Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

The BBC article mentions "race relations" in an aside, but doesn't give any evidence for it or any further impression that this is anything other than a case of awful people paying incompetent/corrupt cops to look the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

-Troika- posted:

I updated the OP with this, which at least in Rotherham's specific case has a couple of councilors (which as far as I can tell are like a city council in UK cities) admit to the covering up racism angle.

That's quite possibly because "we didn't want to look racist" beats the poo poo out of "those dudes were paying us to keep quiet"

The problem that I have with the racism angle is that all of the evidence for it sounds an awful lot like "I don't recall that series of lengthy meetings that I attended meticulously." There is no corroboration from higher-ups, who have specifically denied it. There is no presented evidence that this town is particularly non-racist for British police or similar.

The other evidence in that article is along the lines of:

quote:

Prof Jay's report said that while ethnicity did not impact on the way front-line staff dealt with cases, it did affect the wider picture, with some staff in children's social care saying they were "advised by their managers to be cautious about referring to the ethnicity of the perpetrators" in reports.

No poo poo you shouldn't mention things that are irrelevant. Mention if they're related or in the same community or whatever, but the three men convicted in this case were two brothers and their uncle. And then there were two white British women also convicted. How would throwing ethnicity into reports on children's social services have helped this case?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

I think this is bit disingenuous. I would not say "most people don't care about trafficked girls" but more like the opposite, that there's a culture of moral panic over pedophilia.

The specific girls that were being trafficked went to the police and the police didn't bother investigating for years.

The story here is that the loving police weren't even investigating anything because nobody cares about low-status girls.

quote:

We were contacted by someone who worked at the Rotherham interchange in the early 2000s. He described how the Police refused to intervene when young girls who were thought to be victims of CSE were being beaten up and abused by perpetrators. According to him, the attitude of the Police at that time seemed to be that they were all ‘undesirables’ and the young women were not worthy of police protection.
8.3 By 2007, there was evidence that the Police were more pro-active in tackling CSE. Senior police officers had established good liaison arrangements with Risky Business and progress was being made in protecting the children and investigating the perpetrators.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

I've started reading the Rotterdam report, because that seems like a good way to learn what actually happened in this case. Immediately out jumps one specific, non-racist way that being colorblind and ignoring the ethnic component hurt the investigation into the case.

Reading the report makes me think that the ethnicity thing is more of an excuse for not doing their jobs. It may have been a factor, but it sure as hell isn't the lede of the story.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

quote:

which were actively covered up by the local governments due to the ethnicity of the perpetrators for fear of 'giving oxygen to racism'.

is the main thing I'm objecting to. It gives primacy to something that's a tertiary factor at best.

• Locked thread