some of our fellow officers were also in the child rape ring and we were covering it up" the best possible excuse as to why this was allowed to go on for so long was "we didn't want to make people mad at the immigrants" because it passive-aggressively shifts blame to immigrants, which is an extremely popular thing to do in england

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's pretty tragic that south asian immigrants to england are so threatened by the average white brit's racist fury that many other white brits would prefer child molestation over the boozy snaggletoothed haranguing of english natives

if only they could molest children in a television studio or some kind of mouldering rural estate, the proper and traditional way, none of this would have been an issue

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 26, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

Almost everyone involved in this series of pedophilia rings is Pakistani. How could their ethnicity not be relevant?

sorry man, you're going to have to explain your latent racist beliefs to us non-racists in more detail than that, because i'm not seeing it. why do you think non-white people are more likely to be sexual deviants?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

When a woman claims a purse snatcher is a black man, should the police haul in 5 people of different ethnicities just to make things look less racist for the lineup? No, instead they haul in 5 black guys. This is the same principle-- when almost all of the pedophile gang activity in the area is organized and run by Pakistanis, the cops definitely should be keeping a closer eye on the Pakistani community. It sucks for the larger innocent portion of that community, yes, but as forums poster Thug Lessons pointed out, there honestly is an ethnic divide and it would be sloppy to ignore it.

is it actually true that pakistanis are more likely to be pedophiles, or are you just narrowing in on this high profile case because you enjoy feeding a natural racial bias against non-white people? i assume the latter is more likely, given my superior grasp of statistics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

In this case, there actually are huge gangs of pedophiles in at least ten different cities around the UK, which operated with, at best, indifference from the police and authorities, and at worst, with active support and participation.

oh i'm sure there are more than ten cities in the uk that have Peers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lyesh posted:

The specific girls that were being trafficked went to the police and the police didn't bother investigating for years.

The story here is that the loving police weren't even investigating anything because nobody cares about low-status girls.

well they didn't want to be accused of being classist by taking lower class accusations against the middle class too seriously. it's PC gone mad all over again

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah, I agree with that completely. But the person I'm quoting there is an independent investigator, not someone spinning excuses for the cops. It's important to point out that the concentration on ethnicity is both fatuous and racist, but that doesn't mean we have to get carried away and banish it from the discussion.

it certainly deserves to be banished from any discussion where the general issue of sexual predators is drilled down on specifically to use victimized children as an excuse to attack immigrants

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

At least in the case of Rotherham, the evidence is overwhelming that ethnic minorities, specifically Asians (probably Pakistanis), are disproportionately likely to be perpetrators of child sexual abuse in cases that are reported. It does no good to anyone to pretend otherwise.

it's really disingenuous to try to extrapolate from "in the case of the pakistani sex offenders, the majority of the sex offenders were pakistani" all the way up to "pakistanis are sex offenders" like the OP claimed or PC gone mad like the tabloids are screaming

it's also disingenous to state "it does nobody any good to ignore the race of the offender" when the race of the offender is not consequential to the crime nor does it truly explain the local government inaction which allowed this abuse to continue. oddly enough demonstrations of corrupt white british culture were not front and center at any point during the BBC pedophilia scandal

which is why it's extremely suspicious why people seem to be so focused on race here. why it's eerily like they're trying to demonstrate how negative stereotypes of racial groups are factually true or something equally idiotic

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

Speaking personally, the reason I bring up race is because the cat is already out of the bag. Whether anyone likes it or not race is already a central issue in this scandal, and the right is having a field day with it while the left and center-left are reeling. Cases like this give them powerful ammunition to stand up there and say, "See? Muslims are criminals, just like we've been telling you", and I want to emphasize the force of those argument and the insufficiency of telling people "Oh don't listen to that guy, he's just an irrational racist". In this case I think that focusing on the deep problems with the police and council response is a good line to take instead, but in the larger picture I feel as though the people that advocate my positions are losing the war of ideas.

so you're saying that leftists need to incorporate the irrational racist panic of people who don't trust immigrants lest those just dismiss leftists as overly politically correct

no thanks, given that i'm not addressing a hypothetical british hoi polloi in my mind's eye but rather mocking a crudely framed whine thread on the something awful forums. i dont think appeals to the necessity of public debate are at all applicable on here, a pseudononymous internet thread where i make fun of people who are trying to equate skin tone with sexual deviancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

Not exactly. I'm saying that leftists need to take the current panicked mood into account and recognize that the right is making real political gains, in part because their response is insufficient. As for the rest you're of course right and I'm not telling you what to do.

yeah sorry dude i'm not convinced that we can in any way accurately apply 'the truth is in the middle' to xenophobic racism or clickbaity tabloids which prey on the uneducated and angry

• Locked thread